Millwall's Connolly: I don't like it when coaches play

Connolly 1

DAVID Connolly stresses he has no intention of being one of those coaches who pulls on his playing boots to get involved in training sessions.

Connolly is coaching the U18s with Larry McAvoy but says he will keep a professional distance on the training ground.

Football is littered with cases of managers being unable to hang up their boots completely and having to talk their way out of some awkward situations after problems with players.

In 2004 Graeme Souness insisted he would not stop competing against his players despite a bust-up with Dwight Yorke after the pair had traded ferocious tackles at Blackburn, while then Sunderland boss Mick McCarthy was forced to deny he was responsible for breaking his player Colin Healy’s leg in one training session.

But former Ireland international Connolly, who retired last season, says he will never be in those kinds of positions.

“I’m 38 now and I can sleep well at night knowing I never left anything on the training pitch,” he stressed. “I left nothing on the football pitch. I couldn’t have given any more.

“I had a long career and sometimes you have to know when to stop. I love football and coaching, but I don’t hanker after playing.

“Personally, I never enjoyed it when I was a player and coaches started joining in with the sessions. But I think that’s gone now and it’s all about trying to make the players look good, not making you look good.

“I’m just looking now to help what will hopefully be the stars of tomorrow.”

The former Watford and West Ham player made a high-profile move to Feyenoord in 1997 where he played in the Champions League but says there are different routes to the top and he won’t be telling his players it’s all or nothing at such a delicate age.

“There are lots of ways you can make it in football. I played European football at 20 but I also played with Rickie Lambert who didn’t get to the top level until he was 28 or 29.

“There are different ways to skin a cat, no one way is best.

“Just because it hasn’t happened at 18 or 19 doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen. But they have to have the right balance off the pitch as well.

“They have to live well, eat well and if they do that then in the end the ability will come out.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

33 thoughts on “Millwall's Connolly: I don't like it when coaches play

• July 8, 2015 at 17:04

In the last few seasons we'd have bought him as a player!!!!!! We've had a few over 30's who didn't fancy playing much from what I saw!!!

• July 8, 2015 at 17:12

When are we going to get this some proper news rather than all this old s***

• July 8, 2015 at 19:04

@Block5: the biggest non story ever so I make your comments right, as for the dislikes of your post they are the dregs of the site and know nothing

• July 8, 2015 at 19:17

@Block5: you lot are miserable as f*** lol, I got an idea instead of commenting on nad complaining about no real news, why don't you complain to the board. nad only cover news, I'm sure they wished they had better stories to cover.

• July 8, 2015 at 17:16

Just when one clown goes in comes another talking absolute dribble..no one is asking him to play for the team..its only training ffs

• July 8, 2015 at 17:24

@Jim28: there are different ways to skin a cat... No one way is the best???? Is this fella having a laugh?? Haha

• July 8, 2015 at 17:22

just for stating this tells me he has issues.... Steve Harrison was a good coach and was sacked for taking a s*** in a cup.... who cares weather your going to lace up for the under 18s!!!! Just coach them and shut up talking slime!!

• July 8, 2015 at 17:28

@JONO: grow up mate , slagging off our coaches, players etc , who needs enemies.

• July 8, 2015 at 17:35

@southstandview: talking about skinning cats mate?? I'm very positive but I know when someone talking utter b*******!!! He's at millwall not Palace we don't listen to all that... Check out my last post, I state I'm glad we are appointing some good ex pros to coach our youth....

• July 8, 2015 at 17:39

@JONO: it's an everyday phrase , nad ask them all this stuff so they have to say something , if Harris said it everyone would say he was talking sense .

• July 8, 2015 at 18:43

@southstandview: I never slate players and I also expect no signings, I'm looking forward to next season and I genuinely believe our youth will thrive... But this sounds like a Hollowhead story hahaha seriously did you find it remotely interesting? Maybe NAD should do a quiz or even an "on this day" to fill the headlines....

• July 9, 2015 at 16:49

@JONO:
          You've never heard the phrase , "there's more than one way to skin a cat" ? Your either very young or you need to get out more.

