No excuses for Millwall's Gregory as he vows to "step up"

LEE Gregory has admitted he hasn't yet reached the level he was at last season.

Gregory, who celebrated his 27th birthday on Wednesday, was the top scorer for the Lions last term following his switch from non-league FC Halifax.

He opened his account this campaign with a penalty winner at Shrewsbury Town in the first game of the season, but missed from the spot after just four minutes in the 4-0 defeat to Coventry.

Gregory started as part of a three-man attack in the scoreless draw at Scunthorpe and he is hoping to get back on the scoring trail against Chesterfield this weekend.

“On a personal level my performances haven’t been as good as what they should be,” he said. “I’m just putting that down to just getting back into it.

“They haven’t been up to the level that they were towards the end of last season. I missed a lot of pre-season so it could be that.

“I’ve had a few niggles here and there but I’m not trying to blame anything. I just need to step up my game, I know that, and hopefully on Saturday I can go and nick a goal and we’ll go on and win.”

After three defeats in a row at The Den this season, Gregory wants to send Lions fans home in a happier mood this weekend.

He said: “I enjoyed last Saturday a lot more than the previous two games. The first home game wasn’t the best game but we’ve just got to get on with it.

“If we beat ourselves up too much it’ll just affect our game later on. We just have to dust ourselves down and build on last weekend.

“We owe it to the fans as well, we need to put a performance in at home and I think we will this Saturday.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

38 thoughts on “No excuses for Millwall's Gregory as he vows to "step up"

• August 27, 2015 at 08:09

You bet you Do !' Win Saturday COYL

• August 27, 2015 at 08:24

388 pitch time minutes and 1 goal from the penalty spot says it all.
    A goal and a win on Saturday would work wonders.

• August 27, 2015 at 11:01

@ohcomeallyefaithful: ffs, stop with the stats! Football is not played on paper. Watch his f****** performances! He runs himself to the ground every game causing panic in a lot of defences. That's about all he can do coz, let's face it, he gets possibly the worst service he could get. What are you supposed to do when the midfield and defence just aimlessly lump it up there? For what he's got, he's doing a pretty good job (let's forget the coventry game happened. Everyone has bad days) and people criticising him because of a couple numbers they read somewhere surely doesn't help.

• August 27, 2015 at 08:33

Lee I really hope you're not using last year as your target for the level you need to be playing at.

• August 27, 2015 at 09:52

@MFC Lion: my thoughts exactly! If goals were energy on the pitch then lee would be a world top scorer! Unfortunately they aren't. I liken his performance to us needing a professional brick layer and lee giving us a hod carrier performance. I must say he confuses me. I remember seeing some of his goals he scored for Halifax and he looked the total package. Positioning excellent, superb touch, spectacular goals. What's gone wrong?

• August 27, 2015 at 10:56

@Geoff the lion: Hello Geoff,i think the service from our mid-field has been poor,Gregory has often made a run and the ball has not been delivered,for a long time now it seem,s ,our forward,s have had to make most of their chances them self ,no quick through ball from the MF ,if we look at the scunthorp game it was gregg,s laying on the chance for William's,when have we seen that over the past two year's, our MF being in that kind of support situation.
        So when a half chance has come to any forward they are on their own.
        Last year against Brum AOB and gregg's combined for Gregg's to score a well taken goal,just like the goal's he scored at halifax,This year so far this year Morro and Gregg's are so far apart they play as lone striker's more or less,with little support from mid-field apart from Fred who now has at least two men on him.[i have only been to home games].IMO the reason we are not scoring is that the support from MF is on the slow side often a touch to many and the chance has gone .

• August 27, 2015 at 11:54

@jim1222: nothing's gone wrong, he was scoring against conference defenders and keepers

• August 27, 2015 at 12:01

@jim1222: Hi Jim, I cant say I disagree with you. the midfield supply has always been of concern, so your points are valid. you could also argue the same with John Marquis. another player with a high work ethic that has never delivered in a Millwall shirt!

