Millwall's Harris wants "positive environment" at The Den

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

NEIL Harris wants players and fans to “feed off” one another to improve results at home.

The Lions won just five league games at The Den last season – two of which came under Harris – and he is keen to follow up a first clean sheet last weekend with a first win at home on Saturday.

He also pointed to the emergence of Sid Nelson, Ben Thompson and Fred Onyedinma this season as an important element in fostering a relationship between the team and supporters.

“A positive environment is key,” Harris said. “What comes first, is it the fans feeding off the players, or the players feeding off the fans?

“The good years here is when it’s been both: if the players aren’t doing it it’s the fans that get the players going. If the fans are quiet the players get the fans going.

“It’s got to be that way. It’s hard because you want to please your home fans, but you’re there to win a game of football.

“The perfect scenario is to win the game in the right manner, but we’re there first and foremost to win.

“We just want the fans to come and enjoy watching their team. Any fan that went to Scunthorpe at the weekend would have enjoyed seeing three teenagers in the team that have come through our academy, so I think little things like that contribute to the positive feel.”

Meanwhile Harris says he currently has no plans to loan out players such as Jack Powell who have been in the first-team squad this season, while he hasn’t ruled out new signings coming in before the close of the transfer window next week.

Harris said: “Jack’s been in every squad and is certainly in my thoughts and will continue to be so. At the moment we’re not looking to loan anybody out who has been in the first-team squad.

“We’re always looking for players we think could improve the squad. We’re always keeping a close eye on the situation.”

41 thoughts on “Millwall's Harris wants "positive environment" at The Den

• August 26, 2015 at 12:49

Afternoon all.

Another nothing story!!

• August 26, 2015 at 13:09

@Millwallsteve1972:

on the face of it a nothing story, but as always it tells the hidden message

- I don't want to be patronised by being told what I should enjoy - i.e. the youngsters who aren't that good compared to the ones other clubs develop - These are not 16 year olds - When we see progress in ability and team-play which amounts to good quality football then we might win some games. Everything is about spin - what about being honest

• August 26, 2015 at 12:50

That's all well & fine but winning at home might help first!

• August 26, 2015 at 13:05

As long as we get behind the team & get the den rocking then we can sit in the pub afterwards knowing we done our bit no matter what the result was. Coyl

• August 26, 2015 at 13:05

a bit like the sun news paper. but I guess it's not easy to write interesting news all the time abut maybe they feel they have to write something but if nothing has happened since the last club post, as I said not easy.

• August 26, 2015 at 13:50

@john H:

many of these interviews are driven by the need to put something on lions player for the subscribers

• August 26, 2015 at 14:34

@timchimes: yes I would agree with that, if they didn't say anything for too long a period then people would get restless so they might feel obligated to write something but it doesn't always make good copy sort of dammed if you do dammed if you don't scenario.

• August 26, 2015 at 13:05

Some positive play from the players then might get the crowd being positive.

We've only been waiting for 4 seasons!

• August 26, 2015 at 13:24

@MFC Lion: Too true, as it is hard to go to Home games and be confident of winning the game with all the dross we have had to put up with.
      Players need to perform at Home to get the crowd onside.

• August 26, 2015 at 13:42

@MFC Lion: Maybe if our Chairman had been here to sit through all the home games for the past 3-4 years he'd also realise why most fans feel so demoralised. The situation just seems never ending - awful football, terrible results and a squad that seems to get weaker each season. Hopefully the team can give us something to cheer about on Saturday, but personally I've lost all confidence in where the club is going.

• August 26, 2015 at 13:28

The players need to take the initiative here, we have had to put up with shrinking violets for the past to seasons and it has been painful to watch. They need to step up by playing with courage & confidence, and if the eff up I expect to see player who are willing to run & battle to win the ball back. We have some promising young players but lack a fighting spirit, for me Nelson shows the correct attitude and if experienced player such as Craig, Williams, Morison do the same the crowd will get involved!! Think Edwards will be a blessing, he is a quality player and leads by example, really hope he can still produce the goods!!

• August 26, 2015 at 13:46

Confidence is what you get from a supportive environment, no matter how good you are at work, school, your job, parent, or footballer, I every time you done something wrong someone shouted abuse at you it will effect your confidence, this team are trying to gel support them and we will get results of not we won't its that simple. coyl

• August 26, 2015 at 14:16

@mewall62: quite agree some fans seem to be only happy when they are having a pop at our players. However saying that watching us lose at home every week is so draining it gets to the point when you actually look forward to us playing away and not having to go through the whole ninety minutes with the feeling of dread. But I do believe we are very slowly getting there, probably to slow for this year, which after only a couple of home games is probably not a sensible assumption to make, and it is based on such fine margins, for instance, in the Barnsley match, after going 2-2 I thought we were the only team likely to score a winner and we had really good chances to do so. If that had happened the mood going into Saturday would be completely different following the draw last Saturday. I have said before I think this year will be one of patience but it is up to the players to give us something to cheer even if it is just a little more than we have endured for the last couple of seasons.

