Millwall boss expresses his "dismay" at set-piece defending

MILLWALL boss Neil Harris couldn't hide his displeasure at his side's defending in the 3-2 defeat to Barnsley on Tuesday night.

The Lions lost their second home game in four days courtesy of Lewin Nyatanga’s stoppage-time winner on a brisk autumnal evening in south London.

And Harris said he has questioned the players' characters after a third consecutive defeat in all competitions at The Den.

“I can't repeat what I said to the players afterwards,” Harris said. "They know in no uncertain terms of my dismay at the defending.

“I said to the players, ‘who's taking responsibility on set-plays, who's reminding the players to keep the ball out of the net?’

“That’s a big thing for me, the leadership in defending. I’m disappointed at the three set-plays we conceded.

“Two of them were second-phase balls and one went straight into the goal. Conceding from set-plays hasn't been a common theme under my stewardship.”

Harris added: “What has been common, though, is that we've conceded goals this season and that’s the headache for me, that’s what I have to put right and for that I question the character of the players, that’s for sure.

“I don't think we got a foothold in the game after half-time, I think we can have a pattern to our play and a game plan but I'm not putting out a team of robots.

“They have to make decisions and think for themselves. I give them that responsibility to be able to do that. I didn't feel like we controlled the game at all at the start of the second half.

“The biggest thing is we had spells on top and when you score when you're having good spells, it’s great, but when you’re under the cosh a little bit you have to defend.

“I spoke to the players before the game and said if we have a five-minute spell where we aren't in control of the football match, under no circumstances does that ball end up in our goal.

“It happened twice – once in the first and once in the second half. What topped it off was the goal in injury-time. It’s criminal for a home team to defend like that from a set-play in injury-time.”

Fred Onyedinma had given Millwall a 27th-minute lead with his first goal for the club, and the 18-year-old attacker then equalised when he headed in Shane Ferguson’s corner eight minutes from time.

And Harris said that while it was hard to think positively after the defeat, Onyedinma’s performance and goals were the main highlights.

“I’m delighted for Fred. We all know what a talent he is and what we think he will turn into.

“He deserves his goals not just for the way he plays but also his attitude for the game.

“The performance was better than Saturday but Barnsley are a passing team so they're going to have more possession, the stats will probably show that.”

“Again, we've had chances and there were some good passages of play in both halves.

“We worked the ball into wide areas and put dangerous balls in the box, scored two very good goals and could have had a few more.

“The positives are there definitely but, other than young Fred, it’s difficult while it’s raw in my mind to be positive after the game when we've lost another one at home."

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

46 thoughts on “Millwall boss expresses his "dismay" at set-piece defending

• August 19, 2015 at 02:27

Firstly what a player we have in young Fred!! He looks leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the squad at the minute and we will do well to keep hold of him for the rest of the season.

Secondly this long ball s*** has to stop... Playing at home and using hit and hope tactics nullifies our attacking threat and instantly puts our defence under pressure, we have to address that play book asap. Also our backbone has never looked so vulnerable TC is not the answer and personally I would rather see Beavers in his position on Saturday regardless of the captains armband. Sid played well today but needs to stay on his feet more.

today's team selection made no sense to me, there was a couple of good changes and I'm happy jimmy is back in the side but what's the story with PCH?? Is he not liked.. Him and Fred seemed to work well the other night interchanging wings and I would like to see more of that.

Finally does anyone know why Edwards has not been given a contract yet?? Another 90 mins under his belt yesterday for the U21 even at 50% fitness he's a better option than cummins who was atrocious tonight

• August 19, 2015 at 07:30

@taz1987: Our best defender beavers on he's way to Bradford who mugged us off through the summer. For the coaching staff and management accepting no responsibilty for the performances does not sit well with me, we do not look properly coached and the "tactics" weve used against 3rd and 4th div teams are mind bogglingly unsophisticated !
      Giving up possession for large proportions of the matches we've played is asking for trouble, lump it up and it comes straight back most of the time. In almost 50 years of watching millwall this as low as it gets or at least equals it, pains me to say it but the management team look out of there depth.

