I enjoy every day with these Millwall players, says Harris

NEIL Harris says Millwall are now looking like a “proper” team after climbing into the top half of the Sky Bet League One table with victory over Port Vale this week.

Harris witnessed a display of vigour from his side as the Lions should have been well clear by half-time at Vale Park.

Millwall came under more pressure from Port Vale in the second period but had the energy to defend stoutly after Mark Beevers’ opener and then clinch the three points in injury time through Lee Gregory.

“That’s down to the boys,” Harris said. “It’s the preparation and us leaving no stone unturned to make sure we maximise every bit of recovery and preparation we can.

“The boys are confident and that started with the home win over Peterborough – that was a big step for us.

“That gave the boys the confidence to go to Crewe and realise that at times we don’t have to have the football to be the best team on the pitch.

“On Saturday and (Tuesday) we dominated the first half possession-wise because we had the energy and the movement, we wanted to get on the ball.

“We have a strict gameplan in and out of possession but they also have to have freedom to make their own decisions. They are men and they are good players.

“We’re going to get some wrong, we’re going to give the ball away at times but then that’s where it becomes important that we defend as a unit and people like Jimmy Abdou have the recovery powers to use pace and energy to get back and win us the ball back and we start again.

“At the moment we’re looking like a proper team.”

Attentions have turned to the visit of Southend to The Den on Saturday with Millwall still looking for a first league win at home after a miserable August.

Harris said he expects a big attendance at the weekend in a fixture that, along with Gillingham, qualifies as the closest Lions fans will get to a ‘derby’ this season.

Expectations have been raised after a run of three successive wins, but the Millwall manager again stressed the need for calmness against a side that dropped into the League One relegation zone last weekend.

Harris explained: “I’m asking for patience from the players. When the other team have got it for a period of time we’re not fussed because we’ll win the ball back.

“And we will give the ball away because we’ve got some players who are exciting. But we will create chances and I think that’s what we have seen in the last three fixtures.

“The other team can have the ball but we will win it back and create chances and score goals.

Meanwhile, asked after Tuesday night’s game at Vale Park if he was enjoying the experience of being manager, the 38-year-old said: “Yes, I enjoy every day with these players, every moment I spend with them because of the banter, the spirit – they’re a proper group of players.

“I share their frustration as a manager, and as a fan to a certain degree over the years. I’m frustrated when we don’t win and we don’t do it right, but they’re never going to let me down on effort.

“They haven’t let me down this season or last season on effort. It’s never going to be that from this group of players. We’ll lose games of football, but we’ll also win games and we’ll be exciting.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

29 thoughts on “I enjoy every day with these Millwall players, says Harris

• September 17, 2015 at 11:48

We can now see a team Harris. How far we go. It's gonna be a journey we all take together see you all Saturday hope my voice comes back I've lost it to much shouting and cheering lol

• September 17, 2015 at 11:50

The players should be enjoying everyday playing for famous Millwall and working under Neil Harris.

• September 17, 2015 at 11:54

Lets see if we have a `Proper`team in the next 2 Home games.

• September 17, 2015 at 12:05

NH doesn't w*** around does he, this blokes has millwall runnin through his veins, it's deep inside him. He knows the terraces, can sense the feeling of the supporters and just got that stuff that money can't buy , that stuff that u either have or you don't have. When he speaks, it's not a put on. Bless you neil harris, for some reason, this is startin to feel very good.

• September 17, 2015 at 12:13

I Remember KJ having a Difficult Time when he first arrived but slowly but surely becoming a good team, unbeaten for 7games but then it will be unable to win for 5, looking at the champtionship on a coupon, it's just too hard to pick who wins every week....

• September 17, 2015 at 12:33

Harris also changed us to more defensive second half not long after we scored showing tactical awareness for me we not only defended our lead but added to it. I think he rested Morrison obrien for Saturday's home game. I also like to see the way the players celebrate together who ever scored. More passes in the final third.

