Neil Harris completes his first signings as Millwall boss

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL have announced the signings of left-back Joe Martin and  goalkeeper Jordan Archer.

Martin has penned a one -year deal while Archer, who spent time on loan at the Lions last season, has signed a two-year contract.

Marin, 26, is out of contract after five years at Gillingham, who he joined from Blackpool.

He made 161 appearances for the Gills, scoring eight goals, and was named in the League Two team of the season in 2012-13 when they won promotion.

NewsAtDen exclusively revealed earlier this month that manager Neil Harris had moved to solve what was a problem position for the Lions, with Scott Malone, Matthew Briggs and Dan Harding all used there at different times last season.

Martin began his career at Tottenham but didn’t make an appearance for the Premier League side.

Archer also spent four years with Tottenham where he couldn’t break into the first team and had spells on loan at Wycombe and Northampton. He was released this month.

The 22-year-old joined Millwall on loan last February but couldn’t dislodge David Forde as the club’s first-choice number one.

Tom King, 19, and 20-year-old Denzel Gerrar both also appeared on the bench last season as back-up to Forde.

The former Cardiff City keeper is expected to leave Millwall and has been linked with a number of Championship clubs, but boss Neil Harris gave little away this week when he said he wanted to bring in someone to provide competition for the Ireland international.

Forde can leave on a free transfer after the Lions’ relegation.

And, at a critical juncture in his career, Scotland U21 international Archer obviously feels he can establish himself in the first team this season.

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

59 thoughts on “Neil Harris completes his first signings as Millwall boss

• June 23, 2015 at 09:28

IF they think Martin is good enough, why only offer him a 1 year deal?

• June 23, 2015 at 20:54

@glyngo: maybe we have a youngster who is not quite ready for this season?

• June 23, 2015 at 09:29

Great news! And apparently we're on the verge of completing the Hanson deal add well. To be announced Thursday! Well done Neil, a solid cb and a no nonsense cm who can be captain then I think we're pretty much ready to go!!!

• June 23, 2015 at 09:39

Let's hope that these 2 signings will keep the moaning meanies at bay for a few weeks at least. Great signings, imo, and another couple of bricks added to Bomber's new house building.

• June 23, 2015 at 09:44

bolland i think our supporters have the right to be moaners after the last couple of seasons they have had to endure, lets hope neil can lift the team to better things.

• June 23, 2015 at 09:57

@butty:

I can't disagree about the last 3 seasons but our team was full of old loanee journeymen who we, the fans, know don't give a flying **** about us & 'wall. Bomber is answering our call to play our own where possible and add some permanent experience within the squad. I have great faith that NH will try his hardest to give us a side that doesn't get humilated at home most weeks like the last couple of seasons.

• June 23, 2015 at 10:15

@butty: It's encouraging that we're getting new faces in, but I think we're entitled to be a bit cautious. We've signed an awful lot of mediocre players on the cheap in recent years. Hopefully these two players will do well, but both are still just free transfers - Archer is unproven and most of us had never heard of Martin before. So lets not get too excited till we see what they can do.

• June 23, 2015 at 11:04

@Micky Lions: I agree with you on this one Micky so to all the knocker's.
          LET'S WAIT AND SEE WHAT THEY CAN DO,ten games at least.

• June 23, 2015 at 16:39

@Bolland:

I see wwe have the "Dislike" brigade in force again. What do these people want? Instead of clicking "Dislike" why not type a response or is that too difficult?

• June 23, 2015 at 17:56

@Bolland: my sentiments exactly, Bolland., why not share your knowledge and your opinion? dislike says nothing, instead of dislike say you disagree and give your reasons, that's healthy debate and you might even change the the mind of the person who wrote the post once you have had your say because you have posted some information that the poster was not previously aware of. Serial dislikers they're everywhere. Every time I see your name I get a mental picture of a guy in white shirt and shorts fuzzy hair banging the ball in the net from 25 yards. Gordon I believe was his Name. ;)

• June 23, 2015 at 18:27

@john H:

Yes, John, Gordon's name of one our better midfeild players who, I think I'm right in saying, never missed a penalty and scored some absolute crackers. I'd love to have a Gordon Bolland clone in our side now.

• June 23, 2015 at 09:39

Good ages, better than the 30+ year olds, hollow head was getting in this time last season !

• June 23, 2015 at 09:41

Good news. Archer has been with the squad so Neil knows what he can do and what his attitude is like, which from everything he says is very important to him, he is therefore less of a risk. Martin on the other hand seems to have had a checkered career, obviously the club can see something in him talent wise, but he also needs to 'fit in' with the squad so he has a season to fight for a permanent contract. Lets face it Hoyte was given a two year contract and look at the grief the board got from doing that. For my part I think the club have got it absolutely spot on If Martin becomes a world class player this year with teams beating a path to our door to sign him on a free then it is a mistake but he would have then given us a season of a world class player for very little money. If however he does the job, fits in we can offer him an extension.
    Now can't wait for dad Alvin to shout 'up the Lions'

• June 23, 2015 at 09:45

good news regarding Ryan Archer joining us on a two year deal. A little confused with the Joe Martin signing as when reading NB comments that he wants players who can play the ball out from the back and get forward and back is Joe capable of this? I cannot comment as I have never seen him play to be honest. I know his dad was a centre back many moons ago at West Ham. I did read mixed reviews on him from previous postings. Can anyone confirm if they have seen him play and is he any better than Malone, Briggs or Harding? This now leaves hopefully Mawson to sign and Hanson I suppose another one I am not sure about yes gives you another option balls in the air etc but 11 goals does not convince me he is a quality striker. We need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net.
    Anyhow not all doom and gloom just slightly concerned as the last 3 seasons have been pants and now playing in league 1 does not shower me with that much enthusiasm. However must remain optimistic we can make the play offs would be great.

