Millwall boss: Trialists are an option if they fit with the club

n_harris

MILLWALL boss Neil Harris has not ruled out taking players on trial this summer.

Last July Magaye Gueye and Matthew Briggs had successful trial periods at The Den before being offered contracts by Ian Holloway.

Ugandan winger Martin Mutumba was also offered an opportunity to impress but Holloway opted against signing the player and he later joined Rah Ahan in Iran.

Winger Gueye scored five goals in 32 league appearances but was dropped last February after failing a body fat ratio test. He wasn’t retained by the club this summer and has yet to find a new club.

Former Fulham defender Briggs was also released after making just seven appearances and has since signed for Colchester United.

The transfer window officially opened today and Harris would like to add to his squad as quickly as possible after securing the signings of Jordan Archer and Joe Martin last week.

“If a player comes highly recommended, and we’ve obviously done our research on him and it fits really well then yes, we could have a look at him,” Harris said. “But it’s important to get the mix right.

“You don’t want to take a player on trial just for the sake of it. You’d have to give it some serious consideration before bringing a player in.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

51 thoughts on “Millwall boss: Trialists are an option if they fit with the club

• July 1, 2015 at 10:33

In bomber I trust COYL NOLU, WDC miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• July 1, 2015 at 10:36

I thought there was a plan B,C and D for players needed to fill gaps as Hanson,Mawson, Craig and Timlin have not materialised.I'm happy Hanson didn't come off as I think hes pump anyway. Scored
    70 odd goals in 6 seasons. Rather unearth a 20-30 goal a season power house that can establish himself with us and fit around the other players.

• July 1, 2015 at 10:40

Bring back Gueye, he can do a job in scoring goals, adds a bit of pace as well. Obviously he is still probably hopeful of securing a deal with a Championship club but definitely wouldn't mind seeing him back in more of a strikers role.

• July 1, 2015 at 10:53

@Bexley_Lion: I thought he was a decent shout for a place this year as well Bexley. Definitely could do a job in this league.

• July 1, 2015 at 10:53

Millwall are examining every option. Until we as a club prove we have ambition a team that can compete. We will struggle to attract players if our new look manager-team do well then better players will come to the den. We have been poor for awhile. In my opinion next season is massive for many reasons And U.S. The fans are more important than ever Harris has proved one thing beyond doubt he cares Next season is his way. His team. His chance to continue in football and I'm looking forward to the ride

• July 1, 2015 at 11:15

Ambition isn't a word I'd use to sum up the current owner and our board. For the past 3-4 years everything has been done on the cheap - we couldn't even repair the blo0dy scoreboard. Scratching around for trialists after everything that's happened just sums up where we are. I hope I'm proved wrong, but I think it could be a difficult season ahead with this current squad and lack of ambition from Berylson and Co.

• July 1, 2015 at 11:32

@Micky Lions: Micky you might be right in a lot you say and we are where we are because of bad desicions from a number of places including owner past managers niel excluded for now the board Andy ambler whoever but this season feels different to me I hope this time we learn from the past and move forward I think this season is make or break

• July 1, 2015 at 11:33

@Micky Lions: Just talk of having trialists,shows that Bomber is having real problems getting the players he wants.
      And JB not willing to stump up decent money,makes it near impossible.

• July 1, 2015 at 11:44

@Longfield Lion: we are a club in decline on a rebuilding program it's a massive job for Harris unproven as a manager so far. So will find it hard to recruit. Dare I say it if it goes tits up next season and I prey it don't where do we go then. Not worth thinking about I hope the youth and Harris pull it off and give the fans something to get behind and believe in. Or the alternatives don't bare thinking about. We all must try next season this season the twelfth man is important to get behind our youngsters

• July 1, 2015 at 11:46

@Longfield Lion: see I read that differently.
        Not that he cant find players and there is no plan B, but trialists as another avenue, still look at targets but if someone is recommended that they haven't seen, then give them a trial to see what they've got.

Its like he said weeks ago about loans, if a decent youngster is available on loan and he fits the space and we dont have anyone of our own then we may look at loans but they will have to be right and be available for a whole season (learnt from previous there) as players coming in then leaving in January.

