Harris may look to loan market to strengthen Millwall side

NEIL Harris will utilise the loan market if he deems it necessary.

The Millwall manager is still actively searching for players to strengthen his side with only nine days to go until the start of the new League One season.

Harris hasn't ruled out permanent additions as the search continues for new signings before the big kick-off on August 8.

And the Den boss has said, if needs be, the loan market will be used to bring in additional players.

“I think I'm quite open to either (loan or permanent signings),” Harris said.

“I'm not against the loan system whatsoever, I think if used in the right manner, it can be really productive.

“For me, a loan period is either for us to have the opportunity to have a look at somebody, or it's to bring in a player for a period of time as someone else is unavailable – both are win-win situations. I'm not opposed to the market.

“I like our players, I like what we have, but if we need to bring in one or two to strengthen for a period of time and give us a chance to look at the bigger picture and have a closer look at other players, then that fits as well.

“We need to be patient to a certain degree, I'm not going to waver on my stance that I’ll only sign players I want to sign. I'm not going to take players just for the sake of taking them, it's wrong.”

Harris added: “The aim is always to get the players in you want by the Shrewsbury game, that’s the main aim.

“If it means adding to the squad after the first game of season, or after the first few games because of injury, suspensions or I feel we may be lacking something. I'll certainly be willing to do that.

“We’re working everyday being mindful that we looking to bring players in from teams who are in similar situations to us and looking to sign players. We are at the stage now where I need to speak to clubs and managers.

“I know players might want to come but, if they're not being let go by their clubs then it becomes difficult.

“There are targets that we like, we know the characters and abilities and what they offer. We’re just now being patient while waiting for other clubs to get in their targets and let us have their players.

“It's a waiting game, which is frustrating, but I'm fully appreciative of everybody's situation.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

84 thoughts on “Harris may look to loan market to strengthen Millwall side

• July 30, 2015 at 09:13

I think the club's search for a striker may well come as a loanee and, who knows, we may unearth another Harry Kane.

• July 30, 2015 at 14:47

@Bolland:

Does my comment really deserve 105 dislikes? Sod it, I can't be bothered to comment again.

• July 30, 2015 at 15:58

@Bolland: Don't think many are keen on the prospect of us loaning anybody - wouldn't take it personally mate!

• July 31, 2015 at 00:44

@Bolland: I think people dislike the fact that every loan player we have found ends up somewhere else, for a long term problem we can't be searching for short term solutions anymore.

• July 30, 2015 at 09:15

Oh dear this is worrying the season starts in little over a week and STILL NO STRIKER! We need a miracle!

• July 30, 2015 at 09:19

Personally hate the loan system, rather than get young player from one of the big boys, the last few seasons we have been getting 30+ year olds who are not interested.
    Go back a few years when we were getting. Wood, Kane, Ohara, glen Johnson etc, young and hungry not old and s***!!

• July 30, 2015 at 09:23

@dpendet:

I totally agree but as you can see form my earlier post I get 2 dislikes! We don't want old 30+ journeymen that have not graced our shirt over the past few seasons. We can't attract the right type of striker to our club and no prizes for guessing why we can't, it's plain to see.

• July 30, 2015 at 19:06

@dpendet: we need a player like afobe who at wolves now he is a good player

• July 30, 2015 at 09:24

This says to me we have one last option on stand by, if that falls through its going to be a loan which I'm not overly happy with but if needs must!

• July 30, 2015 at 09:28

Sounds like we are waiting for Morison to me

• July 30, 2015 at 09:58

@Block5: “There are targets that we like, we know the characters and abilities and what they offer". definitely a Morrison reference Block5.

• July 30, 2015 at 09:30

Loans are fine as long as they're used to bulk up the squad and increase competition, however i feel like Harris isn't getting the financial backing he needs to compete at the top. We need goals!! So obviously a striker is a must, but we need goals from our midfielders too! When the likes of Sheff Utd and Wigan are signing Sharp and Davies, why can't we sign that calibre of player who's going to get goals in this division? Very worried

• July 30, 2015 at 09:41

Bring back Maggie he would score for fun in this division we need to be signing players now as we can't in January. Coyl

• July 30, 2015 at 10:47

@Peckhamlad: Totally agree Maggie would have been great in this division but there again perhaps he is looking for better football. He was misused by silly guts who played him out of position and only intermittently.

