Millwall manager Harris reiterates intention to sign striker

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MILLWALL manager Neil Harris has reiterated his intention to sign another striker ahead of the new season.

The Lions kick-off their League One campaign away to Shrewsbury on August 8 with only Lee Gregory and John Marquis as the two most senior forwards fit.

Aidan O'Brien was stretchered off in Saturday's draw with Wimbledon and scans revealed the 21-year-old is set to miss all of August with ruptured ankle ligaments.

And Harris knows he needs another front man, with O'Brien injury beaming a bright spotlight down on the situation.

“We are looking to get someone in” Harris told the News. “I think that's clear.

“Everybody has been asking me about it and I have not been shy in admitting we need another striker. I’d ideally have like someone in yesterday!

“Aiden’s injury has now highlighted that we need someone else.

“I'm not going to be bullied or rushed in taking someone for the sake of it. It Is about getting the right player to benefit us.

“We're making inroads, working really hard to find the right player. We will keep pushing that.

59 thoughts on “Millwall manager Harris reiterates intention to sign striker

• July 23, 2015 at 12:17

are we allowed to play one of the Lionesses

• July 23, 2015 at 12:21

Hugo Almeida(Free agent)
    Only 30, the 6ft 3in striker possesses the strength to make it as a target man in the Premier League and scored a handy 15 goals in the Turkish Premier League last season.
    Go get 'im Bomber

• July 23, 2015 at 12:24

ask that bloke behind you with the beard, he'll do

• July 23, 2015 at 12:25

“It would be nice to have something done this week but, if I have to wait another week then so be it.”... Could mean we waiting on Morro to get back and then have a sit down and a little chat about potentially signing... but is one more striker now enough? We needed one before AoB injury.

• July 23, 2015 at 12:27

Forgive me if I am missing something but haven't we "revampted" our "Recruitement Department" recently? Surely they should have people lined up for the manager. I am all for a quality rather than quantity policy but again we are approaching the start of the season seemingly unable to sign players in a position that has needed sorting for the last 4 seasons

• July 23, 2015 at 12:35

@Tony Martin: Last 4 seasons.... this has always been a problem, it is very rare we ever sign a striker who proves to be any good and can score 20 goals a season or a pair of players who score 15 goals a piece!! I think Gregory can get us 15 this season as long as he stays fit, but he needs a proven partner in this league because he like any player will have a blip.... that's when we need someone else to step up and score!

• July 23, 2015 at 13:16

@Bradders:

gregs will get 20 if he stays fit (5 will be pens if he continues to take them )

• July 23, 2015 at 12:38

We need to spend money !
    If JB can write off a 8.4 Million debt/interest (or whatever it is) can he not finance a deal for real money.
    Just no more journeyman oldies please.

• July 23, 2015 at 12:47

@Longfield Lion: Its been mentioned already but the only striker I can think of that fits the bill is - Matt Smith.
      Got the height,as he showed with Bristol City can cause problems in this League AND score goals.

• July 23, 2015 at 12:57

@bradders: I was being kind with 4 years!! Otherwise agree. I think there are signs of promise with Gregory but IMO he is far from the finished article and it would be unfair to put too much pressure on the youngsters although that is one area that the club now seems to be getting right

• July 23, 2015 at 13:15

@Tony Martin: that ship has long since sailed Longfield, he would've been ideal but we seemed to drag our feet & missed out?

• July 23, 2015 at 13:04

Rob Hulse anyone, don't worry I'm getting my coat as we speak lol!!

• July 23, 2015 at 13:18

from what harris has said it sounds like we will scrap away from home - keep it tight and try to nick it one-nil and play more open football at home so perhaps we need different types of strikers for home and away

• July 23, 2015 at 13:23

If we can't sign someone we really want I would prefer a loan player in the interim.lets not panic again and sign another Ricardo Fuller on a permanent deal

• July 23, 2015 at 13:26

How about Hugo (The Hatchet) Remansio? South American centre forward, no special agent, good with contacts, prefers cash, related to large family cartel which can be very persuasive. Would certainly intimidate opponents. Can guarantee points and promotion as family friend of Sep Matter (not sure of spelling if you know what I mean!)

