Manager Harris expresses delight with Millwall youngsters

@ Edmund Boyden
@ Edmund Boyden

MILLWALL manager Neil Harris was happy with his young side’s display after Tuesday’s game at Bromley.

The Lions drew 2-2 with the Conference Premier new boys with ten academy players in the squad Harris took to Hayes Lane.

And he was thrilled with how the youngsters handled themselves, picking out midfielders Fred Onyedinma and Kris Twardek for special mentions.

“I’m delighted to see so many young players on the pitch,” Harris said.

“With that, bad decisions will come and so will playing at 100 miles per hour  at times. I've been there myself; you want to impress and show everybody what you're about.

“I was delighted with some senior players and how they dictated the game at times.

“We're blessed that we have young players with energy, with Kris Twardek coming on and Fred Onyedinma, who was outstanding.

“With Aiden O’Brien, John Marquis, Jimmy Abdou and Joe Martin, we have players with real energy who can carry the ball up the pitch.

“Kris has got huge potential and he's one we will have to be patient with but, as you can see, I won't be afraid to give boys an opportunity.”

Harris also said that although Onyedinma is one of a number of talented youngsters coming through the Lions’ system, fans must be patient with him this season.

“I think Fred showed what he is all about tonight,” Harris added.

“He is just 18 years old, he's a super talent and he has had a really successful loan period.

“He's a young man who is going to be on fire one minute, then slightly off it the next.

“We will have to be patient with Fred and with the other young lads and realise he isn't going to be the finished article every minute of every game.

“But in spells he will set the world alight and score goals. He will give us an end product and carry the ball up the pitch.”

The Millwall boss also praised Martin’s performance after the left-back made his debut following his move from Gillingham this summer.

“I’m really pleased with Joe, he did really well.

“Any player making his debut, and you could see with Tony (Craig)too, they want to do really well in their first game.

“Joe showed what he is about. He has a really good delivery and looks to get forward.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

23 thoughts on “Manager Harris expresses delight with Millwall youngsters

• July 15, 2015 at 09:34

Improvement needed joe Martin looked comfortable Fred constant threat but with no end product but he will improve. Was good in patches. Not many clear cut chances through moments of brilliance a forgettable game. Only are first friendly. Looking for a improvement at afc Wimbledon. Harris has a job on his hands from what I watched early days we live in hope

• July 15, 2015 at 09:35

I thought the youngsters played well... To be fair though the only tactics I heard from our dug out was.... Shape... Movement and Push up...

I was behind dug out all game... The youngsters played well IMO

friendlys are nothing to go by though.

• July 15, 2015 at 10:06

See some are being impatient already! They think they have all the solutions but don't realise there part of the problems! f*** me it's gonna be a long season if you for the a*** already. Friendlies are purely fitness tests and your can't judge nothing by them.

• July 15, 2015 at 10:38

Just looked at the team last night and on a rough count there were twelve players who were either not with us or not part of the squad last season. we had two strikers in Gregory and Philpot who did not play, as well as Cowen Hall not sure what fans expect from the first game. It seems to me it was a good work out a chance to see some young players and from the reports it looks like when the real season gets going we are going to have, at last, some pace and trickery in the side. I, for one, am really excited by the team and the up coming season, can't wait.

• July 15, 2015 at 11:06

@lennie the lion: obrien and marquis won't score goals , we need at least one proper striker , just don't see any goals in our team .

• July 15, 2015 at 11:35

@southstandview: Have to agree Southstand, never been a fan of Marquis, but Bomber see's something in him and he is a lot better judge then me, and I suspect you and I also suspect a lot of other people. I think Gregory will be a revelation this season and Philpot's record is a goal every ten minutes! After saying that I would like to see the likes of a Matt Smith, Jay ET, come into the side but I am actually reassured that we are not just getting someone in for the sake of it, if we hit the ground running then leave alone if we don't Neil will have a better idea of what is needed.

• July 15, 2015 at 11:57

@southstandview: you could put messi In that team would. Struggle to score just have to give it time the youngsters will give it their best. Shot I'm certain of that we might beat Shrewsbury 5.0 yet

• July 15, 2015 at 12:19

@dave666: I agee that both of them will always put in a shift but neither are goal scorers and we don't have goals in midfield either .