• August 27, 2015 at 08:35

Come on greggs let move on now and step up your game we no what u are capable of u got 2 reach it now show us fans COYL NOLU WDC

• August 27, 2015 at 08:39

The way he turned that defender and laid off the ball to Williams agains Scunthorpe was class to be fair and if Williams buried it maybe we would of had a big win. I really think he's got ability and he is a grafter. I really hope he gets some goals early on in he season and some confidence.

Let's have a good win Saturday COYL

• August 27, 2015 at 08:53

He is yet to convince me he is anything but non-league standard. Very poor signing.

• August 27, 2015 at 09:54

@Charlie09: don't agree Charlie, second season in and still nothing! Think maybe you have a different expectation of gregs but mine is either to assist or score goals, and I'm talking over 10 which isn't exactly top draw

• August 27, 2015 at 11:20

@Geoff the lion: The thing is Geoff he should have had an assist against Scunthorp,bad miss by William's,also i will say again and again when our forward's get the right support from MF we will see goal's,MF is the big problem IMO it does not support the forward's as it should do in attack,and it leave's the defence without the proper cover on many occasion's .

• August 27, 2015 at 12:12

@jim1222: I hope you are right Jim. like I said before, he seemed the total package before he came to us. granted he was playing against conference quality, but I feel he hasn't even started to show us what he can do. personally id stick with him but as you wrote in an earlier post, maybe its the MF that needs to be quicker and more decisive to get the best out of him. its just concerning that he is now in his second season, although NH wasn't managing him, you would have thought NH would recognize what we consider to be the obvious. not an easy fix mind you but that's the area Id look in. last game against scunny with 3 up front, understand why but that only works when the MF are playing the same game. turned out that Fred became a one man mid field when attacking with two other strikers up from, both of whom played opposite sides so the one two combination never really got going. defense aside, I think we could be onto something really good, just hope the MF can step up

• August 27, 2015 at 13:06

@Charlie09: Haha I have to agree Charlie, what I will say in response to the "Negative Nonces", there is no reason why Greggs can't score more but in my opinion we have been lacking a creative player in the middle of the park for some time now!! Upson, Williams, Powell Thompson have a quality range of passing but both need to play further up the pitch and deliver those killer passes to the strikers or Morro & Greggs have to build a better partnership....

This website is all doom and gloom comments, nothing positive at all, ever!!!

Greggs has admitted he hasn't played well, which you can't argue with as it's a player being honest... better than most players and wants to sort the problem out and score goals..... how can that be turned into a negative.... don't worry the "Negative Nonces" will always have a way to twist it!

• August 27, 2015 at 08:59

Second season as a pro so let's not get too carried away, he has great attitude and a strikers instincts. all those that doubt him now will be eating your words come end of this season, I am positive of that.

• August 27, 2015 at 09:06

Reckon once he starts scoring he will start banging them in.
    A win Saturday please, make me happy when leaving the den, instead of the usual 30 depression!!

• August 27, 2015 at 09:22

Greggs will come good just stay off hiss back

• August 27, 2015 at 09:33

Hope he comes good but if nothing happens soon, he should be sent on loan and then let go.

Come on son, your living most people's dream!

• August 27, 2015 at 10:01

Gregory's performance at scunthorpe summed him up for me- 100% workrate and effort, good movement and nice lay-offs, but very little actual goal threat. Using someone like Le Fondre as an example everytime he played against us he could be inconspicuous for a lot of the game, until he got a sniff of goal then all of a sudden he'd be very dangerous, all top strikers have that instinct about them, and apart from brentford and brighton last year I just haven't seen it yet from Gregory. I do however have a nagging feeling that if we let him go, somewhere like Huddersfield perhaps, he would start to score goals by the shedloads, so I reckon we should perservere for the time being, maybe he needs a couple of lucky breaks in one match to kickstart his season?

• August 27, 2015 at 11:08

@Still_Wall: You have hit nail on the head,Le Fondre does not have to make his own chances,he just has to be in the right place when his MF lay on the chance,on the other hand Gregg's and our other forward's have to make most of their own chance's,then they are not on hand to take them because the oppo's defence have all the time in the world to cover them and where are our MF not suporting the forward but still outside the box in MF,unlike at Scunthorp where William's got inside the box to receive the chance laid on by Gregg's,also jimmy's goal last season he got in the box and scored,what i am trying to say is our MF do not support our Forward's enough as they are to slow in getting up to support them,that is why the forward's are not scoring.