• July 30, 2015 at 10:01

@john H: I have a feeling it was attitude John, do not know anything or heard any stories but Neil is very keen on a harmonious squad, otherwise it seemed to me a no brainier to keep him in this league.

• July 30, 2015 at 12:21

@lennie the lion: maybe your right, he didn't get fair crack IMO but maybe the reason was because of poor attitude, whenever he scored though the players seemed to go crazy and he ran to the bench a few times?

• July 30, 2015 at 12:28

@JONO: He was repeatedly and publicly embarrassed by the club over his weight/body fat % and also his bankruptcy, he had the highest goals to games ratio last season yet struggled to get a start, we're now a league below where we were - why would he have stayed with us?

• July 31, 2015 at 09:40

@lennie the lion: shame, looked the part to me, maybe sometimes you have to put up with a bit of attitude, think of all the great and talented players know, plenty of them had attitude.

• July 30, 2015 at 09:46

I think JB should have sold the club when he had the chance , he only wrote off the 8.5 million because he knew he would not get this money back that is there no money for new players

• July 30, 2015 at 10:19

I think this is going to be a long hard season. We seem to be relying on a few older pro's and a lot of inexperienced youngsters, with a few injuries or suspensions we will struggle. We have only added a couple of new players after letting 18 go at the end of the season, so we must have cut our wage bill considerably,. Money was obviously available a few weeks ago, so whAt has happened ? Loans are useful but once a player settles in and maybe scores a few goals or plays well, then gets recalled a big hole is left to full quickly. I just hope NH is not being restricted by the money he needs to build a decent team. The Wigans and sheffields are building their teams and we are not

• July 30, 2015 at 10:25

If we're to loan somebody it needs to be loan-to-buy we can't rely on loanees anymore - it doesn't work!! I recall NH saying he didn't want to sign loanees only a couple of months back so seeing this is somewhat underwhelming!

• July 30, 2015 at 10:54

Here we go again scraping around the barrel once more. I do not blame NH but I do blame the Chairman, Ambler and the other directors who have allowed the club to slide into this situation. The club is in need of transfers at the top.
    On the subject of loans perhaps they might loan a scoreboard off another club?

• July 30, 2015 at 11:31

@Peckhamlad: Harris is working under constraints as we don't have any money to spend as they are still paying off Coco's remaining part of his contract which I believe is a 5 figure weekly sum. He really has shafted us big style proper toxic.
      So NH has got to try to preform miracles with what he has got and what he can get in on loan's, lets hope id does better than the potty one did last term, any way I for one am not excepting too much of an improvement this year even thou we are in a lower division, because this was the level we were preforming at last term.
      IMO I think that he has condemned us to 3 years of trying to get of league 1 and he has got a brand new job working for Sky with his expert knowledge of the football league (well he will never manage again lets hope), so money from us and money from Sky the highest paid clown since Charlie Carolie.

• July 31, 2015 at 08:29

@Peckhamlad: True it would only upset you knowing what he is getting from the Wall still is stopping us improving the squad & now we are in leagues one we will hardly ever feature on it or maybe just a very brief highlight if you were lucky.

Well it will soon start and we have another 9 & half months to look forward to watching the great Millwall.

• August 1, 2015 at 19:07

@Dazi: Him and the Hof at front lol, our problems are solved!!!

• July 30, 2015 at 11:07

After 3 abysmal seasons finally ending in relegation, the supporters have purchased more season tickets and memberships than last year.I think this remarkable loyalty should rewarded with at least moderate investment in the squad.

• July 30, 2015 at 11:17

So where waiting for other clubs to strengthen and we can go in for their dross, don't sound good to me long season ahead, this is the wall way I'm used to, things need to change this is our football club not a market stool, NH must be frustrated with the red tape from above.