• August 19, 2015 at 05:44

Cant get my head around this start to the season, we seem as fragile as we were last term, and there winner came care of the Millwall captain giveing away an easy free kick in a dangerous area,the central midfeild was again weak and did not boss the oppoaition at home, plus points FRED jimming played well and imo Sid down well when introduced.
    Neil Harris really has taken on a posion chalice "crap squad and no money to better it"what happened to Tony Craig's batter cry of yesterday about "fighting for the shirt" I tell you what it was just ba*****ks there are too many players that are not even good enough for division 1 which is a very worrying situation & brings the possibility of the JB cashing in buy selling the ground for development.
    Sort it out a.s.a.p. and save the club and also bring back pride in us we cant have yet another season lie the last 3 PLEASE.

• August 19, 2015 at 06:23

@Barnlion:
      JB and millwall football club do not own the ground. We have a long lease (150 years) and the contract cannot be broken unless both parties agree (Lewisham council and millwall fc). That means JB cannot sell anything. We don't own any of the property, or the land that it sits on. If they want us to move, they have to pay us enough to fund the building of a new stadium. As for the free kick given away by craig. It was over 40 yards from goal. That's not a dangerous area. Any defence worth their salt should of dealt with it. It's the Most embarrassing set piece we have conceded from in recent memory.

• August 19, 2015 at 06:44

@82wall:
        To add to my point slightly, that's what winds me up about some millwall fans. Some accuse JB of wanting to 'cash in', and 'he's only in it for the development' etc, but yet they fail to find out the facts and figures before they spout all this rubbish. JB has thrown his money into an endless pit by funding our losses for years. He's stuck up for the club through all our fan issues. When we had the west ham trouble court case he paid through the nose to prove our innocence. He took the wembley incident quite well as many would of said enoughs enough and left us to get on with it after that. He also lost out on the development ages ago and is still here. He backed lomas and Holloway with decent budgets and is still paying Holloway off till this very day. My only issue with JB is I don't understand why he does it. Constantly year after year throwing money away. Surely it would make more sense to just spend big one season and have a right go at promotion? He's not perfect and I'm not having a pop at people for having an opinion, But at least assert yourselves with the facts before you all bad mouth a bloke thats been at the helm through some really good times at the club. He maybe naive and abit lacking on the football knowledge front, but I genuinely believe he cares. Lets face facts, he's not here to make money becuase we don't! And he's not exactly getting great publicity being associated with us is he.

• August 19, 2015 at 08:02

@82wall: Thanks for putting me straight on the ownership of the land the ground stands on, but that would still not prevent some buy the lease or the free hold and applying for a change of use, I am and was not knocking JB but as anyone who has spent a lot of money on an investment and then find that it is not doing too well then you cut your losses.

That is my point if we are a club (but really the team) cant put bums on seats then we cant buy the better player we need right now or when it comes to it employ a manager with the track record to take us on the league and then the divisions to where we should be.

I am not knocking anyone just saying what I think most of us who attend games also think and I know say week in week out on here and in the pubs.

• August 19, 2015 at 08:12

@Barnlion:
            To be fair mate I do hear what your saying. But like you, I also go every week. Ive been every game so far and am not missing a home or away game until we play wigan away late September. But I don't agree that most supporters feel how you do. I think most people like JB and appreciate what we have with him becuase of what we've had before(de savery, burnige, till, purser and even theo and reg to some extent). People that think we are attractive to possible owners are in dreamland. And lewisham would not ever sell the lease or the freehold do you not reckon people have tried? Many a man before JB have had that discussion with lewisham council.

• August 19, 2015 at 11:00

@82wall: A Chairman that stands up for his fans - whatever next. How some fans can't see through Berylson is beyond me. His appointments have been very poor, the regeneration debacle was very murky and we've become a club that pretty much only brings in free-transfers or loans. To be honest I became suspicious around the time he robbed us of our shares in the club. Even the failure to repair the screen, as petty as it seems, just sums up where this cub is heading. Maybe there are worse Chairman out there, but for God's sake surely we can do better than Berylson.

• August 19, 2015 at 11:07

@Micky Lions:
            How some fans can think like you is beyond me! So i guess we will have to agree to disagree. You will see for yourself when he goes, how good to us he is/was. If you go down a bit Youll see why I think we can do a lot worse than JB.