• July 8, 2015 at 17:30

What sort of story is this? What are we as fans gaining out of such crap? I hope no other clubs fans look as this s**** as they will laugh there heads off!

Once again a 2 bit nothing story! In fact I wouldn't even call it that! This clubs going down the pan resorting to things like this! As for Cowan hall, ship him off!

• July 8, 2015 at 18:17

People make me laugh,coming on here waiting for the big story and all upset when nad post comments from our staff. Wake up,there will be no big signing or ground breaking news. Its Millwall,you should be use to it by now,ffs.

• July 8, 2015 at 21:13

BRAKING NEWS ! ! ! .... Millwall have signed Local witch doctor from Deptford high street .. A mr Winston Abooboo to perform a curse braking ceremony . At each corner of the ground. So that they will score from crosses... That's about right coyl

• July 9, 2015 at 09:33

Positive brigade out all excited that he won't be putting his boots on to coach the under 18s...

The same positive brigade that went all moist when we signed Chaplow, the same brigade who got a massive boner when Holloway was appointed....

Kick it out, kick it forward, the brigade that has no clue like the geordys who get a boner when Keegan is mentioned even though he quit on them twice.

I'm Wall through and through and I'm not a knuckle head who talks crap I know the game.... But this is a carrot dangling story.... I would rather a "did you know" or and "on this day" story to give us something to read... I understand NAD need to publish stuff to keep us interested.

Like I said I'm extremely positive we are investing in some good ex pros to coach our youth. I also am realistic about our finances and don't expect any big signings. I look forward to seeing the youth prosper with the leadership of the likes of TC...

I can't help it if I find this story pants lol

• July 9, 2015 at 17:08

@JONO:
      Mate, sort your life out. You sound like this is really affecting your day. It's called NEWS, sometimes it's pointless, sometimes it relevant. To sit there and moan about it as much as you are, is just pathetic. Most normal people click on the site, have a quick browse, then continue their daily lives. You talk about certain 'brigades'... How the fk would you know what people think at certain times? Your just waffling and you sound either 1- very uneducated, 2- very Young, or 3- just plain stupid. Some people who comment on this site would be the reason other fans come on here and leave thinking we are all thick as dog s***. There are some seriously thick people who come on here and just jump on any bandwagon they can. First paris Cowan hall, a bloke who's been injured 3 times , but 2 of them were contact injuries(NOT HIS FAULT FOR THE SLOW ONES AMONGST US). And this one is a muscle injury, which again is something that can happen. I Guarentee that he turns out to be a good player for us, and you'll all be jumping in the bandwagon saying how good he is in a few months. Then there's this story, 1 person moans and the rest follow like the little sheep they are. I don't personally give a s*** if anyone doesn't like what im saying, this site is FULL of complete idiots. Every normal Millwall fan knows it.

• July 9, 2015 at 17:55

@82wall: it seems to have effected you more mate. enjoy your day I won't get caught up in keyboard battles

• July 9, 2015 at 18:48

@82wall: I just liked your comment and you didn't like mine back?? Haha

• July 9, 2015 at 19:00

@82wall:
            I don't ever like or dislike anyone's comments. Personally think those buttons are abit childish and have no relevance to any reasonable argument as they often sway the opinions of the many sheep we have on this site. For the record, this is a pointless argument. I was merely pointing out that if you get so worked up about an article, or the news in the article, then you must lead a very boring life. The Suns shining, get out and do something rather than sitting on here moaning about what connolly has said. At the end of the day it's abit like you, pointless.

• July 9, 2015 at 10:39

A free site trying to inform and report what it can. And it gets slated I rest my case if you don't like what's on bbc 1 what do you do I'll tell you turn it over how hard is that to do I'm sure I'll get loads of dislikes from the resident moaners. Do I give a f*** answers on a postcard you gotta laugh especially after stuck in traffic cos the greedy tube drivers are crying again

• July 9, 2015 at 14:03

@JONO: no chance son I'll be to busy getting behind our team if our team gives it's all no passengers wearing the shirt I for one will be a proud man and hopefully Harris will unite us all to be believers I think that will be a tougher job than sorting the team. I respect all wall fans and there opinions United we stand away in Bradford hopefully this time around Harris will get a better result