• July 30, 2015 at 11:43

Complete and utter emabarrasment as usual. 9 days before the start of the season we are again saying we might have to use loans blah blah blah, we have had all summer to get our house in order but yet again will rely on whoevers left that noone else wants on loan, don't we ever learn. I appreciate we won't be signing million pound strikers but every other team manages to sign players ready for the start of the season, I have seen players better than we have signing for s*** like Scunthorpe!!! JB said in May/June we have the third biggest budget in league etc etc and we will spend and compete etc, people were optamistic and season ticket sales went up, we then sign a young keeper, Tony Craig and Gillinghams third choice left back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We should of been able to attact good 1st or 2nd division strikers for reasonable money yet Hariis/Amber and co make out it's rocket science to sign anyone and we are fed the usual crap about they need to fit in the group etc etc, it's just excuse after excuse when part of running and managing a club is signing players, every other club (many smaller than ours) seems to manage to sign players. The thought of starting the season with Marquis up front is a complete joke, proved over many years at Millwall (and given plenty of chances before everyone says he hasn't) that he is not good enough yet a few goals at the pikies and all is forgotton. The club is run appalingly from top to bottom and once again the fans are being short changed. All hope and optimism we had after the Wolves game has disappeared after a simply disgraceful summer of transfer activity (or non activity) 18 players out and 3 in, if the club think we can challenge for promotion with kids then they need locking up. The people responsible for standing by Holloway far too long are still running the club, deeply worrying and seemingly unaccountable for there decisions, Ambler seems to be a massive problem. I have my Shrewsbury ticket but am going in hope rather then any expectation.

• July 30, 2015 at 20:53

@millwall0501: I understand your frustration as I'm sure most do, but I think you are missing some big points. We have tried to sign players but we are a small club and simply can't afford what good players want. We've had the guts knocked out of us by previous managers and the worst being holloway who put us in financial dire straight with FFP. This can't be undone over night and you can blame JB all you like but if I were him I'm buggerd if I'd spend money on this club the way he has. I think he's a blessing, or would you rather have reg burr! Look at the positives, we finally have an academy producing some good future talent and we have a manager that loves the club like we do. Can't remember the last time I could say that. The only expectation I have for this season is to see a team of fighters on the pitch, and to see them grow each week and slowly get better. Anything else is a plus. We've taken some major steps back in order to come back stronger, but I believe we will come good. Like the song goes 'come rain or shine' and it might be raining now but it won't last forever. Can't wait to see our young lions show there teeth. Keep the faith mate

• July 30, 2015 at 11:51

4 seasons we've been looking for a striker , everyone has been crying out to get one & this is what it has come down to, awaiting another club to buy someone else so we can have the opportunity to talk to their rejects.
    I don't blame NH , he is trying to make a bad situation good, what I do blame is the board they seem to fail at every given opportunity, we have needed a striker for a while now , we moan about it at the beginning of the season , during & after the season & yet still nothing is done. As fellow supporters have said other clubs have already sorted themselves out & it is worrying that with 9 days to go were still looking for players .

• July 30, 2015 at 12:32

This has been a worrying trend under Berylson/ Ambler for sometime, the board aren't backing Harris,striker was supposed to be a priority, waiting on other clubs,loan players again, all ominous signs at this stage. I'm beginning to fear for us,Scunthorpe,Barnsley,Sheffield Utd,are all looking strong,if the younger players feel the pressure and the goals dry up,looking at our midfield with lack of goals it's possible, I think Berylson will be happy to stay in this division for 2 or more season and save money,just hope we don't do a Bristol City and slip down the leagues like they did in the eighties !.

• July 30, 2015 at 12:32

f*** the loan system I would rather see youth in the team if we're gonna be mugged off with no striker signing !!!

• July 30, 2015 at 12:55

Palace fan taking the p*** last night, asking if I'm going Fleetwood and so on.... My reply no I'm going Millwall....

