Tony Craig: Millwall boss slowly putting "stamp" on team

MILLWALL captain Tony Craig feels boss Neil Harris is finally putting his indelible mark on the team.

The Lions won the second of two away games in four days with a 2-0 victory against Port Vale – who had previously been unbeaten at home – on Tuesday night.

Millwall came in for some criticism in August after four defeats in four home games, but they have turned their form completely around and have now lost just one of their last five, keeping three clean sheets.

Craig now believes Harris’ philosophy is becoming much clearer after three successive wins going into Saturday’s clash with Southend at The Den.

“I'll give him his due, what I've seen so far it's been good,” Craig explained. “Week by week and game by game he's putting his stamp and authority on his team.

“I think (Tuesday tonight) was the first time we've really seen that come through.

“He has the respect straight away. He had a great career as a professional footballer and now it's his chance to manage.”

Craig started the season in the centre of defence but was moved to left-back for the 0-0 draw at Scunthorpe on August 22 after injuries limited Harris’ options.

And the defender said he doesn’t mind where his boss picks him and is relishing once again captaining the side and playing week after week.

He explained: “I will play wherever I'm told. I've played the majority of my career at centre-back.

“I'm doing a job and I'm enjoying it at the moment. I’m playing week-in-week-out and that's what I want to do. It's fantastic to captain the side.

“I’m boring people with it now but it's an honour, I'm fulfilling a dream and hopefully I give a good account of myself.

"The boys are making it really easy for me, they're listening to what I say and what the gaffer says. They're a great bunch of lads.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

37 thoughts on “Tony Craig: Millwall boss slowly putting "stamp" on team

• September 17, 2015 at 09:13

"I went to Brentford and played three solid years as a centre-half and we got into the play-offs and got promoted in those three seasons." - reading between the lines there TC is not exactly satisfied with playing at LB but when he played there for KJ last time we got out of this division he was very effective at LB. Hard to drop either Webster or Beevers when both 6ft 4" and having a good game they will dominate. TC and Edwards have got great experience to collaborate with the CB's and then 'safe-hands' Archer in goal we got a great back line. Think Harris has now found his best 11 and long may it continue. O'Brien and Morison best to start and a great option to bring Gregory on whose very strong late on in the game when Morison is starting to fade a little as he showed against Port Vale, never gave up chasing the loose ball, won a penalty and scored.

• September 17, 2015 at 10:50

@Bexley_Lion: I think the upturn in form of both Beevrs and Webster is largely due to having the leadership and experience of both TC and Carlos either side of them. I know TC has his limitations as a full back, but right now this back 4 is working and if it ain't broke don't fix it'

• September 17, 2015 at 10:05

I've noticed there are less comments on nad. Very strange especially now we are in form. Have fans given up. Is this a sign of things to come

• September 17, 2015 at 10:19

@dave666: dave,could it be that some of our fan's just like to moan,there is one bloke who sit's some where behind me who [it seem's] is most happy when we are under the cosh and he can have a big scream up and s*** the player's off,on the other hand the guy who sit's directly behind me know's his football and i can have a decent conversation with,in fact he know's more than me,hard to believe i know but there you are LOL.
      So perhap's the poster's on here are like those two fan's = chalk and cheese.

• September 17, 2015 at 10:28

@jim1222: your probably right Jim let's hope we don't go unbeaten. We're will all the moaners go. I'm worried about them lol

• September 17, 2015 at 10:51

@dave666: they'll find something to moan about, price of wine in the stadium bars maybe hahaha

• September 17, 2015 at 11:23

@dave666:
          You sound disappointed Dave so here's a moan for you.
          Thing is I don't think much of Morison's hair cut. I mean when he looked like a skinhead he scared the s*** out of me and I'm not even on the pitch with him. Now, he looks like the cat's been at it with a jar of mousse. So, come on Morro! Get the razor out!!!
          Apart from that, all is well.

• September 17, 2015 at 11:28

@jim1222: your a big lump.give the geezer a glump

• September 17, 2015 at 12:40

@dave666: Its the same in everything, people only complain when something is bad, they don't shout when its good, because that should be the minimum standard, when we are losing games and getting frustrated we need an outlet for our our anger so we take to forums to moan and whinge and get it of your chest, when we win we can sit at home and work smug and content as we are getting what we expect.

• September 17, 2015 at 12:50

@brooker: human nature I know. We've all been guilty of it from time to time. I just think the teams worked hard turned results around for now let's solidarity. They have earned our support.

• September 17, 2015 at 13:01

@dave666: let's all show solidarity. It should read

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.