Millwall's Harris: I expect us to defend better next week

NEIL Harris felt his side should have prevented all three of CD Tondela’s goals as Millwall lost for the first time in pre-season.

The Lions came back to level twice against the Portuguese side before Luis Machado scored the winner in the 67th minute.

“I think first and foremost we’re disappointed with losing,” Harris said. “It’s pre-season, but of course results matter.

“I hate losing. I want us to have a winning mentality.

“I’m pleased with lots of aspects of the performance but disappointed with how the game went, the stoppages in play, the falling over and the silly fouls.

“That was disappointing because we never got into a rhythm in the second half. I was delighted with the two goals we scored but there were another couple of chances we should have taken.

“I think all three goals were avoidable. The first one was our own throw-in. We gave the ball away and then conceded a needless free-kick 30 yards from goal.

“The second one was a good finish but we could have defended that slightly better as well. We could have prevented the ball ending up in our box, 16 yards from our goal.

“The third one also was avoidable, albeit it was a fantastic delivery onto the boy’s head.

“But let’s not forget we were playing against an extremely talented, technical side that are playing in the Portuguese top division.

“Their use of the ball was really good at times, especially in tight areas.

“But I would certainly expect us to defend better next week.”

Harris said that he was pleased with the attacking intent his side showed, singling out Fred Onyedinma for special praise.

The 18-year-old started on the right wing and showed maturity and skill to lift the ball over Matt Jones for Millwall’s first equaliser on 14 minutes after Lee Martin had driven at the heart of the away defence.

“It was a fantastic finish from the young man,” Harris enthused. “I thought he was outstanding all game – with and without the ball, it’s important to say.

“I think he showed everybody what he’s all about and what they’re going to see plenty of this year. The build-up to his goal was excellent from a counterattack.

“I think the counterattack for the second goal was just as good, with Fred and John (Marquis) drawing the foul when it looked like John would have been through for a shot.

“But we put the ball in the box – and I’ve spoken about set plays being vital to us – so obviously the second goal was pleasing from that aspect.

“And I think some of the forward runs to get into good positions from our front four players was really excellent.

“John could have had a couple of goals on another day, but I thought some of our play going forward was really good.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

53 thoughts on “Millwall's Harris: I expect us to defend better next week

• August 1, 2015 at 18:01

I expect us to sign a striker next week, never mind defend better next week! Of course all goals conceded could have been avoided but you could say that about most goals conceded...

• August 1, 2015 at 18:22

it's alright blaming forde for everything despite him falling like a plank of wood for all goals but what were the defence doing?

Where's Nelson? Why are we playing so many of the useless farts that brought us down last year. Where is this 'youth' Harris and his predecessors bang on about.

Fred was only one today aside from Martin and marquis in short spells who looked dangerous and lively the rest might as well have been down Bromley having their 'cheeky nandos' !

• August 1, 2015 at 19:03

• August 1, 2015 at 19:03

Willams and upson looked like they where blowing for most of the match why not bring powell and cowan hall earlier it was only a friendly at the end of the day and shaun Cummings was our worst player.

• August 1, 2015 at 19:21

Went to the game today and thought Fred and Lee Martin showed the Millwall way solid in the challenge and battled well. The sooner Forde goes the better was nowhere for any of the three goals and looked like his head was elsewhere and the sooner archer is blooded in the better even his distribution is better then Forde's. Bryon Webster looked solid in the air dunno why Beevers played left back. In my opinion we need two strikers one with a bit of Pace and a target man to help Gregory who was unlucky at times today due to a flag happy Lino

• August 2, 2015 at 00:45

@DanmillwallB: Beevers was s*** at left back forde was s*** in goal Cummings was s*** at right back

• August 1, 2015 at 20:26

We lacked 2 full backs who can link up with there wingers, both flanks looked like they didn't know each other for most of the game, marquis's movement is as it's always been, s***, obrien would be better up there when fit, Gregs, Fred & Martin were good today, Beevers is not a left back, we need another left back & a target man, otherwise other teams will easily be able to plan against us

• August 1, 2015 at 22:26

This lot will take us down again this season and we will get spanked by a few clubs in this division!

Shrewsbury will put 3 or 4 past us in first game. Mark my words!

