Millwall boss Harris: Trialists will continue to be assessed

NEIL Harris has revealed the club will continue to look at trialists.

Millwall have had several trialists at the club in recent weeks, including former Watford left-back Harry Kyprianou and Bryne FK midfielder Henrik Breimyr.

The Lions boss has said the club haven't taken up the option to sign any of the players currently on trial.

And Harris will continue to have a look at players recommended to him who are keen to impress.

“At the moment we're not in the position where we've wanted to take in any of the trialists. That could change in time, it could change varying on position and age," Harris said.

“We’re always looking at players, especially young ones to come in and show ability. We would want them to one day force their way into the U21’s team and from that, get into the first team group.”

“With so many players each year out of contract, trialists become a club’s market where you can dictate the situation. In some cases, we feel we would like to have a look at a player.

“If I want to look at a player and he wants to come in and prove himself, then I'm keen to look at him."

Harris added: “I want them to have that hunger and back themselves and do well. You want that type of player to play for your football club.

“If you have an opportunity to bring players in and have a look at them, in some instances, it’s a no-brainer.

“As long as they come recommended and with the right attitute, we will continue to have trialists in.

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

60 thoughts on “Millwall boss Harris: Trialists will continue to be assessed

• July 28, 2015 at 09:06

Still no new's on a new striker. Boring.....

• July 28, 2015 at 09:31

I can't believe that the start of the season is so near and yet there's no 'proper' news to read. I don't blame NaD because there's obviously nothing of note coming out of the club. Sounds like the Morison rumour is starting up again?

• July 28, 2015 at 09:45

The real news is that there is no news and with just over a week to the start of the season (well draw your own conclusions) with out the proper tools we wont be able to complete the job in this division, if these trialist's have not convinced NH by now with one week to go, does he risk giving them a contract or let them go.

It is looking like it could be a similar season to the last 3 we have had to endure, but as always it's Millwall and we are used to it but we don't have to like it. It would be nice to go to a home game thinking this is a sure 3 points but lets hope that NH has done his home work and we walk away after the Coventry game with 6 points and top of league 1 COYL!!!

• July 28, 2015 at 09:53

Cannot believe it was 6-8 weeks ago that we bid for Hanson ?
    Now it is just 11 days before the start of the season and we seem no nearer getting that elusive striker !
    JB is willing to write off 8.4 Million as if it is a p**s in the Ocean (which it probably is for him) yet does not seem willing to make proper funds available for the goal-scorer we have needed now for 3-4 seasons.

• July 28, 2015 at 09:56

Realistically we won't be getting a striker before the start of the season. NH will have to work with what we have and the jury is out if he can get them to play as a cohesive team. Without an effective striker I think our goals will come from set pieces, hence his previous posts sand it will be defenders that get them. Maybe a goal or two from midfield. Don't be surprised if we go to the loan market in January. This season is about survival make no mistake

• July 28, 2015 at 10:01

@Geoff the lion: Geoff in reality that was always going to be the case, but NH as a very new manager was never going to spill the beans he must have been told to work with what's left at the club and "maybe" he may be able to tempt so loans after the seasons kicks off.

• July 28, 2015 at 12:15

@Geoff the lion: We'll be under an embargo in January - so we won't be signing anyone then! This window is it for us!

• July 28, 2015 at 09:58

Can't wait for the season to start. Not expecting to much. Harris has no money. The team is paper thin in some positions. Let's hope Harris and co can unearth a jem. If our gates go down there will be no money to buy full stop. We need more fans to get of their armchairs and get down the den if you can.

• July 28, 2015 at 10:25

@dave666: More fans would be great, but can you blame people for staying away after the last three years? Combined with League One football and no proper signings this summer there's very little to entice stay-away fans back. I've seen us relegated six times in my years at Millwall, but this is by far the least hopeful I've felt about us bouncing back. As some suggest, the club look to be striving for survival this season rather than challenging for promotion.

