Millwall manager Harris wants better set pieces next season

NEIL Harris is aiming for better set piece execution from his side next season.

Mark Beevers scored from a free kick taken by Jack Powell in the win against Stevenage on Saturday, a week on from Sid Nelson scoring for the Lions from a corner routine in the draw against Wimbledon.

In recent years Millwall sides have largely been unable to capitalise on dead ball situations.

And Harris wants more goals to come from set pieces after two in two pre-season games.

“We need to be better with set pieces this year.” Harris said.

“We need to have better delivery to people in the box but we need to have desire to want to score a goal.

“I think at times the ball will go into the box and some players really have to have the mental strength to think the ball is coming to them.

“I've spoke to the players about that a lot and it's something we will continue to work on leading up to the start of the season.”

Harris added: “I think so many goals can be scored from set plays.

“Every time you get the ball in those areas, you put the ball in the box.

“It's a free cross at goal and a chance to make the first contact to head the ball in the net.

“Size helps but it's more about movement and desire.

“I was never the biggest or the quickest but I used to head the ball a lot inside the penalty area at set pieces.

"I used to read where the ball was going to go and because I wanted to header it. So I'm asking my players to do exactly the same.”

Goalscorer Beevers played at left back for the 73 minutes he was on the pitch at the Lamex Stadium.

And Harris said by having a smaller squad, he needs to have a look at players playing in different positions.

The Lions boss said: “I wanted to have a look at him in that position.

“He's an experienced Championship player who's played at left back for Sheffield Wednesday and for Millwall in that division.

“It was an opportunity to get him in the team and have a look at him in that position.

“We're not a big squad so we're looking at players who can play where needed.

“I thought Beevers was outstanding today, and he scored the winning goal.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

17 thoughts on “Millwall manager Harris wants better set pieces next season

• July 27, 2015 at 09:33

Defending set pieces is just as important, last season our defending at set pieces was shocking at times.

• July 27, 2015 at 09:53

We been missing somebody who can have that uncanny knack of timing to get up and head the ball into the net from set pieces/corners almost prolifically since Tim Cahill left. We also haven't had somebody who could score from free kicks and whip accurate balls into the box since James Henry also left... Although Powell could be the answer to that.

• July 27, 2015 at 10:07

We didn't have a decent free kick taker in past years but I think that Jack Powell could be are man, and I heard that Joe Martin is decent at it as well

• July 27, 2015 at 11:10

@ClarkeyMFC: was jack Powell free kick that lead to the goal Saturday I think he we be class in time

• July 27, 2015 at 10:20

Well Shaun Williams came in with a reputation as a dead ball specialist! Personally I think the priority needs to be scoring from open play - because right now we just can't!! Then we'll worry about Corners and free kicks....

• July 27, 2015 at 11:31

@TheBermondseyBomber: not sure I agree Bomber, set plays are so important now days. I asked on another post how many goals did we score from corners last year, as I always thought that we were not going to score from one, there never seemed to be any idea where the ball was going certainly no 'trick' routine just throw it into the mix. I can remember, I think a Burnley, routine from a corner where they pulled it across the edge of the box someone dummied over the ball and they scored with someone running in on to it. I saw them use the same routine on the box a number of times and it worked at least on three ocassions so possibly worth say three or four points.

• July 27, 2015 at 10:56

Although i realise there are 'specialists' on the field, we are talking about knocking a football into the box, and someone trying to head or get onto the knockdowns to score a goal !!!!! FFS. these blokes train every day, and Harris has to explain to them how to deliver a ball into the box and about the desire to get on the end of it !!!!! i give up ! sorry everyone i am officially a grumpy old man !

• July 27, 2015 at 11:15

We had so many corners I lost count on Saturday didn't convert any so can se why Harris wants better dead ball takers.

• July 27, 2015 at 11:30

The last time I remember us scoring a free kick was Lowry's stunner at Charlton and was 2 years ago, something's got to change

• July 27, 2015 at 12:17

I can recall one set piece when powell rolled a free kick across the box and Mcdonald put the ball into the net,but alas under coco when we did something good we never saw it repeated,just as when a youngster had a good game we never saw that player again for some time.
    All i hope is NH play's player's that are doing it on match day,and not because a player had a good training session as coco seemed to do.

• July 27, 2015 at 14:38

We trust in bomber COYL better defending this season what to see our goal difference 2 be plus no minus this campaign NOLU, WDC

• July 28, 2015 at 00:17

Yes we trust in Bomber coz he's a legend of our beloved club. But he is as inexperienced in management as some of our kids are as players. Is no one slightly concerned by this small matter - love and respect him as we do? If Bomber wasn't appointed as our manager would another club have taken a gamble on him? Still no striker signed either as we continue to do things on the cheap after holloway's debacle. Not Bomber's fault but be realistic about our chances for the coming season with a very inexperienced manager, 3 or 4 kids in the side who will hopefully develop well but unproven at any level and no proven striker nor any realistic likelihood of getting one and every team out to kill us. I know that pre-season friendlies count for little in terms if what you should expect when the real games start coming thick and fast, but think there are too many teams in league 1 going in to the new season far better prepared than us for the campaign ahead on parts of the pitch where it matters. I can see us dominating possession but scoring very few husks and letting in too many from set plays to gather the points needed to be competing at the right end. I've always looked at it like this: Millwall never lose we just run out if time. I just see us running out of time too offer with our lack of goal scoring power. Hope I'm wrong