Millwall's Ambler to discuss transfer targets in Portugal

© Edmund Boyden
© Edmund Boyden

MILLWALL chief executive Andy Ambler will use this week’s Football League AGM in Portugal to speak with club directors about potential summer recruits.

Deals for a left-back and keeper, expected to be Jordan Archer, are close, while the hunt for a striker continues.

“It’s always an opportunity to sit down and do some business if we can and generally see where people are with their players,” Ambler said.

One of those targets is likely to be Bradford City striker James Hanson.

The Lions had a bid for the 27-year-old turned down last month and the clubs are believed to be some way off in their valuation of a player who scored 11 goals last season.

Any potential further negotiations for Hanson are complicated by the takeover situation at Bradford. Former Queens Park Rangers chairman Gianni Paladini had been expected to take over, but those talks broke down and he withdrew his interest.

A club statement this week confirmed joint-chairmen Julian Rhodes and Mark Lawn would continue in charge while investment is sought.

Ambler said: “I’ll be speaking with the club again this week when I meet up with them in Portugal.

“I think there’s been complications at their end as well with the takeover and what have you.

“Ultimately, we’ve got various targets for that position. If one doesn’t come off we’ll move to the next one and the next one.

“Neil (Harris) is pretty relaxed about that. He knows the type of player he wants. We’ll put our own value on each of the players and see where we get.”

Ambler also expects Jimmy Abdou and Fred Onyedinma to follow Aiden O’Brien and Sid Nelson in committing their futures to the club.

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

70 thoughts on “Millwall's Ambler to discuss transfer targets in Portugal

• June 2, 2015 at 10:26

I remember the same story from last year...

And what did it produce?

Answers on a postcard!

• June 2, 2015 at 10:42

Pity Ambler cant be kept out of transfer targets,he knows nothing, pity really he hasn't left the club.

• June 2, 2015 at 10:52

@Peckhamlad: does N.H. not have to sanction any transfer targets? or would A.A. with the chairman's approval be able to by pass N.H.?

• June 2, 2015 at 11:08

@john H: manager always has the last word on transfers..unless there's no managet in place at the time..thats why before ginge came in and out we gave contracts to some s*** players

• June 2, 2015 at 17:14

@Jim28: with Hanson on the radar it looks like we are sticking true to form on s*** players jim. Next up for the wage thieves Ffs

• June 2, 2015 at 10:56

@Peckhamlad: both posts are absolutely true ..his big success was hoyte.but what fo we know how to run a club or what goes on behind closed doors..lol

• June 2, 2015 at 10:57

James Hanson 6ft 4 inch tall scores around between 10 to 13 goals a season not much better than marquis archer has probley already agreed to sign for us I can't believe ambler and Harris ain't aiming abit higher for a striker i think for what he will cost Hanson wages etc where better of seeing how are boys do till January if all your trying is Hanson

• June 2, 2015 at 13:42

@lukesmithmfc: then don't buy anyone I can't see Hanson as the answer for the money we would spend no rush get the right player

• June 2, 2015 at 14:40

@dave666: totally agree dave. Shame about philpot looks like a good poacher to me

• June 2, 2015 at 12:01

@dave666: Agree, do we really need another slowcoach up front?, I rather a very pacy young forward in the Posse/Weller mode.

• June 2, 2015 at 13:13

@Peckhamlad: not in this division Peckhamlad - in this division we are a big team where others will try and park the bus etc - we wont be hitting many on the break, so i can completely understand the idea of going for a big lump! not sure if he's the one mind you!

• June 2, 2015 at 13:53

@lancslion: if teams park the bus we need quick pass and move not lumping balls totally wrong aproch how many times last season did we try to lump balls forward to fuller or that Austrian prat only to have it straight back in our half get out of that type of football or we will fail again this season young ball players decent pros rright blend

• June 2, 2015 at 15:48

@lancslion: please please please no more lumps total failures football brains like obrien all day long if I have to watch enougher millwallfc useless lump I'm gonna lose it

• June 2, 2015 at 13:39

@Peckhamlad: my point exactly if we are going to play this fast flowing football Hansen ain't our man all it says to me is pump long ball to big slow player

• June 2, 2015 at 18:18

People forget about the virtually unknown Paul moody who was the same height and older and played with the then novice Neil Harris. I think this would be a great signing for lee Gregory. I just think we are missing a leader on the pitch one that has a voice.

