Edwards plays 45 minutes as Millwall XI draw with Dons

CARLOS Edwards played 45 minutes in a behind-closed-doors friendly this afternoon.

The right-back suffered a serious knee injury last September but came through unscathed as a Millwall XI drew 1-1 with AFC Wimbledon.

Edwards played the opening half as striker Alfie Pavey got the Lions’ goal.

After his return to playing for the first time in ten months, Edwards, 36, told the club’s official website: “It came to the point in pre-season where I had to get my first run out and give the knee a good test.

“It's really good to be back out playing with the guys and trying to get some minutes under my belt.

“We have had to go from step one to step two and progress from there. To get out of the treatment room is a relief because at the end of the day you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

“I went to see the surgeon and he was happy for me to start pre-season. I couldn't look back and here I am today.”

Earlier, manager Neil Harris refused to be drawn on whether the defender would be offered a new deal.

Shaun Cummings looks set to start at right-back against Shrewsbury in the Sky Bet League One opener next Saturday, while Antigua and Barbuda international Mahlon Romeo has also featured in pre-season.

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

21 thoughts on “Edwards plays 45 minutes as Millwall XI draw with Dons

• August 3, 2015 at 17:16

Great news, good pro and role model for our young squad. If he's anywhere near the same player he was last year then definitely worth giving him a deal.

• August 4, 2015 at 00:42

@MillwallChorister: Great to see him back, but I don't like the idea of Harris refusing to answer weather he will be offered a new deal??? I think the board won't give Harris the funds to pay Carlos Edwards wages or will offer him peanuts....

Someone close to the club told me Alan Dunne was told he won't be offered a new deal when Harris took him for dinner, but during this dinner Harris was suggesting if they was to offer him a deal it would be.... seemed like he didn't want to offer what we are willing to pay but was slipping figures into the conversation just to see his reaction. I'm told these figures were bus drivers wages.... And it came from a good source!!!

Great to see Carlos back and he deserves a contract!! Don't offer him shirt buttons he will be valuable in the dressing room and on the pitch!!!

Once he proves his fitness there is no excuse not to offer him a deal! if we don't it will confirm we have a massive wage cap gong on and the "we have third biggest budget" in the league is a load of waffle.

• August 3, 2015 at 17:20

Congratulations carlos welcome back now let get CAM, CB, ST , and get rid of veteran our shitty GK COYL we need a squad that can challenge 4 promotion or play offs we won't win anythink with kids just being honest COYL NOLU, WDC

• August 3, 2015 at 23:28

@I fear no foe:
      Some people talk like its champions manager and not real life. We are always scraping the barrel. And people taking the proverbial out of our own club for being in the jpt are pathetic. My fondest memory will always be getting to the final in 99 and it hurt more than the play off defeat to Scunthorpe in the playoffs. But as a boy that game hooked me on all that is millwall so I for one hope another generation get that experience and keep on coming back so maybe we can buy all those fantasy football players some short-planks seem to think we should be able to attack/afford

• August 3, 2015 at 17:22

definitely need him in the side if he's fit. Cummings can play left back, so that would solve that one as well

• August 3, 2015 at 17:58

Even tho he ain't fit he's the only one worth pulling on a millwall shirt! Only if the others could look up to him!

• August 3, 2015 at 18:10

Great to see him back if he proves he's fit it's a know brainer give the bloke a contract he's worked hard to get back. Now that would be a new signing 38 year's old and fit as Fk slot Staight Back in . P.S. Is this harris talking or that bald headed Fker Ambler !!!!

• August 3, 2015 at 18:27

Welcome back Carlos, sign him up bomber no brainer, would be our best signing this summer ( so far yeah )

• August 3, 2015 at 18:41

Have people seen Paul Robinson has had his Pompey contract terminated by mutual consent? Only signed it in January and featured all pre-season so i'm told, and team captain. Now i'm not saying it would be good or bad to have him back before that dislike button gets abused(!), but i cant help but think we might see him again. I just thought it was odd. Does anyone know what happened there?

Keeping it relevant to the article, great news to see Edwards back! If he is fit he will be one of the first few on that team sheet for me.

• August 3, 2015 at 19:17

Hold on hold on, am I reading this article right?

The words "striker" and "goal" in the same sentence??

• August 3, 2015 at 19:30

Good man - Good luck for the coming season Carlos, hope you can avoid injuries

• August 3, 2015 at 21:11

Cant believe how many dislikes i got for saying Edwards would start for me ;)

• August 3, 2015 at 23:39

Carlos being so good with the ball at his feet, he could be a very good holding or defensive midfield player if we are looking to defend a lead for 15-20 minutes.

• August 4, 2015 at 10:14

I would a select a forward line that understood the off side rule, a defence that did not indulge in petty fouls resulting in free kicks from which we invariable concede a goal. My team would contain Craig ,Powell Romeo, Upson, Williams, Fred, Paris, Gregory, Aiden,when fit.

• August 5, 2015 at 14:12

I sincerely hope CE can teach Cummings how to play football cos his performances have been woeful...