Millwall boss Harris: Home pressure shouldn't be a factor

NEIL Harris has dismissed any idea that his players feel added pressure playing at The Den.

Millwall exited the Capital One Cup at home at the hands of Barnet on Tuesday night but Harris refused to make any excuses.

With David Forde, Shaun Cummings and Lee Gregory set to come back into the side for the visit of Coventry on Saturday, he also added he expects a much better performance this weekend as the Lions bid to make it two wins from two in the league.

He said: “There shouldn’t be any pressure in the group playing at home. If I think there is then players won’t play.

“I’ll be patient with them. I thought some of it (Tuesday) night was really good but some of it was poor.

“I need to look back on the game again but we’re under no illusions that we need to be better at home than we have been, and we will be.

“Whatever team I pick, I can accept poor performances but not continued poor performances.

“I can’t wait for Saturday now. We had 18 shots in the penalty area and that should be enough to win any game.

“We didn’t so we move on to Saturday. It’ll be tough against Coventry because they’re a good side, but we will learn from our mistakes and look forward to putting things right at the weekend.

“When you have a defeat the first thing you want to do is put it right and we have the perfect opportunity to do that.”

Harris was also pleased with Jordan Archer’s debut but rued all those missed chances.

“He made some good saves. It was his debut for the club and that was one of a lot of positives for me.

“But, as I said, if you don’t take more of the chances you’ve created you have to make sure you keep them out at the other end. It is a collective team effort.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

41 thoughts on “Millwall boss Harris: Home pressure shouldn't be a factor

• August 13, 2015 at 08:36

back to 4-4-2 then neil, finished the game with 4 cb's who've got no pace ! webster had a mare ! oh and our strikers need a kick up the a***. but onwards beat cov and it will all be forgotten

• August 13, 2015 at 08:51

@TONY BLOCK28:
      We have played 1 league game, both strikers scored and run their nuts off. The service from the midfield was poor last night, upson and williams are not good as a pair, 1 of them alongside Jimmy doing the running is what we need. Morison scored and should of had a couple more, but it happens. Cut them some slack. Cummings was a weak link Saturday that's why I reckon sid played, as webster and craig both had good games vs shrewsbury. I'm not convinced about webster, and think he's not up to being a Millwall plauer. He's too soft, gets bullied too easily and was 2nd to everything last night. Plus he cost us both the goals in my opinion. But I think harris will start with the same team vs cov that started up at shrewsbury simply because last night was abit of an experiment, and you can't drop players after 1 poor game, people have short memories if you think back to when holloway was in charge, everyone moaned that he changed the team every week. We need to find a best 11 and we will only do that by keeping the same team for a few LEAGUE games in a row.

• August 13, 2015 at 09:02

@82wall: Agreed! Too many on this site kick off moaning and slating the players and I have seen a few slate Harris already? These people just want to moan and do not help support the club. We lost a cup game, o well. Look at the amount of upsets over the past 2 days in the cup. We need to perform at home this season starting Saturday!

• August 13, 2015 at 09:54

@82wall: not slagging the team more like the tactics, anyway neil needs to look at formations, he'll gain more out of that game than shrewsbury, learning curve methinks. but we will beat cov we always do!

• August 13, 2015 at 09:53

@TONY BLOCK28: The back 4 does need sorting out I agree with you , I do think Archer should start in goal lets look at Websters problems to me he lacks pace he seems top heavy and any quick footed player will leave him for dead on the ground you can not play him wide in the air he is a big difference , Is he the right player to be partnering TC a commander but another player who lacks pace ,we had SID Nelson playing out of position give SID credit give him half a sight of the ball he will dive in and take the other player with him , then we had Shane Ferguson he showed some nice touches going forward and looked composed but not our answer to a left back . the Question is if and we hope Carlos Edwards makes A full recovery and suceeds to a new contract would him and Tc have enough Infulance to stablize the back 4 with 2 gaps to fill with the best of what we have including our youngsters , Sid set a great benchmark last season

• August 13, 2015 at 08:46

“There shouldn’t be any pressure in the group playing at home. If I think there is then players won’t play." - Aimed at Webster perhaps? Missing some pace in our CB's

• August 13, 2015 at 08:48

Give it A rest people ffs! I wouldn't want to play at home in front of all the doom and gloomers, no wonder we're better on the road. That's the problem at the den, too many negative people.

• August 13, 2015 at 10:02

@Lions88: I could not agree more Lions,one thing i have noticed is how some people s*** off certain player's but if they like a certain player they refuse to be critical of him even when it is plain to see that player need's to improve on a certain part of his game.
      Take Forde for instance,some people on here put his mistakes down to the ever changing back four.
      Webster got the blame for both goals against Barnet,the fact he was left badly exposed by his right back has not been mentioned,the second goal our defence was so out of shape it was unreal,why was webster having to cover both craige and the left back position at the same time,perhaps the tactics are wrong,if we are going to play a back four high up the field we have to have pace in that back four.
      Both Barnet goal's exploited our lack of pace in our back four and the fact is, it was easily pulled out of shape.so let's not get on the back of a player for lack of pace NH should see the problem and set up accordingly.
      If we play a high line without pace in our back four then the ball over the top is going to negate our mid-field and punish our back four.