• August 19, 2015 at 13:03

@Micky Lions: 100% right

• August 19, 2015 at 06:39

craig put the tackle in coz martin got done 4 pace and was out of position, at fault was forde, rooted to his line and the bloke nods in from 4 yards out, now we've no cover at left back coz fergie done his hammy, beavers gone to bradford, webster utter s****, williams looks like he can't be bothered, upson to slow out of his depth, jimmy a yard short of pace, id rather harris went for the youth in our club than play this bunch of losers, archer, sid, thomo, powell, pch, philpot,fred, stick with the youth even if we get beat most weeks, rather that than the old guard who couldn't give a t***

• August 19, 2015 at 06:47

Just when you think things can't get any worse, they do. I cannot believe how sh*t we are. I'm not sad, angry I'm just fed up. I can't remember the Las time I enjoyed a home game.

• August 19, 2015 at 07:32

I said we would struggle this season but didn't think after 3 games we would of conceded the most in this division!

I honestly don't know what the chairman stands for anymore! It's all well n good writing off debts but the issue is money for new players. Something is very wrong at the club! I'd rather us drop another league or 2 and start again because we are a total shambles at the minute! Neil Harris our club legend is being hung out to dry by this board! There is no money so it's time to sell up and get someone in who has! We are a London club and I'm sure there are buyers out there!

Something needs to be done! We will have a bad season might nick the odd fluke win but were f***** and as for fred make the most of watching him because he will be off soon and you couldn't blame him with the s**** players around him!

Neil Harris will walk way before he ever gets his marching orders I'm certain at that! He would do his best for the club!

• August 19, 2015 at 07:42

@millwalltel:
      Where will these buyers come from? Who are they? Are they in it for the best interests of millwall fc? What rich, successful business men do you know of that enjoy funding a business that runs at a consistent loss, gets terrible press, and can't even attract decent sponsors? Yes we are in London, but we are an unfashionable club who have not caught on to modern football(im glad by the way). We are not an attractive proposition. We had 7,000 turn up last night, yet the same people sitting at home will complain that we don't spend big money on players. IMO JB should of spent big whilst jackett was here, but since then he's been terribly advised and lead down a dirt road by the managers and board members he has appointed, but still has thrown money at the club. You can tell when he's interviewed he's desperate for us to do well. He's just been badly advised on how to spend his millions.

• August 19, 2015 at 09:56

@82wall: Your right their, JB should of spent big when Jackett was at the club. Out of all the players we brought in on loan (Townsend, Kane, Puncheon etc...), how did we not manage to extend there stay with us?? (even if it was for another season). The biggest turning point was the Chris Woods fiasco. How we managed to f*** that up, god knows!!
        Nothing we can do about that now, but you only have to look at the likes of Bristol City who are preparing a bid of between 7-8 million pounds for that Andre Gray (I appreciate they are in the Championship).
        The fact of the matter is, if you want quality, you need to pay a decent amount for it.
        Bringing back players (on a free) who have seen better days (i.e. TC, Morro etc...) is a waste of time and money which is something JB seems happy to waste!
        I'll finish by want I said last night, it's all well and good bringing our youngsters through, but unless you've got some quality and experience playing alongside them they will not progress.
        Sort it out Millwall.

• August 19, 2015 at 10:42

@82wall: if that's the case had you heard of john berylson before he bought millwall???? No thought not, so how do you know no one would buy into us again? Yes we're not an attractive club but with the right backing and people at the club you never know!

As for saying jb is not to blame as you must have some inside info, who is? He's never around! He hasn't the money to get the decent players in so if we stick with him and no funding for players in 2 seasons we will be playing in the conference! Happy days!!!!

• August 19, 2015 at 11:27

@millwalltel:
          JB was loaning money to Millwall fc long before he took over, so yes I had heard of him. He was only convinced to take over because he was friends with Heather Rabbats otherwise we would have been in the s***. He's kept us afloat on poor crowds in an expensive league for years, aswell as all the other stuff he pays for and has been very unlucky in the fact he's had the previous 2 managers spunk his money up the wall. "But he employed them" some will say. Yes he did, but we don't always make the right decisions in life do we. Lomas was a stupid gamble and holloway should have worked out a lot better. This is getting boring now. People need to wake up and do abit of reading on our history of our last few chairman (if they don't already know ofcourse). It takes a special kind of person to throw millions of pounds away every year.

• August 19, 2015 at 11:06

@82wall: You hit the nail on the head, JB has probably been badly advised but he is hardly here. How many games does he come to? Former chairmen like Thorne, Burnidge etc used to attend every game, have weekly meetings with the manager, go to the training ground now and then and chat to supporters. JB does not seem to know what's going on, he is relying on people like Ambler to keep him up to date. It's no way to run a club.