• July 28, 2015 at 10:38

@Micky Lions: Your right Micky about people staying away in the last couple of seasons. I have not missed a home game in that time except for holidays but I have to admit it was with a sense of dread that I would to the Den at the end. BUT with a manager who we can relate to and a team made up of mainly our own youngsters with the odd Millwall stalwart, Jimmy, TC and Forde I am much happier this year than last, we are also a bigger fish in this pond so realistically should get better results. I have always said that I would rather see us win in this league than suffer in a higher one. We have to face it we are a small club, maybe the biggest small club in the world, but a small club non the less, and as many have said the championship is more and more a two part league those with parachute payments and those without. I am not as pessimistic as you I think we have a real shot at top six but I would actually settle for mid table safety with five or six matches left.

• July 28, 2015 at 10:40

@Micky Lions: I know what your saying Micky. I'm just worried that if we have a bad start. The fans will stop going. I can see this season being a struggle. And to many things stacked against us.

• July 28, 2015 at 10:46

@Micky Lions: agreed, more bums on seats would always be great but right or wrong, fans have different expectation, and some are totally unrealistic. The fact is that NH did make a difference when he took over, just too late though. We have had a whole sale clear out and are effectively starting with a new young team. For me, that's a good thing for the future, but the next two seasons are going to be hard. Next season we will be in the lower half of the division, maybe relegation contenders. The following season NH will have a squad that will be playing as a team and we will be in the top half but not play offs. The year after we will either go up or sell players and the process starts again. It's just how it roles. This season will be a good test for Gregory. He clearly wasn't good enough in the championship, regardless of the mental ones tactics. Maybe in div one we might just see a more confident Gregory, and that I believe will be the difference

• July 28, 2015 at 10:04

Don't worrie we've got Beavers and Sid, we don't need a striker

• July 28, 2015 at 10:05

I think the Striker Neil always wanted was going to be an experienced one but also proven at this level. He has been waiting on Leeds to get back from their pre-season tour and to sort out a bid out for Morro. Fact of the matter is, the fee would be nominal, Steve knows the club, what is expected and would get more first team action with us than at any of other club.

He gets to come back to London and Bomber and us the fans know that SM is a 20 man goal scorer at this level. He is proven. He knows himself this is his chance to get whats left of his playing career back on track and be part of another promotion winning team. Its a deal that makes sense for all parties involved including Leeds who want to offload. I think Chris Wood weekly salary is weighing them down a bit! It will be done before the season starts.

• July 28, 2015 at 10:33

"as long as they come in the right manor"???
    Where do they get these journalists from?

• July 28, 2015 at 10:34

But it's just not a striker that worries me,who's gonna score the goals from midfield, just look at our goal tally from Martin,about,Williams its dire!!.

• July 28, 2015 at 10:48

Think sm will try for another championship club and get more wages if he can, not sure he is the hungry player we are looking for.but at this late in the game we might have to take him,because I'm not sure we have many 20 goals a season players out ther that would come to a league one club this late in the summer, prove me wrong please bomber .

• July 28, 2015 at 11:05

Perhaps one good thing that will come out of this is we wont have to hear anymore of this " we are backing the manager" b***** from Ambler. We has signed absolutely nobody and we have let so many players go. Harris has the weakest Millwall squad I can remember. But he is Neil Harris, Millwall legend and he has the best fans in the country backing him so anything is possible. Good luck Neil, you're going to need it but we are all behind you.

• July 28, 2015 at 11:53

@NPEgentlemansclub: The thing is the player's we have let go have either been rubbish or injury prone,unlike you i think that this squad is far better than last year's if only for one reason,they are young and hungry and if we get behind them i am sure they will do well,time will tell.
      On the subject of bringing player's in in particular a CF,many fan's are blaming the board for not giving NH any money,well NH has said many times in the past he is not going to be rushed,i am sure if the board were not giving NH any cash to spend he would not be saying what he has and he would keep quiet about not being rushed,i am also sure NH would be upfront and say he is going with what he has,or are some of us saying NH is pulling the wool over our eye's-personally i think not,he may not have the amount of money to spend as we would like,so let's give NH the freedom to do what he is doing and not put pressure on the man.