Doesn't matter who we play, I'm going to watch my team! We might be in for a tough season but let's get behind these boys as they will try twice as hard as the wasters we have had to put up with!!!

We are in this together!! No one likes us we don't care!!!

• July 30, 2015 at 13:08

We have had some good loans in the past. And some shockers as well. I'm sure we can all see that Harris war chest is empty. We gotta hope Millwall youth can get us through the coming season and a few quid is spent next season. I'm not going to kid myself and believe we will add to our squad. The ups and downs of football we know about. As for this season who really knows how it will end up

• July 30, 2015 at 13:33

It will end up Wall playing at Dartford or Bromley, JB will make his millions re; regeneration and everybody in South London will be happy when Wall goes especially the Police. It has been on the cards for a long time and our relegation last year - has all but fast tracked it on his way. Sorry but this is reality whatever way you try to dismiss or cover it up - IT IS THE MASTER PLAN.

• July 30, 2015 at 13:35

I'm very annoyed to be hearing this baloneys before we kick off in Division Three....
    Its obvious the club have no money so when are the scouts going to step up to the plate and produce the next Neil Harris and Steve Morison...

• July 30, 2015 at 13:43

@benzo: Didn't say we were going to be competing at the top, but in theory that's where we should be come the end of the season. Why shouldn't we aim to bounce straight back? Just need to invest in our team, quality and experience isn't there

• July 30, 2015 at 13:45

Hi, all this is crazy we can pay coco off 2m but cant buy a striker whats going on we cant even brake our transfer record that was 25 years ago.

• July 30, 2015 at 13:46

• July 30, 2015 at 13:53

Fking sounds desperate tonme loans are a disaster, wood, waghorn,puncheon, so on and so on, hulse ffs its a joke, surrly there must be a striker who fancies a bash at playing for the best supporters in the world. JB sorry mate put your money where your mouth is mate

• July 30, 2015 at 13:55

Complete shambles! Quick question, where has that 500k gone that we bid for Hanson? Down the swanny.. I was optimistic for this season ahead, looks as if we've just been fed lies, not good enough!

• July 30, 2015 at 14:12

We are doing all we can to end up in League 2.
    There seems no ambition at all to get back into the Championship.
    As DELBOY says, JB put you money where your mouth is.

• July 30, 2015 at 14:16

I think its Morison or a loanee by the sounds of it. I posted a couple of weeks ago that NH had told a relative of mine at the Bromley game that there was no budget for big signings, and he has to get on with his youth policy. I don't think its gonna be a disaster this year but we will be mid table at best. I also have no idea who or what is out there as a striker. The other clubs mentioned on here buying players, are buying players that no one else wants so we can't have our cake and eat it. We are in Lg1, so we will get that quality of player, or a young prem U21/18 player that the home club want to develop. No interest in Millwall whatsoever, just games and trying to make a name. I hope I'm wrong

• July 30, 2015 at 14:33

All this doom and gloom, come on fella's we have not kicked a ball yet, yes we have a young squad, hooray for that, we have been shouting out to get rid of has been's and journey men for a couple of seasons. I just hope all the negative posters come back and say sorry to JB,AA etc if we storm the league. I am just looking forward to a season of players trying to play football, giving all for the shirt and fans, and I for one think the manager and squad will do that, if that is good enough then great, if not I will be first on to say sorry got that wrong, but at the moment I am really excited about the new season.

• July 30, 2015 at 14:56

@lennie the lion: I can understand your views.
      Yes it is good to give Youth a chance and produce your own players.
      And yes it was good to get rid of the 16-18 time wasters.
      I was optimistic a while back,but that seems to have disappeared.
      I thought after letting those players go and others taking a wage cut that we would add 6-8 players to our squad.
      Needless to say 1 of those players would be a striker/goalscorer (and as someone has said what has changed since we bid for Hanson ?).
      There seems to be much smaller Clubs than us in League 1 who seem more ambitious than us.
      I would love to be proved wrong and we do `storm the League`.
      Somehow I doubt it very much.