• July 23, 2015 at 13:45

Swansea looking to off load forgotten man Michu - there you go, how about a loan deal!!

• July 23, 2015 at 14:45

Can anyone else see the Hoff coming back?

• July 23, 2015 at 14:47

I would love to know if Neil tried to bring in Craig Davies, Leon Clarke, David Mooney, Barry Corr who all went on free transfers or Will Grigg who cost wigan approx. 300k.
    Would Neil like Matt Smith from foolham and would JB agree to pay a transfer fee and his wages....

• July 23, 2015 at 14:47

Know need to worry, if there is an old fat has been who hasn't scored in 10 years and suffers from osteoporosis well will have him in before the window shuts.

• July 23, 2015 at 15:25

Things could be a lot worse. If Holloway was still in charge he would already have signed three unfit strikers at the end of their careers to sit on the bench for the season. Although it is frustrating, I am encouraged by the fact that Harris it taking his time to get the right players for the club. Even if we have to wait till transfer deadline day I would prefer that to signing another shed load of wasters (as Lomas did).
    I don't think it is necessarily about a lack of cash. We had a bid accepted for the guy at Bradford and he decided himself stay there.
    I am sure this is the right approach in the long run. Patience is the key

• July 23, 2015 at 15:33

How often do we say we are signing rubbish? Nice to know we are not rushing into a deal just for the sake of it. Funds are available, the Hanson 'no deal' proves that, Neil and the club are aware we need some one/two much better to wait and get the right player than wish throughout the season we had not got the wrong one.

• July 23, 2015 at 16:12

• July 23, 2015 at 16:13

Darius Henderson is a free agent, he can do a job!..signing Steve Morrison would have been a bad decision last time he played for us he was absolutely shocking every game!! Bad attitude and no legs! Not the type of attitude we're trying to install at millwall to our young players.

• July 23, 2015 at 16:24

Hi a bit late we should have signed a striker at the end of the season cheers

• July 23, 2015 at 16:51

I do hope that some of the new scouts and personal at the club have a better network or inside info of players who could possibly help us this season , but im starting to think some of the changes may just be purely cosmetic as im not seeing us being linked with anyone who would make me think otherwise

• July 23, 2015 at 16:54

Darius Henderson was injured a lot last season, I think he's past it now.

Would like to see a young loan player from PL. I think with one more striker in the squad, Pavey/Philpot can be used when needed as 4th option and we should be ok.

Greggers I'd back to score 20+ goals. Marquis/O'Brien should be good for 10/15. Hopefully PCH/Fred and one or 2 others can chip in a few too. Plus the mighty TC at set pieces.

• July 23, 2015 at 18:54

Blooming 'ell, Charlton and Brentford are signing top quality foreign players, left, right and centre. With not a parachute payment in sight!? Some chairmen ain't afraid to splash the cash. I heard we got a new Spanish tea lady. #depressed

• July 24, 2015 at 10:43

@WestKentLion: SILVER LINING if they are buying foreigners, Millwall have a better chance of signing young london kids

• July 23, 2015 at 20:08

Seriously who in their right mind would sign for us? Two minutes looking at this site, and they would wonder what the hell they are walking into!!! Hanson probably looked at the posts and thought f**k that! Everyone says IMO!!! You are supporters! You know f*** all, if you did you would be at the den making real decsions not making a cock of yourself saying we could sign him for a million and he would re pay off interest in the year!!! The interest on a mill I know I can't coverit !!! anyone else can? Let NH and the people who have a clue about running a loss making business get us out of it! Unless any of you have got the money to take over? Just get behind the manager (our legend), our promising youngsters(possible legends) and look forward to a season that might just surprise us all! It just might work!!! COYL Millwall til I die

• July 23, 2015 at 20:43

@costalion: Actually the yearly interest on a million is in relative terms about two old buttons, a dead rat and a season ticket for crippled alice (in descending order of desirability). It's the principal, the salary and the other existing costs that would be the problem.