• August 1, 2015 at 22:34

Millwall site says Harris reckons pre season is a success! Is this some kind of f****** joke!!

I'm fed up with with this club taking us supporters as some kind of f****** mugs!

Williams ain't got it! Marquis, all I ever hear is he runs his socks off! Yeah so does mo farah but he ain't going to score 20 f****** goals!!! What stupid things some melts say! Berbers at lb when he's a cb! f****** laughable! Bordering on what coco was doing playing ppl out of position! Forde can't save for s***! These c**** at the club supposedly running it are running the club into the ground!!!!

• August 1, 2015 at 22:41

@millwalltel: well you pretty much saying what most people are thinking but don't like saying for the fear of dislikes, but let's face were all still going back and coughing up our hard earned and always will do.

• August 2, 2015 at 09:32

@mfcmike: yeah I know a lot of ppl want to wake up on here! We were s*** last season and haven't changed the team enough to have any chance this season! So where ppl think we're going to p*** the league this year from I don't know? Probably the same stupid idiots who when one of our players gives the ball away they get straight on their back effing and blinding calling them all the names under the sun in the hope it will do what??? Make them play better? If these morons who abuse our own players stopped maybe we would get a better standard player at the den!

• August 1, 2015 at 22:38

Away on a med cruise at moment so I can't judge but please advise was ford Easley beaten again? Sounds like it with the write up

• August 2, 2015 at 12:10

@mfcmike: his kicking had improved, none went out...but his movement was sluggish and so was his positioning and his reactions, I don't rate him anymore but have to take in consideration that he is behind in the pre season training as he had an extended season with RoI international duties...still think he should have played Archer for a half to blood him in.

• August 3, 2015 at 07:01

@mfcmike:
      So, Mike.
      People give you dislikes because you are on a Med cruise?
      Lol......

• August 1, 2015 at 22:55

Why don't you all give Harris a chance you all know we got no money so make do with what we got if you don't like it f*** off and support z glory hunting club like the rest of London and leave the wall to the supporters who love the club for what it is

• August 2, 2015 at 11:41

@davep263: you sound so intelligent! Obviously you are one of these ppl who millwall is everything to them and have no life other than this.

I support millwall but know we're s*** so when I think we're going to struggle this season n we get a result it's a bonus! But I don't let it take over like some of the ppl on here! Grown men with f****** millwall duvet covers still! Need to grow up!

• August 2, 2015 at 12:15

@dan: @millwalltel: I agree with some of your comments, but for some people life might be plop and Millwall might be their only escape. The passion is adorable bordering on psycho!! We are a small club, but I blame the idiots at the top, employing idiots in other parts that clearly do not have a clue!! Plop! Even I would have come up with a way of getting a scoreboard!

• August 1, 2015 at 23:13

Talk about prophets of doom on here! A signing or 2 next week and I'm sure people will change their tune. Even with the current squad as it is I'd say we have one of the better teams. Let's not forget we are a relegated championship side and have lost a lot of the dross. We still have a team with promise albeit very youthful but I'm more optimistic that we will have a good season rather than we won't.

• August 2, 2015 at 00:03

I like most of the solid Millwall fans who endured 3 seasons of dome and gloom seeing the messiah return in April trying to save our souls thinking praise be for the new season from what we saw today it was the devil we know . where was this Millwall side playing with high tempo being proud to wear the shirt with pride and making this place a fortres where nicking a point should be a hanging crime . NEIL I hope your manifesto was not that of a lieing polition . THE senit should take note and give more funds to the comandering chief rather than P R statements of talking loud and saying nothing

• August 2, 2015 at 01:27

We look bang in trouble to be fair, I really hope the players come good for us and I will certainly get behind them.

Anyone who has watched us the past three seasons week in week out will agree, Forde needs to be on the bench, we need a creative midfielder and a pacy striker.

It does seem like Bomber is being given PR to feed us. It seems the weight is on his shoulders and he has his hands tied which is not fair. He's a legend at Millwall and the board/owner is going to hide behind him as much as they can.

Let's hope we make a couple of cheeky signings "I can't see it though"

The players can do this, and the youngsters look promising, but we need just a little bit more in our squad!!