• July 28, 2015 at 12:00

@jim1222: One question about the player's we let go from last season.Who would you have kept to have made this present squad stronger?.
        If he was not injury prone i would have kept Bailey,but alas injury wise he could not be relied on.
        I would have looked at keeping woolford.
        Dunne although he has been a long serving player and a credit to millwall,his positional sense was beginning to go.
        So who would you have kept.

• July 28, 2015 at 19:23

@jim1222: I would have liked to have kept Woolford, as he is a good player for L1. Gueye would have been fantastic at L1 level but he was probably on silly money so he had to go. I can't really think of any other players Harris dumped that I would have kept. We may well struggle this season if we don't sign a couple of experienced players but it might work out better for us if it means the youngsters get the experience that will bring them on. Could be that we will be a lot stronger for the following season.
          Anyway, the bookies still have us second favourites to go up, so it can't be a really strong league can it?

• July 28, 2015 at 12:24

@jim1222: I can't disagree with most of what you are saying. I would have kept a few, definitely Woolford but that is my opinion and the beauty of sites like this is there are so many different opinions. One thing we all agree on is we want a football team that makes us proud to support. I hope your right about the kids but my fear is they could get swallowed up in this league. I'm looking for an experienced spine to the team players that can score goals. I hate to say it and maybe I'm get cynical and grumpy in my old age but I cannot say anyone in this side that has 10 goals in them let alone 20. But I will be happy to be proved wrong.

• July 28, 2015 at 16:17

@jim1222: Maggie was ok and would probably excel in this league but no doubt he wants better football than league 1 plus same or more wages as last season.

• July 28, 2015 at 11:10

Sorry about the dislike on the roars post I was trying to get rid of that annoying advert and touched dislike by mistake

• July 28, 2015 at 11:54

The last few years our top goal scorer hasn't even reached 10 goals but there is no one out there who can that will join us. Maybe Gregory can get over 10 but will end up with another Hoff or someone like Theo Robinson

• July 28, 2015 at 11:59

Just for everyone's information, there was only 1 player who scored over 20 goals in Lg2 last year, and 4 in Lg1. There were 7 in the Championship, all way out of our league, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not keep going on about signing a 20+ goals a year striker. Every club in the land is looking for that, so why do we think we will suddenly sign this gem. Much better we have 10+ from a variety of players instead of looking for the 'signing of the century' . Maybe Morison can chip in if we sign him, but not if he has the same attitude as the last time he was here.

• July 28, 2015 at 12:04

@beedoscores: As ever beedo you speak common sense and see thing's as they are and how we want them to be.

• July 28, 2015 at 12:17

@jim1222: A part of our play we have to greatly improve on this season is set piece's,both in defending and attacking we have been woeful in the past 3 season's,so far in the friendlies we look as though we may be improving,player,s like william's and Lmartin need to look at jack powell and whip in dipping free kick's and not the floating in the air type that give defender's all the time in the world to defend.In defending free kick's the player's need to attack the ball more in particular our goalkeeper,as a goalkeeper myself i was alway's taught the 6 yard box was mine,alas in the past few season's that has not been the case.

• July 28, 2015 at 12:06

Here's the latest Moro story.

• July 28, 2015 at 13:02

I would love to see Moro back at The Den. I think the attitude thing was down to not really wanting to be back, at that particular time. I would like to think that if he did return, he would want to show Leeds what they could have had. I find it rather ironic that Chris Wood was one of the players we signed (albeit on loan) to try and fill the void left by Morison's departure the previous year.

