Harris hopeful Abdou’s Millwall future confirmed next week

JIMMY Abdou’s Millwall future should be confirmed by the end of next week, Neil Harris has revealed.

The Lions midfielder is due to put pen to paper on a new deal when he arrives back from international duty with the Comoros Islands at the end of the week.

And Harris believes the 30-year-old is happy to commit his future to Millwall.

“Jimmy is away with the Comoros Islands at the moment.

“Jimmy is really happy and I'm sure as soon as he gets back in the country next week we will tie down the loose ends and by the end of that week Jimmy will be committed to the club for the foreseeable future.

“He's been a big part of this club over a period of time and not only has he got a lot to offer on and off the pitch, he's a physical and fit midfield player.

“He knows the club inside-out, young and old players respect him. He's a player that doesn't lead vocally, but he leads by example and that’s the type of player we need in the dressing room.”

Meanwhile, Harris also revealed contracts talks with Fred Onyedinma are nearing conclusion, with the Lions boss hopeful an announcement can be made before the start of pre-season training.

“We are a long way down the line with Fred and his representatives,” Harris added. “He's all happy, he loves playing for the cub and he has had a successful loan period.

“Hopefully that’s something that should be finalised sooner rather than later.

“Fred's been away with his family and he is still away, so hopefully that be finalised in and around the start of pre-season.

"He's happy and is a player who will have a massive part to play in what we want to achieve next year.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

48 thoughts on “Harris hopeful Abdou’s Millwall future confirmed next week

• June 9, 2015 at 12:39

And when he signs please make him Captain.
    He leads by example.

• June 9, 2015 at 12:47

@wall2wall: spot on can't think of anyone better. Why not have a poll on here come on wall who do u think. Coyl

• June 9, 2015 at 13:05

@wall2wall: I certainly wouldn't make him captain. As mentioned in this post, he doesn't lead vocally. That being said, he is a true legend and definitely deserves to be starting the majority of games next season.

• June 9, 2015 at 12:42

Please sign Jimmy
    got the one of the best attitudes out there
    doesn't stop running
    wears his heart on his sleeve
    MILLLLLLLLLL

• June 9, 2015 at 12:52

Jimmy will sign and his name should be the first name on the team sheet every week He NEVER gives up real wall legend.

COYL.

• June 11, 2015 at 17:04

@benzo: don't forget Fred couldn't get into League 2 Wycombe's team at the end of last season

• June 9, 2015 at 13:32

Have we only got one sodding pen to go round.ffs these players should of signed weeks ago..but we'll getting the same old tithering ...if you want to play for us .just f****** sign..w****** the lot of them

• June 9, 2015 at 18:46

@Jim28: well said Jim. Get these players signed early,don't let their contracts run lost. They either want to wear a Millwall shirt or not.

• June 9, 2015 at 20:11

@Jim28: make ya so right jim.makes you think all these players think there to good for the wall

• June 9, 2015 at 13:48

Harris has already spoke to jimmys agent he is signing as for Fred I'm sure he was waiting for a offer that's what I think let's remember football is a funny game. Will take time to get to full strength Harris is learning as he goes on. I'm 100/percent behind him just get it right is all I ask

• June 9, 2015 at 14:12

Jimmy goal against Leeds in the Play-Offs was spine tingling even now and that absolute bullet header against Wigan was another one of those moments! Hopefully there will be many more of those for you and the fans in the new season mate!

• June 9, 2015 at 14:12

There's a lot of people saying abdou should t be captain but no one is offering a alternative let's hear who gets your vote & why. Coyl

• June 9, 2015 at 14:26

@block 28: could be talking bollo'"s but I think Sid is in with a shout. Total Wall and he likes to put it about. I can see a lot of Robbo inhim. Just a thought!

• June 9, 2015 at 14:45

@block 28:
      I would give it to Upson.
      Quality player,good football brain,likes to put in a tackle,not a moaner & whinger & just gets on with it.
      I think he is going to be a big player for us this season & i think it will make him an even better player by giving him the chance that I think he deserves.

• June 9, 2015 at 20:16

@block 28: if he was still here it be bailey.only two candidates upson,williams or as NH said somebody new

• June 9, 2015 at 14:44

too early for Sid even though the clown did make him captain already.
    From the current team we actually have I'd say Williams or Upson (purely based on position) as i believe CB's or CM make the best captains on the pitch.
    Personally I think we will sign a new player who will be our captain next season, so look out for solid centre midfielders about 27 year old with captain potential to be joining the ranks.

• June 9, 2015 at 14:52

Jimmy deserves to be captain but i dont think it will happen,Sid has all the qualities and no doubt will captain the side sometime in the future not ready yet,,
    I think we will bring in someone vastly experienced to help guide the youngies who has a voice and captain qualities,, JMO

COYL.

• June 9, 2015 at 15:01

Jimmy is one of my all time favourite Wall players but I don't think he is captain material and I think Sid will one day be our captain but maybe now is a bit to soon , to be honest none of our current squad jump out at me as a captain .

• June 9, 2015 at 15:17

All very boring , bring back coco to liven it all up

• June 9, 2015 at 15:20

Captain Jimmy I tell you.
    He walks the walk.
    Lots of people can shout and talk on a football pitch. Doesn't make you a natural leader.
    We all love Jimmy because we all identify with him because he gives everything for the cause.
    I would love to see him leading Millwall out onto the pitch every game.
    Proper Wall. Proper choice for me.

