Millwall manager: I would give Forde move away my blessing

©
©

NEIL Harris says he wouldn't begrudge David Forde a move away from the club, should the goalkeeper want one.

The Irish international has been linked with a number of Championship clubs after it was revealed he has a free transfer clause in his contract.

And the Millwall manager has said if he moves on it will be with his blessings, but hasn’t ruled out the 35-year-old staying with the Lions.

“David is away with Ireland at the moment,” Harris said. “He has aspirations to be Ireland’s number one, and rightly so, he’s a top goalkeeper.

“Any player who has an opportunity to play at the highest level, for their country or in the Premier League or the Championship, and can get that opportunity, we wouldn't begrudge him that.

“The player’s situation is pretty clear: if he is to move on to enhance his international credentials, we are quite happy with that.

“On the flip side, however, if he doesn’t and he stays, we get to keep a top goalkeeper. Nothing is happening at the moment. It’s a pretty relaxed situation for all of us.”

In terms of players joining the club, Harris says he is hopeful Millwall will have some fresh faces in their team by the time the squad reassemble for pre-season.

The Lions return to training on June 25 and, while Harris wouldn’t be drawn on reported targets, he said work on acquiring priority players was going “really well”.

“Things are moving and progressing nicely,” Harris continued. “As ever, as I’m finding, things aren’t happening overnight.

“Gone are the days when you could speak to clubs and players and get things done in a week. Now things take a lot longer.

“At this time, people disappear on holiday so players, agents, other managers you need to speak to, things just seem to take time.”

“We’ve got priority targets where things are progressing nicely.

“Hopefully by the time we get back to pre-season training there will be one, two or three in the building, with one or two to follow during pre-season.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

33 thoughts on “Millwall manager: I would give Forde move away my blessing

• June 11, 2015 at 08:09

Taxi for Ford can't wait to hear who we are signing but we have to make it happen don't won't to hear who we went for and missed out on we need some positive signings to really kick start us in Div 1 we must get of to a good start to get the crowds back behind a winning team

• June 11, 2015 at 08:33

FREE TRANSFER CLAUSE??
    I'd rather keep him...

• June 11, 2015 at 08:40

@ettieneverveer: not our choice player holds the aces I per don't care either way he has been average at best all be it with a clown manager and a crap defence for me time to change fresh blood between the sticks

• June 11, 2015 at 10:54

@ettieneverveer: People underestimate how difficult and expensive it would be to find a replacement for Fordey that can perform at his level, sure he didn't have a great season in 2014/2015 but none of our squad did. Give him a proper defence in front of him and he can turn it on again. We would be very fortunate to keep him.

• June 11, 2015 at 08:34

Welcome to the world of football where greedy players and agents wait for the best deals and biggest clubs they can attract. Last time with fordes new contact he stalled to possibly the last minute hoping for a bigger club to come in for him. It's a buyers market where money talks. That's why players playing for one club is rare. Only the youth and a few like Harris Jimmy dunne are loyal to the club we will get our usel mix of mersanarys like the wage theifs we got rid off. So I'd rather players who wanna wear the shirt. But no club will ever have a squad like that. But this season we have enuff loyal youth a. Loyal legend in Harris. Fitzgerald totally committed in our academy. And a few loyal fans. what possibly could go wrong. FOR ONCE in pre season I'm a optimistic happy lion. In millwallfc we love in Harris we trust

• June 11, 2015 at 14:37

@dave666: Is it greedy to want to continue playing football at the highest level possible? especially if it impacts a possible chance of playing in the European Championships for Ireland ! You talk about players that have been loyal ! - what good did that do Dunne this summer, should loyalty not work both ways ? Had Harris not been struck down by Cancer and carried on scoring goals in the championship and then a big move came his way, do you not think he would have gone ?

• June 11, 2015 at 15:09

@Steve loyalty does work both ways but as for dunne he just wasn't good enuff in the end that's a fact I respect dunne but his time had come.as for Harris you present a hyperfetical argument the fact is he was struck down by cancer FACT we will never know the answer to your question would he have stayed who knows Steve as for forde wanting to play for Ireland good luck to him. My personal opinion is forde is not been at his best for a while I except under poor management and defence. But his distribution at time poor rushed kicked out of play his cross stopping leaves a lot to be desired. He makes some great saves but equally some dam right embarrassing misses that cost us. I'm all for giving forde whatever he wants stay or go but I go to most games home/away and that's only my opinion of what I see

• June 11, 2015 at 08:38

It seems with quite a lot of people on this site think that one crap half to a season eradicates all of the good times he's had at the club, but i for one would like to wish him the very best of luck for the future and hope to see him at the euros next year

• June 11, 2015 at 09:03

@mfclions: Agree with you,having a back four that changed every game does not help think a change for both is needed good luck to him

• June 11, 2015 at 08:59

Best thing to hear is Harris stating “We’ve got priority targets where things are progressing nicely." Getting his priority targets will hopefully mean the best quality we are capable of getting/wanting, wouldn't be surprised to Hanson coming in. Think he would do very well for us alongside Gregory and O'Brien.

• June 11, 2015 at 09:14

To be honest don't think forde is hard to replace a decent shot stopper but dodgy on crosses don't think he will be missed too much

• June 11, 2015 at 09:26

Tons of respect for Fordey, but I would like to see a new face between the posts. Someone else deserves a go in my opinion.