We know Bomber is looking for a big front man, so Steve certainly fits the bill and his first spell goal tally was excellent, considering he was played toom deep to start with. But I would like to see a double offer to Leeds, for Morison and Nicky Ajose.

• July 28, 2015 at 13:42

I actually think Moro and Gregs up front would be a good combo. I think its worth pursuing. At least N.H. will play them to their strengths.

• July 28, 2015 at 13:49

Oh good another waste of column inches for a minute there I thought I wasted my time reading more pointeles reports, the ironic thing is we have a wealth of midfielders and ok on the defensive side the only position it looks were not trying to fill is a foward position wtf.

• July 28, 2015 at 14:52

FFS - still considering trial it's who have been on trial with us for some time and as yet not done enough to be offered anything. These trial it's are trial it's coz no other f****** team wants them and we are still considering them. The sooner we draw to an end this protracted process of looking at these f****** who just aren't up to it and say thanks (for nothing) but no thanks, the better off we will be do we can work harder with who we have. It's like a referendum - keep revisiting the process until you find a chink of light which brings any reason whatsoever to offer these no hopers a go. So far we've obviously not seen anything to offer them a contract which is the only referendum you need. The sooner we tell em to f*** off the better (sorry 82Wall and Dave6666666 - you probably won't like my opinion on this - but it's only my humble opinion and I don't profess to be as learned as you in these matters. My speciality is the law and building successful non- football businesses and floating them on the LSE or AIM)

• July 28, 2015 at 23:09

@T20ColdBlowLion:
      I agree to an extent. But the players that have been on trial recently are only kids. Don't know how thoroughly you read the article but it seemed to me like they were for the development/under 21 squad. What is really annoying me at the moment though is the fact the club have a whole new scouting department and created stupid roles for people like aldo and are trying to convince us that these people know what they are doing. Yet so far weve signed 2 players from gillingham in Joe Martin and Romeo (who came recommended by Andy Frampton) , Tony Craig (which was always going to happen once we went down and harris took over) and we are linked with Steve Morison. So 1 former player, 2 that were recommended by one of our COACHES, not by someone in the recruitment area, and 1 that might be coming but only because him and harris get on and have a lot of respect for eachother. The question has to be asked, why do we need so many people 'working' in the recruitment department if we are going with what we've got(mix of experience and kids)? And if we are looking for players and are seriously trying to bolster the squad, then what the hell are they doing with their time? The funds are there, JB has said this, and we bid half a million for Hanson so it's not rubbish. Harris surely can see we need 2 or 3 more players, so if I was him Id be asking a few questions of these new doughnuts that are 'working night and day' as ambler said, to bring in some new players?

• July 28, 2015 at 15:07

i keep popping back in the hope that a story of us signing
    another ex player as a coach
    I mean Striker

• July 28, 2015 at 15:57

@brooker: The Scoreboard situation is just unbelievable.
          Every Ground I have been too and seen on TV (Includes League 2 & Non-League ) has a scoreboard.
          Just needs the score,clock and running adverts on it.
          Come on JB and stop this embarrassment.

• July 28, 2015 at 16:02

@Longfield Lion: look at it another way longfield..... that score board will also show when we are getting our arses handed to us! maybe JB is holding out until we start scoring regularly to save our embarrassment!!

• July 28, 2015 at 19:01

@brooker: we will get:

Fek all
          Fek all
          Fek all
          Fek all

But I've still paid for 3 season tickets and 3 replica kits.

• July 28, 2015 at 16:23

Nothing changes all I can think is the club are in a more dire situation financially than they are letting on, something is wrong for the club not even to afford repairing the scoreboard let alone sign a forward.

• July 28, 2015 at 16:26

I have an old school blackboard in shed anyone got any chalk ?