• July 30, 2015 at 15:54

@Longfield Lion: I think Logfield the truth will actually be somewhere in the middle of our thoughts. I also think that for one season I would be happy with mid table safety all season with most points coming at the Den. We will see, but but ever happens the Lions are for life and no doubt if the stress of another year does not get me the season ticket will be renewed for the 16-17 season.

• July 30, 2015 at 15:00

I'm not being funny or anything but have we not brought in a new chief scout in recent weeks, what is the purpose of their role, they supervise a bunch of scouts who do a lot of miles up and down the motorway searching for potential players that want to play at a higher level, report back to Chief scout who then informs the manager to have a look at this lad, manager goes to have a look, reports back to chief exec, who then starts the principle discussions with their counterpart. Agree a nominal fee and chuck in a few track suits as a bonus, player agrees their terms, signs contract.... Job done. How many scouts on walls books ? It surely cannot be that difficult job........sorry got to go, off to do my coaching badges. Also please explain the purpose of a certain Mr Ambler ?

• July 30, 2015 at 15:21

@dady71: he's got the purpose of being a c*** to our football club!!! Surely engine can see that! You can put most of the blame for running our club down the pan to him!

• July 30, 2015 at 16:57

@dady71: Bob Pearson, one of our best scouts had contacts across the country and Northern Ireland. The latter regularly run his eye over young prospects and Bob used to either fly there to look or invite the player to the club, he managed to sign a few good players. Not only that being on very good terms with many other scouts he often got the tip off about youngsters with potential. Kinsella, O' Callaghan, Horne, Stevens, Sheringham, Sadlier, Cahill, and many more came to Millwall that way. What has happened to the youth set up the club was famed for?

• July 30, 2015 at 15:38

I only come on here to see if we've signed a new striker.
    I'm off now, see you next July when I'll pop back again to see if we sign a striker.

I'd come back in January but you know, embargoes and all that.
    Ta Ta

• July 30, 2015 at 16:08

Some one mentioned it earlier 3 bloody years and all we got to show for our efforts is greggs..thats six transfer windows come jan it will be 7 ..millwall your taking the p***..

• July 30, 2015 at 17:02

Wake up things won't change jb has to go . Thanks for what you've done but you ain't willing to invest so move on. This is dire we have Gregory the only striker we have spent money on from non league . It's pathetic

• July 30, 2015 at 19:10

Excuse me Millwall why have we now got more scouts than players bottom six finish this year can't see us making mid table I predict a lot of losses 1-0 and our great support turning against the owner and players plus the management after 20 games back to the bad old days of a total crap team after some of our good youngsters get injured or sold off can't even be bothered to join this years news at den prediction league after a respectable top 30 finish last term crap div and crap football our inexperienced youngsters will get seven bells knocked out of them

• July 30, 2015 at 19:34

You lot crack me up!!
    We only need a striker and we will walk the league, but without one we are relegated.
    We can't play with our youth team, but we are talking about 2, maybe 3 of our starting 11.

• July 30, 2015 at 20:10

@UpTheWall: You crack me up,thinking we only need a striker to walk the league. Sort yourself out.

• July 31, 2015 at 16:34

@LETEMCOME:
        I don't think he meant it like that. It seemed to me like he meant most of the drama queens on here are saying "we need a striker" and then we will p*** the league, but without one, everyone seems to think we are fked. Is sensible people know that's not the case but I do enjoy sitting back and having a laugh at some of the peoples comments on here. Proper breakdown material, and so much rubbish being spouted it's unreal. You just gotta laugh at NAD.

• July 30, 2015 at 20:00

f*** off JB u don't no f*** all about football u promise fans about u will invest and get players in fed up with all the lies we all are so sell up and f*** off back 2 America we dont need u in England COYL

• July 30, 2015 at 20:41

Why do we have a chairman that is supposedly minted but we cant afford nothing. I think he has employed boardroom staff who have as much a clue has he does and is being made to look a t***. Ambler out.

