Harris pleased with Millwall performance in Stevenage win

NEIL Harris was delighted with his side's performance after securing a victory against Stevenage.

Mark Beevers scored the only goal of the game as he headed home a Jack Powell free-kick with 62 minutes on the clock at the Lamex Stadium.

And Harris praised his side and their dominant display, despite admitting on another day, more goals should have been scored.

"To get a win that was thoroughly deserved today was great," Harris said.

"If I was being critical, on a more clinical day, we would have had five or six goals.

"It's nice to win, it gives us confidence. I've spoken to the players about having a winning mentality.

"I've certainly been bringing that into training, and bringing in a competitive edge into training, too.

"There's a fine line between being sensible and going over the top. I'm trying to coach that into the boys at the moment."

In what was a totally dominant display, the Lions boss was pleased his side were able to control the game and dictate the tempo.

And Harris was happy to get a first win of pre-season after two consecutive draws.

"I think we certainly dictated the tempo," Harris said. "The players dictated the pattern of play,"

"I think we are fortunate and we feel we have a competitive squad with some real quality in it.

"We should have beaten Bromley, apart from Tony's own goal in the last minute.

"Against Wimbledon we were the much better team against a much different style of play."

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

53 thoughts on “Harris pleased with Millwall performance in Stevenage win

• July 25, 2015 at 19:06

I think that is the crux of the matter. We need to be more clinical in front of goal. WE NEED A STRIKER.

• July 25, 2015 at 19:15

would have been today if we had a decent striker mukka!!

• July 25, 2015 at 19:32

were playing against s*** teams and still strugging~?

• July 25, 2015 at 20:34

@millwallmark:
      For the 100th time. Friendlies mean nothing. Barnet beat mk Dons today, Chesterfield beat burnley, Mansfield drew with Leicester, Rochdale beat Huddersfield, burton beat birmingham, Walsall drew with Aston villa..... Give it a rest ffs and wait till the REAL football kicks off.

• July 26, 2015 at 04:23

@82wall: I agree preseason results mean nothing. I remember when we played well and drew 0-0 preseason against Liverpool when they were title challengers with Collymore & Co. I'm sure we went down to league 1 that season. Means nothing. Glad they dominated which is a sign they are starting to find a decent rythym. Let's hope we get off to a good start would make a massive difference.

• July 26, 2015 at 18:39

@JONO: i remeber that too, was my first millwall game as a kid! Barnes missed a sitter from right infront of the goal lol

• July 26, 2015 at 10:47

@82wall: i've.stopped going to friendlies years ago..waste of time..some players have just come back from injury others still not up to full fitness..so you wont see the same intentsity as you would come shrewsbury away

• July 25, 2015 at 20:00

We all know we need a striker but it is not going to happen,so lets forget about who is coming in and concentrate on what we have got. We all moan but still support the best team in London,so shut up and get on with it.

• July 25, 2015 at 20:02

Come on Harris, we all want to see you holding the trophy at Gills next to a goal scoring striker

• July 25, 2015 at 20:13

These are only training sessions so not two bothered about how many goals we score. But one player always stands out Powell delivery of the ball has gone to another level & greggs movement will when fit get us a bucket load of goals. C all u boys at Shrewsbury coyl.

• July 26, 2015 at 12:00

@block 28: I agree, friendly games are there for the purpose of getting players as close to match fitness as poss, we shouldn't be moaning about lack of anything in these games, we haven't lost any & have been playing well, this team is a work in progress, anything above mid table would be a result for us at mom ( of course I'd wish for more ) but I'm being realistic

• July 26, 2015 at 08:01

@LETEMCOME: that's it let em, I enjoy the battle. We win, we lose but in the end we always win. Better than supporting any other poxy mob of shitbags.

• July 26, 2015 at 18:37

@LETEMCOME: why would 4 people dislike someone saying they love Millwall? I give up on this site until they get rid of the dislike button, it just winds me up!!

• July 27, 2015 at 18:31

@JONO: Could not give a F**** about dislikes,its either non WALL or muppets.

• July 25, 2015 at 20:34

Why is every one on here saying we just need a striker? What about a goal scoring midfielder,Abdou,Williams and Martin have a dire record last season,

• July 25, 2015 at 20:48

@The Roar: I agree , our midfield has no goals in it at all , we all know it , just hope Bomber knows it too .