• July 28, 2015 at 20:03

Does anyone really know for sure we don't have a new scoreboard !!!! As there's been no games at the den pre- season!!!! NO!!!! Lay off you negative F••kers, let's see all the deleters if we start the season banging in the goals, IMO I believe in NH & want he's trying to do at Millwall, don't rush him into a signing just to put your stupid minds at ease, he can't come out and say he needs a striker before the season starts, what would that do to our young strike force, if it doesn't work he's always got the loan market come Jan!!!! So back off & let him do his job, from what I read here you love him right !!!!!!!!

• July 28, 2015 at 22:17

@sjk1768:sjk well said,we have a group of youngster's who need support as does NH all these knocker's are getting on my nerve's as well.
      If we have to go with the player's we have got ,so be it, for people tokeep moaning is only going to dent these youngster's confidence.We have what we have and that's it.

• July 29, 2015 at 09:03

@sjk1768: I know for sure we don't have a new score board,if we did it would have been the biggest and most exiting article on here all summer.

• July 28, 2015 at 21:52

Sjk1768says

If you think any of our forwards will last the whole season in the 100mph div 1 score more than 11 goals and any one of our midfielders will chip in with 10 goals you are dream inning been following wall for 50 years and this is one of the weakest squads we have had majority unproven and will be out injured most of the time very little back up in any positions we have sold a lot of season tickets on the management coming out and stating they had identified 3 to 4 options in all positions total CRAP wait and see what the clouds are like after 12 games and we are in the bottom 8 I have supported us in div 4 with more optimism than what I can see in this squad I think Harris is a sacrificial lamb and am afraid that after 12 games he will get slaughtered hope I am proven wrong for all our sake but believe that our squad for 2015 is week young and unproven and mugs on here are putting all their hopes in an unproven manager with know wpexperience and a large new back room team the same

• July 28, 2015 at 22:02

Yes more young players all very interesting for the future but how about the season that is fast approaching a couple of weeks back I posted that I didn't want Morrison back at the club because I wrongly believed we had some behind the scenes negotiations going on regarding a striker , right now I would welcome anyone who owns a pair of football boots and has ever shopped at Morrisons .
    Come on Wall the loyal supporters deserve better you have had 3 years to put this right ....... Shocking

• July 28, 2015 at 22:22

I read that we won't get Morrison because he is on 4k a week not sure if he would procuce the goods if he could be bothy to come back even for the money Al, these players are overpaid and over hyped brin back a striker like Alf Woods not the best but 110% and give blood for the team and knock in a few chances

• July 28, 2015 at 22:53

@kell: kell, i would have thought morrison must be on 10k + a week! and as far as i'm concerned would be worth at least 5 to 10k if we got him on a free or nominal fee!. only jackett, after about 20 games, realised morrisons best position and style, on the shoulder of the CH, with balls played over the top or through to his runs. holloway didnt have a clue how to play any of our players least of all morrison. I feel we have a good 'spine' forde, webster/craig, williams/upson/abdou.... but then it ends, morrison for me would make a perfect CF with gregory and fred and paris on the flanks !! (on paper at least).

• July 28, 2015 at 23:07

@kell: But forgot to say i totally agree about Alf Wood, can you imagine the CH's of today coming up against him!! they would s*** themselves!! lol

• July 28, 2015 at 23:39

@rowanonthewing7: Rowan one of the memories i have of Alf Wood,was when he was back defending a corner he cleared a ball into the crowd so hard it nearly knocked some poor fella's head off, right under the old press box,Alf was really upset because he thought he had badly hurt the guy .I never knew what happened to the poor fella,but it must have hurt him.

• July 29, 2015 at 10:07

@jim1222: Alf Wood - what a proper LEGEND.
          You will never see the like of him ever again.
          The bravest,most wholehearted forward I ever saw down at the Den.

• July 28, 2015 at 22:31

Just cheered myself up watching Gary Alexanders Wembley goal again .......hindsight is a wonderful thing but I really think if Kenny was backed financially we would have ended up in the premiership oh well as Lee Scratch Perry sang " one step forward two steps backwards down inna Babylon "

• July 29, 2015 at 03:57