• August 2, 2015 at 06:52

I only saw the Bromley and AFCW games so can't comment on the other 2 but I fear that far too many if NH's post match interviews are going to be very similar to this. Much of it I could have scripted before the match was even played such is the sad inevitability of the lame performances of the majority of our squad and the odious predictability of our young inexperienced manager with no funds to bring in any players who can make a positive meaningful difference to the outcome of our season. It's not as if we have been playing anything like top teams pre-season - and please don't keep trotting out this b******* on this forum that pre-season friendliest don't matter because if they didn't you wouldn't have them. They are the ONLY benchmark and indication as to how well prepared and how good the team is going into the season and frankly it's the same old s***. Quite where a lot of you get your positive feelings about the coming season from is beyond me. I am not a doom monger but perhaps I just becoming a miserable b******. I wonder why.........still looking forward to Shrewsbury though :)

• August 2, 2015 at 10:17

Typical Portuguese/Spanish side.Good ball control with plenty of shirt pulling and play acting to break the game up. As far as I am concerned it was a good workout that highlighted we do not dominate our box and prone to goalkeeping howlers. If that doesn't teach Harris and co anything then nothing will! We must give Archer a start and with another forward I say we will be OK. Get behind the boys, especially the first home games. COYL

• August 2, 2015 at 10:19

Typical Portuguese/Spanish side.Good ball control with plenty of shirt pulling and play acting to break the game up. As far as I am concerned it was a good workout that highlighted we do not dominate our box and prone to goalkeeping howlers yet again.

• August 2, 2015 at 10:29

@DenDan: I think your absolutely spot on Dan but it was amazing that after the first goal went in, which in honesty Forde should have sorted out, it only took seven minutes for the boo boys to start. Can I please ask 'SUPPORTERS' to support and not look for any excuse to have a pop at players.

• August 2, 2015 at 11:20

@lennie the lion: lennie i have been going to Millwall since 1952 and it has alway's been that way,i can remember Harry Cripp's and big Kitch getting stick and they went on to be our two best loved player's.so that aint gonna stop it's in our DNA im afraid.
        Still chin up it all start's for real next week,so to all you traveling fan's have a good day and help bring the point's home.

• August 2, 2015 at 10:57

@ LENNY THE LION: IMPOSSIBLE mate.

• August 2, 2015 at 11:11

I was not at the game but their seem's to be a lot of doom and gloom post's.
    It seem's to me as far as injuries go we are having all our bad luck pre season,i just hope we can get through the first few game's ok and then if the injuries clear up and we can kick on.
    One area NH has to be ruthless about is the goalkeeper,i believe that last year Forde was the best reflex shot stopper in the league,but where he excelled in that part of his game,his dealing with long shot's and cross's and his dominance of his 6 yard area was poor,so NH has to sort that one out ,i would give Archer his chance.
    Although we lost 3-2 the positive's are we scored 2 good goal's so i am told,the question is how did the portugese div 1 league compare to our div1 side's we are going to meet this season and how did we handle the bigger pitch,alas we will not know untill we start the new season so as normal with Millwall we go into a new season with a degree of finger's crossed.

• August 2, 2015 at 12:02

@jim1222: fans keep saying we need a 15-20 goal striker..just sit back and watch AOB & greggs get that each next season...this needs players who wont stop chasing we got that with these 2.we know greggs can get goals..i wouldn't bet against AOB doing the same..you only have to look back to last term when they did play alongside each other they were a constant threat..it was a pity coco couldn't see that

• August 2, 2015 at 13:13

@Jim28: I agree gregg's and AOB can do it for us,the first time they played together was against BRUM,WE WERE 2-0 DOWN coco brought on AOB and between them stretched the Brum back four and teamed up to score and get us back in the game,from that point on it looked as not only could we get a draw but we could go on and win the game,before the defence messed up and gave the game to Brum.
        It is a shame AOB picked up his injury as i was looking forward to see how he and gregg's would start the season.
        Be Lucky jim hope to see you in the blue.

