Millwall boss Harris excited by strike partnership potential

NEIL Harris says he saw signs of a burgeoning strike partnership in Saturday’s League One win at Shrewsbury.

The Lions found themselves behind ten minutes into the second half at Greenhous Meadow before goals from Steve Morison and Lee Gregory gave them the points.

The Millwall boss was also pleased with the outlet his strike pair provided and David Forde’s ability to pick them out with long kicks.

“I think it would be a bit unfair to pick out any one player without acknowledging the whole side,” Harris said.

“But I think think we saw real glimpses of a strike pairing, which gives me great options. When you can bring John Marquis off the bench 2-1 up with ten minutes to go, what a fortunate position that is for me as a manager.

“I thought Steve Morison was outstanding for 90 minutes. He was a real handful with his workrate, his energy and presence. That set the tempo for us and I can’t remember their centre-halves having a free header and they are two good, solid defenders.

“I thought from back to front we were outstanding. It’s a real outlet for us for Fordey to be able to aim for those two, it gives us a real chance to get up the pitch and support the play.

“He’s a top quality goalkeeper who’s got a real hunger to play. He talks in the dressing room leading the troops, him and Tony Craig.

“I’m fortunate I’ve got really good Millwall characters.

“David’s hungry, I saw that in ten games last season when he played for me and I saw it in pre-season as well.

“Everyone can’t play well every week. Goalkeepers and defenders are going to make a mistake and cost us a goal but I can live with that if everything else is right.

“On Saturday David looked assured and confident and kicked really well. His link-up to the front two was excellent. It’s a start for us but we’re not getting carried away.”

Harris also praised the contribution of his wingers after watching Fred Onyedinma produce some thrilling moments and an assist for Morison's goal as well as seeing Lee Martin go close to scoring when his fierce free-kick was tipped over the bar by Jayson Leutwiler.

Harris said: “But I thought the two wide men were outstanding.

“We know what Fred’s got and he keeps impressing everybody. His ability to run with the ball and keep it in tight areas and his strength and pace is outstanding.

“He took his time to get into the game but I’ve got no problem with that and no problem with an 18-year-old wide player running with the ball and giving it away, getting it back again and doing the same again.

“We saw him burst into life with a couple of channel runs and when he came inside on his left foot he forced the keeper into a great save. He also had an assist and his positional play was excellent for 90 minutes.”

Meanwhile Harris has yet to decide how many changes he will make for the League One first round tie against Barnet at The Den on Tuesday evening.

“We’ll see who’s fit and lively and we’ll make a decision based on what we know about Barnet and what we’re looking to achieve this week.

“Obviously we’ll have the opportunity to change a couple of players if we feel the need to but we won’t be making wholesale changes.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

29 thoughts on “Millwall boss Harris excited by strike partnership potential

• August 10, 2015 at 10:38

honestly we should be giving the lad Archer a crack against Barnet, with the same back four IMO, otherwise he'll be too raw when he gets his chance if anything happens to fordey

• August 10, 2015 at 10:46

@sjk1768: I totally agree with you, archer should start tuesday just so we can see what he's all about and stick with the rest who played Saturday.

• August 10, 2015 at 12:06

@mfclions: yeah could do mate back that will make 12 plus archer don't think will get away with it LOL.

• August 10, 2015 at 10:52

We got 1 of the best partnership strikers in the league we all no what Steve and lee are capable of doing great 2 see them get off the mark I say say change the hole team 4 2mra game don't want any of our starting 11 getting injured defo play archer I respect bomber always praising the team COYL another win lads good luck

• August 10, 2015 at 11:08

@I fear no foe: I would keep Steve & lee up front.... Goals for strikers will only boost there confidence & help them gel more, but certainly bring in Powell & Paris to mix it up at little as mfclions says

• August 10, 2015 at 11:27

@sjk1768:

Couldn't agree more mate.

• August 10, 2015 at 12:49

@I fear no foe: what is Gregory capable of doing exactly I know what I'd like him to do. Score goals from open play so far we know he works hard and can take a penalty.

• August 10, 2015 at 18:43

@I fear no foe: going back to when we got gregs a post was put on as to who should partner him?i posted get morison back gregs whould make a great understudy and learn from him.eat your words doubters!!!

• August 10, 2015 at 12:23

Lee Martin's crossing didn't look too good in the highlights package, is that a case of unfair video editing or was it as bad as it looked? I'd be interested to hear the view of someone who was there.

• August 10, 2015 at 13:36

@glyngo: his crossing weren't great he needs to look up before aimlessly putting the ball in the box. If he does then our strikers might score a few more goals.

• August 10, 2015 at 14:56

@block 28: Yeah it looked a bit like that, but not having been there myself I didn't want to shoot my mouth off with misguided opinions.

• August 10, 2015 at 13:35

We're not allowed to make too many changes I think we have to play 6 of the players who played Saturday it's a cup rule Harris mentioned in the fans forum.

• August 10, 2015 at 15:24

@spartacus: when dkd they bring thaf rule in..against southampton last year..we fielded almost the entire U21 team..is it a new rule?

• August 10, 2015 at 13:36

But also do want to see archer Paris and new boy Ferguson get a starting position.

• August 10, 2015 at 13:55

Neil is Bigging up Forde. He knows after last season fans are not keen on him. I can't blame Forde for their goal . But one swallow does not make a summer. He really was PANTS ! Last season and so he's is on borrowed time. All I would say is , in Neil Harris we trust.

• August 10, 2015 at 14:16

to you guys that made the trip, what do you think of there CB Connor Goldson?
    Apparently we are interested, 6'3" only 22 and already over 120 games, scored 7 goals last season, can play RB and CM.

opinions on him??

• August 10, 2015 at 14:29

Barnet have - Stack, Batt, Weston, and Lisbie - hope Batt gets some pitch time

• August 10, 2015 at 15:19

I bet Marquis is glad he signed a new deal. Looks like he's destined to spend the season on the bench.

• August 10, 2015 at 15:29

Imo the pair had a poor game.. saying that if your strikers can score even though they were'nt at there best..cant be bad

• August 10, 2015 at 16:42

Yep 4th choice but he did the biz for the gills last season at least he knew where the onion bag was for a change, when the game goes into the last quarter marquis can at least run the defence around so i do hope for his sake he gets game time

• August 10, 2015 at 17:20

One dawn don't make a summer - think everybody is getting carried away - NH need to dampen things down a bit - 20 goals here great partnership up front here there every bloody where - take things slowly - make hit a bump tomorrow lump on Barnet to get through after pens. Millwall lionesses lost 4-1 nobody mentions them on here WHY? What would you rather have 3points Sat or next round of league cup?
    I think Livers is the dark horse here he is steadying the ship - knows the game and when I watched him he never stopped running - LIKE THE SPENCER DAVIS GROUP KEEP ON RUNNING MAGIC RECORDS FROM A MAGICAL TIME........................................

• August 10, 2015 at 18:31

i think john marquis has a big role to play this season and i can see him linking up with our star fred well.

• August 12, 2015 at 21:33

Marquis needs to Learn and Adapt to the football league while for Fred will be key player to league 1