• June 23, 2015 at 09:54

@markas:

Just have to trust Bomber on the Hanson issue as he's certainly got the fans back on board after the carrot crunching clown t*** - doh!

• June 23, 2015 at 10:25

@markas:
      Try and put a positive spin on Martin and Hanson for Ya,
      (Martin) first good height and built, basics first head it defend it protect the centre half a defending full backs not had one since jackett . If your not talking about a defender and they had a quite game 'perfect' .

(Hanson) first thing people look at is the goal column, but it's more then that, just looking at Bradford squad how many of them have 5 goals each? He makes the team score, adds steel to the shape he might no be someone you want to watch every week but them big battling games come and his always battling away, how many goals did Alexander score a season 10 or a 11 but he works for everyone if we get him it could be a blessing it could be a failure we might not even get him, but it will be a positive signing

• June 23, 2015 at 10:47

@Bush: When people go on about hanson only scoring 11goal's.they forget as you say he get's other's scoring,they also forget if he scored say 21 goal's a season we would not be able to afford him.Like you i am in a positive frame of mind about Hanson (if we get him that is) also it get's on my nerves when fan's are over critical before they see what a player can do for us,they have to remember we now have a manager who thinks our way so i wish these over critical fan's would calm down a bit and get behind NH and stop doing down any new potential signing .We have to give any new signing at least 10 games before any judgement is made.

• June 23, 2015 at 11:01

@jim1222: I agree. He has looked good when I have seen him. We have lacked a striker who can create space for others and bring them into the game. I think he will be particularly good for the likes of O'Brien, Upson, Williams, Fred. Being able to knock the ball up to a forward and having confidence in him that it will stick allows a teams midfield to join in the attack. I hope we get him. Good news about Archer; I'm reserving my judgement on Martin. As someone said previously, is he any better than what we've had in recent times???

• June 23, 2015 at 11:16

@jim1222:
          totally mate, lot of fans are turning in MOTD pundits when they offer opinions ( not calling you one mark)
          But all successful teams have grafters, his not a donkey because there is a art to being a good target man clearly Harris sees that but he must be good he smashed Chelsea, Sunderland and us in the Cup not on his own but he is the platform to good things, might even stick my neck out here he might show Marqis a thing or two or get him a few goals, because the boy have handle any player 1 v 1 but he lack of skill on the deck gets him tackled by the second man, we now have the players to battle for 90 mins just hope the season is not about long throws and corners but Harris was not the type of player for all that...

• June 23, 2015 at 10:10

Welcome aboard chaps.
    Very happy with archer signing got a feeling we have another very good keeper on our hands.
    Think chopper has done the right thing with Martin, he obviously feels he has something to offer but is reserving his judgement. He'll be a starter that's a certainty and if he does well then expect a 2yr extension to be offered in the new yr. Maybe we have a left back at under 21 level the club have high hopes for who maybe isn't quite ready but will be around the 1st team squad this season, if that's the case then a 1yr contract for Martin is more than enough and is the best deal for all if it was a problem then Martin wouldn't have signed and I'm sure his old man would have advised him not to sign.

• June 23, 2015 at 10:56

@lukesmithmfc: Hello luke,on the Martin deal,his old man is anti millwall,so it say's something about Joe that he has his own mind,as i am sure he know's his dad's view's.When he step's on the pitch for us he will have a big point to prove,so let's hope the fan's give him the chance to prove himself and we can put two finger's up to his old man Alvin.

• June 23, 2015 at 10:12

Great news IMO, if Hanson is done this week, then we must accept its what bomber wants, also if we get Mawson then getting our business done early will only help the squad gel so we can hit the floor running, well done bomber, in you sir we trust

• June 23, 2015 at 10:22

never seen any of these two play so will reserve judgement. Still think Neil's after another left bk otherwise Martin would of got the same deal as archer. But still nice to see we are starting to build a squad coyl.

• June 23, 2015 at 10:26

The jury's out for me on Martin, one year hmmm??

• June 23, 2015 at 10:31

Two solid signings, well done to Neil for his first ever signings. Archer signing has to be the end of Forde, I'd rather a young hungry keeper than Forde who let's face it has been well below his best the couple of seasons. I noticed that he's been dropped from the Republic of Ireland team recently, just a question,I thought Forde signed a extension to his contract last season,if so was it just for one season, I thought it was longer but obviously not if he's being allowed to leave on a free.