• July 23, 2015 at 22:15

@The Humble One: sh*t mine cos even at 0.5 per cent thats 40k, so if you can give that to the club at least we'll have a score board!!! Thanks humbleOne your a real star for your generosity! Just send the check quickly as first home game is only 3 weeks away!

• July 24, 2015 at 08:57

@costalion:
          Well actually .5% of a million is only £5k.
          But either way - yes I could send a cheque but then I'm not a director or shareholder. Plus I don't much care about the scoreboard cos I can't see it properly from my position in the East Stand.

• July 23, 2015 at 22:51

At this point we need to remember that this manager is a millwall legend, because it looks to me he's being dealt a truly shitt hand, he's gonna need our support i reckon.

• July 24, 2015 at 01:03

No more b*******! Real bids real players real money. We need to strengthen the squad and we need a forward badly.

• July 24, 2015 at 06:17

Going to be a long hard struggle, let's get real ppl! Not sure Greg's and marquis will get 20 goals between them let alone on themselves! Martin and Paris will miss more games than play due to being made of glass. Think we should of shipped these 2 out as well. Needed players who play not spend more time in the injury room. I can see it already, the ppl saying we're going to do well will be on the teams back by Christmas when were in the bottom half. Really sure we're going to struggle, it's going to be another long hard season.

For the life of me don't know what our scouts do!! What happened to the days where they go to watch lower league sides on a weekend and un earth a gem?? They are there but f*** knows how northern teams pick up players in our own back yard. It's not just the players who have gotta pull their fingers out but the bacroom staff and more so the so called scouting network we have!

We can't even pay for a poxy scoreboard! Sums it up really! I blame hollohead but most of all I blame Andy ambler he oversee these last 2 p***** coming in as the yank hasn't a clue what's what. Jb should be offloading aa because he's the culprit in all of this! We're in an absolute mess, 2 strikers should've been a priority but millwall being millwall have f***** it up royally! Same old s*** with us! Gregory, o brien n marquis are not the answer!

• July 24, 2015 at 08:31

As we know this decline has been years in the making, to me it started with the Claridge fiasco or Ben possibly the non investment after the Cup Final.
    Jackett managed to get some good players in but the club never built on the success, I could not begin to list the transfer targets we missed (assuming we were ever serious about them) and once we went from young loans to a succession of has beens or never was parasites, the writing was on the wall.

We can blame Holloway, Ambler etc. but Berylson is a successful businessman and of course should know what works to bring that to football, he has been badly advised and wasted millions and we are almost where we were when he arrived!

So he now has a choice , does he invest some more or does he walk away?
    If he doesn't invest he might as well, the club has little more than nominal value and it must be falling by the day.

Good luck to NH but I fear that without some incoming quality personnel we will go nowhere and any youngsters that come through will trickle away!

Your call John?

• July 24, 2015 at 11:02

@wongo: I don't know the ins and outs, but why did KJ leave?
      If it was because the club wouldn't invest, why did they give so much to Ginge and coco?

If every penny spent by AND on Lomas and Holloway was given to KJ we may be pushing for Championship Play off's this season rather than wondering if we sink or swim with kids.

I know I've been jokingly demanding the striker but if we come across as desperate to sign a forward then surely clubs will up the price on us knowing its what we need.

I do try to remain positive, but I honestly dont see us as anything other than 15-10th this season.
      Lets not expect to bounce back as it won't happen, lets support our boys and manager.

We have some good young players that will take 4-5 years to be anywhere close to their potential, a good academy, it is a dark time and we may suffer 1 more relegation, but we must continue to invest in the future and not buy for the sake of buying, I'd take mid table this year and not get shafted by an old has been just for goals that may not even come.

• July 24, 2015 at 09:53

Panic on the streets of Southwark sign a striker sign a striker sign a striker. Do me a favour change the record season ain't started yet

• July 24, 2015 at 10:45

@dave666: its not a case of panic..its just plain common sense to say we need a striker

• July 24, 2015 at 11:19