Craig could be the answer in Millwall's defender search

2012 NPower Championship Coventry City v Millwall Apr 17th

MILLWALL'S chances of signing Tony Craig could be boosted after Brentford added another centre-back to their squad.

After bringing in French stopper Yoann Barbet last month, the Bees confirmed the eye-catching signing of Danish international Andreas Bjelland today.

That means stiffer competition for a centre-back slot and, after making 24 appearances last season, Craig may feel his chances of getting first-team football are better elsewhere.

Lions boss Neil Harris has made no secret of his desire to bring in another defender, and the capture of Craig would soften the blow for fans after the club missed out in the race to sign Alfie Mawson when he opted to join Barnsley instead.

There was also some frustration after striker James Hanson decided to stay at Bradford.

A move to Millwall would seem to make sense for Craig. The 30-year-old, who is a Lions fan, has already enjoyed three spells with the club after coming through the youth ranks and making his debut in 2003. He left for Crystal Palace four years later after 87 appearances for Millwall before he rejoined initially on loan and then permanently again in 2008.

Craig was part of the Brentford side that won 3-2 at The Den last November and he was full of praise for the supporters after they had given him a standing ovation.

“It was a great occasion for myself and my family,” he said. “I’ve got some family in (the) Millwall end and some who wanted the Brentford tickets. It’s a special occasion for me personally.

“What they did for me after the game, I’ll treasure that for the rest of my life. I really do appreciate it.

“They haven’t lost their roar since I’ve been away. It’s just a great occasion.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

44 thoughts on “Craig could be the answer in Millwall's defender search

• July 2, 2015 at 19:12

Come home Craig, captain us as well. Two birds one stone!

• July 2, 2015 at 19:23

I think we can now understand fully Bombers comments on the last post. Welcome home Tony.

• July 2, 2015 at 19:25

Would be perfect captain for us and good partner for Sid.

• July 2, 2015 at 20:40

Remember being happy we got rid of him.
    Great attitude, but just wants to boot the ball off.
    Maybe that's because he was played as a left back and out of position.
    Will be a decent centre back, with a lot of experience in League 1.

• July 2, 2015 at 21:34

I would welcome him back with open arms, he's been at a successful club all be it on the fringes & knows this club & what it takes to play for us, would be good to partner Sid, and would make an excellent captain .......come home TC

• July 2, 2015 at 22:06

Backward step in my opinion. Beevers is a far better footballer.

• July 3, 2015 at 00:13

@Adsy77777:
      But Beevers is a bit too nice/soft for my liking. Never seen him crunch anyone in a tackle, never seen him get in anyone's face. He's wayyy to laid back to be a CB at Millwall. TC is a warrior.

• July 3, 2015 at 10:26

@Adsy77777: Beevers has got zero composure on the ball. Good defender but he doesn't seem to be able to keep the ball on the deck! Just hoofs it under the slightest bit of pressure.

• July 3, 2015 at 10:41

@Charlie09: And TC doesn't? I think Beevers was under instruction from IH. I think with his confidence restored, playing under a manager who believes in him Beevers can be an asset.

• July 2, 2015 at 22:11

IMO we will be in trouble if we start young Nelson with anyone this season, Start !, because if we start off badly it would have a bad effect on some of the younger players. we have to be careful with all this 'they are our young players therefore they must be able to play in this division. We have some very talented young players, but they cant be slung into the team without there being some older leaders in the team. Webster for me, would be perfect with Craig if we get him, cummings and martin fullbacks, williams and upson centre midfield and o'brien and gregory upfront, not many places left, i would like to see a hanson type forward, and a 'mouthy midfielder added to the squad, but with fred and paris i think we will have a good season. IMO

• July 2, 2015 at 22:12

Sid and craig as a pair ! New balls please

• July 2, 2015 at 22:58

For me I fail to see any positives in a move like this.The kid has got heart in abundance but he was slow the last time round.

I appreciate we are now fishing in a different pond being a League one team and all, but it's an ominous sign of the immediate future if this is the level we are pitching at.

• July 2, 2015 at 23:17

If trying to get a left sided defender in then Shane Lowry might be the better one to come back, I rated him and thiught he

• July 3, 2015 at 00:38

I heard it was a done deal last week, just waiting for the announcement

• July 3, 2015 at 07:27

Understands the fans experienced player to help guide the youngsters south London boy great character for me ticks all the boxes good signing hope it happens

• July 3, 2015 at 08:03

Time was not so long ago that moving from Brentford to Millwall was a step up.

