Preview: Millwall vs. Peterborough

© Millwall FC
© Millwall FC

CARLOS Edwards may make his first start for Millwall in almost a year as the Lions chase a first home win of the season.

Edwards has been out since suffering a serious knee injury against Nottingham Forest last September.

Joe Martin could also be back in the starting line-up for the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy clash after he returned to full training last week.

That gives boss Neil Harris some welcome options in both full-back positions as he has been forced to field Sid Nelson and Tony Craig there this season.

Shane Ferguson, who has had his loan deal extended until January 9, was also brought in to add options at left-back but has missed the last two games with a hamstring injury.

Harris must decide whether to rest the likes of Fred Onyedinma and Steve Morison. Paris Cowan-Hall has impressed in a couple of substitute appearances, while Aiden O’Brien gave the side some much-needed impetus in attack when he came on for Lee Gregory against Chesterfield.

Peterborough, meanwhile, could give a debut to attacker Chris Forrester after he joined them from League of Ireland side St Patrick’s Athletic last week, particularly with doubts surrounding the future of top scorer Marcus Maddison who has been linked with a move away.

Peterborough have made a similar start to their League One campaign, losing three of their first four matches before showing an improvement to draw with unbeaten Gillingham at the weekend.

They went one better than their hosts in the League Cup though, knocking out Crawley before losing to Charlton in the second round.

Sky Bet match odds:

Millwall 13/10  Draw 12/5  Peterborough 2/1

Probable Millwall team:

Archer; Edwards, Nelson, Craig, Martin; Cowan-Hall, Powell, Williams, Upson; O’Brien, Marquis.

39 thoughts on “Preview: Millwall vs. Peterborough

• September 1, 2015 at 12:22

I would be happy with the probable line up tonight. Will be great to see Edwards back and hopefully Marquis can bag a goal and push for a first team place!

• September 1, 2015 at 12:56

@whiteliont: Marquis will have the same problem our other forward's have,that is the mid-field do not play the ball to them early enough,it's 2 touche's when 1 would do 3 when 2 would be ok and so on,when our forward's do recieve the ball the oppo's have time to get back into shape.
      Have you noticed how many time's other team's score from just outside the box,it's because their mid-field move the ball quickly,so when a shot is taken gap's are there for the shot on goal,with us our longer shot's seem to get blocked all the time.
      Our mid-field need's to support {get closer},on sat in the second half jimmy did seem to be supporting more and nearly scored,also one attack with fred was screaming out for jimmy to go on the overlap but he dropped off and fred lost out to 2 defender's.
      As alway's i am prepared to put my money where my mouth is so what do you think of this formation
      goalie
      1 2 3 4 back four

5 6 holding mid-field main job protect back four

7 flair mid-field to look for the pass out of defence few
      long balls

8 9 mid-field to support a loan striker with pace

the cross in our MF would allow player's like fred and paris to be more attack minded,as it stand's at the moment if fred has to cover his full back an attacking option has gone,with the cross MF the holdind MF can cover the full back and the flair MF can cover the holding MF who has gone to cover the FB then instead of Fred having to run all the way back to cover the FB he only has to run back into mid-field this would mean the MF being More mobile,but less ground to cover.
      Likes= get your coaching badge's and become Mllwall manager.
      Dislike's= Im talking a load of rubbish so sod off.

• September 1, 2015 at 13:05

@jim1222: I have no problem with any dislikes,but if you do hit the dislike button let's have your idea's on how we should line up,because the one thing i agree with COCO on is 442 is dead,specially when the two forward's play so far apart and dont support each other like our 2 did on sat.

• September 1, 2015 at 14:57

@jim1222: got to disagree there PP1.442 is certainly not dead IF played right...dont we have two young pacey wingers amd two good strikers..only problem is NH only plays one of the wingers.so if he is marked out of the game it would be prudent to play both..p.s yer mate fordey is playing tonight..FORDEY

• September 1, 2015 at 18:20

@jim1222: Liked your post's, cannot think of many teams that play 4-4-2, although I do not think it is dead because players dictate system's, NH I think will stick to 4-3-3 the problem is especially at home the full-backs do not push up to make a 5 midfield, the back 4 stick to a rigid line on the edge of the box, which means their wide men are picking the ball up in acres of space running at our full back, drawing a central midfielder to him leaving 2 against 3 in the centre, if the full back was on the half way line he could close him down leaving 3 against 3 in the middle, Pleased to see that Carlos may play tonight because he knows how to close down the wide man, get Martin to do the same, my team, Archer, Carlos, Nelson, Beevers, Martin Midfield Fred, Ben & Jimmy, Moro & AOB up front, youngsters will only improve the more you play them

• September 1, 2015 at 18:23

@Weller: Greg's or Philpott to make up the eleven

• September 1, 2015 at 12:37

id like to see Webster and Craig get another go together, the two of them were left exposed by the full backs against Barnet.

• September 1, 2015 at 13:09

I would just like us to get a home win even if it is just in the flange and sprocket trophy!COYL!!!

