Millwall manager Harris is confident of adding to the squad

NEIL Harris is confident of signing a striker by the time the League One campaign gets underway next Saturday.

Millwall travel to Shrewsbury in eight days to start their bid to make an immediate return to the Championship.

And Harris revealed things are “edging closer” in the pursuit of potential targets.

“Targets are progressing,” Harris said. “We’re at the stage now where talks are ongoing with clubs and certainly things are edging closer. I’m confident about getting something done by next weekend.

“We’re being patient, the market dictates to a certain extent. There aren't a million players available for what we require.

“We’re certainly being careful not to pick the wrong players and we don't want to get backed into a corner to pay overinflated wages.

“There will certainly be one in the building. Possibly more if I feel somebody can come in and improve our squad.

“I won’t take players for the sake of it,” Harris added. “Anyone who has seen us play in pre-season has seen players like Jamie Philpot, Ben Thompson and Kris Twardek.

“They certainly add to the quality of the young players we have here in Aiden O’Brien, Jack Powell, Fred Onyedinma and Sid Nelson.

“Straight away you’re talking about seven players who are 21-years-old and under who are capable of playing in the first team this season.

“I won't be bringing in players that will block the pathway of our youngsters.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

46 thoughts on “Millwall manager Harris is confident of adding to the squad

• July 31, 2015 at 15:08

so it sounds like we will be bringing at least one in..can we all stop moaning now and have a bit of positivity?!

• July 31, 2015 at 15:24

Well if it's Moro then to update people, he's been given a squad number at the weeds so read into that what you like.

• July 31, 2015 at 15:40

@Millwallsteve1972: let's be honest here , if Harris had money to spend he wouldn't be pushing all these kids through. We need 2 forwards with only Greggs as a real striker at the club. Marquis and Obrien are not goal scorers . Obrien in particular has never scored goals on loan or for the under 21s .

• July 31, 2015 at 16:23

@southstandview:

Good point mate even though the Hanson money must still be available or assume so.

• July 31, 2015 at 16:46

@southstandview: I disagree with this!
        I think it is essential to bring youth through if we have the funds or not. We will never buy our way to the top end of the championship (which must be our ambition), we must use youth just like Southampton did.

• July 31, 2015 at 16:49

@UpTheWall: all very well saying that but if our young players aren't good enough then it will do neither them nor the club any good , I don't think you can compare our young players to Southamptons , if they were that good they would have been taken from us for peanuts a long time ago .

• July 31, 2015 at 17:34

@southstandview: obrien scored goals at aldershot on loan I'll think you're find at tourquay didn't play get your facts right

• July 31, 2015 at 20:30

@dave666: 45 games 5 goals, you get your facts right mate , you must be easily impressed.

• July 31, 2015 at 20:43

@southstandview: when did he play 45 games he scored 8 in 10 on loan as for being impressed what you talking about I never said that. Your the one how needs to look at your statements before you open your mouth

• July 31, 2015 at 20:50

@dave666: 2 goals for us ,3 goals for aldershot and that's it , you really ought to do your research before you make any comments on here .

• July 31, 2015 at 20:57

@southstandview: did you say he didn't score any goals on loan. Read your post before you say I need to check my facts. Your no expert on facts. Easy cheap swipe on our youth says it all

• July 31, 2015 at 21:00

@southstandview: obrien in particular didn't score goals on loan your words now you say 2 at aldershot make your mind up what statement you standing by then no it all

• July 31, 2015 at 21:09

@dave666: sorry mate you've lost the plot and the argument, time will tell if Obrien does it but I personally think he should have been released.

• July 31, 2015 at 21:14

@southstandview: your missing the point. Your wrong that's all I've said but if it makes you feel better I'll agree with you I have lost the plot. You've lost your memory keep up your interesting facts

• July 31, 2015 at 21:33

@dave666: just searching for these extra 3 goals you reckon he's got , back when I find them .

• July 31, 2015 at 21:48

@southstandview: I'm searching for the goals you said he didn't score on loan as for your sitting on your high judgmental horse make sure your correct before you question others on there facts as for my opinion like yours we are all entitled to. But I will say what I think if your facts are less than right. If you don't like it don't post as you clearly get upset if anyone dares make you look wrong obrien did score on loan contradicting your so called facts

• July 31, 2015 at 21:54

@dave666: 3 goals in 26 loan games , I'm right, you know it but I won't upset you anymore by getting the facts right. I hope he does come good but he isn't a kid anymore and has to deliver this season.

• July 31, 2015 at 22:12

@southstandview: I agree with you he has to stand up and be counted this season as for the past that's gone if he ain't good enough after this season realise him like all players they must prove themselves this season is his to show one way or another

• July 31, 2015 at 22:13

• July 31, 2015 at 22:14

@southstandview: but your original statement was he never scored on loan is all I said I'm I right or wrong did he score on loan

• July 31, 2015 at 15:42

@Millwallsteve1972: Don't think Morison was ever on the cards just some websites with nothing to write about so make up some s*** to keep people reading.