Still years of mismanagement at all levels have done for that, what a disgrace.

Anyhow always liked Craig's commitment but is it another over the hill pro seeing out his days?

• July 3, 2015 at 08:17

@wongo: abit harsh he is far from over the hill he is one of our own came through our academy can't believe some people comments all day long tc in our club

• July 3, 2015 at 09:37

@dave666: I agree, very harsh comments about TC... if it was any other 30 year old who was looking for a quick buck before retiring then I'd say NO, but TC is Millwall through and through... he will always want to win!!

• July 3, 2015 at 10:29

@Bradders: people have short memories Noel Harris said he wants Millwall type people tc is I'm happy to see our youth come through and tc in the shirt

• July 3, 2015 at 23:36

@dave666: who the f*** is noel harris?

• July 4, 2015 at 00:05

@dave666: cold blow, Noel Harris sits in South Lower block 36 nice bloke, talks highly of Tony Craig....

I agree Tony Craig is a fighter and gives it 100%

I would like to see him back in Blue

• July 3, 2015 at 08:50

Long time reader first time poster here so hello all, I'd like TC back, good experienced left sided defender, which we need, Beevers is a decent player but lacks real aggression, which TC has in spades. As for Webster I've never seen a 6ft plus centre back get bullied and pushed around like he did in some games last season, which is a Shame as he looked ok at charlton. I think he lacks confidence as well which we can't afford next season, all these northern teams will see us as the southern softies and will want to get stuck into us, we have to be ready and show them we mean business right from the word go, and for me a settled and solid defence is a absolute must. Far far too many teams have come to The Den in the last few years and had it easy, so fingers crossed TC comes back and will lend vital experience and leadership to the spine of our team.

• July 3, 2015 at 09:16

Loved TC when he was here but not so sure he is the same player just hope he proves me wrong. Also think now that dunne has gone fans will start using him as the whipping boy if things ain't going is way.

• July 3, 2015 at 09:26

I don't see TC as a better footballer than Beevers, but if NH thinks he needs to bring in a captain then it could be a good move. Passion and leadership in abundance, and will actually play at CB rather than LB. Just need one more striker now, maybe a couple of young loan players to give us depth and options.

• July 3, 2015 at 09:34

Morning all.

I always criticised TC for pointlessly blasting the ball miles up in the air for no reason, especially one time when we were still looking to win the game in second half injury time but I can't remember the opposition.

Never had criticised his wall spirit though and I 'd gladly keep an open mind if this goes through.

• July 3, 2015 at 09:52

Not sure on this one I think his experience would be fantastic but I also wanted Dunne gone who is a similar type player , Brentford were a good side last year but I don't think their defence was that great but up front they seemed to be on fire which always helps . I always remember he put a shift in for us but im not sure about players coming back it never seems to end well ....

• July 3, 2015 at 10:10

If fans are moaning cos tc ain't a great footballer what about Jimmy abdou can't pass to save his life but is 100 percent committed a proper Millwall player tc the same in character and commitment what's the difference 100 percent

• July 3, 2015 at 16:36

@dave666:
      Fun fact for the day.... Jimmy had the highest percentage of passes completed out of all our midfielders last season. His passing has improved dramatically.

• July 3, 2015 at 17:35

@82wall: not being funny but I watched many games home away and jimmy won the ball poor pass I ain't coating Jimmy but it's a fact jimmy is a real servant plays anywhere but he can't pass fact

• July 4, 2015 at 03:09

@dave666:
          I agree with you mate. Couldn't quite believe it myself when someone showed me the figures. However, it does show that he has improved over the years which is all we can ask for.

• July 3, 2015 at 11:15

Tony Craig is not exactly a returning legend but he is not a bad bloke to have around the place. What does the new head of recruitment do for his money? Almost every target on our radar has been known to the club well before he joined.

• July 3, 2015 at 11:23

I would have him back, I like players who fight for the badge and he ticks the right boxes unlike half the t****** we had last season, anyway role on August its boring with no football.

• July 4, 2015 at 07:29

@foxy: and i suppose craig will get the same comments as dunne did last season..

• July 4, 2015 at 13:11

Every club needs a TC Top Cat and for me Tony Craig ticks all the boxes....