• August 19, 2015 at 08:34

82WALL I do agree with you about JB and that's not what I am trying to get at, but I can assure you the where I sit in the Dockers and where I drink they are nearly all saying they are worried for the clubs future with what has been happening now for getting on for 4 years.

There must come a time a time when any business man thinks I have invested enough into this project and the return is not worth any further investment, so I sell it as a going concern?? or I break it up and sell it separately (asset strip) not sure about that we haven't got too many of those, so to conclude I am on the same page as you but maybe on a different paragraph.

• August 19, 2015 at 08:49

@Barnlion:
      This is where we do agree, I said in an earlier post, he should of just gone for broke one time rather than spreading it out over the years in drips and drabs on crap! Because your spot on, now there is the threat that he will think that losing 8million per year(near enough) is not fun anymore! I honestly can't see anyone as good as him taking over. I suppose we will all find out one day though ay! And if you sit dockers upper block 15 and drink in the marquis(im guessing obviously) we've probably crossed paths on many occasions!

• August 19, 2015 at 08:50

So we have the worst goal difference and let in most goals already.
    I said it was vital how we started the season (especially at Home ) or we would lose support quickly.
    I have a ST but could not face going last night after the disaster Saturday.
    Cannot believe how bad we look in a lower League after watching so much dross over the last 3 seasons or so.
    Just do not know where we go from here other than another relegation fight.
    After over 45 years of following the Lions cannot ever remember it being so bad even early 80`s when we played a lot of youngsters and were playing in front of 3-4,000 most games ???

• August 19, 2015 at 09:31

this is gonna hurt to say but does anyone think we should do a palace and run the club ourselves? I mean that way we can sort out the players that are needed rather than penny pinching?

• August 19, 2015 at 11:34

@rob hearn: Although the owners of Palace are fans, the club isn't run by the fans collectively in the sense that Exeter or Portsmouth are. The four blokes that own Palace are just rich supporters, with a combined net worth of > £500 million, if the Sunday Times Rich List is to be believed. As with Brentford and Brighton, supporters who've made it big and are living their childhood dreams.

We tried that once with Peter Mead and it landed us in worse trouble than we are in now. Are there any more Millwall-supporting multi-millionaires where he came from?

• August 19, 2015 at 09:35

Forde has been, and is continuing to be, a liabilty and is costing us goals and points. Cummings performance was bad last night but his positional play was particularly shocking at times, regularly affording players far too much time and space. Williams looked dis-interested last night just like he did towards the end of Holloways tenure, he has lost all of the composure he had whejn he first joined and opts to lump it forward instead of keeping the ball now.

For me, following Saturdays performance, last night was NH's chance to back up all the talk of bringing through the young lads we have. Drop a few of the seniors, give Thompson a start and stick a couple more on the bench ... a few players (Powell, PCH, Archer) must be wondering what has to happen before they get a look in.

• August 19, 2015 at 09:43

Clearly defending is the main issue at present. Forde, stay at home and see out your contract from your sofa. No other club is going to want to take him off our hands. Even Sunday pub teams would be hard pressed to want him in his current form. Archer needs to play in goal and start what looks to be a promising future from now. King on the bench. Full back positions, both sides need addressing. Need a decent left back in. Beevers was never a viable option as was seen on Saturday with Coventry's second goal. Joe Martin is injured but I still think we need someone better. Ferguson on loan. I would rather use him on the left wing as he is light years ahead of Lee Martin. Last night showed that. He is out injured anyway now. His corners where better than Lee Martins. He found Millwall players on most corners and he hit Fred for his second. Beevers and Webster should go. If we can get some money for them then buy a decent experienced centre half to mentor Sid and bolster Tony Craig who is looking rather ropey, especially as a leader. And finally Cummings. Edwards half fit is better than Cummings at his best. We need to buy another right back. Romeo still a little young. Edwards hasn't been offered a new contract yet and the season is underway. Moving on to Midfield. Times up for Williams. Ed Upson has promise but is failing to show it at the moment. We have Jimmy but we need someone who is proven to come in and boss our midfield. I'd seriously look at getting shot of Marquis as a part ex change for a clinical finisher. Akinfende maybe plus cash. Morrison is looking better but needs a clinical finisher with him upfront for his knock downs and flick ons. Gregory may still come good in time. But he is an off the ball striker. Does all the running. So does O'brien and so does Marquis. That means three of the front four aren't clinical finishers. We need a CF who can score goals for fun. Management team are trying but need a more experienced head to come in and mentor them. The board and more impotantly JB needs to start investing properly if we are to have any serious ambition or walk away and leave us to what is already looking like a sinking ship. Hopefully someone else would be willing to come in and spend... who knows. But one thing that is for certain is that its dark days down the Den at the moment and it needs addressing before it becomes a lost cause. How much more sh+× can you serve up to us loyal fans. We're all hurting and have been for a few years now. It's about time the club and the staff show the same level of commitment and loyalty as the fans. Rant over.

