Millwall's Harris opts to extend Den playing surface

IMG_7411 (1)

THE pitch at The Den will be six metres longer than it was last season as maintenance work continues in preparation for the start of the Sky Bet League One campaign.

Last season, Ian Holloway preferred a tighter playing area in which to implement his game plan.

But after consultation between the ground staff and manager Neil Harris and his assistant Dave Livermore, the decision was reached to  increase the pitch length to 106 metres for next season.

Head groundsman Dave Bradbury-Shaw has been planning for the 2015-16 season since January with director Trevor Keyse, who has personally funded much of the maintenance and equipment upgrades in his eight years at the club.

“When this stadium was built the pitch (pictured, above, being reseeded) was based on the old Wembley stadium,” Bradbury-Shaw explained. “It’s a big area, the size of the old Wembley pitch.

“You’re only allowed to change the pitch measurements in the closed season, you can’t change it in the playing season. I gave the manager the options, what’s minimum and maximum.

“When Neil was a player here the pitch used to be 106 metres and then it was reduced. Different managers prefer smaller pitches. When Kenny (Jackett) was the manager he had it 105 metres. We decided to go with 106 metres, three extra each side.

“The club secretary then sends the pitch measurements off to the FA and they can’t be changed until next season.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

31 thoughts on “Millwall's Harris opts to extend Den playing surface

• June 4, 2015 at 10:13

Sorry. But couldn't read past Holloway and implementing his game plan due to tears of laughter hahaha

• June 4, 2015 at 10:27

It ain't the size it's what u do omit that matters. As for mentioning holloways name. He should never be aloud near a football pitch unsupervised. Or without the correct medication

• June 4, 2015 at 10:33

Knock the ground down rebulid it in sidcup and double the crowds overnight

• June 4, 2015 at 12:26

@thecolumbusblock:
      I'll take the bait here colombusblock.
      Millwall are a South East London club. If they ever moved out to Kent they would cease to be my beloved club.
      I'd have to spend the rest of my life as a football widow.
      Praying that it never happens.

• June 4, 2015 at 19:21

@brooker: London Borough of Sidcup mm new one on me would it be the 33rd Borough? Traveling down the A2 as I do from time to time I pass through the London Boroughs of Southwark, Lewisham, Greenwich and Bexley then into kent. Deptford and Bermondsey if you want to include those two now defunct boroughs, there could be more who knows?

• June 4, 2015 at 13:37

Im originally from Greenwich but now live in Kent lets hope the Lions playing in Kent never happens also if you live in Bexley and cant be bothered to travel to the Den then maybe Millwalls not the club for them @wall2wall:

• June 4, 2015 at 13:54

@wall2wall: actually we're an east london club ! I know we crossed the river many years ago but i think the a2 will be a bigger hurdle

• June 4, 2015 at 16:02

@thecolumbusblock:
          Yes we are originally mate. I stand corrected but my whole life they have been within walking distance to where I live.
          I agree the A2 hurdle will be a bigger obstacle to cross thank god.

• June 4, 2015 at 10:46

COYL more room 2 do your skills and f*** that clown he dont no anythink about football all he knows is volleyball the c***

• June 4, 2015 at 10:54

As the bishop said to the actress...
    Never mind the quality, feel the width !

• June 4, 2015 at 10:58

If Harris continues to do the exact opposite to everything Holloway implemented at this club I for one will be truly happy...

COYL.

• June 4, 2015 at 11:05

@MIGHTY: ifpeople have to mention his name just use coco or clown..or just plain c***

• June 4, 2015 at 12:22

@Jim28: HI jim your post sound,s like a 60s pop group,not the three degree's but the three Cs.with one big C being lead singer and back up vocal's.

• June 4, 2015 at 12:24

@Jim28: my name is coco and come from the West Country...I managed teams for 25p...some for a pound and some for a bob, but it just turns out that I a stupid kn@b!! (Use coco pops tune)

• June 4, 2015 at 12:55

Don't know about 6 metres longer need to make the goals shorter if Forde stays. Anyway forget the grass keep it as sand and mine the opponents half before the match about the only chance Wall have of getting points next season. ALL CHANGE CREWE STATION ALIGHT HERE FOR CREWE MILLWALL SUPPORTERS FOLLOW THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD TO THE GROUND. When the sand needs replacing instead of importing from Dubai can get good quality sand from Southend and Bomber must have some contacts there. As the pre match team talk Bomber can show the film March or Die about the Foreign Legion yes sounds good to me - what do u fink???????

• June 4, 2015 at 16:22

Making the pitch bigger means the opposing players will be that little bit closer to us fans,can't wait!

• June 4, 2015 at 16:53

as soon as I read that, that's exactly what I thought, get closer to the stands for more intimidation/support. also means they'll be running more so a good pre-season with lots off stamina building.

didnt mention the width unless i missed that line out, playing 4-4-2 with wingers will benefit from extra width.

• June 4, 2015 at 18:22

Interesting to know that the pitch dimensions was originally based on the old Wembley, never knew that. So what are the official pitch dimensions for next season? Wikipedia gives the ground size in yards and then in feet but those conversion measurements don't seem to add up... Just curious to know?

• June 4, 2015 at 18:33

Like someone else said if it's different to what Holloway did then I am all for it.

• June 5, 2015 at 19:29

still only 32 London Boroughs does Sidcup come under the London borough of Bexley? Doesn't really matter all Millwall fans that's what counts I'm just curious that's all. :)