Onyedinma's confidence boosted since return to Millwall

FRED Onyedinma says his loan move has given him the confidence to kick-on this season.

The 18-year-old scored eight goals in 25 games on loan at League Two Wycombe last season and has featured in all three of Lion's pre-season friendlies with only C.D Tondela left to play before August 8.

And the midfielder has been pleased with his contribution to Millwall's pre-season.

"It's been good so far," Onyedinma said. "It's been good to see all the boys again. Pre-season has gone well – it's been pleasing.

"It felt a little like a the old days (in pre-season games) for a few minutes, when Ben Thompson, Jamie Philpott, Jack Powell or Sid Nelson have come on, but it felt natural.

"I've been playing with them for at least two seasons now."

After a successful loan spell at Wycombe, Onyedinma is relishing the chance to fight for a first team place.

And the academy graduate feels his fearless style of play has significantly improved since returning to his parent club.

"I did well in my time at Wycombe and scored a few goals,” Onyedinma explained. “So coming back here has given me a lot of confidence and hopefully I'll get into the team.

"I think time on loan has helped me massively. I've gained a lot of confidence in my game.

“I like to run at players, what's the worst that can happen?

“If you lose the ball, it's only going to go out for a throw in or something.

“Running at players is a part of my game. I hope I can keep doing that and get more of an end product out of it.

“I always play like that and now it's a fresh start for everyone. I'm just trying to do what I can to put in good performances and play.”

Onyedinma was one of a plethora of youngsters to come into the first team from the academy.

And the midfielder says it feels natural to be playing alongside so many familiar faces.

The 18-year-old also feels the senior players are a big reason in new found confidence since being back, but he won’t get too carried away at his pre-season form.

“They're all motivating,” Onyedinma said. “That makes you want to do well and improve your game.

"They give you advice when you need it and it helps you get better.

“It's all down to the manager to play who he wants to play. Everyone is minutes so far and it's down to what he wants to play

“I'm looking to hopefully start or get on and play as much as I can next season.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

35 thoughts on “Onyedinma's confidence boosted since return to Millwall

• July 27, 2015 at 12:08

One thing i do hope fred stop's doing is too many step over's when trying to beat a man,one step over is ok but every step over after that give's the opp defence time to organise better,how many time's have we seen L. Martin do 3 or 4 step over's then have no where to go or any one to pass to because opp defence has readjusted and won the ball,so please fred use your pace.
    I can see Fred doing really well for us this season.

• July 27, 2015 at 13:37

@jim1222: I wish I could say I've seen him play. But I remember Ifil use to ball-hog in his early days. Used to take 1 player too many on. He didn't deserve the abuse from the touchlines and luckily he had the courage to ignore it and turned into a great and not at all greedy player.

Does feel like an early-2000s moment. We'll be back up after a few seasons and this is just the start. Those going on about strikers, we cannot afford one. And does my memory serve me correctly, early 2000s didn't we have loads of goals coming from midfield?

• July 27, 2015 at 14:00

@jim1222: when did u see Martin do step overs. More like fell over the step & injured himself lol

• July 27, 2015 at 16:31

@block 28: i can truthfully say i have never seen martin do step overs..or perhaps i had my eyes closed..like i often did when he got the ball..
        block i think PP1 is trying to get us at it

• July 28, 2015 at 00:57

@JONO: Yes you are correct JONO,but look what he achieved when he stopped doing them every time he got the ball,step over's used sparingly are a useful tool for a footballer,use them to often and he lose's the sense of surprise and he allow's the defender's to get back into their defensive shape.Player's like fred have a gift in their pace and control,so why ruin it by doing 3 or 4 stepover's and slow their momentem down.
        Now i will ask a question of all those people who gave me all those dislike's,in the last four year's name me one time that a player who did 3or 4 stepover's in trying to beat his man have any end product either at Millwall or on the box? I have seen end product from a player doing 1 stepover,but when it get's to 3 or 4 the element of surprise has gone.

• July 27, 2015 at 12:22

Have we signed a Striker/goal-scorer yet ???

• July 27, 2015 at 12:25

See if you can find a striker here. These are players out of contract, not easy.
    You can then look at the players with contracts ending within 1 year, very expensive option.

• July 27, 2015 at 20:37

i like the sound of Dudu...at least if he turns out to be plop, we can sing Dudu by name, Dudu by nature

• July 27, 2015 at 12:31

Anyone know anything about Nathan Abayomi Delfouneso?

• July 27, 2015 at 12:42

@Longfield Lion: Just looking at who is available out of contract and plays CF. No other reason, been looking on the website I posted earlier. Not much around by the looks of it for our budget.

• July 27, 2015 at 14:22

@Longfield Lion: when he was at villa he was ok coz he was with a decent team young and Milner was there when he was there so he had assist 2 help him but when he went Blackpool he just went down hill from there but he could be a good player 4 us with fred a.o.b greggs Powell and so on so he will get the service anyway can't wait 2 see us kick ass COYL

• July 27, 2015 at 12:48

@beedoscores: Been on Loan at 3 Clubs over the past couple of years and scored just 4 goals in over 40 games ?
        Bit of a journeyman by the looks of it ............. oh wait a minute !

• July 27, 2015 at 22:24

@Longfield Lion: 4 goals in 40 games? Scored more than the Hoff, Morrison & McDonald did last year... Sign him!!!

• July 27, 2015 at 12:53

@beedoscores: I remember watching his Premier league debut on match of the day when he scored a hat trick for Newcastle against West Ham in 2011
        legend already in my book lol

• July 27, 2015 at 15:09

@beedoscores: he will be a good sighing he got strength and he can head the ball he would get aleast 15 goals in this league how much is he wage doe that the question COYL NOLU, WDC

• July 27, 2015 at 20:39

Nah, he averages 1 goal every 5.8 games...plop

• July 27, 2015 at 14:27

Fred u are our future great prospect great talent can't wait 2 see our beloved MILLWALL play with all there heart and soul COYL NOLU, WDC

• July 27, 2015 at 16:13

Looking forward to seeing the finished article with Fred great prospect with all the other youngsters coming through. Few more seasons hopefully a Millwall squad we can be proud of

• July 27, 2015 at 16:52

Any of you going to the open training session on Thursday

• July 27, 2015 at 18:45

Could of got mackail-smith, free agent,been training with Luton,is said to be saying yes or no to a deal with them today

• July 27, 2015 at 19:09

I have a bet with my mate that we sign a striker by the start of the season. We didn't even agree how good he needs to be, he just has to be a striker. FFS I can't believe I'm going to lose the bet. This is the least confident I've been about the start of a season for years. The good news is the last time I felt this low about Millwall was when George Graham left and look how that ended up. LOL.

• July 27, 2015 at 19:53

The kid is raw that makes him more exciting because he will have no fear done well at Wycombe didn't get as many games towards the end of his loan but still a player in the making good luck this season Fred stay fit

• July 27, 2015 at 20:58

Newsnow says we are putting a bid in to Leeds for Morro, looks like it will happen

• July 28, 2015 at 00:34

@JONO:
      Not anymore it would seem lol. The comment has magically vanished! Any good writer (which im not by the way) should check over their work before submitting it, otherwise it just looks amateurish and abit slap bang wallop. You get taught that in school ffs! Having said that, I appreciate the efforts that go into making this site run, we wouldn't hear as much news if we didn't have NAD.

• July 28, 2015 at 00:22

We are all behind you Fred, - do us proud son

• July 28, 2015 at 10:01