Edwards: It was a pleasure to put back on Millwall shirt

CARLOS Edwards said he was “emotional” making his Millwall return in the win over Peterborough on Tuesday night.

Edwards started at right-back in the Football League Trophy tie and supplied the injury-time assist for Shaun Williams’ winning header.

After recovering from knee ligament damage that kept him sidelined for almost a year, the 36-year-old praised the club for giving him the chance to continue his rehabilitation under the guidance of physio Bobby Bacic and the medical department, despite his contract having expired during the summer.

After proving his fitness he is now signed to a deal until at least January.

“I always say ‘practice makes permanent’,” Edwards told Lions Live on Thursday evening. “The harder I work the better I get at what I do.”

“I could give myself a pat on the back, but then again it was a team effort with Bob and myself and his staff.

“I think in this industry everybody will get a bit of criticism… but he will find whatever he thinks fits to get the player back.

“I had already prepared myself for the worst (after the injury) and it was just a matter of me saying, ‘Listen, it’s already gone, there’s nothing I can do about it anymore, it’s for me now to put my head down and work as hard as possible to get back’, and I did that and there I was on Tuesday running around like a gazelle for 90 minutes.

“It was a pleasure to put back on the shirt. It was a really, really emotional time for me. My wife came out to support me. The kids weren’t there because it was a night game and they were in bed, but being back out, in front of not much fans, but being at The Den made me feel, yes, I’ve worked hard and achieved something that I wanted to.

“I don’t think there are many clubs that would let a player continue their rehabilitation and actually join in in pre-season not knowing the future of the player.

“I think the fans also had a major part to play, they kept sending tweets and good wishes… and that inspired me also to want to get back playing.”

Edwards linked up with Fred Onyedinma – who is half his age – on the right flank against Dave Robertson’s side and outlined the advice he has been passing on to his young team-mate, citing a passage of play late in the game when the attacker lost the ball with Edwards overlapping outside.

“Sometimes it’s a rush of blood,” he said of the younger players. “You’re in that position, you’re like a horse, you’ve got the blinkers on and seeing straight and not seeing what is at the side of you.

“I know a lot of players at that point might shout and yell at him but I don’t mind players losing the ball or trying something in the last third of the pitch, you never know what might happen.

“He could have had a shot, it could have ricocheted and come to me and I could have had a shot, scored, or crossed for someone else.

“All I could say to him at that point in time was, ‘Fred, have a look around, be aware, maybe take a pace or two off when you’re running that quickly just to let your team-mates catch up.’

“You know, I’m 40, going on 41! At the end of the day I’m the one who has to get back.

“But I would never discourage any player from taking on a defender. Sometimes you have to be selfish, but it’s a team game.

“I said to him against Chesterfield, ‘Freddie, mix your game up a bit… teams are eventually going to know your strengths and they’re going to double-team you so when you get that ball call one of your attacking partners and play a little one-two.’

“And he said, ‘Yeah, I was trying.’ I said, ‘You weren’t trying, if you were trying you would have been shouting at someone to do it.’”

Meanwhile, Edwards pulled no punches describing Millwall’s home form last month, but believes the win against the Posh can finally launch their season.

“Teams have been coming to The Den wanting to get our scalp, they know if they get our scalp it’s a big bonus for them.

“That’s something that in the past was really hard to do – now it’s like taking candy from a baby.

“But August is gone, we can’t do anything about the games we lost and that game on Tuesday, I hope, is the stepping stone for things to come.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

26 thoughts on “Edwards: It was a pleasure to put back on Millwall shirt

• September 4, 2015 at 13:30

it is a pleasure seeing you wear it and giving your all, keep giving the youngsters your advice!!

• September 4, 2015 at 13:47

It's a f****** privilege to see you in a lions shirt Carlos! If only we could have 10 others with your skills, professionalism, work ethic and attitude mate.

• September 4, 2015 at 13:51

That's all we need in this team/division... Someone like Edwards who can get the team fighting and inspire them to work for the club and also just drop some advice now an then. All this team is lacking are some experienced, been there and done it type players who are examples for other players. If we had one or two more Carlos Edwards', we'd be laughing. COYL

• September 6, 2015 at 02:57

@JD1996: I know it was very early in the season when we lost Carlos but we were actually doing ok until he got injured. Be interested to see if our awful start now gets turned around with his return.

Unlikely that a single player, especially a RB, would make that much of a difference but be great if it is the case.

• September 4, 2015 at 14:21

What a pro this fella is!! Genuinely think he is key for us this season! Great to see him back in the side!

• September 4, 2015 at 14:29

Interesting how he picks up on Fred's defensive frailties, the thing is Edwards has the ability, confidence and footballing nous to help Fred and the team out when Fred does lose the ball. It's things like this that make Edwards a real asset, it's no wonder things went pear shaped last season almost the moment he got injured, Let's just hope he can stay fit for the rest of the year at least.