• August 19, 2015 at 09:48

* I meant John Akinde. Not Akinfende. Been a long night with marginal sleep after the Barnsley nightmares. God Bless all Millwall and the transfer market. Hopefully we'll come good, sooner rather than later.

• August 19, 2015 at 10:10

I didn't go last night coz of Saturday game and coz forde was in goal it sound like we still can't defend so get rid of TC he not a leader Cummings is scared 2 close down he always run back towards our goal totally s*** when we
    Train and go Portugal what do we really do coz atm it is s*** so I will say no more until this changes we need 2 get desent players who will play 4 the shirt all they care about is the money not the football club f****** s***

• August 19, 2015 at 10:31

These are really worrying times. I'm usually one of the more optimistic fans who will give players, the manager and team as a whole the benefit of the doubt for longer than most. I actually wasn't that bothered by the Barnet or even Coventry defeats and put them down to a fluke cup shock and one-off defeat to a good side - after all, promotion favourites Sheffield United shipped 4 in their first game.
    Unlike Holloway, Harris is a straight-up honest bloke, which can sometimes count against you in football management.
    After denying players have a problem playing in front of the home fans leading up to the Coventry game, he was forced to accept that was maybe a possibility after that 4-0 drubbing and said that would be reflected in his team for the Barnsley game - which then tells the fans exactly who those players are and makes it extremely hard for them to come back any time soon.
    After last night he said he sent the players away asking them if they really wanted to play for the team. After just 4 games of a season that is an extremely brave admission and an amazing situation to be in as a manager.
    This isn't a criticism of NH at all. I'm just looking at the things he is saying already to try and work out what is going wrong at our club behind the scenes. Players and managers will obviously always tell the press that "everything is fine, the manager hasn't lost the dressing room, team spirit is good" etc etc - we had that even at the lowest points of IH's reign when it clearly wasn't true, so we have to read between the lines here.
    It feels like, with the exception of the FA Cup run, everything has gone steadily downhill since January 2013 when Wood chose Leicester, the goals dried up, our home form deteriorated and our league position steadily fell week after week after week. If a manager of the calibre of KJ wasn't able to arrest that slide then there was no way Lomas or a clearly shot Holloway were going to.
    I honestly thought we'd started a slow recovery during the last couple of month of last season which we could carry into this, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If Neil Harris is going to have a chance of saving us from further demise someone needs to identify what this problem is deep within the club because right now I feel like we're on the Titanic after hitting the ice berg and trying to prevent the ship going down by changing the captain and rearranging the deck chairs.
    Help! Save Our Season!

• August 19, 2015 at 11:18

@mervpayne: Deep down I believe KJ knew where the problems lay with his team and with extra funds he could of sorted it out. The board no doubt offered a small sum increase in playing budget which Kenny knew would never be nowhere near enough to really push the team onto the next level. So he left forseeing that the club need to appoint someone that could perform miracles on free agents and loan signings. The Club have paid for those penny pinching decisions ever since and its ended up costing a lot more. I honestly starting to think JB is realising that after writing off an 8million plus loan debt he simply cannot afford to bankroll to club to success. We have moved backwards ever since and undone all of Kennys work when he joined. This freefall will continue without an experienced head with a proven track record in turning clubs of our sized around. Not a rookie, not a clown and not unproven manager at any level in the English league. We need another Kenny, another tactician or we keep playing this godawful hoof ball rubbish with lightweight players with no bottle and no idea how to defend.

