Millwall to know JPT first round opponents on Saturday

© David Varney
© David Varney

THE draw for the first round of the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy will take place on Soccer AM next Saturday, August 8.

Clubs are grouped together for rounds one and two based on four regions.

Millwall are among eight teams in the South (East) section with Colchester United, Dagenham and Redbridge, Northampton Town, Cambridge United, Leyton Orient, Luton Town and Peterborough.

Should they progress they will face one of the four sides (Crawley Town, Southend United, Gillingham and Stevenage) who received byes to round two.

Ultimately, the sides that emerge from the area sections (north and south) will face each other in the final at Wembley on April 13.

The Lions last reached the Football League Trophy decider in 1999 where they lost 1-0 to Wigan Athletic in front of more than 55,000 fans at Wembley.

The first round will commence the week of August 31.

28 thoughts on “Millwall to know JPT first round opponents on Saturday

• August 3, 2015 at 15:09

Those saying get out as soon as possible aren't looking at the bigger picture.

Not only will a Wembley appearance, regardless of how important the JPT is, generate a much needed "feel good" factor around the club, the prize money, although slim pickings compared to the other competitions we will enter this season, combined with half of a 65-80,000 gate at Wembley (and the competition final does attract such crowds now) and TV money for Area and National final will be around £500k -£600K.

That is the sort of money, if used wisely, that could buy us a decent player at this level.

• August 3, 2015 at 12:58

Should be a cup we could actually win

• August 3, 2015 at 13:03

Wigan 1999, was on my 21st Birthday April 18th, I had a great day out until 90+3

• August 3, 2015 at 13:14

You REALLY know you've been relegated when you're in the JPT.

Not a good Wembley day - looked handball all the way from where we were.

• August 3, 2015 at 13:17

Forget the champions league. The JPT is the one the big clubs really want to win

• August 3, 2015 at 13:47

So gils get two byes. Jpt out first round hopefully, need to concentrate on the league I think,...,,,,,,,,,striker anyone....,,,,,

• August 3, 2015 at 13:54

The sooner we are out of that the better, bad enough playing in the Capital One Cup.There is only one cup competition and that's The FA Cup, although many teams have already devalued that.

• August 3, 2015 at 14:06

Mickey Mouse cup, play U18s. If we are to get out of this league we need a defender or two more (only six on the books), a creative midfielder and a new striker, rant over NOLU

• August 3, 2015 at 14:21

I see Adam Le Fondre is on the move. I know he lacks height but could do a job.

• August 3, 2015 at 14:48

@potty1: Wants to stay in the Championship, wants to move back to the North West, where his family is. Even if did have the money, he wouldn't want to come.

• August 3, 2015 at 14:33

It's not going to happen, its going to be another long and trying season supporting the Wall?

• August 3, 2015 at 14:33

logged on to see if we have signed a forward yet, nothing doing but I least I found out that its only five days before the johnsons paint draw, happy days !

• August 3, 2015 at 14:56

Can't wait til Fifa 16 comes out so I can buy a striker and shut you lot up ;)

• August 3, 2015 at 15:01

I can hardly contain myself its so exciting, sign a striker Harris for god sake, and if one more person says Marquis works hard.................... Harris could get anyone in the crowd to play and they would work hard, doesn't mean they should get a game!

• August 3, 2015 at 15:31

It really hits home how much you have fallen as a Club when you are drawn at Home in the JPT and less than 1,000 turn up !!!!

• August 3, 2015 at 16:01

It's q good competition to blood some of the younger players. It's also an opportunity to show Neil what they can do, it may encourage Neil to play one or two in the first team ?

• August 3, 2015 at 16:01

It's q good competition to blood some of the younger players. It's also an opportunity to show him what they can do, it may encourage Neil to play one or two in the first team ?

• August 3, 2015 at 16:32

@raylondon66: let's play the kids, that's what we are doing anyway methinks. Anyway we should go for it.another day out at Wemberlee.

• August 3, 2015 at 17:05

I was at Wembley that day with my cousin & though we lost I will never ever forget the sight of Millwall fans filling over half of Wembley up , no supporters would ever match up to what we bought to Wembley that day, & if my memory serves me right a young Bomber Harris nearly scored as well.
    Some of you can scoff at this competition but it also does have its plus points , our youngsters some confidence , if we do well we could generate some more money , maybe able to afford a new striker for next year !! bring some fans back to the Den who have lost faith & who says if we get to Wembley who wouldn't go , because they think its a pi*s ball cup ..bring it on NOLU

• August 3, 2015 at 17:14

Just don't know what to think anymore feel so sorry for Harris I know he loves these kids but we are being fed a load of old dross three player's in all free listen to the talk two months ago dawn of a new Era the real millwall back don't think so not given a penny to spend on anyone look across the road train spotters are doing there business makes you wonder what the Fk is going on in that boardroom. What about our Rep don't hear a peep out of him he must know they have caused all this harp on about not getting enough through the gates .SPEND SOME MONEY FOR FK SAKE .Give the manager and team a chance season kicks off Saturday not in a months time .Rant over

• August 3, 2015 at 18:59

I see u at Wembley we should win it can't wait 4 Saturday game and who we got in the JPT cup strawberry got promoted it will be a tough game but we should we I say 2-0 wall need a couple of decent players first come JB we are still waiting and bomber open ur mouth tell him what u think COYL NOLU, WDC come MILLWALL we deserve better I hate when people say go 2 chelsea or man city ect f*** that i been a MILLWALL fan all my life 22 years I will never change I love MILLWALL even when im dead Im MILLWALL always and 4 eva like I said we deserve better we got the best fans it the world image us in the premiership we will b mental everyone will fear us that what MILLWALL is all about we fear no foe COYL NOLU, WDC