• July 2, 2015 at 09:54

@brooker: I agree brooker. Trialiasts are just another option. I think some people on here need a reality check. We are a small club by average gate attendances, which in itself is not very inviting to quality players. JB has put his hand in his pocket, hence the largest squad in the division last year. Ambler seems the only one that doesn't fit. Our only way forward is exactly what Neil is doing now. We can only hope his technical knowledge matches his passion. Either way, the next season feels different, like we are on the verge if something great

• July 1, 2015 at 11:25

Bring Magaye back, adds pace, strength and SHOULD get goals if in league 1.

• July 1, 2015 at 11:32

I think Magaye was let go for monetary reasons more than anything.
    If he was on a lower wage i think he would still be here.

bring back Fabrini

• July 1, 2015 at 11:53

@brooker: fabrinni played for him self greedy lazy wouldn't track back and niel wants a team who work fight together that prat played with himself

• July 1, 2015 at 12:13

@dave666: I was joking Dave, for all the flip flap, tippa-tappa, the bloke had absolutely 0 impact on any game, a mis-shot may have landed at someone else foot to score once but other than some fancy footwork i didn't see anything of him.
        He got a few MOTM awards in his short stay so some obviously liked him

• July 1, 2015 at 12:21

@brooker: lol thank god for that I thought you'd got sun stroke for a minute u had me going

• July 1, 2015 at 12:23

@brooker: If we were challenging at the top and had him show-boating and splitting defences it would have been a different story, but when your struggling for points you need a second striker and a solid midfield.

• July 1, 2015 at 12:11

Kevin Davis just been released from Preston looking for a new club! Prob better than Hanson as a target man! Puts it about a bit too! Blinding in the air! Won't score many goals but that will be down to the other striker playing off him. Also this year I want to see the midfielders couple if them try to get in double figures!

• July 1, 2015 at 12:43

Just to change the subject if I may new Millwall tops not on sale till the 12th of July what's that all about

• July 1, 2015 at 13:03

Changing the subject again - WHY IS ARE THE PLAYERS MANAGEMENT PHYSIO KITMAN PROGRAMME SELLER AND ZAMPA ALL GOING TO PORTUGAL AS STATED FOR THE WARM WEATHER TRAINING.
    NH HAVE A LOOK OUT OF THE WINDOW IT IS F.....G HOT HERE WASTE OF MONEY TIME TRAVELLING AND CHANCES OF GETTING FOOD POSIONING UNLESS THE TEAM CHEF IS GOING ABSOLUTE WASTE OF MONEY - DON'T GO AND GIVE THE MONEY TO YOUR CHARITY NEIL MORE WORTHY.
    GET THE TEAM TO TRAIN INSTEAD WITH THE SAS AND GET THE TEAM TO RUN DOWN TO THE TRAINING CAMP AT NO COST - NOW TO ME THAT IS SENSIBLE. WILL DAN ARCHER BE THE NO 1 GOALIE - NOW THAT IS THE QUESTION.

• July 1, 2015 at 13:34

@Mekongriver: What a load of codswallop, train with the sas? They are more likely to pick up more injuries than enough with that bunch. I remember Gordon Jago bringing in a ballet dancer trainer to work on the team he had. Sounds silly but those guys are as fit and strong as can be. But the reason Jago did it was to teach and improve players balance and jumping ability, muscle fitness exercises as well.
      However its the same story at Millwall, grubbing around for a player or two at this time of the year. Its obvious that there are few options, the scouting department seems as moribund as ever. Looking for a player on the cheap with no money available, has Neil got any money to spend and if so how much? It would be interesting to know.

• July 1, 2015 at 13:57

Don't even reply to this mong. What kind of Hampton uses capital letters all through their post.Got to be an anorak. F. Off.

• July 1, 2015 at 13:54

Davies was poor for us last time around,I think it's gonna be surprisingly tough this coming season,we've missed out on targets like last season and I wonder if berylson is quite content to stay in league one arfter losing money in a costly championship division, I still feel without more investment it's going to be a struggle,and we all know with young players the club have a ready made excuse in that it will take time for them to gain experience and mature if we don't do well.

