Craig promises Millwall players will "fight" for the shirt

MILLWALL captain Tony Craig says the squad are aware of the standards supporters expect of them as they aim to bounce back from Saturday’s defeat to Coventry against Barnsley tonight.

And he promised the players will be “fighting for the shirt” when they take on the Tykes.

“Millwall fans won’t accept the performance (on Saturday) and they certainly won’t accept people giving up," he said. "It was just one of those days.

“The disappointment hits you first and foremost and you’ve got to look at the boys and make sure their heads don’t drop.

“But we win together and we lose together. Losing 4-0 at home is very disappointing, especially the manner of the first half.

“It was one of those days when what went wrong… well, everything went wrong.

“I’ve had results like that before but you’ve just got to take them on the chin and move on as quickly as possible. For us, it’s coming at a good time on Tuesday.

"We’re wounded at the moment.

“Unfortunately that’s the profession we’re in, you have good times and bad times. But we’ve got great characters in the squad, we’re all in it together and we know what the consequences are.

“We’ll be fighting for the shirt come Tuesday.

“The gaffer’s got major decisions to make and the boys who haven’t been involved are putting their names forward now and quite rightly so after a performance like that.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

27 thoughts on “Craig promises Millwall players will "fight" for the shirt

• August 18, 2015 at 12:30

Less talk, more action please. We've had players saying we're going to react to poor defeats for four years and nothing is ever done. Do your talking on the pitch not on News at Den.

I was disappointed by Craig this week. Think because of the calamity next to him at centre half that he has been let of the hook with some poor performances. His leadership was disappointing on Saturday and, like most of the players, his head seemed to drop once the first couple of goals in.

• August 18, 2015 at 12:51

@jacktk:

yes totally jack

stop, stop stop, all this playing for the shirt bolloxs

for one thing Harris said he was okay with the effort - so it is not lack of effort or desire - it is skill and intelligent play - please explain how you will improve that

• August 18, 2015 at 12:32

All I'll say TC is that we heard a lot of what we're saying from Dunne last season etc...
    The problem is teams know all they have to do is get an early goal against us and our heads drop.
    Been like it for ages.
    Saying that, I'll be there tonight cheering the lads on.
    COYL.

• August 18, 2015 at 14:09

• August 18, 2015 at 14:30

@taz1987:

so true and obvious that you don't feel like it needs to be said ....

.......but it does - Harris has to learn fast

• August 18, 2015 at 14:50

@taz1987: I agree with you , when we do get the ball forward it normally up in the air Steve Morrison is not the tallest of centre forwards neither is Lee Gregory so play the ball to their feet Morrison has the power to take a defender on and gregs has the skill on the ground , John Marquise is the only one who wins the high ball or has a go at the big centre backs and he gets slagged off for effort , all 3 dont get a good service . Martins crosses either dont clear the first defender or they go to the oppositt corner flag , Fred does provide Give Paris a chance he will provide When he played for Wickham He terrorised our back four with pace and crosses , we have another card in Ferguson he has Quality and can provide accorate crosses .

• August 18, 2015 at 14:10

@Syd the Lion: unlike Dunne in previous seasons I don't think we can blame TC for that article today, he couldn't stay quiet! Before I start I want everyone to know that I am not having a pop a NH because I love the bloke but ever since he took the reigns he has spoken about ' the Millwall Way'!! I think this is where our problems lie. I would like to hear what that way of playing is. Personally I believe it's more the mentality of pulling on the shirt and leaving nothing on the pitch, yet it seems we have adopted a Dave Basset style long ball game since he has been in charge. On so many occasions not just at the weekend we have the opportunity to pass the ball out via our full backs and work the ball up the field but instead we just see Forde hoof the ball optimistically towards the front line hoping they will retrieve it instantly nullifying our threat throughout the centre of the park... Williams normally skilful with the ball now gets bypassed and made to look dire, the same it would appear happens to Upson, Fred and Martin. We are not a Millwall team of old, this team truly has the ability to take teams on with the ball on the ground, with Fred and PCH on the wings AOB (when fit) upfront and now the appearance of Thompson/Powell in the centre of the park we really have the ability to break down these side rather than playing hit and hope football! I hope NH realises this before it's too late. This team can't play long ball football, let's change it before serious damage is done COYL

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.