• August 27, 2015 at 12:28

@jim1222: play Powell instead of williams & our strikers might get better chances or play Fred behind the front two.

• August 27, 2015 at 10:36

Hi go out and get nolan he will show you were the goal is cheers .tom

• August 27, 2015 at 10:39

Only early days this season give him time can't judge him on last season but by the end of this season we all will know I personally hope greggs and co come good sooner rather than latter

• August 27, 2015 at 12:45

How can so many people moan about Gregory not scoring enough goals or creating any chances,
    He doesn't get any service!! Midfield has been poor for years, need Jack Powell in the middle asap!

• August 27, 2015 at 13:05

Making the jump from Conference level to Championship level (last season) is a tough ask for any player.
    I feel that if Greggs had a player next to him which he could learn off i.e. like when Morison joined and he had Bomber to learn from, he would have probably adapted a lot quicker.
    I also think Holloway f***** up a lot of players last year and playing Greggs up front on his own for a large portion of games certainly didn't help.
    Hopefully Morison can help Greggs the way Harris helped him.

• August 27, 2015 at 13:07

@Syd the Lion: Amen Syd! I think a lot of people forget that Greggs played most part of last season as a "lone striker".

• August 27, 2015 at 13:15

Gregory is under performing when it comes to goals and goals are what we want from him above all else and his goal tally is what many will judge him by regardless of other aspects of his game being on par with most others in the team and that is totally understandable.
    I'd say his contribution to the team is as good as most but the all important avalanche of goals is yet to appear and unfortunately for Gregs other aspects of his games tend to get overlooked and a lot of people will focus on his poor goal ratio to date.
    Two questions does his overall performance warrant his place in the team ? and as is his lack of goals have a lot do with lack of service and support from mid-field?

• August 27, 2015 at 14:02

He was brought in to get goals & he's not really delivering.
    League 1 & he's still struggling. Give OBrien & LJ a chance.

• August 27, 2015 at 16:47

ffs, do we won't promotion or not. If we do, then stop f****ing about and get a front two who will score goals. If not, then please tell us we are not going for promotion this season. Stop taking our money and giving us false hopes.

• August 27, 2015 at 20:52

@ohcomeallyefaithful: I agree we want someone banging in the goals of course, who doesn't? the question I put was, is it all down to the the front two or is it down to poor service or maybe a bit of both. Two missed penalties might be a clue.

• August 27, 2015 at 22:34

I can remember how excited I was when he first came and I thought that we had a really good striker who knew how to find the net. Time has passed and the potential hasn't been realised. Good forward make the the best of opportunities and to turn half chances into goals.

Frankly we all know that we have lacked up forward for at least 3 seasons. Kane and Woods covered up our failings up front for a short time now we have to find a better option than what is currently available.

My theory for what it is worth comes down to our forward coaching, which leads me to some not so happy conclusions. Niel was our froward coach until he got the big job yet our current batch of forwards which he "developed" seem to runaround like men possessed but cannot finish the job. They have little concept of zoning and other aspects of forward play. To state the obvious the job of the forward is to score goal which we have failed to do for a significant time or regularly.

While not calling for Harris to go we should not be blinded by his legendary status at the club. Great players rarely make great coaches. Neil's comments recently regarding the positivity of the crowd had the stench of desperation and he is falling into the same spin as his predecessor. He has been a great servant to our club but he is not filling me with great hope with his current performance.
    For my part the jury is still out for both Gregory and Harris. I would love for my doubts to be proven wrong and to have a bagful of goals kicked by us in coming weeks.

Too many of people represented on here have put paid too much hard earned to be placated by recent "upbeat" comments for player and coach alike.

Greggs and Harris have been afforded latitude not shown to many others time to put up or shut up.

Start with a reasonable game plan please!

• August 28, 2015 at 06:58

Does anyone know if our players are on a assist or goal bonus? That may be a help! A bit of an incentive!

• August 28, 2015 at 10:29

If the brave c*** come forward for the dislike! Anorak I assume