Millwall's Harris: Shrewsbury win sets benchmark for season

NEIL Harris didn’t want to single out any of his players for special praise following their Sky Bet League One win over Shrewsbury.

Having been unlucky not to go in ahead at the break, the Lions found themselves 1-0 down ten minutes into the second half.

But Millwall responded well and Fred Onyedinma teed up Steve Morison for the equaliser before Morison was fouled in the box with Lee Gregory expertly finding the top corner from the spot.

Shrewsbury boss Micky Mellon felt that the first goal helped Millwall more than his side and Harris agreed with him

He said: “I was absolutely delighted with the performance. Other than the spell after half-time leading up to the goal I thought we dominated and managed the game really well.

“As a unit we were disappointed not to come in leading at half-time. We didn’t start the second half particularly well and then went behind, but it was a really well-worked goal by them.

“It was obviously disappointing to concede but the reaction from the players and the performance afterwards was outstanding.

“That sets a benchmark for the season, not just the 15 minutes after it but the whole performance.”

Millwall had two excellent chances to go ahead in the first half, first when Lee Martin’s deflected free-kick was tipped over by Jayson Leutwiler before Abu Ogogo cleared Mark Beevers' header off the line.

Harris denied he was worried those missed opportunities would come back to haunt his side after Shrewsbury went ahead.

“It’s a bit early in the season to be getting worried!” he joked. “We were disappointed because we’d spoken how if we were going to concede it might be from a cross into the box or a set-piece because they’ve got real ability.

“I knew what a good side Micky Mellon had here and that was plain to see. But I thought my team was excellent today.

“It’s only the first one, the first win, but it sets a marker down as to the level of performance we want to be delivering week in, week out.”

Meanwhile Harris said he hasn’t decided on his starting line-up for Tuesday night’s League Cup tie against Barnet but said there would not be “wholesale changes”.

15 thoughts on “Millwall's Harris: Shrewsbury win sets benchmark for season

• August 8, 2015 at 21:17

@seanmfc: plenty more 3 points and hope to find our way in and around the top 6 by the end of the season

• August 8, 2015 at 21:50

@bluelion10: it's going to be a long season and 100% won't be a walkover but I'm optimistic about promotion

• August 8, 2015 at 22:01

Well done Bomber. Credit where credit's due!

• August 8, 2015 at 22:07

Just watched the new football league show on C5, team looked confident and great play by Fred to set up both goals.
    What a rotten show though, much preferred BBC's. Too much gab from hosts and why have an audience?

• August 8, 2015 at 22:31

@Peckhamlad: know what you mean about that c5 show. Good to have it on early, but very poor links. Thought I was back in the seventies when they showed the league tables. Was just waiting for Dickie Davies to appear next.
      Martin Allen's pie diet is obviously going well!

• August 8, 2015 at 22:52

@Peckhamlad: it aint as bad as when ITV got the rights and we had that programme called the premiership. I think in the 90 minute show they showed 13 minutes of football. It got slated. Do what I do, record it and fast forward it till millwall. COYL

• August 8, 2015 at 23:09

Webster and Craig are looking very good as the first choice pairing and having Nelson and Beevers as cover is very good news. Not sure we need another CB

• August 9, 2015 at 00:32

Know what you mean about the new FL show, it was dire. thank god for jkelly1882 he stopped me from committing suicide as yet again I was unable to Listen to the match commentary on lions live due to some bright spark changing a system that has worked perfectly for years and installing a state of the art system that DOESN'T F******g work, the text commentary updates once every 5 years. as stated thank god news at den do a text commentary.

• August 9, 2015 at 12:26

@wallchef: that D.L. must have come from a Shrew fan, even the most prolific of serial dislikers would struggle to find a reason to dislike your post. Or maybe it came from one of the younger Lions fans who is not familiar with the film and may of misconstrued your post. Happy days.

• August 9, 2015 at 13:38

@john H: I'd be pretty sure that the Shakespeare play came before the film....(-;?

• August 9, 2015 at 18:28

@lion.ie: oh without a doubt, W.S. although long before my time, I'd hazard a guess and say anything W.S. did was long before any film was made and to be honest I'm not even sure there is such a film it's possible I may have heard the title and presumed it was a film, on the other hand, I may have seen the film but if I did I can't remember what it was about.
          Life gets more confusing the older you get. ;)

• August 9, 2015 at 13:23

NH said that he will not make many changes for the Barnet game I have booked a ticket in the hope of seeing Jack Powell, Romeo etc. These players will be needed during the season and need some exposure. Old Jack