Millwall's Neil Harris "angry" after Coventry City collapse

MILLWALL boss Neil Harris said he was “angry” after seeing his side capitulate against Coventry at The Den.

The away side were 3-0 up inside 24 minutes as striker Adam Armstrong and Ruben Lameiras capitalised on a Millwall defence that afforded their opponents too much space.

The home side improved marginally after the break but never really discomforted Lee Burge in the Coventry goal.

Ben Thompson added some composure to the Lions midfield after he had replaced Lee Martin at half-time but, his shot from outside the box that was easily saved and Steve Morison’s volley straight at Burge aside, Millwall never really looked like dragging themselves back into the game.

Jim O’Brien completed the rout ten minutes from time before Millwall’s misery was compounded when Lee Gregory couldn’t turn in Morison’s cross from a few inches out with three minutes left.

David Forde was caught out in the sixth minute when he was well off his line to allow Armstrong the chance to execute a brilliant lob from nearly 40 yards out, while the keeper was also beaten at his near post after Lameiras had turned back inside Mark Beevers.

Harris, though, understandably, did not single out any player for criticism and refused to be drawn on analysing the performance of Forde.

“I didn’t speak individually, I spoke collectively to the group,” the Millwall boss said. “We’ll address that from tomorrow. I’m far too angry to speak individually at the moment.

“I’ll have to speak with my goalkeeping coach Kevin Pressman regarding (Forde’s) starting position but I thought it was a bit of magic by the boy to finish it.

“Forde was taking his starting position off the centre-halves, trying to push up to nullify the threat that they have.

“But I think there is a bit of magic from Armstrong to have the ability and the vision to be able to score from there.

“Jordan (Archer) grew into the game last Tuesday, he made some great saves but it’s not only the goalkeeping position. We have food for thought all over the park.

Harris also felt his side only had themselves to blame as Coventry wrapped up the win before the break after Gregory had missed a penalty four minutes in.

He said: “I think the first goal changed the game, not the penalty. Missing the penalty didn’t help but I think the first goal was the changing point.

“We didn’t react in a good manner whatsoever.

“Even at 1-0 down you think, ‘Just keep doing what we’re doing and we’ll get back into the game no problem’, but the second goal was a real sucker-punch.

“All the goals were poor goals to give away but the second one was particularly poor. The second, third and fourth goals have all come from us giving the ball away.”

Harris confirmed his squad will report for training on Sunday as they prepare for Barnsley’s visit on Tuesday night.

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

56 thoughts on “Millwall's Neil Harris "angry" after Coventry City collapse

• August 15, 2015 at 18:43

Say if we win on Tuesday,Forde has a blinder and we score 4,then what.

• August 15, 2015 at 19:22

@LETEMCOME: I'd say you are on drugs mate. I was absolutely disgusted with what I saw today. Two home defeats says everything to me. I've tried to remain optimistic but after today we are seriously f*****. Neil is a legend but he doesn't have a clue tactically how to manage which is a shame. Morrison didn't take long to show his true form, useless p****, roll on div 2

• August 15, 2015 at 20:12

@Geoff the lion: It was a joke ffs and I gave up the drugs years ago. Maybe you should try some.

• August 15, 2015 at 22:10

@Geoff the lion: I don't think its fair blaming Harris for the state we're in. Its too early to tell what sort of manager he might make, but he obviously loves the club and its no wonder he'd jump at the chance to be manager. The one person I blame for the last few years is Berylson and him alone. He's the one who appointed the managers and he's responsible for Ambler.

Under him we've become a cheapskate club with little or no ambition - the embarrassing loss of the screen just sums up our club nowadays. The last few years him & Ambler have pushed the myth that Millwall were punching above our weight in the Championship - this season's cobblers is the 'back to youth' policy to hide a skeleton squad. There's a long way to go and hopefully thing will improve, but I don't see a proper change in fortunes until we have a positive new Chairman come in.

• August 16, 2015 at 10:10

@LETEMCOME: keep dreaming if fordes still playing it will be 6-0 no chance while that prat is still here.

• August 16, 2015 at 16:00

@LETEMCOME: IF that happens I will eat my b*****.

• August 15, 2015 at 18:44

This lot could train every day for the next 10 years and not be good enough to pull on the roaring Lion shirt under 10's show more bottle grit determination and technique enough said it's going to be another long season after a good crowd turned out today after 10 games we will be back to 4-5 thousand

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.