Striker Aiden O'Brien delighted with first Millwall hat-trick

AIDEN O’Brien has described scoring his first professional hat-trick for Millwall as “unreal.”

The 21-year-old scored all three goals in a 3-1 win against Crewe at Gresty Road on Saturday as the Lions maintained their unbeaten start away from home this season.

Despite his heroics, however,  O’Brien was quick to play down his achievement and insisted the team is fully focused on Tuesday night's trip to Port Vale.

“Today (Saturday) is a day to remember for me and my family,” O’Brien said. “I can't wait to go home and celebrate with them.

“I’ve obviously scored hat-tricks for the U18s and U21s but that’s different, it doesn't mean as much as it means now. It was unreal.

“I’m always confident, whether it’s on the pitch or off it, I'm confident in whatever I do.”

O’Brien took his first goal well from an awkward position before smashing home from 25 yards with a first-time right-footed effort and then finishing off his first treble in style.

The academy graduate waltzed around five Crewe players before slotting home from inside the area after the hosts failed to clear a corner.

And the youngster said his third and final goal was the best of the bunch.

“They were all different,” O’Brien said. “The second one was a well-hit strike, but I preferred the third one as I had to get through about four or five bodies and get a shot off.

“Most people would have thought I was going to get tackled and I thought I was too! But I didn’t, I got my shot off and it went in, so what a way to finish off a hat-trick.

“It’s always good to win and if you do that the camp is buzzing, smiley, happy and confident.

“On a team note we have to be happy with this result and now go on to Tuesday, that’s the most important thing. We need stay level-headed and forget about Saturday now.”

After two wins in a row, O’Brien feels Millwall will now be full of confidence heading into the game at Vale Park tomorrow.

“We won against Peterborough and now we've won again against Crewe," O'Brien added.

"So we’re going into Port Vale away on Tuesday with our heads high and full we are full of confidence. We’re going there looking to take all three points."

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

25 thoughts on “Striker Aiden O'Brien delighted with first Millwall hat-trick

• September 14, 2015 at 09:36

Enougher hat trick tonight obrien nothing less than that is required. And if we win tonight I will truly believe. Millwall have turned a corner. I think many of us dare not get carried away but.3 points tonight. And we all can sigh a big rellife

• September 14, 2015 at 09:48

@dave666: like you Dave I'm not reading too much into one result against possibly the worst club in the division BUT I haven't seen a performance like Aiden's in the longest time. Each goal was better than the last and showed the lad can put the ball in the net in three different situation. The goal outside the box was a screamer and the skill he showed for his third was amazing. A big mention to archer as well. Those quick reflex saves were premiership quality. If archer can control his defence then we may seen some stability. Likewise if aiden can find the same form on a regular basis, he will be more heavily marked which will open the way for Fred and others to get on the score sheet

• September 14, 2015 at 10:42

@Geoff the lion: we don't wanna put to much pressure on the lad. I was being flippant. With my hat trick remark. Portvale will be a tough nut to crack. Look at the pressure Fred was on after scoring two goals.

• September 14, 2015 at 09:53

We ain't playing tonight port vale is tomoro

• September 14, 2015 at 10:10

It's by no coincidence that our most effective players (Fred, Edwards and O'Brien) are our players blessed with the pace as well. Would be good to see maybe 1 or 2 more players come in with that sort of pace to terrorize L1 defenses, draw out penalty's, create goal-scoring opportunities and get on the score themselves.

• September 14, 2015 at 10:34

Not sure if you notice for the first goal it was Aiden who did the one two with Edwards and so was on the right hand side of the box he then instead of going towards the ball with the others looked for space in the box, not sure how much of that is Bombers coaching or natural instinct, whatever long may it continue. As for Roberts I said before would love to know the win ratio with him in the squad and when he is not there, as he has no right, at his age, to be bombing up the wing and beating players like that!

