Millwall's Morison has sights set on immediate promotion

STEVE Morison says he wants to help the club “get back where it should be” after signing permanently for Millwall for the second time.

The 31-year-old joined the Lions yesterday on an initial one-year deal after two years at Leeds United.

Morison was part of the last Millwall side to win promotion from League One in 2009/10, scoring in the play-off semi-final second leg against Huddersfield Town.

He partnered his new boss Neil Harris up front in the 1-0 win over Swindon Town in the final before leaving for Norwich City a year later.

The former Stevenage centre-forward told the club’s official website: “I know what this place is all about. I know what Neil is all about, what the fans are all about.

“I’m not coming here under any illusions that this is going to be an easy ride. I’m playing for my future, the club needs to get back to where it should be and hopefully we’ve got everything in place to get us there.”

Morison completed a full pre-season with Leeds and scored against Eintracht Frankfurt in a friendly in Austria two weeks ago.

He was still training with the Yorkshire club up to two days ago but is now getting ready for the trip to Shrewsbury this Saturday with his new team-mates.

Morison scored 20 league goals during 2009/10 and Harris believes being back at the club is motivation to aim towards a similar target again.

He said: “This is where he has played his best football and this is where he finds the fire in his belly to perform. He is desperate to start scoring goals for Millwall again.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

42 thoughts on “Millwall's Morison has sights set on immediate promotion

• August 5, 2015 at 09:20

That's good enough for me Steve. COYL

• August 6, 2015 at 20:16

RIP To keith top bloke and also happy birthday to my Dad Paul hutcheson he would of been 43 today both millwall through and through COYL !!!!

• August 5, 2015 at 09:40

@Dazi: Fingers crossed it works out and he has a good season, fair do's to the club for bringing him in and if it don't work out no probs from me cos the club have at least tried to do some business. Its all about scoring goals for us this season which we aint done for some time. I'm sure if our forwards can start scoring the rest of the players can chip in also and get a bit of momentum going, well thats the theory anyway. Good luck Morro and all the best for saturday.

• August 5, 2015 at 09:24

Hope the fire is back good luck Steve. Off topic I hope there's a good turnout for Keith halls funeral tomorrow meetin at the den 8.45 then walking or driving to all saints in the old kent rd. RIP. One of our own.

• August 5, 2015 at 10:24

@block 28:
      He will be much missed at The Den, a proper old school South London gentleman. He made a lot of long haul journeys home from some northern dumps a whole lot easier over the years with his humour and great personality. Away games will be a little bit duller now without him and his shirts!
      All those going shrewsbury raise a drink to his memory on Saturday, we've lost a good 'un for sure. I'll always remember Wycombe away late 90s when a whole pub load of us commandeered a passing bus and in the middle of the chaos was Keith, holding court on the top deck whilst all sorts of mayhem carried on around him, he made good days great days. RIP.

• August 5, 2015 at 11:24

@Still_Wall: Really don't understand why anyone would tick the dislike box for the above 2 post's, I did not know the gentlemen but by what has been written he was & still is Millwall and the passing of anyone is a sad thing R.I.P. Keith and lets hope they win for him on Saturday.

• August 5, 2015 at 12:38

@Barnlion: I put a dislike on my one trying to get rid of a npower ad. Don't no about the other post probably a sad anarak.

• August 5, 2015 at 14:38

@block 28: i'll will see you there tomorrow and have a drink to his memory at the den after the service...keith RIP

• August 5, 2015 at 14:42

@block 28: u don't need to explain to me, I am sorry about your mate, hope all goes "well" tomorrow regards to his friends & family.

• August 5, 2015 at 14:45

@block 28: I did not know him being Millwall old school good enough for me,my thoughts will with you, and how the hell did you get any dislikes is beyond me,glad to see Steve back got good feeling about it COYL

• August 5, 2015 at 15:24

@block 28: See you there mate; a real character was Keith, mad as a box of frogs; truly one of our own. A top man like his dad before him.

• August 5, 2015 at 09:49

So archer was here last season, Harris knew him and talked him into coming back, he knew frampton and got him back, he knew Craig and got him back, he knew Morison and got him back.

I hope you've still got Timmy Cahills number

• August 5, 2015 at 10:02

@brooker:

I'm sure he does but whoah there tiger as you're getting ahead of yourself mate lol!!

