Millwall boss Harris: Home pressure shouldn't be a factor

NEIL Harris has dismissed any idea that his players feel added pressure playing at The Den.

Millwall exited the Capital One Cup at home at the hands of Barnet on Tuesday night but Harris refused to make any excuses.

With David Forde, Shaun Cummings and Lee Gregory set to come back into the side for the visit of Coventry on Saturday, he also added he expects a much better performance this weekend as the Lions bid to make it two wins from two in the league.

He said: “There shouldn’t be any pressure in the group playing at home. If I think there is then players won’t play.

“I’ll be patient with them. I thought some of it (Tuesday) night was really good but some of it was poor.

“I need to look back on the game again but we’re under no illusions that we need to be better at home than we have been, and we will be.

“Whatever team I pick, I can accept poor performances but not continued poor performances.

“I can’t wait for Saturday now. We had 18 shots in the penalty area and that should be enough to win any game.

“We didn’t so we move on to Saturday. It’ll be tough against Coventry because they’re a good side, but we will learn from our mistakes and look forward to putting things right at the weekend.

“When you have a defeat the first thing you want to do is put it right and we have the perfect opportunity to do that.”

Harris was also pleased with Jordan Archer’s debut but rued all those missed chances.

“He made some good saves. It was his debut for the club and that was one of a lot of positives for me.

“But, as I said, if you don’t take more of the chances you’ve created you have to make sure you keep them out at the other end. It is a collective team effort.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

41 thoughts on “Millwall boss Harris: Home pressure shouldn't be a factor

• August 13, 2015 at 08:36

back to 4-4-2 then neil, finished the game with 4 cb's who've got no pace ! webster had a mare ! oh and our strikers need a kick up the a***. but onwards beat cov and it will all be forgotten

• August 13, 2015 at 08:51

@TONY BLOCK28:
      We have played 1 league game, both strikers scored and run their nuts off. The service from the midfield was poor last night, upson and williams are not good as a pair, 1 of them alongside Jimmy doing the running is what we need. Morison scored and should of had a couple more, but it happens. Cut them some slack. Cummings was a weak link Saturday that's why I reckon sid played, as webster and craig both had good games vs shrewsbury. I'm not convinced about webster, and think he's not up to being a Millwall plauer. He's too soft, gets bullied too easily and was 2nd to everything last night. Plus he cost us both the goals in my opinion. But I think harris will start with the same team vs cov that started up at shrewsbury simply because last night was abit of an experiment, and you can't drop players after 1 poor game, people have short memories if you think back to when holloway was in charge, everyone moaned that he changed the team every week. We need to find a best 11 and we will only do that by keeping the same team for a few LEAGUE games in a row.

• August 13, 2015 at 09:02

@82wall: Agreed! Too many on this site kick off moaning and slating the players and I have seen a few slate Harris already? These people just want to moan and do not help support the club. We lost a cup game, o well. Look at the amount of upsets over the past 2 days in the cup. We need to perform at home this season starting Saturday!

• August 13, 2015 at 09:54

@82wall: not slagging the team more like the tactics, anyway neil needs to look at formations, he'll gain more out of that game than shrewsbury, learning curve methinks. but we will beat cov we always do!

• August 13, 2015 at 09:53

@TONY BLOCK28: The back 4 does need sorting out I agree with you , I do think Archer should start in goal lets look at Websters problems to me he lacks pace he seems top heavy and any quick footed player will leave him for dead on the ground you can not play him wide in the air he is a big difference , Is he the right player to be partnering TC a commander but another player who lacks pace ,we had SID Nelson playing out of position give SID credit give him half a sight of the ball he will dive in and take the other player with him , then we had Shane Ferguson he showed some nice touches going forward and looked composed but not our answer to a left back . the Question is if and we hope Carlos Edwards makes A full recovery and suceeds to a new contract would him and Tc have enough Infulance to stablize the back 4 with 2 gaps to fill with the best of what we have including our youngsters , Sid set a great benchmark last season

• August 13, 2015 at 08:46

“There shouldn’t be any pressure in the group playing at home. If I think there is then players won’t play." - Aimed at Webster perhaps? Missing some pace in our CB's

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.