• July 31, 2015 at 15:27

i can understand why our supporters moan 3 long years of struggle waste of space managers and a team of wage thieves,now at last we are getting a true millwall man to lead us and careful planing to avoid the big mistakes of the past, good luck neil and lets hope the den becomes a fortress once again.

• July 31, 2015 at 15:34

We are 3rd favourite's for the title which are laughable odds, long term we might be OK but I suspect we will struggle again this season, where are the goals going to come from?

• July 31, 2015 at 15:36

Credit to Neil for sticking to his guns and not panic buying . Any player from now that We bring in will be joining millwall as a tight knitted group, not individuals or a mercenary's...
    We are now back to basics clean slate we know what we need, want, and demand. Roll on first game at the Den ...

• July 31, 2015 at 16:25

@Bush: the reason he hasn't bought in hardly anyone is because he has no money to spend . He knows that this squad full of kids are going to struggle but can't say it that's all .

• July 31, 2015 at 18:12

@southstandview: most of NH comments are neutral hasn't over hyped anything or anyone, nor has he promised anything but we don't have a lot of money all if's and maybe's I believe Harris has not found anyone that fits the right model for a old fashioned centre forward like Hanson, because there is no one out there...
        his got the right mentaily in first
        framption, craig, Livermore,
        It filters to upson IMO vice captain material abdou's gergory all battlers.
        He could of been a massive ponce and begged for players and said I need A Mr Man United youth player once apon a time.

• July 31, 2015 at 16:09

Slightly off topic who's going Shrewsbury and anyone know what pub s we'll be given... COYL

• July 31, 2015 at 16:10

All I want to see is a bit of value for my money after 3 years of misery at the Den.
    The fact that so many still turn-up shows how much the club means to us through more thin than thick!!

• July 31, 2015 at 16:16

Was laughing to a comment that someone has posted on the 'Millwall Rumours' website, apparently we are being linked with a one certain 'Marvin Sordell'. Hmmm, don't think that one will happen, for some apparent reason.

• July 31, 2015 at 16:20

@dady71: well he don't score goals so would fit the bill of recent Millwall strikers .

• July 31, 2015 at 16:32

@dady71:

Someone's having a f****** bubble linking that piece of s*** to us lol!!

• July 31, 2015 at 17:00

@Millwallsteve1972: Why do you say that? Sordell's goal scoring record is better than any striker we had for a while. 33 goals in 92 Championshipand premiership league appearances and 8 goals in 9 in the FA cup and 4 goals out of 5 appearances in the League cup. Also scored for England U21. Hardly a mug and he is only 24, wouldn't mind him banging in a few goals for Millwall. However the chances of this story being true is a bit fanciful and someone is flying a kite.

• July 31, 2015 at 16:41

At last a piece of positive news and if it happens they sign a decent striker before next weekend I will take back all my negative comments. One good thing is that NH is not going down the same route as the clown and signing all and sundry. But a signing or two will make me sleep easier!

• July 31, 2015 at 19:30

@Peckhamlad: that all depends on who it is,remember I wouldnt get too excited we can't even raise money for a scoreboard,still trying to get my head around being third favourites for this league, who ever this striker is I wouldn't go too over the top.

• July 31, 2015 at 21:50

sordell !!!!!! Would have him at the den all day long, but after the way we slagged him off at the den, he would never come here....fact!!!!!

• August 1, 2015 at 11:13

I think we'll be alright next season.. 1 Striker and a left sided midfielder and I don't think we'll too badly.. Fancy Gregory to notch a couple more this season also

• August 1, 2015 at 11:43

Last season everyone moaned that we didn't have youngsters in the team and we had a old squad with wage thieves and players who didn't give a f**k. We have the best man for the job and a true Lion in Harris leading us who has f**ked off the old useless s**t from last season and introduced youth who are bred Millwall and will give 110%, yes they might make mistakes but it's all part of learning and becoming good footballers who will do our club proud. Worst thing we can do is slaughter them when things aren't quite going to plan. It's a long season and we haven't even kicked a ball yet but some people on here already written us off??? Yes we need a striker I'm sure Neil knows that more than most but why rush and bring in another hoff, fuller, taylor-fletcher?? Someone will be in before kick off and I'm sure Harris knows who/ what he wants. Slow down and have a bit of faith, we have a good team and a legend leading us, show the youngsters support and get the Den rocking... Milllllll!!!!!!!!

• August 1, 2015 at 12:19

Possible Strikers:
    Devante Cole ex manchester city
    Alex Kiwomya chelsea
    George Warring stoke
    Elliot Lee vermins
    Nicky Maynard would be very useful if he stays fit
    Steve Morison NO Thanks!
    My first choice is still Matt Smith from foolham....

• August 1, 2015 at 12:22

Anyone fancy the return of Robbo.....