Joe Martin back in full Millwall training after injury lay-off

JOE Martin returned to full training on Tuesday following his ankle injury.

The defender has yet to make a competitive appearance for the Lions this term with Neil Harris using Mark Beevers, Shane Ferguson and Tony Craig at various times at left-back.

But boss Harris said the former Gillingham player is unlikely to be in contention to face Chesterfield this Saturday.

Sid Nelson sat out this morning’s session after picking up a dead leg against Scunthorpe, but he is hopeful of resuming training in the next couple of days and he should be fit to face Dean Saunders’ side.

Meanwhile Harris confirmed that Carlos Edwards, who penned a deal with the club yesterday, could be in the match-day squad but he would prefer his defender to get more minutes under his belt with the U21s.

28 thoughts on “Joe Martin back in full Millwall training after injury lay-off

• August 25, 2015 at 15:33

Still not feeling optimistic yet, the negative responses I feel have been justified due to the shocking results which seem to have carried on from last season.
    But with some personnel coming back from injury the team is starting to look a bit like the team we expected before the season kicked off.
    Archer in Goal, Martin at LB, Edwards RB, Nelson getting games, Abdou back, emergence of talented CM Thompson, Fred doing what we thought he would do, AOB coming back and Marquis not in the starting line up.

• August 25, 2015 at 15:34

@brooker: and then add in Morison which I'm not sure if we expected that or not.

• August 25, 2015 at 15:54

Welcome back Joe Martin !!!!

The position for Martin should be CB,LB or RB should say

COYL NOLU WDC

WE GOT ALL PLAYERS COMING BACK FROM INJURIES RESPECTIVELY

• August 25, 2015 at 16:09

I'd urge everyone to give Joe Martin a chance when he does appear, from what I saw in a couple of pre season games he looked a solid left back, eager to get forward,also very experienced in this division. I've seen a lot of people rubbish him already, not sure why?

• August 25, 2015 at 16:19

@Still_Wall: Totally agree.The new players need support & encouragement,got to give the fella a chance.

• August 26, 2015 at 17:57

@Still_Wall: Got to back anyone who puts on a Millwall shirt in my view. We can all hold our own opinions on players but when they are out on the pitch we should get behind them. The management know if someone is having a bad game without our input, booing and heckling only affects the player more. Cummings has been very poor in my opinion but the crowd getting on his back doesn't do anyone any good.

• August 25, 2015 at 16:20

finally we have a proper left back available, all be it not until next week. Will definitely add more of a balance to the team.Very experienced player who I saw whip in a few decent crosses during pre season. Joe Martin and Ferguson on the left sounds like a good combination that could work for us. COYL.Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• August 25, 2015 at 16:31

Give Marquis a go still not sure on gregory lots of Runs but no finish

• August 25, 2015 at 17:02

Yeah thats true give Powell and Marquis a go at the pitch for minutes to prove them selves

COYL

ROLL ON SATURDAY!!!

NOLU WDC

MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLWALLL

• August 25, 2015 at 20:08

@timchimes: that's right, let's sort the week out week in league team and experiment with the cup teams, that's where archer proved his worth! Let's just sort the important team out. COYL MILLLLLLLLLLLL

• August 25, 2015 at 17:28

Will be nice to see proper full backs in the team, Martin and Carlos, archer must keep he's place I would like to see ferguson left wing, I would try greggs on the right wing and Fred up front with morro, you never know could work.

• August 25, 2015 at 17:54

He has plenty of experience can't be any worse than puting a CB at left back could be a solid player to have just needs a chance and has to keep fit.

• August 25, 2015 at 18:09

@foxy: from what i have read in the local papers he was brought in for his crossing ...blu saturday m8

• August 25, 2015 at 20:41

@Jim28: worth ago Jim,you never know? Yeah might pop in the anchor to see you lot.

• August 25, 2015 at 21:54

him and edwards will make all the difference to or back line.

• August 25, 2015 at 22:33

Great news he back in training hopefully he fit 4 Saturday we do need him we been appalling bth COYL welcome back joe

• August 26, 2015 at 00:00

Seriously i would wait until after the international break to play martin ..does look like carlos is ready

• August 26, 2015 at 08:22

I was eagerly awaiting the league cup draw last night - then off course I remembered we were knocked out of the cup by Barnet who last season were 3 leagues below Wall. Then I saw Carlisle getting Liverpool away after beating QPR and to say I was dismayed and jealous would be an understatement never mind I thought roll on Sat who have we got oh yes Chesterfield at home.
    Now that is one to make the mouth water and then I thought no don't think so give it a miss - train fare, admission, few beers, programme probably might get a draw trip home thinking of what might have been Sir KJ given some money when it was needed and asked for. Yep I thought can't live in the past look to the positives for the future and yep got fed up again cos I can't see anything that really excites me. I eat drink and sleep Wall but the shambles that has gone on over the last few years is not really good is it - we the supporters have endured endless crap and put up with it cos we have no other choice. I am dismayed, sad and gutted that the only bright things to look forward to is the JPT and the first round of the FA cup. Personally I think we have no chance of promotion or even play offs
    or a good run in the FA or JPT. Oh well could be worse could be a Charlton supporter well established championship side in next round of League cup and 3rd round of FA cup - oh well dreams a that is what life is all about and of course MEMORIES. JIMMI ABDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO is a legend.

• August 26, 2015 at 12:57

Speaking of Chesterfield, Going back a while, 70s I think, we were in a promotion place in division 3 after having played all our games but Crystal Palace had two games left to play one against Chester and one against Chesterfield and CP needed to win both to pip Millwall. Big Mal (RIP) with the big hat and big cigar was in charge at CP at the time and I remember him saying all we (CP) have to do is beat two third division teams implying that CP were really a 2nd division team and the result of the forthcoming matches were a foregone conclusion, CP would win both matches. Any way the first match was at Selhurst Park and CP didn't win and we won promotion. There was a good few Millwall supporters there and at the end of the match and we all run on the pitch and charged to the other end in celebration. It was a long time ago and some of the details may not be 100% accurate but the basic story is true. Can anyone corroborate my story or enhance it in any way or even tell me I got it all wrong and was a relegation issue and not a promotion issue.

• August 26, 2015 at 14:06

@john H: yes spot on ..cos i was there in the away end with a lot of wall and unsually standing with the away fans..chesterfield fans felt sure we were gonna do em..but no we stood with them and sang chesterwall..there keeper had a blinder ..it was a good day out....

• August 26, 2015 at 14:27

@Jim28: Fun times Jim, running on the pitch always seemed a harmless act of celebration to me and no big fuss use to be made of it back then but it's frowned upon these days the pundits call kids mindless idiots if they do it. To old to do it now but use to always run on at the end of the match win lose or draw, but things are different now and maybe it's not such a good idea to run on the pitch but it's certainly not a hanging offense.
        I think the Burtonshaw saga changed things a bit, but that was blown out of proportion somewhat I think.
        One could walk from CBL to Ilderton rd end and stand behind the goal Millwall were attacking if one wished and say hello to friends and family on the way.
        All changed now for better or for worse who knows? I'll keep my pinion on that one to myself.
        Roll on Saturday hope to Carlos in action and 3pts.

• August 26, 2015 at 19:19

I know I'm just a nostalgic old sod but give me the terraces of the old Den over the west stand any time.

• August 26, 2015 at 23:17

@john H: running on the pitch is only frowned upon if it is wall fans..if its anyone else its called harmless fun..i agree about the old den or should i say The Den ...plus at least we had a scoreboard