• August 19, 2015 at 10:44

I went to the game last night and being totally honest we are in massive trouble. The tactics employed were atrocious all the players were instructed to do was play long aimless balls towards Morison and Gregory who were powerless to conceding possession. Then we move on to the midfield, after about 30 seconds Fred picked the ball up and ran at pace at the full back and the bloke bottled it Fred had him on toast so I along with every one else in the stadium was thinking right get the ball out wide all night for him to run at the full back, but nope he didn't even receive the ball again in space for the rest of the half so much so that he had to move wings to try his luck on the other side and found himself drifting inside to get a touch of the ball but all that done was leave spaces for them to attack on the wings and meant that Fred was closed down as soon as he received the ball. The reason was Harris's awful tactics as he played Upson on the other side who is not in any way a winger so played as a 3rd centre midfielder meaning that they doubled up on Fred making him powerless, also by Upson drifting in it left a huge space on the wing and the midfield was completely unbalanced and all over the place. Williams doesn't want to know imagine he will be gone soon, Abdou worked hard as always, Ben Thompson was unlucky as he come on and tried to get the ball down and pass it around but the tactics of long ball meant it just kept flying over his head. TC struggled to organise anything and isn't as much of a leader as we expected so very underwhelmed by him so far, Sid was solid with great commitment for the cause. Ferguson was left powerless as he was forced to stay back and mark their winger who he had in his pocket all game. Ferguson in my opinion is a really good player he is quick has good delivery and can beat a man so is wasted at left back. Cummings can't hack playing at home too fragile a player a few mistakes and his head is gone. Forde needs to be dropped no question his kicking is awful looks slow to get down and make saves slow off his line doesn't talk to his defence and shits himself from set pieces. Perhaps even more worrying now is that Harris has said that he still needs players to bring in well given the little success they have managed all summer I hate to think what players could be panic bought now by the club (although I don't think that there are that many of Harris's old team mates still playing). Furthermore, last night was calling out for Paris to start was Fred as with pace out wide we would have really caused them problems as we have some really talented wide men and forwards but Harris's decision not o bring Paris on was awful as that's exactly what we needed, having said that it's irrelevant having quality out wide if your just going to play aimless long balls we should have just signed someone like John Parkin. To fix it you need to drop Forde and bring in Archer, if Martin still unfit bring in a youngster with pace as that's what a full back needs, we should encourage the team to get the ball wide including full backs recieving the ball from the keeper not long ball and looking to overlap the winger. We had the pitch widened but we are playing narrow. Start Paris and Fred with Jimmy Abdou and Ben Thompson/Jack Powell in the centre if Harris does that and focuses on attacking the wings we will stand a good chance still at promotion.

• August 19, 2015 at 10:58

@MFC 96:

, this is a very accurate reflection of us - we can all see it - NH either does not or does but doesn't know how to change it

I think he looks under pressure - even against Barnet his body language was bad - I don think he is relaxed and in control - I agree that even as bad as things are we only lost to a late goal to one of the better teams in the league - so it wouldn't take much improvement to make us very competitive - that is what is so annoying - this hs to be a long term project - get the players passing and by xmas we might have a team

• August 19, 2015 at 10:49

8. Bender
    9. c3po
    10. Robby
    11. Cyberman

no subs required

• August 19, 2015 at 11:42

Sorry but all this we should be so grateful talk is starting to chap my a*** Jb bought the club as an investment he is not a multi millionaire by chance he takes calculated risks and hopefully makes a profit this is what happens in business no matter whether its a football club or a factory making shoes .
    We all know the risks are very high in football and so do most investors but the prospect of playing in the Prem and the now huge amounts of tv money around it is still an attractive one ,so you pump millions in to a club hoping one day to hit the jackpot but you only have yourself to blame if you choose the wrong people to invest your money for you and if them people consistently fu2k up and you do nothing about it you only have yourself to blame .
    Also im not having we are not an interesting investment for some foreign high roller we may not be fashionable but neither were Man City and look at them now we are a London club who can sell 50,000 tickets for Wembley but we are lacking a real sugar daddy with deep pockets who doesn't want to do everything on the cheap sorry if that sounds harsh but its the truth .

• August 19, 2015 at 12:08

@mfc2u:
      We are a London club who have 9 other London clubs above them. All of which average a bigger home attendance and have fans who cause far less trouble for their owners than we have over the years. We buy the least amount of replica tops and merchandise. Plus it's known that only a certain type of player can play here. We are very unique, And it may come as a shock to you, WE DONT MAKE ANY MONEY. We lose 8 million pound per year. Not many people want to be associated with us, and our supporters personal love of Millwall clouds their judgement on things like this. Last week vs barnet did you realise we had advertising on the east stand that was from the days rhino was in charge? Probably not, I did. I asked someone I know about it, and his answe was straight forward. "We can't find any sponsors". Luckily I think we managed to find 2 new ones that went up for last nights game. Little things like that show you how unattractive we are when company's don't even want their name on the side of our pitch never mind our shirt. We got 7,000 last night. When JB took over, there wasn't a que of people lined up, and it will be the same when he goes.