• August 13, 2015 at 20:16

Sounds to me they are implying the team isn't match fit.

• August 13, 2015 at 08:56

The fans need to make the den what it one was. A place any team f****** dreaded setting foot in, we beat most teams before they come outout the tunnel!

• August 13, 2015 at 09:20

Start with two wingers in Fred and PCH, Martin works hard but the end product leaves a lot to be desired.

• August 13, 2015 at 09:39

Upson & abdou in the middle for me

• August 13, 2015 at 09:54

I agree regarding Lee Martin. Can see that he has talent and technique, I think he just makes the wrong decision. His crossing is usually overhit, and shooting quite poor.

Would like to see PCH play, mainly as we've barely seen him since he joined. would like to see what he can offer.

I think Williams should be dropped too. I was impressed with him when he first joined, and he does show glimpses but over the last year or so his performances dropped off. Also he is quite similar to Upson, so I don't think they're the best CM pairing.

Hope we don't underestimate Coventry, they will be a decent side this season. Very pacey forward Armstrong, so hopefully we have some pace at CB (not sure where from though...Nelson maybe?)

• August 13, 2015 at 09:55

It's the supporters that made the Den what it once was - we don't do that anymore! It seems the modern day Millwall fan would rather shout abuse at our own lads than intimidate the opposition - no wonder we're better on the road!

• August 13, 2015 at 10:09

@TheBermondseyBomber: Agree it was the fans that made the `proper` Den the place it was.
      You will never get that at this new plastic `Den ` imho.
      Hope we can bring in the `SAFE STANDING` which will happen sooner or later.

• August 13, 2015 at 10:08

Archer , Greggs and powel in , forde , Williams and marquis out .

• August 13, 2015 at 10:23

suspect team will be , forde, cummings. webs, tc, ferggie, fred , upson, williams, martin, moro, gregs. i,d rid webs 4 sid, powell 4 upson and plaster 4 martin !

• August 13, 2015 at 10:25

Instead of taking the p*** out of the opposition, we take the p*** out of our own team and boo them. The Den is becoming a laughing stock f****** ridiculous. We need to do our past generations proud !!

• August 13, 2015 at 10:40

f*** the cup let concentrate on the league COYL it more important

• August 13, 2015 at 10:44

any support can only do so much - look at the big crowds Sunderland and Newcastle get - doesn't mean they win anything (only the championship when they get relegated) - ultimately you have to get players who can play and over the last 4 years we have had too many who cant play with excuses made for them by managers - Marquis is an example - just not good enough - needs to be told that and moved on - it is nothing personal just a fact - all the time we accommodate second rate players, we will get second rate performances and what is there for the crowd to get excited about. This is Harris'' job - he might not be able to do it in one year but knowing who can play and who can't is a prerequisite for the role

• August 13, 2015 at 11:04

League is priority,no doubt Harris has made that clear ,their were some strange results on Tuesday in the cup,no doubt a lot of sides won't say it but this really is a minor cup/ JP trophy to me with promotion,injuries,resting players the order of the day that's why championship sides went out,I see an improved performance from us v Coventry .

• August 13, 2015 at 11:15

I can't for the life of me understand why fans slate their own players during a match, it's so counter productive, save it for N.A.D if you must have your rant, but some people just can't help themselves, take the serial dislikers, wish someone happy birthday you'd get at least 1 dislike.
    A lot of results didn't and don't end up with the higher positioned team winning we all know that, upsets, giant killing, minnows taking out the big fish etc etc.
    We need to get behind the players 100% during the match and express our frustration post match. having said that, in the case of a player that blatantly don't give a t*** and obviously isn't giving his all then I'd say he deserves all the stick he gets, that's not to say it will be of any benefit , a case in point was Morro it definitely appeared to me that he wasn't interested last time he was with us and I was expressing my dis-satisfaction from the west stand at the time. The manager should deal with those sort of issues and replace any player immediately (assuming he has another option) if that player isn't putting in a shift because that sort of thing can have an adverse affect on the rest of the team.
    A, for effort and commitment so far hopefully that will apply to all aspects of our play very soon.

• August 13, 2015 at 11:42

@john H:

a lot is to do with frustration at the bad decisions of managers - for example (again) Marquis - If you see a performance like the one he gave on Tuesday you think, why am I watching something so bad - I am not saying he isn't trying but you can't believe he can be in our or any L1 team. The same for me is true of Nelson - when I see him so bad at reading a game , so lacking pace or composure on the ball , I think, how can he be sent out onto the pitch with such inadequacies. So it becomes personal to him, but it is a weakness of management and coaching. For me it is like players' performances are set in stone at Millwall - how often do you see players improve on their weaknesses? Oh Abdou cant pass or shoot - that's just how it is - oh, Morison cant take pens - that how it is - oh, no one can hit the target with a free-kick, that's how it is - Forde cant save low shots , that's how it is - Williams takes too many touches, that's how it is PCH can only kick the ball with one foot, that's how it is - do you want to add more?