• September 14, 2015 at 10:49

@lennie the lion: I only know cos my mate texted me after Saturday (honest!) but Carlos' record is played 18, won 9, drawn 6 and lost 3 - inspirational!

• September 14, 2015 at 12:07

@Adsy77777: great having mates who think about the same things and actually do the work for an answer, tell him thanks from Lennie. He can't go on forever, I would not like to be the one who tells him that, but there must be a place for him in the managment team when that time does come.

• September 14, 2015 at 13:08

@lennie the lion: Some players seem to 'get' Millwall from the off and likewise, Millwall fans respond to those players. Carlos certainly comes into that category; I would love to see him continue down The Den in some capacity but hopefully as a player for some time yet!!!! Oh, and my mate said 'No problem' Lennie.

• September 14, 2015 at 12:13

@lennie the lion: lennie i wrote on another thread that i thought AOBs 1st goal was the best of three very good goal's,exactly for the reason you say,he played a big part in the build up and then finished well ,1st by getting into space and then finishing off what was an awkward ball to deal with.

• September 14, 2015 at 10:44

Put pressure on the kid, he plays for millwall. He can handle it.

• September 14, 2015 at 13:51

Well done AOB he got a great future I think he best goal was the the last 1 couldn't believe he got a shot with all the pressure around him great goal and skill COYL same 2mra

• September 14, 2015 at 14:16

It may also take some pressure off Fred, from reports it seems he is being marked out of games, now defenses will have two too worry about, not to mention Morrison.

• September 14, 2015 at 14:18

Struggling to remember our last hat trick.
    Help someone please?

• September 15, 2015 at 11:30

@Jim28:
        Thanks Jim.
        Dodgy memory although I seem to remember he was substituted when we were winning before they got their equaliser.

• September 14, 2015 at 14:35

Getting three goals is surprising enough, let alone a hat trick!
    The nature of the goals are what impressed me the most. No tap in's. Someone making something out of nothing, which is what we have been sadly lacking.
    Hopefully now will be a permanent in the line-up and will gain confidence.

• September 14, 2015 at 14:55

Blimey anybody would have thought Wall have won the JPT trophy - they beat Crewe away who are bottom - get real for pete's sake. If they beat Vale tomorrow then just maybe an improvement is finally being cemented. Yep Carlos back and a really solid Archer (IF ONLY DAN HAD BEEN PICKED EARLIER - BAD MANAGEMENT ALL ROUND) things might have even been better for instance - WE MIGHT JUST NOT HAVE GOT RELEGATED - FACT. Everybody shouted out for Arch to be played ages ago - so there you have it. So get a grip all you hero AOB worshippers I probably would have scored against CREWE and I am 68. Relegation is still a possibility and so is the play offs and so is Putin attacking Ukraine and dragging us into WW3 you never know. What about the scoreboard, Millwall Lionesses might get relegated, Fisher out of the FA Cup and above all when is JB & AA going to leave?
    Roll on the FA Cup first round draw remember when we beat Walsall and went all the way FINALLY if Wall want a big lump up front like SUPER HOFF get BIG BAD BEN MAY FROM BROMLEY WHO SCORED ON SAT - there's your answer NH don't need to pay half a million to BRADFORD for a player not as good as good ole BENNY MAY. PS I am not Ben May's agent.

• September 14, 2015 at 15:19

@Mekongriver: Ben May? You must be joking. He was s*** personified when he was here and he went futher down the toilet after leaving.
      I wouldn't let him wash the shirts let alone wear one. As for Hoff- Another total waste of space.

• September 14, 2015 at 17:56

@NICKOLA: the fact is that big awkward clumsy lump.(hoff(is the type of player we were after..if the hof could jump we no doubt would of kept him

• September 14, 2015 at 23:02

@Mekongriver: you're getting slightly boring and totally predictable. We all (I hope) know you ain't millwall so why don't you now just call it a day and f*** off

• September 14, 2015 at 23:04

Well done son! So proud of you and grateful to you for making us smile again