Ferguson: Millwall boss Harris convinced me on Den move

SHANE Ferguson revealed there was interest in him from other clubs before he left Newcastle – but a chat with Neil Harris convinced him to relocate to south London.

Ferguson made his debut off the bench at Shrewsbury before starting in the defeat to Barnet on Tuesday night.

The Northern Ireland international played a full part in Newcastle’s pre-season and was part of their tour to North America, but was then surprised at how quickly his move to the Lions was wrapped up after he travelled down to London just two days before the start of the league season.

He explained: “There were a couple of clubs interested but I spoke to the manager here and I liked the enthusiasm he’s got for his club and the ambition as well. It just made me want to come here and just enjoy my football.

“The first meeting he said, ‘I just want you to distribute it direct and get as many crosses into the box as possible.’

“I think it was (the pre-season friendly against) York that he was saying he was really impressed with the crosses I was putting in.”

“It was good to come on and make my debut, it came as a shock that it happened so quickly as well.

“I thought I was just coming down really, just to have a look at everything and then I got told I was going to be in the squad.

“I want to help get Millwall as far up the table as I can and just make sure they’re in a good position and then we’ll see from there what happens (at the end of his loan deal).

“The reason I came here is to play as many games as I can.”

Ferguson, 24, also received a phone call from his international boss Michael O’Neill when rumours emerged that Harris was interested in bringing him to The Den.

And O’Neill backed the move as he wants his squad – currently in second place in Group F in the Euro 2016 qualifiers and in line to qualify for their first major tournament in 30 years – to get as much first-team football as possible this season.

“He phoned me up because he was hearing stuff and he was saying it’s a good move,” Ferguson said. “Obviously he just wants me playing football. That’s good for him, it’s good for me and it’s probably good for Newcastle as well.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

25 thoughts on “Ferguson: Millwall boss Harris convinced me on Den move

• August 13, 2015 at 15:21

Hopefully after your loan deal is up we will sign u permanent and hopefully u play on the wings COYL

• August 13, 2015 at 15:29

I would imagine Neil`s enthusiasm and passion for the Club must come over when he is speaking to any player.
    COYL.

• August 13, 2015 at 15:36

Great to hear a player talking about what will soon be know as the "Bomber effect " also I always liked Martin mad as a hatter but funny with it lets hope he can talk you into staying past your loan period .

• August 13, 2015 at 16:03

Just saw the highlights of the Barnet game on YouTube and yes Byron Webster was slow,dire and lacks pace !!,had a stinker lol

• August 13, 2015 at 17:53

@The Roar: Yeah and the good news is that we've now got a manager who isn't afraid of making changes. I don't expect to see Webster starting again.

• August 13, 2015 at 19:56

@NICKOLA:
        Then you will be unpleasantly surprised. Weve played 1 league game, in which webster played really well. people keep crying for us to keep the same team, yet want players f***** off after 1 bad game? Have you forgot last season? It's why we struggled so much. Time will tell, but chopping and changing the team does nothing positive, and it does nothing good for a players morale.

• August 13, 2015 at 20:27

@82wall: well said!!! Give people a chance! According to most people teddy, cas and bomber would have been dropped!! They all took time to settle, so give the encouragement rather than bile!! Coyl!!!

• August 13, 2015 at 17:52

It is easy to criticise Webster for lack of pace but neither Mertesacker nor Terry are endowed with great pace either: a big difference is their teams do not leave them exposed to pace. Well not often anyway!
    Where were the full backs for either of the Barnet goals?
    And where were the covering players?

• August 13, 2015 at 18:14

@Jzero: Totally agree, but thats what you get for playing 4 CH's as your back 4.

• August 13, 2015 at 21:45

@Jzero:

yes exactly - terry always has had cover from great holding players - IT IS A TEAM GAME

• August 13, 2015 at 18:10

bradford have bid 200k for beevers , so swap for hanson would be a good deal !

• August 13, 2015 at 18:17

@TONY BLOCK28: I still think we need a Hanson type CF, and a 'bailey' type centre midfielder, but its still early days!

• August 13, 2015 at 18:17

@TONY BLOCK28: F. uck hanson,he did not want to come two months ago plus its other areas we need to strengthen.

• August 13, 2015 at 19:39

If if was Between and Hanson or Crouch.. Crouch better. Besides we all need Gueye or perhaps Becchio

• August 13, 2015 at 19:55

I think we should stop worrying about the forwards and attacking midfield, it would be far more productive to organise and spend to be difficult to beat.
    Against Barnet the defence looked like a park team all running about doing little. Two proper full backs (plus the two coming back from injury) would be the place to start - and never play Nelson there again.
    Can we get George Graham back?

• August 13, 2015 at 20:06

I Reckon Archer, Romeo, Nelson J Martin(Although luck off Injury) and Beevers for first four.. as for George Graham would fit the bill but let it be up to NH or what do others think. Time will tell.. the sooner the better.

• August 13, 2015 at 20:38

I like george graham but he may be a little old now, although he might be able to sit in front of the two central defenders and let jimmy do the running for him

• August 13, 2015 at 21:46

I have had enough of these non-stories - this the latest - just go out and play well Ferguson - no one gives a f*** about anything else

• August 14, 2015 at 08:59

@timchimes: I found it interesting, it's good to read why a player chose to come to Millwall as a lot don't. As said previously maybe it's the ''Bomber effect''

Haven't posted for a while but been reading. It reads like a witch hunt on certain players. We need to leave off and give them a chance. We've only played two matches, I hope the players being slated on here don't read some of the negativity that's posted. Lets get behind them and give them a chance.

• August 14, 2015 at 09:13

I wouldn't mind that john Akinde he terrorized our defence. held the ball up well and battled for 120 mins could get him on the cheap. COYL

• August 14, 2015 at 10:17

John Akinde would be nice into the team we could get on buy basis or Long Loan perhaps but the thing is that enough or isit to improve much more Stronger in Deffence. We need possitive nd that winning Mentality