• July 30, 2015 at 20:53

And ambler f*** off u bald c*** we don't need u at our beloved MILLWALL we got best fans in the world and we deserved better then this s*** COYL NOLU, WDC we are MILLWALL super MILLWALL we are MILLWALL from the DEN MILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

• July 30, 2015 at 21:49

I just heard we're going to sign Simeon Jackson, Nile ranger and Martin waghorn.

• July 30, 2015 at 23:18

@benzo:

Heard from where? Jackson scored 2 goals in 3 appearances when he played for us before.

Nile Ranger's troubled career at Blackpool could be over for good after the striker claimed he'd been sent back to London by manager Neil McDonald.

After returning to training 10 days late after an unapproved eight-month absence, Ranger took to Instagram to tell fans about his latest off-the-pitch issue.

The former Newcastle striker described the situation as a 'shambles' as he called for the help of the Professional Footballers' Association on the social media site.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3179194/Blackpool-striker-Nile-Ranger-claims-sent-London-boss-Neil-McDonald-finally-returning-training.html#ixzz3hPor8WZX
      Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Martin Waghorn another forward from Rangers but know little about him.

Hope this is not another false rumour.

• July 31, 2015 at 00:40

@Peckhamlad: Waghorn also played for us on loan, he was a work horse, not prolific infront of goal but would graft up top in league 1.

Ranger is vermin, went AWOL at Blackpool, he would not last five minutes here he's a street rat whos still out robbing. Shame and waste of talent, would cause drama in dressing room

• July 31, 2015 at 16:39

@benzo:
      Someones making stuff up and telling you lies. Bomber and the fans would NEVER accept Ranger down the den. Waghorn has only just signed for rangers, and Simeon Jackson is a pile of s**** who is a midget, therefore doesn't fit our criteria.

• July 30, 2015 at 23:41

Your a lucky man JB you was badly advised to have Lomas as manager and got out of jail by appointing a so called quality manager ( hands up I was all for it ) then when that so spectacularly went wrong was advised again to wait to long to get shot of him which ultimately got us relegated I take it Ambler was a big part in all those decisions or an advisor. Then lucky enough Bomber was waiting in the wings to get you out of the mess again , making a legend manager always works even if its only for a season , you were also lucky enough to have 3 or 4 youngsters who wanted to sign 2 year plus contracts which helped keep the fans happy but I think your lack of real ambition will come back to haunt you and the luck will run out , Bomber was a cheap option so were the young players I dread to think what would have happened if those mentioned were not around the club at the time as no real investment has gone into the now much smaller cheaper squad . Yes you lost a lot of money but that's football if we had ever got in the prem you would have been laughing .
    believe it or not I actually like JB but now is not the time to not gamble on our future .

• July 31, 2015 at 01:07

Same old Millwall.....taking the p***

Millwall fans treated like mushrooms once again - kept in the dark and fed on s***. Come on you do-gooders. Simply not good enough, so so predictable trotting out the same old lane excuses. Honest to Christ - some of the petit criminals I defend in court every week trot out more original excuses that our beloved club. I love Millwall more than I love my wife, but even she affords me more respect than to fob me off with such a load of predictable old bolllocks. I've bought 4 season tickets for the coming season, 1 more than usual as an attempt to recruit a new follower who has lost his soul to a plastic Prem club. It would be really helpful if the club could provide us with some more ammunition to fire our enthusiasm rather than yet more predictable stories that should all start with "regretfully we are no nearer to signing a new striker worth a f****** s*** for the fourth season in a row but..........."

• July 31, 2015 at 08:36

@T20ColdBlowLion: T20 a great post I am in the same vein as you I have no enthusiasm for it at the moment but again got the season ticket, don't fancy too many away games, but if the results start coming our way well you never know maybe I may change my mind.

I would just like the Den to once again be a place away teams fear to come so that's where we need to do our bit, but first the team need to give us something to identify with??

• July 31, 2015 at 08:58

“If we have somebody in by C.D Tondela, it would be perfect. As I'm finding out, however, football isn't a perfect business." - I'm hopeful today then is the day we get somebody in...