• September 4, 2015 at 15:12

He should have his contract extended to end of season, and be made club captain

he has more than his playing ability to offer

• September 4, 2015 at 15:17

It was good to see you back in the shirt..it was a pity you were all over the place..but more games will get you back to the player we know you are..all in all this was the right game to start you back..

• September 4, 2015 at 16:11

A very very good player,an example to his young team mates....and also sounds like a very nice guy when he is interviewed.

• September 4, 2015 at 16:14

" Carlos " The pleasure is all ours .

• September 4, 2015 at 16:49

Thinking after his playing days ,would like to see him on coaching side in some capacity ,I think his attitude would be spot on . Great to see him back hope it's the start of a few points on the card.

• September 4, 2015 at 17:03

Call him the fossil in the dressing room, already player of last month he only played 90 mins.

• September 4, 2015 at 17:15

Would love to know our win ratio with him in the side and what it is without him.

• September 4, 2015 at 17:29

Blimey this is player admiration to the extreme. Carlos has only played a few games for Wall and you are all treating him as some sort of SAVIOUR of DOOM. You sound like a lot of groupies and no doubt you all have a shirt now with I LOVE CARLOS emblazoned on the front. Harry must be spinning in his grave. I have thought of a better word yep The Messiah returns - wow still can't wait for the JPT draw - I reckon it will be Northampton away and it will be a penalty shoot out and Carlos scores the winner. He gets man of the match and is immediately loaned to Hartlepool indefinitely. Is Carlos a legend already?

• September 4, 2015 at 19:13

@Mekongriver: May I suggest that you lay off the vinegar....it's really no good for your prostate

• September 4, 2015 at 19:24

@bojim: agree mate
        No ones comparing him to Harry they're just praising the boy and rightly so he made a big difference to the side before he got injured and has been a breath of fresh air with his come back performance so far but you can't help negative p***ks posting on here

• September 4, 2015 at 21:28

@Mekongriver: what a shame, I wanted to post on Carlos but reading yours has made me put you 1st. Your a tit. "Groupies" you sound like your gelous and want us as your groupies. Grow a pair mate or do one, and try and be a man a give credit where it's due. The man has been out for nearly a yr, is approaching 40 and is the fittest player I remember that's played for our club and is one of the most technically gifted players I've seen let alone in a wall shirt.
      I look forward to your posts cause they put a smile on me face, I don't take em serious and like everybody on here your entitled to your opinion, but f*** me this one takes the biscuit. We've been rubbish for too long and it's put a tiny bit of gloss on a shocking start to the season. Harris has wanted decent senior players to play alongside our kids to help bring em along in the right way and without doubt Carlos brings that to the table. We've had s*** money grabbing over the hill mugs playing for us for too long and it's a pleasure to see an old boy with old school ethics in the deluded world most modern day players live in.
      Anyway enough about you.
      Carlos your a breath of fresh air mate and it's a shame your nearing your freedom pass but I'd rather have a player with your ethics and class associated with our club than the s*** bags we've had to put up with the past couple yrs.
      Proper gent.
      Welcome back.
      C.A.R.L.O.S, Carlos your the best. Woooooooo!!!!!
      Haha
      From your no.1 fan.
      Mekongriver, wink wink mate. Haha

• September 5, 2015 at 14:47

@Mekongriver:
      Do yourself a favour and crawl back under your stone.
      Can't you just shut up and allow a little football seasonal cheer for what has been a dismal 2 seasons??
      We are praising a footballer that shows the qualities we all hoped he would bring.
      Jeez!!!'

• September 6, 2015 at 03:01

@Mekongriver: give it a rest, always so negative. Plus I've got 500 'I love Carlos' t shirts to flog on eBay so keep quiet!

• September 8, 2015 at 20:36

@Mekongriver: i rarely post as trying to be as positive as possible without being deluded but you are clearly just out to wind everyone up. A supporter will try and be supportive instead of just finding sh*t to moan about all the time. I bet you would have been great in wartime with your give up and die attitiude. why dont just jog on and support west ham. do us all a favor

• September 4, 2015 at 20:33

I rather carlos 2 b our captain then tony tbh

• September 4, 2015 at 21:11

Congratulations on coming back from your injury. Hope your contract gets extended beyond January. You have the Millwall attitude and play the Millwall way.

• September 5, 2015 at 17:58

Im so pleased for Carlos the hard work has paid off I hope to see you in a Wall shirt for a long time to come ,he sounds like a captain to me .

• September 6, 2015 at 05:13

Class act Carlos, even a s*** loss feels better with you around the place. Best of luck mate.