• August 26, 2015 at 14:15

If we want excitement, this could bring it for us.

Defence, I'd like to see the following..

Archer
    Craig
    Beevers
    Nelson
    Edwards

Depending on the opponent, possibly adjust this to play Martin. Give Edwards the option to go forward leaving Craig, Beevs and Nelson back.

Thompson
    Williams
    Powell

As much as I love Abdou, I reckon he should be deployed in the latter stages to sure things up and gain us back some control of the middle. Ed Upson to replace Thompson/Powell when necessary.

Paris
    Morison
    Onyedinma

I think these three offer power and pace. Although, healthy contention between O'Brien and Gregory for the wide positions and then maybe just maybe Marquis can battle out with Morison for the lead role.

On paper, there is a healthy contention for each spot. I'd like to see this team start and build from that.

• August 26, 2015 at 14:17

Might we suggest a couple of goal scorers , then we can let 2 of ours go out on loan .

• August 26, 2015 at 14:28

The managers got a point, never been a boo boy myself but some of them take it to the extreme, they just sit waiting for there fav pet hate player to make a hint of a mistake an there on there case, 5 mins into the last home game gotta be record. What you've got think about is our supporters can turn there own players to jelly let alone the opposition so just encourage rather than slate em. 2 home games coming up and a couple of wins would do wonders for the players confidence however we got them so i'll be be doing my usual supporting my team.

• August 26, 2015 at 14:33

Big game Saturday. After seeing a improvement in terms of goals conceded at Scunthorpe. We now need to add goals and keep a clean sheet. I'm optimistic if you play the same youngsters they will come good. Looking forward to seeing archer in goal as I'm sure many wall fans are. Even though there was less than 400 the support at Scunthorpe was great. Positive. Load and supportive. I'm sure Harris seen that more of the same Saturday from fans and team. And who knows we might just turn a corner.

• August 26, 2015 at 15:37

@dave666:

this was said after Shrewsbury but then they rock up with a weak performance against Barnet - ah well that is only the cup I was told - then Coventry , then lose from a winning position against Barnsley - this is not the crowd's fault - this is a combination of players and team tactics not being good enough- Yes NH is getting the fallout from the previous 2 years and we need to be realistic in what the team can achieve this year ... BUT .. as always we are entitled to see improvement in players - When I start seeing Gregory take his half chances, when I start seeing free kicks hit the target , when I start seeing the defence play as a unit , when I start seeing a midfielder show control of his area , then you can convince me the team is progressing . Give NH credit , he saw Forde had to go - he saw Lee martin's performances were ineffective (sub at best) Weeding people out takes time, but I think it could have been done more quickly.

Neil you do your stuff on the pitch and we will do ours . If you put out a team that concedes 9 goals in 3 home matches , what do you expect? The crowd didn't cause us to concede the winning goal against Barnsley - it was you over-attacking and chasing a win because you most probably thought we demanded it. For me, the crowd is an excuse for players who are not vey good. Very rarely do players get stick for playing well. In fact I think the crowd have been incredibly tolerant of some performances especially Forde. There is the challenge; play well and it will be recognised.

• August 26, 2015 at 15:59

@timchimes: I agree with what you say. We are all in it together. I've been home and away spending hard earned cash like the rest of us. I want better I get angry frustrated. But I still go why I ask myself week in week out maybe I'm just stupid. But I won't to believe in our youngsters I want to believe in Harris. Rightly or wrongly. I still go through it. I'm sure if you asked all millwall supporters they would. Question why we keep going travelling all day to watch wall. Knowing we are less than average. All I know is their is no quick fix no easy solution. But I'm prepared to stick it out with Harris and our youth. I might only be following my heart. I cannot defend what has happened to our club. Will I be screaming Saturday. Supporting praying for a miracle yes. If that makes me a fool then so be it.

• August 26, 2015 at 14:40

personally I don't boo, but if I thought for one minute it would have a positive affect I'd be going home hoarse after each match.
    But each to his own you pay your money you take your choice.
    Having said that if a player is being a lazy so and so he or backing out of tackles etc then boo the focker into orbit.