• August 13, 2015 at 11:43

I really don't get some of the things people write on here sometimes. Our 2 main strikers have both scored and one of them has 2 in 2 and should have 3 or 4 in 2 but nether the less is still scoring. Why moan? It's a joke. That brings me the the CB issues of Webster, Nelson, TC and Beevers. TC is captain and will put his body on the line for the club and is a far better CB than LB so he needs to stay there in the role he is in. Nelson is exactly the same style as TC. Loves to tackle loves to be all action but hasn't yet learnt that you cannot always commit yourself in a tackle or to go and attack the ball in the air. There is a time to do it and a time not to but that will come and I have no doubts in my mind that he will be the future captain of our club but you cannot have him and TC playing together until Sid does mature a little. Beevers is a decent footballing CB. If he had half the balls Sid has then he would be first choice I think but he doesn't so is playing LB because of his height. Webster is a big guy who IMO complements TC the best. He has height he reads the game wellish (better than Sid at the moment) and is average at tackling. NONE of of CBs have PACE and in order to find one that has all of the attributes that everybody craves will cost a bloody lot more than we can afford and will be playing in the premier league. The key thing NH has to find is the balance of aggression, composure and the ability to read the game. We will not be playing against pace most weeks so in order to get the most points over the course of the season will be to go with the physical approach. NH has no choice but to do so. Stop bloody moaning and coating the players on a Saturday because it doesn't do them any favours what so ever and David Forde is a prime example of what can happen to a player when the fans get on your back. You don't bec a bad player over night it's all about confidence so get behind the boys on Saturday and every bloody Saturday no matter what team is picked and you will see we as fans can turn draws into wins. COYL 3 points on Saturday and let's make our ground the intimidating place that it used to be

• August 13, 2015 at 17:14

@el tel:
      I agree about not getting at players during the game so in the spirit of harmony won't point out the obvious flaw in this bit:
      "David Forde is a prime example of what can happen to a player when the fans get on your back. You don't become a bad player over night"

• August 13, 2015 at 12:29

Pick your best team im sure you know that by now winning games breads a winning mentality. And then confidence: I hope Barnet was only a blip. And Harris won'ts just to concentrate on the league. I'd take a chance in promotion than a good cup run

• August 13, 2015 at 12:57

people on this site don't seem to appreciate Williams style of play. He is one of our best players imo and lets not forget he can play CB as well which we might need not before long.

• August 13, 2015 at 13:02

How about putting Williams at the back alongside Craig ? Played centre back for mk in league 1 couple seasons back and did pretty well from what I remember !!! Upson along side abdou with Fred and pch on the wings.
    My team
    Archer
    Edwards when fit. Williams , Craig , armstrong
    Fred, jimmy, upson, pch
    Moro, greggs

• August 13, 2015 at 13:04

* armstrong * sorry I ment ferguson!!! God knows where I pulled armstrong from

• August 13, 2015 at 13:05

* armstrong * sorry I ment ferguson!!! Duno knows where I pulled armstrong from

• August 13, 2015 at 14:39

What worries me is that the players are supposed to be super fit after pre-season and then suffer from fatigue and cramp in extra time on Tuesday!

• August 13, 2015 at 15:59

All well and good the Den becoming a place no visiting team wants to play in but now even our own players are scared to play there I like many others some times coat my team if they are not performing but I swear some people criticise every mistake any player makes ,this of all seasons we need to be patient especially with the youngsters .As for the Den being scary those days for now are over I think our home support is very quiet at times i am p***** off hearing 700 odd fans out sing 8000 sorry but its the truth

• August 13, 2015 at 21:54

@mfc2u:

might have something to do with the 40 odd games we have lost over 3 years at home

• August 13, 2015 at 19:58

I'd say Home and Away form should improve both ways, another thing is Archer,Romeo and Powell should be given first team chance. Sometimes its about time to rotate the squad for this Saturday against Coventary, give it time and will come

• August 13, 2015 at 20:47

If we had Edwards and Romeo into first team it change the next game into them Defenders it could be the answer or add two more players in than having out. Preffer loans than buying would be my opinion

• August 14, 2015 at 09:54

Don't know why so many of our fans rate Beevers, anytime a nippy player runs at him he falls flat on his back plus when he's under pressure in the box, he's really not that great in the air.
    Sid is actually faster,reads the game better & has better distribution.
    He is not a RB though, big mistake playing him there on tuesday, he will get beaten but is decent in the air. Needs to bulk up a bit though, bit skinny for a CB.
    Craig will get better with games, another CB but can fill in at LB, better than Beevers in that area.
    Think Bomber needs to bring one or two more youngsters in as regulars, if they don't get games, they won't get better, Powell for Williams, I like the look of Thompson too think he deserves a try, don't understand why Bomber didn't play some of them in the cup game.
    Tactically we were easily dealt with which is worrying.
    League 1 could be much tougher than I thought.