• August 2, 2015 at 12:29

@jim1222: I actually thought we were OK Jim. The first goal was in all honesty a joke ball floated in from a needless free kick, missed every body went in, in slow motion which also summed up Forde's reaction to it. Second goal again from there right bit unlucky we did not clear but they had a really trick and pacey guy called Wagner who really impressed but again Forde should have stopped it. Our first goal Martin won the ball just inside their half with a aggressive tackle, got the ball to Fred raced passed a player who tried to pull him back and a real cool finish. It was one of the occasions that last season we knew we were not going to score from, but as soon as he got the ball you sensed a finish. Marquis had a very similar opportunity in identical position but his second touch was not good enough. They were a very good technical side especially in tight spots fantastic first touch, a good Championship team in my opinion although they would not get away with all the pull backs and falling over pretense they came up with yesterday, obviously the ref was reluctant to give yellow cards so they constantly held up play but a couple early on would have lead to a more open game. We looked OK, cannot see a relegation battle, famous last words, just hope Neil leaves alone sticks with a settled team and I am confident we will get top six. Just checking, and yes I have a half full glass

• August 2, 2015 at 11:20

I've been to my Church this morning and prayed to the spirit of decent strikers, the spirit of goalkeepers and not forgetting the spirit of the cheque book. Don't worry all. Everything is going to be fine. #believeintheharris

• August 2, 2015 at 12:16

Millwall's Harris: "I expect us to defend better next week." SO DO WE!

• August 2, 2015 at 13:45

And so the obvious one liner b******* has started to flow. Last week was "I expect better set pieces" this week it's " I expect better defending". Funny how nobody says our strikers can't score for s***. 3 games and not one if them can find the next against s*** teams

• August 2, 2015 at 14:07

I don't know why everyone is so surprised about our defence. It's nearly all the same players who proved themselves inadequate last season. He hasn't come to his senses and dropped Forde and the rest of the players aren't going to miraculously improve just because Millwall's all-time goalscorer is now manager. We need an experienced central defender and left back and Forde needs to jog on so Archer can play.

• August 2, 2015 at 14:31

Well if Wall cannot beat a second rate Portuguese side then what chance have they got in Div1.
    Not long ago NH reportedly he wanted to make the Den a fortress - wrong 3 goals conceded. Shrewsbury must be licking their lips - personally I cannot see anything than a Shrewsbury win so all who are going to the match lump on Shrewsbury then if Wall draw or win yeah alright you have won both ways. Similarly lump on Barnet cos NH will be playing all the youngsters and Barnet are no mugs harden conference side who are physical and have the know how of how to survive in the lower leagues. Not looking good and seeing all the mega money being bounded about in the Prem and Championship we are now a million miles away from the top tiers. No scoreboard absolutely pathetic no advertising well it can't get much worse can it oh yes it can Forde gets an extension on his contract. If he has bought Dan Archer to sit on the bench again crap because an earlier thread NH was reported to say he would listen favourably for Forde to be transferred - yeah he aint going anywhere wonder why. I am Wall through and through and have some really great memories but this really does not look too good does it. Yep be optimistic yep but also be sensible I think Wall will do well to get mid table - blimey the thought of playing the likes of Oldham and Crewe at home is so depressing - yep the board got it wrong big time mega big not giving KJ money when he really wanted it - he did perform miracles you know - then appointing SL wow what a mistake of gigantic proportions and then the fluker IH wow all his pay off money and now he is on sky - he really is so sad all of this. I need cheering up - yep I'll watch Humans tonight and get my name down for a Synth to replace the missus when she has a headache which she has had for the last decade - yep I'll go for top of the range one that does not speak back. Its Saturday down cold blow lane we have had our jellied eels we have had our glass of come rain or shine .....................................hard to bear....we definitely are not the best in London by far.......still pie and chips in the Wall café will cheer me up

• August 2, 2015 at 18:27

@Jim28: @Jim28: actually although the geezer Mekong has a slightly obtuse way of scribing his points I am not sure what everyone disagrees with him about. Key point: yes - what IF the board had backed KJ for example when he bid for Charlie Austin when we got promoted plus with other signings KJ had in mind which, l put together, would have cost less than holloway spent on players and himself? We offered £800K for Austin and Swindon wanted just 200K more. As I say I think this guy is not as daft as he tried to make himself sound (Mekong not KJ)

• August 2, 2015 at 16:07

U all 4 got or somethink this team got promoted last season so they got so much confidence it sound like forde is still s*** thought he would of f*** off by now can't stand the t*** he 2 slow get rid asap hopefully we see a couple of sighings COYL NOLU WDC

• August 2, 2015 at 20:19

Basically barring an outstanding performance from Millwall a draw is the best we can expect.

