Onyedinma's confidence boosted since return to Millwall

FRED Onyedinma says his loan move has given him the confidence to kick-on this season.

The 18-year-old scored eight goals in 25 games on loan at League Two Wycombe last season and has featured in all three of Lion's pre-season friendlies with only C.D Tondela left to play before August 8.

And the midfielder has been pleased with his contribution to Millwall's pre-season.

"It's been good so far," Onyedinma said. "It's been good to see all the boys again. Pre-season has gone well – it's been pleasing.

"It felt a little like a the old days (in pre-season games) for a few minutes, when Ben Thompson, Jamie Philpott, Jack Powell or Sid Nelson have come on, but it felt natural.

"I've been playing with them for at least two seasons now."

After a successful loan spell at Wycombe, Onyedinma is relishing the chance to fight for a first team place.

And the academy graduate feels his fearless style of play has significantly improved since returning to his parent club.

"I did well in my time at Wycombe and scored a few goals,” Onyedinma explained. “So coming back here has given me a lot of confidence and hopefully I'll get into the team.

"I think time on loan has helped me massively. I've gained a lot of confidence in my game.

“I like to run at players, what's the worst that can happen?

“If you lose the ball, it's only going to go out for a throw in or something.

“Running at players is a part of my game. I hope I can keep doing that and get more of an end product out of it.

“I always play like that and now it's a fresh start for everyone. I'm just trying to do what I can to put in good performances and play.”

Onyedinma was one of a plethora of youngsters to come into the first team from the academy.

And the midfielder says it feels natural to be playing alongside so many familiar faces.

The 18-year-old also feels the senior players are a big reason in new found confidence since being back, but he won’t get too carried away at his pre-season form.

“They're all motivating,” Onyedinma said. “That makes you want to do well and improve your game.

"They give you advice when you need it and it helps you get better.

“It's all down to the manager to play who he wants to play. Everyone is minutes so far and it's down to what he wants to play

“I'm looking to hopefully start or get on and play as much as I can next season.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

35 thoughts on “Onyedinma's confidence boosted since return to Millwall

• July 27, 2015 at 12:08

One thing i do hope fred stop's doing is too many step over's when trying to beat a man,one step over is ok but every step over after that give's the opp defence time to organise better,how many time's have we seen L. Martin do 3 or 4 step over's then have no where to go or any one to pass to because opp defence has readjusted and won the ball,so please fred use your pace.
    I can see Fred doing really well for us this season.

• July 27, 2015 at 13:37

@jim1222: I wish I could say I've seen him play. But I remember Ifil use to ball-hog in his early days. Used to take 1 player too many on. He didn't deserve the abuse from the touchlines and luckily he had the courage to ignore it and turned into a great and not at all greedy player.

Does feel like an early-2000s moment. We'll be back up after a few seasons and this is just the start. Those going on about strikers, we cannot afford one. And does my memory serve me correctly, early 2000s didn't we have loads of goals coming from midfield?

• July 27, 2015 at 14:00

@jim1222: when did u see Martin do step overs. More like fell over the step & injured himself lol

• July 27, 2015 at 16:31

@block 28: i can truthfully say i have never seen martin do step overs..or perhaps i had my eyes closed..like i often did when he got the ball..
        block i think PP1 is trying to get us at it

• July 27, 2015 at 22:29

@jim1222: Ronaldo used to get stick about too many step overs....

• July 28, 2015 at 00:57

@JONO: Yes you are correct JONO,but look what he achieved when he stopped doing them every time he got the ball,step over's used sparingly are a useful tool for a footballer,use them to often and he lose's the sense of surprise and he allow's the defender's to get back into their defensive shape.Player's like fred have a gift in their pace and control,so why ruin it by doing 3 or 4 stepover's and slow their momentem down.
        Now i will ask a question of all those people who gave me all those dislike's,in the last four year's name me one time that a player who did 3or 4 stepover's in trying to beat his man have any end product either at Millwall or on the box? I have seen end product from a player doing 1 stepover,but when it get's to 3 or 4 the element of surprise has gone.

• July 27, 2015 at 12:22

Have we signed a Striker/goal-scorer yet ???

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.