• July 25, 2015 at 21:55

@The Roar: once the season kicks off and we start to struggle for goals all those hitting the dislike button will be saying, ' Where are the goals gonna come from ?

• July 26, 2015 at 09:12

@The Roar: ed Upson will score goals, we just need to pick a formation that allows him to get forward.

• July 26, 2015 at 18:40

@The Roar: 5 dislikes for someone taking sense saying it would be nice to have a scoring midfielder? NAD you sure we have not got imposters from Wet Spam or Palarse just visiting this site to hit the dislike button?

• July 25, 2015 at 21:35

Unless I'm wrong we haven't had a foward score throughout pre-season and if I'm wrong they've not been prolific which means the signs are there for more rubbish. We had a good pre-season last year despite police intervention" look what happened

• July 25, 2015 at 22:23

A striker a striker my kingdom for a striker ! I think N.H. knows we need a striker but they don't grow on trees so we have to be patient and not rush into buying and paying over the top better to wait a bit longer and hopefully get the right man for the job than to panic buy and end up with a bad buy.

• July 25, 2015 at 22:41

Harris is slowly changing are team will take time

• July 26, 2015 at 12:16

Don't panic don't panic C.P.T.N. Mannering. I think the home guard played a football match in one of the episodes and corporal Jones scored a goal is he still knocking about? perhaps we could get him on loan until we fill the gap, the opposition won't like it when they get it up em from corporal Jones's will they? have to bare one thing in mind tho, it was an own goal. ;)

• July 26, 2015 at 12:44

Do they still allow the use of bayonets on the pitch these days? it's been a while since I went to a game, I know they banned them on the terraces a while back. because all the metal interfered with the radar systems ;)

• July 26, 2015 at 12:57

New song.
    South of the river down cold blow lane way, that's where I fell in love when the boys in blue came out to play, and now as I wander my thoughts ever stray, south of the river down cold blow lane way, aye aye aye ayeee, aye aye aye ayeee aye aye aye ayeee, aye aye aye ayeee.
    you could substitute cold blow lane for Senegal if you want, depending on your age I guess.

• July 26, 2015 at 16:20

@john H: You could just substitute the whole song and just sing something else.

• July 26, 2015 at 19:59

@LETEMCOME: ok how about rekindling an old favorite? they ask me how I knew Fenton was a ----- sorry can't print the rest authorities have no SOH they'll be after me for being late on parade or something.

• July 26, 2015 at 19:49

@john H: how about no one likes it I don't care it's great song it's a super song etc ;)

• July 26, 2015 at 19:54

@bordersarebest0170: Thanks for that mate, n I was wondering if I got the spelling right. nice to know that someone is paying attention ;)

• July 26, 2015 at 17:36

With just under two weeks until the season starts,where do you all think we will finish in the league. What are our realistic expectations.

• July 26, 2015 at 18:01

@LETEMCOME: When you think about,we got rid of 18 players at the end of the season,we have brought in only 2 at the moment so the rest are going to made up of youth some of which have not played league football.So if we do go up we would struggle the following season.Our best bet would be to blood the youth in and make a good charge for the following season .

• July 26, 2015 at 18:45

@LETEMCOME: agree with Colin blood the youth with some experiecned players, create a team who work for and know each other's play. If we finish top half I will be happy considering the size of our squad. Next season once the players gain experience we will hopefully push for promotion.

• July 26, 2015 at 19:50

I think we are capable of promotion and that is what we should be aiming for. We still have existing experience in the team. With one or two more new additions we can at least make the play offs.

• July 26, 2015 at 20:49

@dan: oh please get real!

What gives you this belief??

If this is the thought process by some of our fans then we must have some pretty deluded ppl in our club.

We will get turned over by a lot of teams this season and will be lucky to finish above the relegation zone!

How the f*** can ppl be thinking we're going to get promotion like its a certainty!

Must be having a wind up! We will be down there for a few seasons plus if we did go straight bk up (which we won't) we would come straight bk down again! It takes a few seasons to become challengers seriously.

• July 26, 2015 at 21:25

@millwalltel: I'm sorry but I don't agree with you. On paper we will still have as good a team as any with the exception of perhaps a handful of clubs at most. We will still get some additions in and the blend of experience and youth we will have will bode well. I certain don't see us struggling as you suggest. I'm not saying we will go up with ease of even automatically but we can make the play offs. Perhaps I am just being overly optimistic to some on here but I genuinely think we can have a promising season. I think who we sign over the next week if so could define the season we have.