• July 15, 2015 at 12:24

@southstandview: can see your point abit early to say lets hope they all come good gonna be a long season but miracles do happen still think we will come good

• July 15, 2015 at 19:56

@southstandview:
        Marquis won't score bucket loads....he'll hit double figures though....an I think his job will be to do all the donkey work...chase lost causes and hold the ball up for Gregory who WILL hit bucket loads...Orient the same....will chip in with small double figures but I see him more of a play maker next season...Gregory is our 20 to 30 man next season so don't fret....losing out on Hanson was a blessing in disguise as Marquis can do his role for sure...we do however need a pacy striker to complete the 4 up top....don't ask me who but just someone who can offer speed up top to nip in behind then I reckon between em that's every angle covered....go easy on Marquis fellas....he's millwall through and through an will have a vital part to play if Gregory is gonna hit the net as often as we know he should next season.

• July 15, 2015 at 20:04

@Hurlocksgonnagetya: I like marquis because of his work rate but him and obrien just aren't good enough to play up front , they both lack finishing ability.

• July 15, 2015 at 13:31

@lennie the lion: Lennie with so much change in the team it will take time to gel not going to happen over night it's bad enuff beding in one or two players we got 10 or so and a new manager will take time patients and abit of Magic and hopefully once we start scoring we will start turning it around

• July 15, 2015 at 13:58

@dave666: I think Dave that in most circumstances you would be right, but the youngsters the like of Fred, O'Brien, Philpot, etc etc have together a while along with Marquis, who has played with Jimmy etc It might just be that it all starts to click very early. Bomber has made great play that players must fit in personality wise. I actually think that the bond the academy players have with the club and each other and now playing in the first team so having 'made it' might just make us one of the tightest squads in the division especially with a club legend like Neil at the helm. BUT a big shout to all fans lets get behind them these young men they need support from us let us to make them feel they are as good as we hope they are.

• July 15, 2015 at 14:10

@lennie the lion: Lennie I'm sure your right in what u say but all I would like to add to your well thought out statement is... The development games these young players play in are nothing like playing in first team competitive games with better pros and fans to contend with. But Harris wouldn't have taken the job if he didn't believe in our young lions and that I'm certain so I for one won't write them off till at least a season however painful it may or may not become

• July 15, 2015 at 16:23

@dave666: I think we can both agree Dave that something needed to be done after the last couple of seasons. We have tried journey men and loan players along with high earners with past reputations at least this way it is not the same as before. Only time will tell if it will work but I am not sure what other way is open to us without a big backer or substantially higher gates and revenue. It also gives the fans a way of identifying with the players and management instead of watching players only here for the wage packet.

• July 15, 2015 at 11:26

These friendlies mean nothing, just a run out and to try different tactics. I wouldn't read into the results too much, unless we were being spanked 5-0 - which we aren't.

I'm more put out by the spelling and grammar mistakes in the article than drawing 2-2 in a pre-season friendly lol.

• July 15, 2015 at 12:47

On a slightly different note, Martyn Woolford has signed for Sheffield Utd. What are people's opinions on this? I personally think we will miss his workrate/commitment and his adaptability and he has experience at L1 with Scunny

• July 15, 2015 at 14:53

Very hard to assess from a friendly but IMO based on what I saw last night, Marquis looked as he has always looked to me; not much I'm afraid. O'Brien was busy and could hopefully mature into a very good player. Martin looked reasonable. Fred was in and out, brilliant at times, anonymous at others. Twardek looked a real prospect when he came on, Ben Thompson has potential but neither will be ready for this season. Romeo looked good and could be pushing Cummings. Archer and King; I wouldn't like to go into next season with either of them No1. I still think that we are going to need a big target man for the start of the season.

• July 15, 2015 at 15:36

would like to see us a league 2 team or two in pre season, will be a better test for the whole team and NH rather than playing against the likes of Bromley

• July 15, 2015 at 18:52

more strength needed in midfield and a Hanson type upfront........weve needed that since Xmas.........the youngsters are great but we need 2 experienced players..........STILL

• July 16, 2015 at 19:41

I am glad to see the back of Woolford, its a shame they didn't take David Forde too!