• August 19, 2015 at 14:43

Yes I know we don't make any money from what I understand very few non premiership clubs actually MAKE ANY REAL MONEY my point was if at the right time you invest in a club you can actually move closer to the premiership but we have always gone for the cheap option ,unfortunately the only time we didn't was when we went for Holloway .
        I also understand its hard for a club like us to attract sponsors but sorry im not having for one minute that if we were successful on the pitch that wouldn't happen for us ,we had a far worse reputation when we were in the old first division and sponsorship was never an issue .
        I think you may also be surprised just who may want to buy us in the future loaded business men are notorious risk takers that's why they sometimes go bankrupt a few times before becoming successful ,SUCCESS would bring us bigger gates better sponsors and more revenue im grateful for all that JB has done for us but look where we are Right Now .
        I still believe we are the Biggest small club in the world I have been lucky to have travelled the world in my job and everywhere ive been I have meet Millwall fans not Fulham not Charlton but Lions ( maybe that's why we get small attendances ) they are all abroad.
        I believe we are a sleeping giant who needs someone with real vision and deep pockets in charge only then will the fans come back think to yourself when was the last time our club surprised us and bought a quality player ?
        @82wall:

• August 19, 2015 at 12:36

timchimes love IT, though think R2D2 may be a tad short and to slow for the number 4 position!?! Think R2DT would be better employed as physio given it's welding abilities!!

• August 19, 2015 at 12:37

Maybe a Dalek at number 4 playing in the sweeper role

• August 19, 2015 at 13:04

Have you been misold a Millwall season ticket?

If you can answer yes to these questions you might be entitled to compensation.

1. Have you watched a load of sh*t for the last few seasons?
    2. Where you told we had the 3rd biggest budget?
    3. Where you told we would be competitive in this league?
    4. Where you told we would be signing quality players?

If so contact "I have been taken for a right royal pr*ck Ltd". No win no fee.

• August 19, 2015 at 18:29

@Lenjulians: Harris has been used as a pawn to sell season tickets next hel be the scapegoat end of
      The team the attitude the performances Sh.t
      Future Sh.t

• August 19, 2015 at 13:04

I think we'd all agree that JB is not in it for the money or glamour. He could have invested it almost anywhere else and seen a return rather than a yearly loss.
    Of the 11 who started last night, most of them are not performing.
    If we're going to concede 7 goals in 2 home games then I'd rather see 11 kids out there. At least they would care. Interesting to see Beevers and Webster no longer starting but Craig and Nelson do, one who is past his best and the other lacking in experience. But playing kids has to be the way forward. Upson, Williams, Forde etc. etc. are like those who left close season-Most of them have not found new clubs and those that have have gown sideways or down a division. Collectively, the majority of the senior pros currently under contract and those 18 that departed are/were simply not good enough.
    The only shining light is Fred and I'll guarantee he'll be gone by Xmas.

• August 19, 2015 at 13:15

One thing I did not understand was why Fergie replaced at LB when Formation should have been 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 add John Marquis to attacking force to block 3 sides left middle & Right. GK has to change Archer in goal as Forde is a shame yet again so embarrising his too old times hanged on

• August 19, 2015 at 13:16

One thing I did not understand was why Fergie replaced at LB when Formation should have been 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 add John Marquis to attacking force to block 3 sides left middle & Right. GK has to change Archer in goal as Forde is a shame yet again so embarrising his too old. Times like this to hang up the boots

• August 19, 2015 at 16:42

My relative on the coaching staff at Bromley told me that the Millwall tactics were long diagonal balls to Marquis, hoping for a knock on, with the wingers coming in to pick up scraps. Even they knew how to play against that. This seems to be the way we are going to play, so its hello LG2 next season, because it so basic it makes me want to weep. Are the coaching badges they have to take now so simple anyone could pass as long as they have the time and money to pay for them. I refuse to go and waste my money and time until things change, and I have been going since 1967. I await the 'support your club through thick and thin' comments and the dislikes.