• July 26, 2015 at 21:35

Probably get insulted profusely for daring to sound anything but blindly positive like a lot of pious c**** I'm here, but I can't honestly see us doing anything but struggling to compete physically in this demanding league for this coming season. Far too much expectation and reliance on the young ones. Too many too quickly and without a single proven or reliable striker - I see us picking up injury after injury as the seasoned pros in league 1 clatter into our frail youngsters and injury prone lads like PCH. If we finish in the top half it'll be a decent season and better than I expect to happen but obviously less than I hope. Love my football club, wouldn't follow anyone else for anything but I am disappointed with the team bomber has so far assembled as regards being serious promotion hopefuls or a team to get excited about. But they're my team and I'll keep turning up nevertheless but I am entitled to have a f***** moan if and when I want for my £5,000 a year I pay for me and 2 of my kids to follow the 'Wall

• July 26, 2015 at 22:37

I can understand people's concerns over the coming season, especially after the last two years of what we've had to put up with, but I cant agree with this team full of kids line that keeps coming out. Just having a quick look through the squad I can see seven or eight players straightaway who have been integral parts of promotion winning teams before, take the defence, if Forde stays and if Webster takes preference over Sid that leaves TC,Cummings and Martin as the first choice defence, all well experienced enough in L1, that's not a bad back line to start with IMO.

Add on the midfield with Williams, Upson , Jimmi and Lee Martin that's even more well seasoned players vying for a starting berth. Our problems will be if we pick up injuries in certain key areas-on the wings for example, especially PCH and L Martin being as fragile as they are. As for the striking positions I'm fully expecting some movement this week, there simply has to be, we are desperately short up front and to start the season as we are would be asking for trouble. We put all our eggs in one basket with Hanson, I think Ambler is to blame for that-he was obviously strung along by some of the Bradford board who wanted to cash in until Parkinson got wind and put the mockers on it. Now we've been caught out and I just hope we can find that target man the team is screaming out for- less than two weeks til kick off and time is running out.....

• July 26, 2015 at 23:10

@Still_Wall: totally agree with your post hence my previous message saying that we do already have experience in the team. I also agree they should we have injuries then we could and probsbly will have problems.

• July 26, 2015 at 23:55

@dan:
        Yeah definitely, I think a lot of people are nervous cos we released 18 players, but don't forget our squad was bloated beyond belief last year, we used 40 odd players during the season-that's just madness, also it's interesting to note that only a few of them shown the door have managed to find another club, speaks for itself really.
        The squad now has a leaner fresher look to it and a settled team will go a long way to restoring confidence throughout the club, we just need strengthening up front and a left sided pacy winger and we should be able to at least hold our own this season while the team develops into a strong unit for the future. That's my theory anyway, but then again this is 'Wall we're talking about, and as we know it's never quite as simple as that as far as we are concerned!!

• July 27, 2015 at 06:09

@Still_Wall: the key is keeping them fit but as you and every other supporter knows at our club it isn't going to happen! Mid table finish will take that at this point. 2 strikers and replacements for Martin and Paris because between them be lucky if they make 10 games!

• July 27, 2015 at 09:03

For all of you worried about PCH and his fitness levels - we were level with the half way line on Saturday and he put 2 block tackles in on a player that made me wince ! Alex Rae would have been proud of them ! so fingers crossed. Darren Ward was sitting behind us and looks like he could still do a job. On another note Sean Williams didn't look too committed in the tackle which was a worry. The boys looked good and mid table should be no problem Ben Thompson also deserves a special mention as does Jordan Archer who was more vocal than Fordey.

• July 27, 2015 at 10:27

I don't think anyone is sagging off the team because of the results in pre-season. I think it's because we still haven't found a decent striker with the necessary nous in and around the box. There are strikers out there and frankly it won't cost the earth. The scouting system needs a proper overhaul particularly after MH's departure. We'll find the right player eventually, I'm convinced of it.

• July 27, 2015 at 10:40

About time the Yank put his hand in hi pocket otherwise we wont survive in this division long.

• July 27, 2015 at 10:47

@baz2262: he has recently put his hand in his pocket to the tune of 8.4 million....