Millwall's Harris excited by League One fixture release

NEIL Harris says he can’t wait for next week’s Sky Bet League One fixture release.

But in a season with no London league derbies to look forward to and with Lions fans facing some long journeys north, the Millwall boss has one wish for the December period.

“I’m really looking forward to seeing what the start of the season is going to look like.”

“We always seem to get an away fixture so it would be nice to have a home game on Boxing Day,” Harris said. “But I’m sure, as ever, we’ll end up travelling somewhere like Peterborough and the fans will have to get up early and travel for a couple of hours, but we’ll see.”

“The local ones are the ones you look forward to and when there’s a big crowd it’s great for the players.

“There aren’t any really close trips but your Southends and your Colchesters, obviously, stand out and Gillingham is always a good one. It’ll be the local one this year so those sort of games will be key and we’ll have a good away following.

“Then you’ve the teams who will come down, the likes of Blackpool and Wigan, they’re going to be strong.”

Harris isn't worried about how the rest of the fixtures will fall but acknowledged that there is an element of luck involved in terms of potentially facing teams on a run of form.

“The league doesn’t really take shape until about 18 games in. You can be top after 10 games and then disappear, or you can start slowly and come strong at the end.

“There’s a lot of luck as well because if you’re catching teams when they’re not having a great run you’ve got a great chance of being in the top six.

“If you’re playing teams who are on a good run it’s really difficult.

“But I’m not fussed about who we play and when.”

Meanwhile, Millwall are one of the seeded sides for next Tuesday’s Capital One Cup first round draw.

In a busy week for fixture releases, the draw will take place the day before the League One provisional schedule for 2015-16 is announced.

The first round ties will commence on the week starting August 10, just three days after the beginning of the league campaign.

Teams will be split into two groups for the draw based on their north or south locations, so Millwall could potentially face Teddy Sheringham’s Stevenage, Portsmouth or Plymouth – in what would be rare trips south next season – or AFC Wimbledon who will all be among the unseeded southern sides.

The Lions beat Wycombe Wanderers in the first round last season before losing 2-0 to  Southampton  at The Den in the next round.

Unseeded teams:

Accrington Stanley, AFC Wimbledon, Barnet, Bristol Rovers, Burton Albion, Bury, Cambridge United, Carlisle United, Colchester United, Coventry City, Crawley Town, Crewe Alexandra, Dagenham & Redbridge, Doncaster Rovers, Exeter City, Hartlepool United, Leyton Orient, Luton Town, Mansfield Town, Morecambe, Newport County, Northampton Town, Notts County, Oldham Athletic, Oxford United, Plymouth Argyle, Port Vale, Portsmouth, Scunthorpe United, Shrewsbury Town, Southend United, Stevenage, Walsall, Wycombe Wanderers, Yeovil Town, York City.

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

31 thoughts on “Millwall's Harris excited by League One fixture release

• June 10, 2015 at 16:07

i hope the next posts are saying fred and jimmy have been definitely signed on the .....line and that we've got a left back, a striker and a goalie. let's not hang around the sooner the better!

• June 10, 2015 at 16:13

I wish i could stop looking at this site, these non stories are boring the crap out of me , what next ? " Plane to portugese training camp in ten munute delay shock "

• June 10, 2015 at 17:48

@thecolumbusblock: yeah but try and stop it!!! If you have Millwall in your virus its worse than crack cocaine!!!! COYL

• June 11, 2015 at 10:32

@thecolumbusblock: I agree, since Alex Aldridge left NAD to work in Millwall's player recruitment department **exclusive for you who didn't know** the articles have been less exclusive and more generic and typically non-story.... still can't help but look!

• June 10, 2015 at 16:15

How can anyone get excited about a season in league 1? If it were the Premiership or even the Championship again for sure I would be excited, but it seems the propaganda narrative is to forget that Millwall were relegated. There has been enough whitewash when are we going to see some new faces?

• June 10, 2015 at 16:31

@Peckhamlad: I just wanna see a winning team and over next 3 seasons get back to the championship with a winning team better than struggling again in a league we wasn't good enuff to stay in we've been relegated 9 times so nothing new

• June 10, 2015 at 20:21

@Peckhamlad:

If you only get excited about the premier league then maybe you support the wrong team.

