Millwall's Archer delighted with league debut performance

The Lions had Archer to thank as he pulled off a string of saves in the goalless draw at Glanford Park, including tipping a Paddy Madden header onto the bar in the 90th minute.

Although the 22-year-old was pleased with his own performance, he expressed regret that Millwall didn’t win the game, and he hopes to continue in goal next week against Chesterfield.

“I was happy with my personal performance,” Archer said. “I'm disappointed that we didn't get the three points as we did have a few chances to score, but the boys dug in deep.

“Nonetheless it was a great point away from home.

“It’s always nice to make a few saves, the one at the end that I tipped onto the crossbar was my favourite as the boys had been digging in deep for the final 20 minutes, so it would have been horrible to have Scunthorpe score at the end.

“I’m happy to make the saves and help the boys out, that’s what I'm there for.

“I’m over the moon to make my debut and we are at home next Saturday so hopefully if I’m starting, I’ll look forward to walking out at The Den.”

Scunthorpe were awarded a penalty in the 79th minute when Mark Beevers was adjudged to have pulled down Gary McSheffery in the box. Madden stepped up and blasted over the bar, much to Archer’s relief.

The Lions keeper, however, wasn't convinced by referee Richard Clarke’s decision to award the hosts a spot-kick, and then waving away protests from the Millwall players when Shaun Williams’ shot looked to have hit the arm of Iron defender Charlie Goode.

“I thought our shout for a penalty should have been given,” Archer said. “I was screaming and jumping for a penalty to be given but unfortunately it wasn’t.

“Then Scunthorpe got one, and I'm not going to say what I said to the referee as I would get in trouble.

“I was happy that he missed it as I felt it wasn't a penalty, but they get given and thankfully he blazed it over.

“I was over the moon and I think I hugged Shaun Williams twice, but it’s nice to see it go over the bar.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

19 thoughts on “Millwall's Archer delighted with league debut performance

• August 24, 2015 at 09:05

Well done it's shows that with a solid goalkeeper the defence played with some confidence, still a point away and a lot more work to do.

• August 24, 2015 at 12:35

@vonhardshaft: think it's a bit early to call him a "solid goalkeeper" yet after just 1 decent game. Hopefully a lot more to come though.

• August 24, 2015 at 09:16

Good start to your millwall career. Keep playing like that and you will add confidence to our team. There is only 6 points between us and top of the table looking forward to chesterfield game. Fred Thompson archer obrien nelson should all start a young but hungry squad. The future

• August 24, 2015 at 09:34

We need at least 2 more players in,this side isn't gonna get in top 6 otherwise if our goalkeeper is MOTM,drop Williams.

• August 24, 2015 at 09:35

JORDAN Archer was “over the moon” with his performance on his full league debut against Scunthorpe on Saturday. - We all are Mr. Archer... sounds like we were fortunate to grab a point at Scunny. NH learning about his team and tactics all the time. 4-3-3 could be the way to go and it gets Fred involved a bit more with Morison and either O'Brien or Gregory.

• August 24, 2015 at 09:57

Archer played great .....he must make our defenders more confident ......hopefully the team will get more organised in front of him ......Neil must see the weaknesses ......shame we didnt keep Joss....

• August 24, 2015 at 09:58

Sorry I published this on the wrong article

• August 24, 2015 at 10:49

I want to mention this as I am not 100% convinced about it myself but is TC really one of our best 2 center backs at the club currently? I know he will die for the shirt and his commitment is total, but so far this season I have not seen him demonstrate better performance than Sid, Beevers or Webster (and that's not saying a great deal). Has Harris made the same mistake as Holloway and made his Captain a player that actually might not be first choice in the squad?

• August 24, 2015 at 11:30

@glyngo: spot on i posted this at start of season and got loads of dislikes

• August 24, 2015 at 12:48

@p: I don't like sounding negative about a Millwall player who clearly loves the club, but it can't be ignored. The rumours are that Beevers wants to move back up north, but until he goes he would make the team before TC at CB. Its a bit of a t*** up between Sid and Webster for the right side of the center, neither has been really convincing but I have seen Beevers/Webster play very well together, maybe that partnership should be our first choice.

• August 24, 2015 at 10:51

Also, Van Veen looks promising, lets hope our new recruitment team are identifying players like him much earlier so we don't have to try and sign him when he is on the train to Scunthorpe already!!!!

• August 24, 2015 at 11:03

congrats Jordan - clean sheet against chesterfield

• August 24, 2015 at 12:09

Im at charlton training ground to watch u21s Carlos Edwards here Aiden obrien and Paris Cohen hall. Kick off 1pm Carlos looks in great shape come on you lions

• August 24, 2015 at 12:56

@glyngo: I agree mate kick off delayed till 2pm obrien playing right mid by the look of it must be in Harris plans will see on Saturday

• August 24, 2015 at 12:29

Well Done Carlos Edwards to proving the fitness and earning new contract! Good Performance Jordan Archer even at the same time man of the match kerp it up and the more of that years of experience will come sooner rather than later

• August 24, 2015 at 18:07

Like I said I salute archer great league debut carry this on u will be man of the match every game and the goal keeper of the season we do need players asap to fight 4 promotion COYL NOLU WDC