Tony Craig: Millwall boss slowly putting "stamp" on team

MILLWALL captain Tony Craig feels boss Neil Harris is finally putting his indelible mark on the team.

The Lions won the second of two away games in four days with a 2-0 victory against Port Vale – who had previously been unbeaten at home – on Tuesday night.

Millwall came in for some criticism in August after four defeats in four home games, but they have turned their form completely around and have now lost just one of their last five, keeping three clean sheets.

Craig now believes Harris’ philosophy is becoming much clearer after three successive wins going into Saturday’s clash with Southend at The Den.

“I'll give him his due, what I've seen so far it's been good,” Craig explained. “Week by week and game by game he's putting his stamp and authority on his team.

“I think (Tuesday tonight) was the first time we've really seen that come through.

“He has the respect straight away. He had a great career as a professional footballer and now it's his chance to manage.”

Craig started the season in the centre of defence but was moved to left-back for the 0-0 draw at Scunthorpe on August 22 after injuries limited Harris’ options.

And the defender said he doesn’t mind where his boss picks him and is relishing once again captaining the side and playing week after week.

He explained: “I will play wherever I'm told. I've played the majority of my career at centre-back.

“I'm doing a job and I'm enjoying it at the moment. I’m playing week-in-week-out and that's what I want to do. It's fantastic to captain the side.

“I’m boring people with it now but it's an honour, I'm fulfilling a dream and hopefully I give a good account of myself.

"The boys are making it really easy for me, they're listening to what I say and what the gaffer says. They're a great bunch of lads.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

37 thoughts on “Tony Craig: Millwall boss slowly putting "stamp" on team

• September 17, 2015 at 09:13

"I went to Brentford and played three solid years as a centre-half and we got into the play-offs and got promoted in those three seasons." - reading between the lines there TC is not exactly satisfied with playing at LB but when he played there for KJ last time we got out of this division he was very effective at LB. Hard to drop either Webster or Beevers when both 6ft 4" and having a good game they will dominate. TC and Edwards have got great experience to collaborate with the CB's and then 'safe-hands' Archer in goal we got a great back line. Think Harris has now found his best 11 and long may it continue. O'Brien and Morison best to start and a great option to bring Gregory on whose very strong late on in the game when Morison is starting to fade a little as he showed against Port Vale, never gave up chasing the loose ball, won a penalty and scored.

• September 17, 2015 at 10:50

@Bexley_Lion: I think the upturn in form of both Beevrs and Webster is largely due to having the leadership and experience of both TC and Carlos either side of them. I know TC has his limitations as a full back, but right now this back 4 is working and if it ain't broke don't fix it'

• September 17, 2015 at 10:05

I've noticed there are less comments on nad. Very strange especially now we are in form. Have fans given up. Is this a sign of things to come

• September 17, 2015 at 10:19

@dave666: dave,could it be that some of our fan's just like to moan,there is one bloke who sit's some where behind me who [it seem's] is most happy when we are under the cosh and he can have a big scream up and s*** the player's off,on the other hand the guy who sit's directly behind me know's his football and i can have a decent conversation with,in fact he know's more than me,hard to believe i know but there you are LOL.
      So perhap's the poster's on here are like those two fan's = chalk and cheese.

• September 17, 2015 at 10:28

@jim1222: your probably right Jim let's hope we don't go unbeaten. We're will all the moaners go. I'm worried about them lol

• September 17, 2015 at 10:51

@dave666: they'll find something to moan about, price of wine in the stadium bars maybe hahaha

• September 17, 2015 at 11:23

@dave666:
          You sound disappointed Dave so here's a moan for you.
          Thing is I don't think much of Morison's hair cut. I mean when he looked like a skinhead he scared the s*** out of me and I'm not even on the pitch with him. Now, he looks like the cat's been at it with a jar of mousse. So, come on Morro! Get the razor out!!!
          Apart from that, all is well.

• September 17, 2015 at 12:40

@dave666: Its the same in everything, people only complain when something is bad, they don't shout when its good, because that should be the minimum standard, when we are losing games and getting frustrated we need an outlet for our our anger so we take to forums to moan and whinge and get it of your chest, when we win we can sit at home and work smug and content as we are getting what we expect.

• September 17, 2015 at 12:50

@brooker: human nature I know. We've all been guilty of it from time to time. I just think the teams worked hard turned results around for now let's solidarity. They have earned our support.