• August 5, 2015 at 11:47

@brooker:

Exactly brooker but can see him returning in the future in a off field role, I'd love that.

• August 5, 2015 at 09:59

Roll on Saturday and bring on the shrews!

• August 5, 2015 at 10:08

Your one of us enough said geezer!

• August 5, 2015 at 10:23

Get 20 odd goals Steve and we have a chance of promotion.

• August 5, 2015 at 10:43

Moro and Greggs up top should cause every defence in this league problems! Really looking forward to the season now!! Good work from NH and dare I say it, AA!!

• August 5, 2015 at 10:49

At last the wait is over we now have a proper hairy biker and I'm sure the other strikers we have will benefit from his experience and learn the tricks of the trade and who knows we may soon have two proper hairy bikers or more.
    I wonder if any of them can cook ;)

• August 5, 2015 at 11:11

Cant wait now. Come on wall breeze through this league ffs

• August 5, 2015 at 11:31

if we went up first time would we stay up?

• August 5, 2015 at 11:46

@brooker: No reason why we couldn't. If we defend from the front (something Morro did very well under KJ in both L1 and Champ), play high tempo, defend in numbers to stifle the opposition and put away the half chances in the net then we will do more than hold our own back in the Champ. But lets see how the team does this season, what is Harris gameplan and will the younger players thrive in what is a bit of a scrappy division.

• August 5, 2015 at 11:33

Already SM has expressed what we all wish for, an immediate return to the championship. A bit better than Ambler's ramblings about not being in a hurry to get promoted. If Neil is able to strengthen his side at the back and sort out the goalkeeping then there is no reason why his side cannot get promoted first time. It is not a strong league. My only fear is injury, a bug for us. One or two more signings would be nice but am happy that my confidence is slowly returning.

• August 5, 2015 at 14:33

@Peckhamlad: good post, only think lacking is an attacking midfielder who can score goals, perhaps a left winger an all, cover required at LB, then apart from the fella that wears no 1 we have a good base to start the season.

• August 5, 2015 at 11:33

Fair play to SM for coming back after the sh*t he got last time he was here, some of it from me! I am sure he had other options, but lets hope he delivers and we have a half decent season

• August 5, 2015 at 15:04

@beedoscores: he got sh;t because he had a S*** attitude. He was played out of position but its his job to do as he was told.

• August 5, 2015 at 11:36

I have just seen a photo of moro posing under the sign which say's THIS IS THE LION"S DEN let's hope the team can make visiting team's intimidated by the warning sign as they run out onto the pitch,as over the past few year's the sign has not frightened any visiting side.
    We have to do our bit by getting behind the team no matter what we think of the player's NH decide's to play,and also making enough noise to gee the player's up.

• August 5, 2015 at 11:47

Amazing how one signing can change the whole mood around the club.
    Definately placing a wager on Morison to score saturday.
    75 hours and counting to kick off.
    Roll on.

• August 5, 2015 at 12:08

completely off subject, has anyone else managed to log in to the N@D prediction league yet?

• August 5, 2015 at 12:53

I'm hoping Morro has the same effect for us as Beckford did for Preston last year. Steve is a Championship player but droping to League 1 means he can bag some goals, get us promoted (or close) and the whole club can push on from there.

Players want to play for a winning team. If we can get even close to promotion players will see what it's like to play for Millwall and want to join I'm sure.

I'm really hoping we can get the buzz back down the Den. It's not been the same place for a number of years. Great thing about us is we don't need 15-20k fans to make the Den a fortress.

• August 5, 2015 at 12:57

If Steve could play at centre arf and gooly I would be more positive...

• August 5, 2015 at 13:08

i just new steve would be back ,i think he's a mill wall type of player and can withstand some of the criticism he gets from the terraces he will help the likes of marquis, o'brian and gregs will fed of him with quality runs , this is a good singing for the lions well done bomber .

• August 5, 2015 at 17:25

I want him to succeed and best case I can see is Steve helping lee Gregory and obtien get more goals because of his height and strength. But can't see him getting near 20 again.

• August 6, 2015 at 15:24

After the crap we have watched for the last few seasons lets hope were in a promotion place only time will tell . Welcome back Steve I hope you come good for us this time round last time you looked like a man that couldn't be arsed and thought he was to good for us. A few weeks back I wasn't interested in him coming back but to be honest as time went on with no strikers being linked to the club it seems like a bit of a relief to have anyone .