• August 26, 2015 at 15:06

@john H: Agree give it a bit if they ain't tryin, but some of our players gregs,Cummings,Williams,upson, Martin,Webster are waiting to get it and tryin a bit to hard sometimes and mistakes come. Anyway 3 points Saturday and cheer everyone up a bit with a bit of luck

• August 26, 2015 at 15:06

18 wins out of 71 games, i think the den crowd has been incredibly patient , dont start using us as an excuse because as a squad over 3 years you have been shitt

• August 26, 2015 at 15:18

Sorry neil but you have to get some results to get bums on seats and a positive atmosphere

• August 26, 2015 at 15:32

I dont think anyone has the right to begrudge millwall fans for the lacklustre environment at the den. If like me you have to spend hundreds of pounds and travel hundreds of miles to watch millwall every home game you can take time off work to see then you will understand that the least you want from the players is a bit of passion and effort. I dont put the effort and money in just to sit there shouting and mugging off the players but this bunch have been mugging me off for the last 3 seasons. Still going Saturday as its my birthday I kight see us win for the first time since leeds home first game of the season last year

• August 26, 2015 at 16:06

@sadlier89: couldn't agree with you more..the den was a place no one liked coming .cos it was so hostile toward the away team and fans.no nice trip to london for these northeners.we got charlton down the road if they want to be wanted...but you know times are changing when these people now like coming to wall..and why is this its not the fact that we might lose.cos that as always happened.(mind you not to the extent of recent times)..they are made to feel more welcome then the home fans..there wrapped up like cotton wool and given there own stand.when alf the time there's only 3-400 of them..aboraks threw smoke bombs so did leeds but not one copper went up to nick em..then we get slagged of by our own club if they dont like the songs we sing...we are the most passionate fans unfortunately we are probably the most hostile.
      one thing lion fans wont tolerate is players not.showing the same passion when they pull on a millwall shirt

• August 26, 2015 at 15:55

blimey neil none of the whole of today s squad would ve stood a chance at the old den.with the articulate banter given by the crowd then.these are not boys but young men and should be able to TAKE some stick in this game if they are to survive and surely our goalkeeper is the closest at hand to take stick from opposing fans does he moan.i wont linger on the old den but this.singing all through the game to elate the players has disappeared ,i admit health and safety stop us today venting our emotions with the good old knees up mother brown terrace style when all was going adrift.bring back standing up.

• August 26, 2015 at 16:02

We dont turn up week after week to watch Wall get beat. We pay our money take our seats and expect the players to do their bit. We pay to watch and the quid pro quo is the players ( who earn more than most of us ) give us committment, passion , loyalty and above all, victory.

• August 26, 2015 at 16:12

Ups on ,Williams not good enough,drop Gregory ,bring in obrien/ PCH, Fred and Morro up front, get in two transfer targets, centre midfield and defender.

• August 26, 2015 at 16:29

I think this topic is going to be the elephant in the room all season.
    There was a really good interview with Steve Morison on Lions Live Radio last week, he made it pretty clear that the fans' impatience was felt by the team in the opening home games of the season. The natural reaction to this is to accuse the players of blaming the fans but I think we should respect him for being open about it rather than just paying us the patronising lip-service we usually get. He's clearly an intelligent bloke and also accepted that the team have a responsibility to get the fans on side too so I don't think he was just blaming us. It's a two way street. The thing is, it's been so bad for so long now that you can't help have that sinking 'oh here we go again' feeling if we get off to a bad start, whereas, for a player who's just signed, they might put this down to impatience, not realising how bad it's been for so long.
    The "who feeds off who?" argument is a tricky one too. I've only ever known a Den crowd to start the game in full voice and back the team - there have been a few occasions when it's been strangely subdued, but very few. The extreme good side of that is the atmosphere at The Den for the Huddersfield play-off match where there is no doubt the fans really were the stereotypical twelfth man.
    On the flipside, if we start by backing the team but get that 'here we go again' feeling when it goes wrong after 10 or 20 minutes, it's hard to stay patient, then it becomes a viscous circle.
    I went on a stag do to Barcelona about 10 years ago and we went to see a La Liga match at the Nou Camp. Can't remember who they played, someone mid-table, but it was a full house and a full Barca squad - Ronaldinho and all - and yet the crowd was virtually silent until the first bit of good play and goal, which is apparently the norm there where the onus is on the team to spark the fans into voice with their performance.
    There's no doubt that if a Millwall side come out and get off to a rip-roaring start the crowd are right behind them, then we have a chance to snap out of this cycle of doom, gloom and impatience. It doesn't help that playing us and at The Den is seen as a big game for many teams in League One. I think we just need a bit of luck in the opening ten minutes to set things on a roll, hopefully it starts on Saturday.