• September 17, 2015 at 10:37

@ DAVE666: don't be too worried about the moaners, they will find something . There's always AMBLER, the chairman, the kit mans ironing, they'll find it.

• September 17, 2015 at 10:56

@bordersarebest0170: as long as it's not the team Saturday. I really hope I witness a total millwall crowd behind our manager and team. They have earned it

• September 17, 2015 at 11:39

@dave666: There is a difference between the moaners who post, and people, like me i admit, who just post my concerns as constructively as i can ( except towards the end of holloways reign)............. I love this club............

• September 17, 2015 at 10:38

Starting to settle down now Wins breed confidence. Rome wasn't built in a day it took time if people stay off certain Players backs at the home games ie Webster and Gregory who are lacking a bit in the confidence stakes and are very patient with the Kids they might just start to terrorise teams Cmon Boys. Ps we are very good at slagging players of who Fk Off to other clubs and become big players and come back to haunt us so as I say Patience is a Virtue

• September 17, 2015 at 10:44

@S.A.S: team selection is key I hope Harris keeps the same team. It looks balanced. Fred is young and hasn't been at his best since Barnsley game but I'm sure he will turn out mustard in time he would be my only possible change. Defence must be left as it is for me

• September 17, 2015 at 11:01

@dave666: Dave i did not go to the crew or vale games so i cannot comment on the whole games,but from what i have seen on the highlight's, could it be that Fred who is now double marked is now drawing two defender's to him thus leaving more space for other player's,this coupled with Carlos coming back mean's their is more space for carlos to exploit,so as i see it Fred may not be as explosive because of the double marking,but he is making more space for other's.if so long may it continue.

• September 17, 2015 at 11:07

@jim1222: I would say partly that but to add to that just what I seen is sometimes he holds on to the ball just that little to long. He makes runs inside of the ball instead of running wide into space. He might be told to do that by Harris I don't know but his disicion making will improve in time. It's only my opinion

• September 17, 2015 at 11:14

@dave666: ment to say move inside off the ball my spelling is terrible lol

• September 17, 2015 at 11:25

@dave666: this is probably partly cos at wycombe he was given the freedom to do just what your saying

• September 17, 2015 at 10:40

By the way I'm not Moaning I leave that to her indoors

• September 17, 2015 at 11:40

The key thing I've noticed only recently. Is we are playing far less long balls more link up play with obrien in the team. Plus a stronger spine through are middle

• September 17, 2015 at 11:57

@dave666: I thought exactly the same Dave and long may that continue, especially with the bigger pitch. I also posted that thought Jim, a while back, that if Fred is being double marked we might get more space up front, whatever it is lets hope it stays that way. I do not go for predictions but I do feel that we are going to 'tonk' a team very soon. the number of chances that were saved by more luck than judgement on Tuesday was unbelievable. I also thought Tuesday was going to be a very important match a turning point if we got the win, now a win on Saturday and I think it will really settle the team, fans and whole club down and we can look forward to a half decent season.

• September 17, 2015 at 12:05

@lennie the lion: Lennie as you say Saturday is a key game. And will unite and settle down all . I completely agree with you. My only concern is he changes the team maybe drops obrien for gregs or brings sid back for beavers I hope not. The team on Tuesday is our best play it Saturday I believe we will win

• September 17, 2015 at 12:42

I think it's payback time Saturday. They stuffed us 4-0 last time! COYL!

• September 17, 2015 at 13:41

Millwall are on top form!!!

If we win this Saturday which we will for sure

its up to Gregory and My fellow country man AOB to score the ball at the back off the net and end home form into good home record of the season.

LET EM ALL COME TO THE DEN

COYL

• September 17, 2015 at 13:57

I think it would be madness to change the team this Saturday. However and I hate to say it I think resting Edwards for a match now and again may not be a bad idea once Cummings is back fit.

• September 17, 2015 at 18:02

I think there's a big difference between the bottom & the top of this division.
    For those teams at the bottom like crewe & vale, it's not a great problem, whether our defence is good enough for the better teams, I'm not so sure, we could still struggle tactically.
    However I think this is a better team than last season's.

• September 17, 2015 at 18:57

I think they should not rest anyone

just keep the same team and same momentum

COYL