• September 17, 2015 at 13:17

And to those of you who who bemoaned the loss of Shittu, Hoff etc. I say shame on you. Bomber is like 95% of us and he knows a sack of cacka when he sees one. 18 gone and good riddance. Eleven Millwall boys on the pitch from now on1

• September 17, 2015 at 13:45

After Tuesdays game the team should not be changed but add Powell,Pavey and Philpot for subs

Saturday is a key game which will look very interesting after last time round!

Prediction is 3-0 / 4-0 to Super Millwall

Roll on the weekend

NOLU WDC

• September 17, 2015 at 14:14

Well done Neil let's bring on Saturday. Be interesting to see where he plays Craig when joe Martin is back or if joe Martin even gets into the team

• September 17, 2015 at 14:19

Southend only allocated a thousand tickets I wonder why that is

• September 17, 2015 at 15:20

@dave666:
          If they sell them they will get more, its pay on the day for them too. I don't think they will bring more than 800. Looking forward to what should be a good win for us.

• September 17, 2015 at 15:28

@82wall: be good to give Harris and team a war welcome Saturday. Get behind them and hopefully be around the play offs around evening time

• September 17, 2015 at 15:35

three times holloway has said on his predict a score on sky sports that we will lose and we won all three. keep it up holloway, back us to lose and we will make you look the s*** manager you were. you are our lucky mascot onion munching p****!

• September 17, 2015 at 16:55

@TONY BLOCK28: can't see him managing again! But he's the past now onwards and upwards c'mon wall!!!!

• September 17, 2015 at 17:13

Is anyone reporting back to Sky Sports on how poor IH is at predicting his former club's results?

I would have thought a sports pundit should get this right or lose his contract.

Oh wait, he's changing his tactics on air as I write this and ... he's lost again.

He'll be broadcasting from a bunker by Christmas. A nuclear bunker.

• September 17, 2015 at 16:03

The best thing is? They are playing football !!

• September 17, 2015 at 17:42

@beethoven5: one hundred percent beethoven. I am sure more than one person from the club reads this site, as I have noticed some 'sound bites' from the club and some players that seem to bring up answers to questions that have been asked on threads on NAD. If they do can I ask like most of the fans please please can we play a more passing game no more hoof ball our players are good enough to keep the ball.

• September 17, 2015 at 17:54

Bring it on Saturday can't wait it's payback time same side please Bomber Harris.there starting to believe the Moaners have gone Quiet

• September 17, 2015 at 19:02

I believe that Joe Martin is fit and could replace Tony Craig!!!

Dont rest Carlos Edwards keep him until Shaun Cummimgs recovers from his injury it makes perfect sence now

if we win then free Guiness on the house ere

come on boy AOB will score another hatrick along with Morison and Gregory to make the score 5-0 MILLL

• September 17, 2015 at 21:14

Did anyone listen to obrien interview tonight

• September 18, 2015 at 07:23

I can't wait for tomorrow. I hope the team continue to give a good account for themselves. Just keep winning lads and who knows where we might be by the end of the season.
    I hope Ian Holloway keeps opening his mouth with his negative predictions. Everytime he does,we win games and prove him wrong. He is about as effective a football pundit as that fat W#@ker Steve Evans is at being a Championship Manager with ambition and having a realistic chance at promotion to the Premier League.
    Fat cnut telling us to enjoy League one. Continue being the Manager of the Championships whipping boys and it'll be League one for you you pie eating Tos##r.
    I hope our paths cross again so I can give him 90 minutes of mental torture and throw him a couple of Pukka Pies.

• September 18, 2015 at 07:35

@Millwaller: No way will Steve Evens be in charge at Rotherham, I doubt if he makes it to Christmas.

• September 18, 2015 at 13:05

“They haven’t let me down this season or last season on effort" Sorry Neal - that's rubbish. They was plenty of players showing a lack of effort in the opening 4 home games. Both goals from Chesterfield for example came from Millwall players giving up on balls they thought were going out of play.