• June 10, 2015 at 20:46

@longsuttonlion: There was a time long long ago when I believed that every team in the football league had a chance of getting into the top division and competing, I now believe that time has past mainly due to the foreign money and tv money feeding the top clubs. I do hope this does not apply to Millwall but well make your own mind up. Back then I longed for top flight football but I've mellowed a bit with age and become more realistic, don't get me wrong I'd love for us to be in the top flight but that aside a team that gives it's all as players like Barry Kithceher, Terry Hurlock Rhino, Harry Cripps to name but a few gave there all would be a good consolation prize for me. The parachute payments crazy but we wouldn't refuse them would we? Still begrudge other buggers getting them tho ;(

• June 10, 2015 at 16:23

Peckhamlad I totally agree we need new signings no way will we go up with all these youngsters and they are still unproven and even if a couple of them really make the grade not all of them will I think it's going to be a struggle again let's see what the bookies odds are just before the start of the new season if we don't make any good signings in there mid to late 20's to bolster the team

• June 10, 2015 at 16:40

We all these story's are to promote a happy better more positive millwallfc. So I'll read them all day. The results are what really matter in the end. But the pr is important to generate so feel good factor in a club that was heading down on and off the pitch. I look forward to following n Harris and our team. If it battles works hard and plays a little football. I for one will be smiling in a cold northern town. Nothing could be as bad as Bradford away last season in the cup I still have nightmares

• June 10, 2015 at 17:17

At the end of the day, being a Millwall fan is better than being a glory hunter at Man City etc. Regardless of what league we are in, I will follow Millwall up and down the land simply because there are no teams with a fanbase like ours. COYL.

• June 10, 2015 at 18:59

Can't wait for Oldham at home with Horatio, Aidan and maybe Fred - oh yes it could have been
    QPR at home - yep I am really excited and all you threaders who say you are looking forward to the new dawn in Div 1 need your brains tested. Now as training resumes shortly and we still have no set goalie, LB or new striker yep I really am excited. In fact I can't wait personally I wish we were still in the championships playing big teams with big gates and last as usual on the football league show.
    We have no chance of promotion fact and unless we get a good start mid bottom of the table beckons.
    More excited waiting for the next BGT or a weekly omnibus of Eastenders. Sorry I personally liked the championship and the next one up was the prem. Oh yes looking forward to Wall to play Southend yep bring it on can't wait. COYL

• June 10, 2015 at 19:13

players are now getting released from premier clubs.This is what NH has been waiting for.He must know good young players from these club from running the U21s.Otherwise without a lb gk and a good striker we will struggle

• June 10, 2015 at 19:41

@ MEKONGRIVER : you say " millwall will not get promoted fact" well you are wrong yet again, that is just your opinion, it's not a fact until it actually happens and it hasn't . I'm one of those who needs their brains tested according to you for daring to get exited about watching the team I've supported for donkeys years regardless of what division they are in, cos I am, I question your support and suggest you go to a club in a higher division, we may well not get there.

• June 10, 2015 at 20:05

What date does the season actually kick off?

Want to start looking at flight prices etc

• June 11, 2015 at 08:18

@Aaaup: I think the season starts on Saturday 8th August is what I have heard although I don't know how true that is.

• June 10, 2015 at 21:39

A bit of a non story sometimes no news is better than no news , like everyone else I want to hear Fred and Jimmy have signed and Bale has been seen in surrey Quays looking at houses .

• June 11, 2015 at 06:45

Cant wait 4 a few more players 2 come 2 our beloved MILLWALL and 2 the new grass and 4 the season 2 stat cant bloody wail COYL NOLU WDC

• June 11, 2015 at 06:46

Cant wait 4 a few more players 2 come 2 our beloved MILLWALL and 2 see the new grass and 4 the season 2 start cant bloody wail COYL NOLU WDC

• June 11, 2015 at 11:49

if at any stage next season we stand near top of league 1 that means we have 2 divisions below us and 2 above us in number teams of roughly speaking which in turn means we are middle of the road and last season being at the bottom end of the the championship again 2 divisions above and 2 below again middle of the road , so league position wise we would still be around 46th best professional team in the country we were consistently positioned near the top of league 1 Not bad. Have you ever read so much twaddle ;) Got to have a giggle now and then. :)

• June 12, 2015 at 15:59

@dave666: Millwall fans are well known for their sense of humor and by golly you need one if your a Millwall wouldn't you say Dave? We are the Millwall and we are the 46th best we are the Millwall so, you know the rest. :)