Millwall new boy Steve Morison sets high goals target

STEVE Morison is targeting 20 goals for Millwall this season – but says his number one priority is helping Neil Harris' side win promotion.

Morison was quickly off the mark against Shrewsbury on Saturday, tapping in after Fred Onyedinma’s run and cross.

The 31-year-old centre-forward was the last Millwall player to score more than 20 goals in one season, netting 23 when he helped fire the Lions to promotion to the Championship in 2009-10.

He got 17 the following season as Millwall finished ninth in the table and is setting similar high standards this season after Onyedinma teed him up for the equaliser at Greenhous Meadow.

Of his goal he said: “I saw Fred going down the left but when he pulled it back I thought, ‘This is never going to get to me.’ And then all of a sudden it was there and I was able to put it in.

“I was desperate to win that game, get back, and it was great to get that goal after Fred’s magic down the wing.”

“When I first came I didn’t set myself any targets because I was new to the level but now that I’m here I want to get to 20 goals,” he said.

“If I didn’t get to 20 goals and we got promoted it wouldn’t bother me too much, but from a personal point of view I’d like to get to 20.

The striker also revealed the process behind his move back to south London after Leeds manager Uwe Rosler had told him early last week that he wanted him to stay at Elland Road.

Little over 24 hours later, however, he had sealed his move to Millwall and began training with his new club just two days before the trip to Shrewsbury.

“It all happened quite quickly,” he explained. “I had played for Leeds the Saturday before and trained Monday. It was Monday afternoon I got a call to say things had been agreed between the two clubs and I came down Tuesday.

“I left Leeds at 9am and got here at about three in the afternoon. I got it all done, went back to the family on Wednesday and then back to work Thursday.

“It wasn’t something I was overly thinking about but obviously when Leeds said that they didn’t want me – or the owner didn’t want me to be there, the manager was a different kettle of fish – once that had all been agreed there was only one place I wanted to go.

“The offer was on the table and, once I was able to leave, this was an ideal situation.

“I spoke to Rosler on the Monday and he was keen for me to stay, he wasn’t really interested in me leaving.

“He put it in my court and I went away for a couple of hours and made the decision that I would accept the offer the owner had given me and I was going to leave.”

John Kelly

20 thoughts on “Millwall new boy Steve Morison sets high goals target

• August 10, 2015 at 16:33

can see you and gregory dominating this league morro, only 19 to go!

• August 10, 2015 at 16:39

U can do it Steve if u really want it we all believe in u I wonder what lee target is COYL glad we got u back NOLU WDC

• August 10, 2015 at 16:44

Good man Steve. Forget Leeds, place is a sh#thole anyway. Get us promotion and then you can go back with us and put a hat trick passed them.

• August 10, 2015 at 16:45

Great choice morow now run this fking league ragged mate and bag yourself a hatfull

• August 10, 2015 at 16:55

Steve Morrison 20/1 to be the leagues top scorer, might be worth a punt (although could see it going to Billy Sharp)

• August 10, 2015 at 17:37

Steve Morison 25-1 with betfair to be top scorer, had £10 on him, keep banging in the goals

• August 10, 2015 at 16:58

I think with the likes of Fred, PCH, Webster and Lee Martin etc providing ammo, Morrison and Greg's can have a field day especially as they start to learn when and where these players are likely to make the runs to and where crosses will end up. That will only come from playing together and if you think that none of them have played any time together the future looks really good. I would also think that other teams will have to start marking these guys out wide, especially at our place now we have the bigger pitch, so it will open up midfield and let the likes of Upson, Williams and Jimmy have a more attacking role. It was also noticeable that we seem more threatening on dead ball situations with shots on target that were actually a threat and we still have Furguson who looked pretty useful in that department.

• August 10, 2015 at 17:16

i tell you what guys, i was down the training ground in bromley today watching the lads train, chopper had ferguson at left back, he looked absolute class , he was running rings round everyone & burying the ball in the net most times he shot, we`ll do well to keep hold of him, so lets make the most of him while we can.

• August 10, 2015 at 18:16

@mfcjon: was that tony mowbray up that plain tree behind the goal?it was mellon last week you could tell him a mile off shaped like a peanut.

• August 10, 2015 at 18:36

@mfcjon: "Chopper" was a diminutive thug who fouled everything that moved; "Bomber" was an influential legend who helped this country win a war. BOMBER please !!

• August 10, 2015 at 18:30

Off subject. Is anyone having problems with booking tickets for Saturday ?
    I've contacted the ticket office but as expected I've had no reply.

• August 10, 2015 at 18:34

Ferguson should start the Barnet game and then be in the team for Coventry, it will be interesting to see him up against Adam Armstrong both on loan respectively from Newcastle, Super Neil & Livers have obviously brought Ferguson in for the awkward LB position, great move, thought the team spirit looked brilliant on Sat especially after they went one up, they really wanted to win the game

• August 10, 2015 at 18:50

shane is originally a winger play him over lee martin all day long he can play LB I perfer him on the wing COYL and watch out 4 Armstrong on Saturday look dangerous

• August 10, 2015 at 19:46

wigan are s****, they can make anyone look good in this league, armstrong will be up against a unit working well on sat, we always do coventry. top of the league by the next two games no probs!!

• August 10, 2015 at 22:18

For the game tomorrow I'd like to think he'll play Archer but doubt if he will.
    What I do think is that he'll start with Morison and Marquis as Gregory was f***** on Saturday and he'll save him for Coventry. Maybe a small shuffle in midfield with L.Martin being replaced with Ferguson.
    Either way, I expect us to win.

• August 10, 2015 at 23:56

I fancy morro to get 20, but I think Greg's will get more,

• August 12, 2015 at 19:27

I think Morison will bag 30 goals max this season top scorer and at the end extend another year with MILL