• August 26, 2015 at 16:35

the point about youth coming through the ranks, some one made a point earlier about other clubs youngsters being of better quality than ours and I'm agreeing on that one whats strange to me is how the hell can premiership clubs find better players at a young age , with all travel to training rules applied
    ( is that still the case ) do we not have top quality in south london or is it a simple case of young players looking much better playing with top class pros

• August 26, 2015 at 18:18

@spanner41: I think you have answered your question yourself.....put any of our youngsters in a good team and they will look better... they would be encouraged to take risks and at the same time will learn a lot from the older pros , whereas they are now afraid to try anything risky because the moron boo boys will be on their case

• August 26, 2015 at 21:14

@eio:
        Boo boys and short sighted coaches the list of talented young men with wrong attitudes or not the millwall way set in them get turned away way to quickly, (smalling not good enough, Jarvis (West Ham) (too short) list of players goes on .
        Daniel Johnson at Preston born in Peckham now in the championship week in week out.
        Young lad at gillingham adedeji oshilaja full back / centre back was found by Cardiff ! Really good footballing centre half tad short but quality lived on the door step of millwall all comes down to who's parents pay the most as youngsters then forget about football after they find a new hobby.
        Money over talent .

• August 26, 2015 at 19:44

I can't be the only one that remembers the crowd dragging the team through a game, I think it's a bit of a cop out to put all the blame on the players. The atmosphere at the Den can be fraught lately with certain sections getting jumpy as soon as a bad pass is made or a good chance missed. I understand why it is that way but nothing stops us from showing a bit of backbone and leading the team by example by getting behind them irrespective of the initial performance. We have to wipe the slate clean and give this new a manger and his young squad a chance and not the baggage of previous performances.

• August 26, 2015 at 20:55

This is probably Bombers way of subtly asking the fans to show a little more patience with the whole team not just the youngsters at home , he understands the club has come up short for the last few seasons and knows that the fans are angry .
    He probably now realises he may not be getting the financial backing that he expected when given the job but he is right we need to feed off of each other personally I think that starts on the pitch.
    I remember a few seasons back when we were three nil down with ten men against Birmingham the players were clapped off the pitch at the end because of the effort and heart they showed in the second half , maybe show that dvd to the current bunch of players . (yes I know some of this squad were in that team ) you stat nerds

• August 26, 2015 at 21:28

Give us something to cheer about then and I'll tell you we won't be cheering for that crock of s*** currently at the den and that's including the chairman and the other p****! Apart from fred let's be honest there is not 1 other player that cuts it. Jimmy is prob next best and this is about his level but the rest I couldn't give a flying f*** about. Oh and Carlos is an exception so 3 half sect players out of a squad of what 22. f****** laughable! The clubs being ur by some right proper morons! If they had ambition we wouldn't be where we are today! I give it 4 seasons and we will be playing welling and dartford! Reality time ppl!

• August 26, 2015 at 22:44

These are just my feelings but this is what i want every game. i dont want to see us attacking all guns blazing from the startbut,, i do want us to be a 'tough to beat and score against' team first and foremost !, and i want the opposition to know that we have the players to score goals and create chances, win tackles and put a foot in when needed,and wont be intimidated home or away !!!!!sometimes a thumping tackle can change a match ! I think harris will build that team, but it will take time as it seems the younger players will be given their chance, and Harris is a new young manager still learning. If you look back at JB's comments he is not expecting promotion this season, it will be a bonus, he has said that he will give time for Harris and the young team to prove themselves, but money will be available if required....

• August 27, 2015 at 00:45

I always back our player's I just hate when they ball watch or we play rugby it does my f****** head in it make the opponents have possession and they play football and score happen all the time since jackett went we gone down hill from there all we ask 4 is fight 4 the shirt and the club show heart and passion and play football I hate wasting my hard earned money on watching us play rugby no fight or passion totally s*** so lads back up or ideas or f*** off MILLWALL is life fight 4 the shirt COYL

• August 27, 2015 at 07:53

I though Bomber said he wanted his players to play the 'Millwall Way' and for The Den to become a fortress.
    What's happened ? Accepting we are only 3 home games into the season (all lost) its strikes me some of the players shouldn't be on the pitch.
    With a JPT home tie to come let's home we show a little more ambition than we did against Barnet and see if any of the other youngsters, apart from Archer, Sid, Ben and Fred, have what it takes. I'd prefer to lose this game if we can see a glimpse of the future rather than lose with the established players as we did against Barnet.