• September 1, 2015 at 13:50

@333lions: Did you know the board are lining up Hinge and Bracket as a new managment team if thing's get worse.

• September 1, 2015 at 19:37

@jim1222: Haha Hinge and Bracket ? If it gets any worse it'll be Whinge and F#ckit

• September 1, 2015 at 13:14

Good luck tonight Carlos hope you come through unscathed

• September 1, 2015 at 13:17

Lots of people calling for some one like George Graham to assist Neil Harris well if I'm not mistaken the first thing G.G would be sorting out is the defense, I believe he built his teams from the back, I wouldn't argue against it.
    Where is G.G theses days? Is he allowed to practice? last thing I heard of him was when he was disciplined for some infringement of the footballing rules.
    Many say it was G.G that laid the foundations of the Millwall team that won Promotion to the old division 1.
    Was he the in charge at Highbury during the boring boring Arsenal days?
    Well I think I could handle a bit of that type of boredom atm, can't worse than what we have had to endure the last few seasons.

• September 1, 2015 at 13:26

Joe Martin lokks a bit like David Seaman. Anyone concur? Put a wig with a ponytail on him and give him a tash combined with that expression on his face in the photo, am I right or should I be on my way to Specsavers? ;)

• September 1, 2015 at 13:47

@john H: How can a bit of fun get a dislike,but im afraid it's specsavers for you john lol

• September 1, 2015 at 13:55

@jim1222: beats@jim1222: beats me Jim, serial dislikers never sleep you know ;) any way I'll take your advice I'm off to Specsavers Surrey Quays in th e morning. ;)

• September 1, 2015 at 14:34

@john H: guess who I bumped into yesterday in Specsavers ?

EVERYONE !!

• September 1, 2015 at 14:37

@wallchef: It get's better LOL

• September 1, 2015 at 15:01

@wallchef: nice one chef

• September 1, 2015 at 18:43

@wallchef: I bumpted into a cross eyed man he said why don't you look where you are going I said why don't you go where you are looking

• September 1, 2015 at 13:33

I'd like to see philpott given a chance.

• September 1, 2015 at 14:05

Come on you lions put a smile on my face for a change. My missus thinks I am one grumpy f*****.

• September 1, 2015 at 14:23

Music to the ears Carlos!! , good to see ya back . Let's be as tight as a nuns c*** at the back and start finding the net. It's not like were not creating opportunities. Good luck to all , find some confidence boys.

• September 1, 2015 at 14:27

one word from my wife is getting on me nerve's,when i get home my wife ask's how did you get on,when i say we lost that word is spoken ,"AGAIN"
    Come on Millwall please,stop my wife uttering that word any more,unless we are on a winning run of course.

• September 1, 2015 at 14:50

It will be mid afternoon over here at kick off, I hope my commute home begins with seeing a 'wall victory. Don't care about the score, hopefully a striker gets on the scoresheet.

• September 1, 2015 at 15:37

John h @ .... Good post my old china.. Football is all about confidence . Our boys are some what lacking in that department . Plus I don't think Neil can pick them up. If I was chairman . I would watch tonight game . If no improvement on Saturday game. Then time to go Neil . New manger , new start. You always get a good reaction from the players. We must put the club first.

• September 1, 2015 at 17:23

@teddy.T: Personally, Teddy, I think it's a bit early for that, I think it would be better to wait and see how the team performs when all the players are fit and have got a few games under their belts but obviously if results don't improve it's a question of how long do you let it go on for before you take action. I'd hate to see NH sacked but if it has to be then so be it, club comes first no room for sentiment. Another other option as already said by many is an experienced assistant in the mould of G.G.

• September 1, 2015 at 16:26

Looks like we will be resorting to what NH said he didn't want to do and that's loan signings

• September 1, 2015 at 17:21

@dannyr2791: apparently everyone at the club is 'happy' with the squad. I wasn't expecting any signings !

• September 1, 2015 at 18:53

@dannyr2791: yes transfer deadline over no f***** wants to come to wall that says it all enough said !

• September 1, 2015 at 18:13

Can someone pls explain why he played Upson on the wing

• September 1, 2015 at 19:11

We are the club no fans no club.
    6 games to improve a bit then another 6 to improve a little more that should take from a diabolical team all the way up to a not very good team and by the end of the season if the upward trend continues we could be an okay outfit. My aspirations for this season have lowered somewhat. ;)

• September 1, 2015 at 19:20

I'm utterly disgusted that the club has not signed anyone, it's an insult to supporters to be fobbed off with trashy reasons. Did they try or even wish to try? The team needs another forward and defender and I remember NH saying that he wanted to bring in a couple more players. It shows a complete lack of ambition and a vicious circle that will lead to falling gates and less income.

• September 1, 2015 at 19:42

You can not buy players when you have no money,do not panic because once we get knocked out of the JPT tonight,we can concentrate on going down. Mind you I heard we might be getting a loan signing in by monday,a scoreboard on a 90 day emergency loan with a view to make permanent if it shows us winning.