Millwall boss Harris excited by strike partnership potential

NEIL Harris says he saw signs of a burgeoning strike partnership in Saturday’s League One win at Shrewsbury.

The Lions found themselves behind ten minutes into the second half at Greenhous Meadow before goals from Steve Morison and Lee Gregory gave them the points.

The Millwall boss was also pleased with the outlet his strike pair provided and David Forde’s ability to pick them out with long kicks.

“I think it would be a bit unfair to pick out any one player without acknowledging the whole side,” Harris said.

“But I think think we saw real glimpses of a strike pairing, which gives me great options. When you can bring John Marquis off the bench 2-1 up with ten minutes to go, what a fortunate position that is for me as a manager.

“I thought Steve Morison was outstanding for 90 minutes. He was a real handful with his workrate, his energy and presence. That set the tempo for us and I can’t remember their centre-halves having a free header and they are two good, solid defenders.

“I thought from back to front we were outstanding. It’s a real outlet for us for Fordey to be able to aim for those two, it gives us a real chance to get up the pitch and support the play.

“He’s a top quality goalkeeper who’s got a real hunger to play. He talks in the dressing room leading the troops, him and Tony Craig.

“I’m fortunate I’ve got really good Millwall characters.

“David’s hungry, I saw that in ten games last season when he played for me and I saw it in pre-season as well.

“Everyone can’t play well every week. Goalkeepers and defenders are going to make a mistake and cost us a goal but I can live with that if everything else is right.

“On Saturday David looked assured and confident and kicked really well. His link-up to the front two was excellent. It’s a start for us but we’re not getting carried away.”

Harris also praised the contribution of his wingers after watching Fred Onyedinma produce some thrilling moments and an assist for Morison's goal as well as seeing Lee Martin go close to scoring when his fierce free-kick was tipped over the bar by Jayson Leutwiler.

Harris said: “But I thought the two wide men were outstanding.

“We know what Fred’s got and he keeps impressing everybody. His ability to run with the ball and keep it in tight areas and his strength and pace is outstanding.

“He took his time to get into the game but I’ve got no problem with that and no problem with an 18-year-old wide player running with the ball and giving it away, getting it back again and doing the same again.

“We saw him burst into life with a couple of channel runs and when he came inside on his left foot he forced the keeper into a great save. He also had an assist and his positional play was excellent for 90 minutes.”

Meanwhile Harris has yet to decide how many changes he will make for the League One first round tie against Barnet at The Den on Tuesday evening.

“We’ll see who’s fit and lively and we’ll make a decision based on what we know about Barnet and what we’re looking to achieve this week.

“Obviously we’ll have the opportunity to change a couple of players if we feel the need to but we won’t be making wholesale changes.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

29 thoughts on “Millwall boss Harris excited by strike partnership potential

• August 10, 2015 at 10:38

honestly we should be giving the lad Archer a crack against Barnet, with the same back four IMO, otherwise he'll be too raw when he gets his chance if anything happens to fordey

• August 10, 2015 at 10:46

@sjk1768: I totally agree with you, archer should start tuesday just so we can see what he's all about and stick with the rest who played Saturday.

• August 10, 2015 at 10:49

@foxy: maybe stick powell and paris in there too?

• August 10, 2015 at 12:06

@mfclions: yeah could do mate back that will make 12 plus archer don't think will get away with it LOL.

• August 10, 2015 at 10:52

We got 1 of the best partnership strikers in the league we all no what Steve and lee are capable of doing great 2 see them get off the mark I say say change the hole team 4 2mra game don't want any of our starting 11 getting injured defo play archer I respect bomber always praising the team COYL another win lads good luck

• August 10, 2015 at 11:08

@I fear no foe: I would keep Steve & lee up front.... Goals for strikers will only boost there confidence & help them gel more, but certainly bring in Powell & Paris to mix it up at little as mfclions says

• August 10, 2015 at 11:27

@sjk1768:

Couldn't agree more mate.

• August 10, 2015 at 18:33

@Millwallsteve1972: give the other lads a chance that what I mean let see what they can do COYL

• August 10, 2015 at 16:32

@sjk1768: Bang on!

• August 10, 2015 at 12:49

@I fear no foe: what is Gregory capable of doing exactly I know what I'd like him to do. Score goals from open play so far we know he works hard and can take a penalty.

• August 10, 2015 at 18:43

@I fear no foe: going back to when we got gregs a post was put on as to who should partner him?i posted get morison back gregs whould make a great understudy and learn from him.eat your words doubters!!!

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.