We needed a left back so hopefully Martin will be a good signing and make that role his own, regarding Hanson,I'm looking forward to him joining if as expected the deal goes through. I think he's being singed for his all round play especially with assists not just scoring goals.

Hanson and Gregory up front will prove a handful in league 1!

• June 23, 2015 at 11:09

Honestly, never seen either of them play so cant judge them on previous games, but from what I'm reading into the quotes then Martin cant be first choice LB, there must someone else coming in, either a Prem young loanee or better still 1 of our own pushing through.

I'm a little underwhelmed but time will tell, perhaps Ginger and Coco's signings have left me feeling pessimistic

• June 23, 2015 at 20:43

@brooker: I don't think anyone else is coming in at left back. Chopper has sung his praises about 'fitting in' and his ability to get up the flanks etc. The two players he also mentions that are coming in have to be a Centre half and a striker. Those two players have been mentioned on this site and apparently their signings are imminent. I have the utomsost failth in Chopper. Anyone who can cut the crap out of Millwall with one slash of the knife as he has done with those 18 players recently commands respect. I'm not aware of a single one of them being signed by anyone else which tells its own story. As for Forde, I have no idea what's going on anymore after Fulham offered him a contract but it was only for one year. He needs to go just to save us his wages.

• June 23, 2015 at 11:49

I think that there is a little gem that alot of managers seem to be missing there is a attacking midfielder at gillingham called bradley dack and he seems like a player that millwall could be looking for the guy won every award at gillingham

• June 23, 2015 at 11:52

i think that bradley dack would be a good signing/investment

• June 23, 2015 at 12:44

@thelionzboy100: I definitely like the look of Bradley Dack, noticed him when NAD were running the goal highlights for Marquis when he was scoring for the Gills. Dack had a hand in setting JM up a couple of times and scored a few himself. Seemed like a real tenacious midfielder and liked to get forward and attack. Young and would be a very good signing.

• June 23, 2015 at 11:56

Good work. Iv got a got a good feeling about Archer.

• June 23, 2015 at 12:17

the Forde situation is indicative of where we have gone wrong for too long with contracts - He gets a new contract for 'keeping us up' (cigar smoking with JB) Then when he contributes as much as anyone to our relegation, and he can leave ( like we are holding him back! ) Not that I mind if he goes - I would actively encourage it - too old and only going to get worse - no takers yet??? Hope Neil has the balls to start Archer and let us move on

• June 23, 2015 at 12:30

@timchimes: I really hope Forde is off, Tim. We could do with the cash we'll save on his undoubtedly large contract and I don't think I could stand another season of his gaffes

• June 23, 2015 at 12:28

@thelionzboy100: Bradley Dack is great. Made a lot of goals for Gills last season, including setting up Marquis's goals

• June 23, 2015 at 14:33

Congratulations on your first ever signings for Millwall Harris.
    Welcome to the Lions Den gents and good luck.

• June 23, 2015 at 14:52

@ LIONZBOY: on the subject of BRADLEY DACK I mentioned on here last season that he looked good in the marquis clips and maybe we should have a good look at him but several posters came on here and said they had seen him and reckoned he was crap really. I've only seen him on here but I agree with you,looks very decent to me, still if we have noticed him so have Harris and everyone else.

• June 23, 2015 at 16:53

Welcome 2our beloved MILLWALL good luck lads hope 4 the best COYL congratulations bomber 4 your first signings fingers cross 4 a couple more NOLU, WDC

• June 23, 2015 at 17:52

Hanson and Mawson to follow Thursday then we have a experienced CM to find and another LB

• June 23, 2015 at 17:53

@LENNIE THE LION : yes Len , good point

• June 23, 2015 at 17:56

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/sport/13347214.Eager_Oxford_United_to_miss_out_on_Alfie_Mawson/ 1 club out of the running

• June 23, 2015 at 18:49

• June 23, 2015 at 19:22

Found this on a Bradford website:

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Selling an irreplaceable player and then hoping we bring in someone successful is pie in the sky. Not only recent striker acquisitions taken into consideration but back through our recent history, VP is a strikers graveyard mainly.

With Hanson though, he is more than a CF, not just the defensive side but his whole presence. Some may not like the up n under style but it is that which has seen us have our best cup runs and results and also put us where we are now. In short, he'd be the last man in the club id want to sell

• June 23, 2015 at 19:44

The signings are welcome but am still frustrated by the fact that the club is only looking at free transfers, when are they actually going to shell out some money on buying a player? Maybe they could spend on a good striker even from a lower league club. Are we that broke? Well I know I am but I thought JB said they had money to spend.

• June 23, 2015 at 22:24

JB is very wealthy , has already bailed us out to the tune of 30 million, but I get frustrated also, I think if we do pay £500k for Hanson that is big bucks for a third division club.

• June 24, 2015 at 12:40

The Official Site says "At 22 Jordan Archer is a good acquisition who we had to work very hard to prise away from Spurs"

This site says "Archer also spent four years with Tottenham where he couldn’t break into the first team and had spells on loan at Wycombe and Northampton. He was released this month"

So was he released or did we have to prise him away ?