Millwall's Onyedinma eyes future creative central role

Fred Onyedinma

FRED Onyedinma would like to eventually establish himself in a role off the main striker for Millwall, but for now he wants to build on last season's form.

The 18-year-old featured across the front line at Wycombe last season and offered a scoring threat from each position.

But he believes a central role is where his creative gifts can flourish.

“I think my favourite position would be behind the striker,” he said. “Sometimes I might have to stay on the wing or up top but, really, I try to look for ways that I can get on the ball.

“I don’t really like being fixed in one position. I prefer to move around and try to create something.”

“I grew up watching players like Ronaldinho and Messi, obviously. I admire players who are creative and get on the ball and try things.”

He showed the variety to his game by scoring a number of different types of goals (shown below) last season, something that will appeal to the club’s all-time record scorer.

And he knows his boss and assistant will point out the areas he needs to improve upon next season.

“With Neil Harris and Dave Livermore you can speak to them to try and understand things better and they’d never not help you.

“There are some things I might not be good at so I always want to learn.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

22 thoughts on “Millwall's Onyedinma eyes future creative central role

• June 24, 2015 at 10:01

I like the idea of a young player who can play in a couple of different positions hopefully Fred you will be banging them in from all over the pitch cant wait for the season to start .

• June 24, 2015 at 10:14

Strikes me Fred's a nice, young man with a superb attitude and he's surely one of our best prospects for years.

• June 24, 2015 at 10:19

You just know that these players have so much to learn from NH and his coaching team.

If they remain receptive, adjust and find what works for them and the team you also know this will work out fine.

• June 24, 2015 at 10:19

Yep did not take long - right said Fred on NAD - watch this space. Oh yes does British players
    who only Bomber will get include Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Republic of Ireland just a thought. Wall after Timlin of Southend - all in the local paper today - good player. What a good thread. COYL

• June 24, 2015 at 11:05

@Mekongriver: The Republic of Ireland is its own country and is separate from the British Isles. Geography 101. The British Isles consist of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The Isle of Man and Channel Islands are dependencies of the Crown. Anyway, back to Millwall. I think this is a good move for Fred in that he would eventually play off the main striker. But initially, as he says, he should maintain his form. The fact is that we have not had a good "playmaker" (possibly excluding Upson) since James Henry left for Wolves. And even then, Henry predominantly was a right winger, I think, who occasionally cut inside.

• June 24, 2015 at 16:35

@Millwall_Matt:
        Nope - the British Isles include the whole island of Ireland. You probably mean Great Britain. But even then you are wrong because strictly speaking that doesn't include the Province of Northern Ireland.
        To be fair though this is a tangled question and probably belongs in Politics 202.

• June 24, 2015 at 16:39

@Millwall_Matt I'm not quite sure why I'm joining in on a geography lesson but actually the British Isles is a group of islands, the main two being Great Britain (where England, Scotland, and Wales are) and Ireland (where the Republic of Ireland and also Northern Ireland are). Just to confuse matters there is also the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, which is our sovereign state.

But never mind all this: I don't care really where our players are from as long as they are keen to play for us. You can't have anyone more "Millwall" than Jimmy Abdou for instance.

And in all the talk of Fred, I just wonder where Paris Cowan-Hall fits into the picture. Seems like a good player from the little we've seen of him and from his reputation at Wycombe, and so it's by no means sure that Fred will be preferred to him. It's good to have that competition for places though and I realise that strength in depth is important, but sometimes I do get the impression that some people on this site feel we can put 20 players out on the pitch at a time. At our level it's always going to be about quality in the first choice starting line-up, which to me, might be

Forde or Archer (depending on events)
        Cummings
        Nelson (or Mawson if we get him)
        Beevers
        Martin (Joe) - let's see, but no choice anyway

Cowan-Hall
        Jimmy
        Williams
        Upson

O'Brien (I reckon he could blossom this year- showed good signs at the end of last year)
        Gregory

I don't think it's a great side, but let's see what a bit of cohesiveness and spirit can do for us, two qualities that were rather lacking under Holloway. Plus we might see some personal development in several of these young players, and of course there are people like Fred, Jack Powell and Philpot who could come through too.

• June 25, 2015 at 05:47

@waterloolion:
          I reckon NH will sign another left back before the start, also reckon lee martin will start on the left with abdou and upson in the middle. Don't panic! We have the whole of July to go yet, there will be a few ins and outs before we kick off. People need to chill and have some faith that we have finally got someone in charge who knows what type of character we need on the pitch.

• June 24, 2015 at 13:59

@Mekongriver: isn't Timlin a wall fan? Class player along with a few others at Southend (Bentley especially).
      Would like to see Fred supporting the front 2 as the kid is class

• June 24, 2015 at 12:33

Big fan of Fred's just at not sure what to make of his 2 year contract. To me it seems just long enough to see what he's capable of but still short enough for us to f*** it up and sell him for peanuts.

• June 24, 2015 at 13:10

@spartacus: I would imagine that if he plays a blinder first season and the board recognises it they should without dought extend his contract for a further two years,we will wait and see

• June 24, 2015 at 13:29

Fred has a good positive attitude, he is still very young and has everything to play for. Give him a free role and lots of encouragement. He is bound to make mistakes but that is part of the learning process and even the top players make errors. It would be great if the club can make him a potent striker saves buying one.

• June 24, 2015 at 15:15

Very pleasing, some good finishes there.... Can't wait to see him play next season....

We need to give this lot game time and they will thrive!!

• June 24, 2015 at 15:55

Here's one for you Bomber - Crewe are willing to listen to offers for highly-rated attacker Ryan Colclough during the off-season transfer window. However, Alex boss Steve Davis has yet to hear of any serious interest in the 20-year-old, who will be out of contract at the end of the month.

• June 24, 2015 at 16:33

Its a real shame Connor Wilkinson didn't have the same attitude as Fred... Instead he went to Bolton, then loaned to Chester and Oldham and only scoring 4 pro goals since leaving. Shame, because I'm certain he would have flourished with us as O'Brien has.

• June 24, 2015 at 17:41

No doubt Fred is a talent.
    I just wonder why Wycombe kept him on the bench for the last few games of last season & didn't use him.
    So don't expect too much, he's still a kid & league 1 is up a level to what he's used to last season.

• June 24, 2015 at 18:25

I am sorry to burst everyone's bubble but Michael Tonkin is a no go? He has turned us down a few times before. He is not a wall fan either. Went secondary with him. He ain't long signed a new contract with Southend either

• June 25, 2015 at 00:43

This young lion has got a bit of everythink cant wait 2 see him play 4 our beloved MILLWALL he was is all different position every goals he scored cant I wil give him a free role he wil give defenders in this league scared 2 attack him can't wait COYL NOLU