• June 9, 2015 at 15:36

I can see a bit of Robbo in Sid but he is too young, I would give it to Jimmy or Williams who should be the CM partnership COYL

• June 9, 2015 at 15:39

My choice for captain would be Mark Beevers, need someone with a bit of experience and to be vocal. No doubting Jimmy would lead by example but you do need that voice to talk you through each game especially when our team is going to be inexperienced.

• June 9, 2015 at 16:09

@Jimmy Abdous Hip: got to be jimmy all day long..if harris wants to implement the never say die attitude he will need a captain that can get this out of the team..you dont have to be blessed with skill to be captain..

• June 9, 2015 at 17:36

Look at the passion in the geezers face, he means it and I think he knows this club inside out now. He'll be instrumental in keeping the young squad focused and passionate because he knows what is wanted by the fans by now, and plays his role well. Might not be the best footballer but his service to the club, his consistency and his experience will be invaluable in the coming years and deserve fair reward.

• June 9, 2015 at 17:37

Heres to Jimmy signing a two year contract and BREAKING NEWS our new captain will be TC Tony Craig who is cummin back home Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

• June 9, 2015 at 17:38

When there was this rumour about Tony Craig returning to the Den I thought he would solve two problems in one. An experienced left back plus an ex captain at Brentford. He seems to have been around for ever but is still only 30. I was therefore a bit disappointed when we signed Joe Martin who the seems to be mixed opinions about from Gillingham fans. If he stays I would I would make Beevers captain with Williams or Upson as the alternative choice depending on which of them gains a regular place in the team assuming Jimmy will be one of the first choice midfielders

• June 10, 2015 at 11:34

@denslions: from what I hear the money isn't right for TC at the moment, maybe an improved offer will get him

• June 9, 2015 at 17:42

I think Jimmy is a good shout. The fans love him, he is total Millwall and let's be honest a captain only has to choose what end they want to kick into in the first half. I have always thought that you should have eleven 'captains' on the pitch all talking to each other with regards to who is picking up who when we do not have the ball and the designated player just has to lead by example and encourage other around him and in that respect no one better than Jimmy, might actually make him a better player with that responsibility. The other side of the coin is someone who shouts and screams at players when it is going wrong, crowd love that sort of emotion, but I am not too sure it does any good for the players getting the verbal on the pitch.

• June 9, 2015 at 17:46

I agree Jimmy is a true Lion never gives up 110% every game he plays, he may well make a great captain but would being captain compromise his game? it has been known that after being made captain some players performances aren't quite the same, I'm not saying this would happen to Jimmy but I think he puts so much into every game, would he have any more in the tank? would we be asking a little bit too much from a player that already gives his all? His high tempo full commitment style of play may not lend it's self to the extra duties of being captain. Wouldn't want to lose our little dynamo. Love him to bits.

• June 9, 2015 at 18:24

ABDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...
    TRUE PROFESSIONAL AND A VERY NICE PERSON - great news for all.
    Were you on Malta they won 2-0 brill.
    Bet on the German Women World Cup to win all their games to nil single bets.
    Be lucky. regards Mekong.

• June 9, 2015 at 22:16

Positive Jimmy will sign a deal, also would love to see him with the armband on! Just seen Tom Pope has moved to Bury for a free, he's 29 but has been banging the goals in league one for port vale! Would of loved to see him in a Millwall shirt!

• June 10, 2015 at 09:53

I love jimmys commitment hard work attitude but the only thing for me is his passing is not the best I believe a captin should also be a good player so for that reason I would not want jimmy as captain but still love him as a person. I don't see a captain in our curant squad Nelson maybe one for the future I like defenders as captains they lead from the back so let's hope he brings in a strong centre back to lead the way

• June 10, 2015 at 13:22

imo we have a strong centre back who would be our perfect captain, especially in this division, and thats Webster !.

• June 10, 2015 at 16:42

@dave666: I dont think he was given a chance by the other bloke, not many were, and he was played a couple of times in a back 3, and we know what happened then, still i was pleased that Harris kept him, and confidence is so important i hope we give him a try. I know its great having young Nelson etc, but a smaller, stronger squad with a bit of quality is whats required and its seems Harris knows that.

• June 10, 2015 at 17:05

@rowanonthewing7: I agree with all you say and your points are valid Im glad he stayed I'm not knocking Webster he does deserve a place in our club. I'm just saying not as captain for me. I'm sure Harris knows he needs to recruit a captain in well will see

• June 10, 2015 at 17:15

@dave666: yes i see your point, one of holloways many mistakes was making Dunne skipper, i'm not knocking Dunne, but it forced his hand when picking our back 4 on many occasions. imo of course. i've tried to bloody wind down from this site but find i keep looking just in case there are any updates, !!!! i should know better at my age ha ha ha .

• June 10, 2015 at 19:25

@rowanonthewing7: I agree with what u say about dunne a great servant but one season to many. Harris is picking his team. Will play his way. I'm just happy to see so many useless lazy overpaid players go next month will be here in no time don't panic see how we play go from there is a sensible approach . I don't want rush knee jerk signings. We have time to plan find improve