• August 2, 2015 at 21:06

£20 Shrewsbury 3-1 they are no mugs.

• August 2, 2015 at 21:31

Complete change of subject. As anyone set up a newsatden sun dream team league?

• August 2, 2015 at 22:00

@wolla5: whats happening with the predicition league this year anyone

• August 2, 2015 at 21:46

I have never seen Archer play...but if he is not good enough to displace Forde in his current form we shouldn't be employing him and need to sign goalkeeper as urgently as we need a striker.If he is good enough then play him,the crowd will be more merciful with him than they will be with Forde.

• August 2, 2015 at 22:59

Noël Hunt apparently going to Southend. Bradford just signed their eighth new signing this summer (latest guy called Anderson from Ipswich I think) as well as holding onto the lump Hanson to keep him from joining us. We keep being fed this absolute "taken as given" b******* that we will only sign players who will fit in with what we've got but surely for every new signing by every manager of every club that is patently an obvious pre-requisite. The difference is it hasn't stopped every other club from finding players who "fit in" and in Bradford's case an additional 8 this summer - not f***** up over hill journeyman wage thieves on loan - proper signings. We got relegated because the players werent good enough. I'm observing other teams around us making decent signings to improve their team what we do nothing but make excuses. It's line being in the f****** twilight zone - disgruntled and disappointed fans like me stating the obvious and bring slagged off on these forums for daring to criticise any aspect of Millwalls recruitment policy as being disloyal. It's not disloyal we just care deeply. We deserve better than this. Third biggest budget in the league?? Has any other Div 1 team spent less than us this summer. 18 out and 3 freebies in? Doesn't quite add up does it. Still, just waiting for someone who might "fit in" (as well as being a freeby and also mustn't stand in the way of any of our untried youth players. I do feel a signing is imminent but 1 or 2 is just too little too late as we are lacking all over the pitch from GK, CB, LB, creative midfielder and god forbid a f****** Striker (a striker in the sense that he scores goals not someone who has simply played up front before)

We need new signings. Signings not last minute loanees......

• August 3, 2015 at 03:45

Sorry to say we r fooked don't care who agrees or disagrees relegation battle will commence this Saterday. Hope I'm proved wrong but what I have seen we r init

• August 3, 2015 at 11:45

From Geezer Mekongriver
    Forde is not fit we have been told so - so don't play him - Dan Archer is young and I would imagine super fit but given no time in the team - now somebody please explain that to me.
    Billy Beevers is not a left back and never will be he is a left footed CB and should play with Willy
    Webster (proven in Div1) Syd is not ready yet - fact.
    Right back Cunning Cumming needs to believe in himself and show confidence that's all really - let's hope Carlos is fully fit and can do a job.
    Jimmi, Uppy and Bungy Williams take care of themselves, so does Doc Martin (left mf).
    Gregs if fully fit takes care of himself - lets hope he can stay fit.
    Places for grabs for Fred and the fancy flyer PCH lets hope he can stay fit too.
    So my team for Sat, ARCHER, CUMMINGS, WEBSTER, BEEVERS & MARTIN (LB)
    UPSON, WILLIAMS, JIMMI AND LEE MARTIN (MF)
    GREGS AND NEW SIGNING IF NOT FRENCHIE OR FRED.
    Subs bench sorts itself out youngsters plus Forde.
    If NH play Jimmi left back of something stupid like that and plays Forde we will lose.
    Promotion if you believe that you must be seriously out of this world.
    Anyway who said that Pluto could not be reached - yep reach for the stars Wall and let's hope the scoreboard if not working is taken down - BECAUSE IF LEFT AS IT IS SHOWS TOTAL DISINTEREST AND CRAPB ORGANISATION ................................apart from that it is sunny in Essex the home of TOWIE.

• August 19, 2015 at 11:06

Harris aint got a clue should never been made manager until he got some experience. Forde should have gone last season on second thoughts who the f==k would want him.defo down this season.