• July 1, 2015 at 14:05

Can't see us signing anyone of any note. The board have to step up or F**** off.

• July 1, 2015 at 18:43

@LETEMCOME: Totally agree. If we are going to sign a couple of players we need to start getting serious. Only five weeks to go to kick off, again we need to have a team by that time that are not strangers to each other. Please show some ambition. Could not face another season struggling.

• July 1, 2015 at 14:19

agree 666 the lads must show who's boss on that pitch fully commited tackles,defensive and midfield leaders giving instructions...make other players think i want to be a part of that...(on beach in malaga..off 2 portugal soon)

• July 1, 2015 at 14:20

It's July the 1st. Many Players officially become available today. People need to calm down and stop stressing. If we have the same squad this time next month I'll be very surprised.

• July 1, 2015 at 16:28

@82wall: the fact that he has indicated getting in loan players would suggest we have no one in mind at the monent..obviously that can and often does change..but not to have a target can worry fans..but you know and most of us they could be talking to a player now.but there not gonna tell the press that.

• July 1, 2015 at 17:03

@Jim28: Hello jim.perhap's you might know who it is wearing the number 37 shirt in the photo's on the millwall website,block 28 does not know and i do not know,so here is the chance to show us all up and come up with the answer.

• July 2, 2015 at 09:18

@jim1222: thats a easy one..nobody has yet claimed that number.

• July 1, 2015 at 17:09

Prepare yourselves for the next wave of decrepid donkeys to roll up.When Barnsley are a better prospect than us to a London born and bred player,the writing is on the wall.

• July 1, 2015 at 17:12

Bring Back Maggie he looked like he was turning into a good player I think he would run defenders ragged in Div 1 ........probably left because of money I would imagine but I must say I think he would be worth it .

• July 1, 2015 at 19:46

woods signs for leeds has our board got there heads up there own backsides speculate to accumulate.you are supposed to be businessmen,but it looks like zilch is going on or likely to.how much has bomber got to spend tell the truth,with this board our ship is rudderless.

• July 1, 2015 at 20:19

Been supporting Millwall for 30 plus years, we have this situation every close season, after all these years I'm used to it. But will always support them despite the disappointment of never signing any big names as they will never come to us because we are not a fashionable club and never have been, but that suits me fine because their my club and that's all that matters at the end of the day, so when we do have success the moments are always sweeter for it.

• July 1, 2015 at 22:22

the Mawson situation needs explaining - so why would he choose Barnsley, salary ? (can they out pay us?) what are the other reasons?

• July 2, 2015 at 05:30

Looks like we have agreed to sign nile ranger from Blackpool for 150,000

• July 2, 2015 at 05:34

Looks like we going to sign nile ranger from Blackpool for 150,000

• July 2, 2015 at 07:45

@jenko: hope not,This guy knows more about a police cell then a football pitch

• July 2, 2015 at 09:59

Nile ranger the terminater we must be desperate if that's true if we are lead to believe we will only sign players if they fit. And there the right type of player. Then I'll hate to see the rest of our signings tell me it's only rumours

• July 2, 2015 at 10:30

I can't see NH signing Nile Ranger, hes more trouble than hes worth !

• July 2, 2015 at 11:03

@londoner4: well up to Harris it's his team but don't fit with all the pr we might as well sign ched Evans for a win double

• July 2, 2015 at 11:18

@dave666: Why not take a chance on Evans? He's done his time, surely deserves a chance to get on with his life. Would make the difference in this league.I await the dislikes

• July 2, 2015 at 11:31

@luckymart1: call me old fashioned and I only speak for myself their are certain moral codes and lines in life you don't cross and you live and die by your word . Attitude and character speaks more about a person then the words that come out your mouth Millwall can sign whoever they like not for me to say but don't mean I gotta like em dislike as. Much as you want I'm a father end off

• July 2, 2015 at 11:01

Bomber says he is only looking for a coupe more players.
    Agree we had miles too many players last season.
    And it is better to work with a smaller squad.
    I just hope he signs a couple of key players.
    Because at the moment,as far as I am concerned, we just do not have the players to take us back up to the Championship.
    Hope I am miles out and proved wrong.
    One thing for sure is that we need a good start.