CARLOS Edwards is scheduled to play for Millwall in a behind-closed-doors friendly next week.
The 36-year-old defender had been out for eight months after suffering knee ligament damage in September and was due to play in an U21’s friendly against Kingstonian last Tuesday.
Edwards was kept out of the side as a precaution after picking up a groin strain in training.
And Millwall manager Neil Harris has said the Trinidadian is still going to get the chance to prove his fitness with a view to the defender earning a new contract.
“Carlos is still with us,” Harris said. “He's had a niggling groin injury, it was a little set back before the Kingstonian game.
“He's done every session of pre-season and he's ahead of schedule to where we thought he would be.
“We planned for him to get half an hour in the Kingstonian game but he had a tight groin.
“The decision was made not to play him because he's been out injured for eight months, so why take a risk?
“He has been back in training this week with a view to getting minutes in a friendly next week.”
Harris added: “He will have an opportunity to prove his fitness to himself, as well as to us, in order to try and earn a contract. He’s been out for a long time with a nasty injury.
“His desire to get back fit has been phenomenal at his age, he still has the same ability he had before his injury.
“Carlos needs to prove to himself, and to me, that he is still capable of playing.
“Once he does that, we will see where it goes from there.”