• June 11, 2015 at 09:30

I for one think Neil is just right not jumping in like coco did to wage thiefs we are now in div 1 and we need players who have done well in this div and more I am not sure about Hanson having only seen him once but do feel at times we do need a target man where we can change the game where needed

• June 11, 2015 at 09:34

To be honest Forde has been poor for a couple of seasons now I seem to remember all this talk of other clubs the last time around and then nothing if he was that good he would be gone already, but I also wish him well he has been a big part of the club and its good times but I think now is a good time for a change .

• June 11, 2015 at 09:43

'The Irish international has been linked with a number of Championship clubs after it was revealed that he has a free transfer clause in his contract'.
    If this is how we do business, no wonder we're losing money hand over fist.
    How the f*** can you give a player a contract, but have a clause in it saying he can leave on a free should he want to. Makes no sense to me what so ever.

• June 11, 2015 at 09:48

@Syd the Lion: as a international player forde was well within his rights to ask for one it's the same in all clubs with internationals player before club stinks buts fact

• June 11, 2015 at 10:29

@Syd the Lion: We gave him a 3-year deal, bigger wages to stay and he negotiated a clause in the contract that he can leave on a free ONLY if we was relegated.

He was a very good keeper for us at times, kept us up a few season back but think we could use the big wages he is on to sign another good keeper and still have change left over.

• June 11, 2015 at 10:16

I would like to see him stay but if he goes good luck to him. I blame the two circus acts we had as managers if u don't want to get the best out of your keeper then keep changing the defence what a
    Pair of c****.

• June 11, 2015 at 10:28

Don't think it was our last two managers he was poor in both play off finals letting ball under body against scunny just as good keepers out there but not as big headed

• June 11, 2015 at 10:45

Interest talk from other championship clubs yep and my name is Billy Bunter all that is - agent talk.
    Forde is on a good contract probably on Championship wages anyway definitely not good enough for the prem - he is getting on would you move - cushy time at Wall beckons if you ask me - but nobody asks me anyway. As Mulder said the truth is out there but it could have been Scully. More to the point get some proper advertising on the outside of the ground so the millions of daily commuters on the train can see it when they look out of the window - and make some money to help pay for Fordey's wages. BE LUCKY. Oh for a Stepney!!!!!!!!!!!

• June 11, 2015 at 10:56

Whoever negotiated fordes contract is a buffoon.We are left with a player on the downward slope holding every ace in the pack.I think he may stay as the likes of Fulham will be looking at him as a no.2

• June 11, 2015 at 12:24

I am a little supprised that a lot of response for a young keeper ( Archer ) who we have never seen play at first team level to replace an experienced keeper as our new custodian between the sticks. If David Forde was not your cup of tea and he moves on then let us replace him with an experienced keeper to much reliance on youth may sound fine but the reality is that we need a combernation of both as I am sure Neil Harris Knows Full well

• June 11, 2015 at 13:27

@tomharris41: Tom I respect you're opinion.but where did fuller fatty fletcher dunne last season all older pros to name but a few I'll tell you with clown head relegated I'm not blaming it all on them it's a team game but obrien youth worked his socks off Nelsinho battled his heart out philpot scored a goal first touch. This is why the wall fans are excited niel knows them players better than anyone. Of course we need experience. But I'd pay to watch them young lions any day mate. That's why we trust Harris archer for me all day long

• June 11, 2015 at 17:34

@dave666: Dave the great thing with this game we love is it allows all who follow it an opinion and I am sure if we could take the best parts of both of ours we would have a good season,the one thing I am confident of is that we are all looking forward to next season

• June 11, 2015 at 18:36

@tomharris41: Tom Thats right mate it is only opinions mine are no better than anyone elses I'm just pasonate about millwall like you no better no worse. I enjoy everyone's comments opinions sad I know

• June 11, 2015 at 13:45

He time is up at MILLWALL hopefully he move on he dead wood best of luck if u do go david he has been poor 4 the last couple of year's COYL NOLU, WDC

• June 11, 2015 at 17:20

I think Harris is basically saying.... Fordy nobody has come in for you mate.... Winde your neck in, realise your in next years squad and take your wage cut.... Nobody's bigger than our club especially Forde.

COYL

• June 11, 2015 at 17:21

@JONO: may I also add Forde should not be guaranteed a start even if he does stay.... He was poor last season.

• June 11, 2015 at 17:24

I thnk the people who are asking why we agreed to a free transfer clause in his contract need to take a reality check. Most fans at the end of the 2013-14 season wanted Forde re-signed (I wasn't one of them, but there you go). He was never going to sign for us unless he got a long contract and a clause that said he could go if we went down. Replacing him would have been costly, with a signing-on fee and possibly a transfer fee, so even though I do not think Forde is a good keeper, I do understand why they looked at it and said 'you know, what give him the deal, better the devil you know and it will save us a fortune if he stays'. As I say, I do not agree he is a good keeper any more, so I wouldn't have done it, but I'm not responsible for the money.

• June 11, 2015 at 17:37

Another fk up by coco about free yransfwr clause get rid and get archer in as spurs hsve let him go

• June 15, 2015 at 16:42

Fordey is a lovely man but a truly shocking keeper. We HAVE to get him out the door NOW...

• June 20, 2015 at 15:58

and like Neil Harris Fordey has my blessing to leave our building...