• June 2, 2015 at 11:13

Dont get hanson totally s*** and 4 how much they want is ridiculous we can get someone much better I say smith from Swindon or pope from portvale or reid from Plymouth much cheaper and faster and totally better then Hanson COYL dont get him 11 goals a season is s*** out of 46 games come on it a joke COYL NOLU, WDC-

• June 2, 2015 at 12:46

@I fear no foe:

I thought this at first but when you dig a bit deeper his stats for league and cup last season are;

27 year old - same age as Lee Gregory, I thought he was a lot older
      11 goals
      7 assists
      36 shots on goal, 35 on target - 1 hit woodwork
      65 fouls - 3 yellow cards no reds

Last time we were in league one Gary Alexander had similar stats and you definitely need a big man up front not just to score goals but link play and have the nippy forward to run off.

• June 2, 2015 at 11:51

The way Hanson is portrayed in the articles on this website is like he is the answer to all our problems since Chris Wood didn't sign. I think we need an out and out poacher, not a target man, or there will be a lot of pressure on Gregory to score 25+ (all comps) next season, and if he doesn't hit the ground running I fear people might get on his back and shatter his confidence.

• June 2, 2015 at 12:16

@dobbers22: dobber i do not think we have to worry about gregs confidence,i think he has grown in confidence and ability since signing for us,in particular coming back from a penalty miss and then slamming two in against Derby,two very well taken penalties
      Also NH has already made it clear that gregs has his full support and thinks their is a lot more to come from him,as do i.
      But i do know what you mean when you say some fan's could get on his back if thing's do not go well from the start as we have seen it all before,when some poster's on here were having a pop at him without taking into consideration that it is a massive step up from non-league to championship.
      I personally think he has done well and if he hit's the ground running at the start of the season i can see him doing really well for us.

• June 2, 2015 at 13:31

@jim1222: got to agree with you on Gregs jim. I had this out with a mate last night who basically said he was s***. But the way he finished the season shows the amount of hard work he has put in and the the huge step up from non league to championship it can't be easy but I believe if you have the ability and are prepared to do the graft then you'll be rewarded. I think he'll have a decent season next season, 15 to 20 goals, I think will be a good return.
        As for a poacher who knows where the goal is I reckon we already have one in philpot just a shame he got injured. I wouldn't be surprised if we struggle to get the striker harris needs and young Alfie pavey gets a lot more game time.
        Time will tell I hope we don't end up like pompey who had no choice but to throw the kids in and get punished for it.

• June 2, 2015 at 16:46

@lukesmithmfc: Couldn't agree more with you both about Greggs, my point is more about Hanson. Don't get me wrong, good player, we have heard how we will be at the top end in regards to budget, and we need one more striker, would rather see the money spent elsewhere as Bradford seem to be demanding a lot.

• June 2, 2015 at 13:48

@dobbers22: totally agree with every word we need a fox in the box not a lump I hate lumps waste of time and money

• June 2, 2015 at 18:40

He is no Chris wood we are in a lower division and have to set are standards slightly lower and as for a goal poacher that's what i would class Gregory and o'brein as we definitely need a target man.

• June 2, 2015 at 18:52

@sdd: it's not our standard I question its the type of player we need

• June 2, 2015 at 18:57

I think on this one the miwall family is split but we all can agree on one thing we all want our millwall to head in the right direction I resp all opinions we only all comment cos we care

• June 2, 2015 at 23:04

@dave666: excellent comment dave! Wish there was more of that and less "I'm right your wrong" on here

• June 2, 2015 at 11:58

I know this is a silly question,but why does the English football league have their agm in portugal ?.
    Could it be that a certain Ian Holloway is the guy who has arranged it?,as he has a love of the country.
    In posting this i am looking for some witty replies ,so come on mekongriver excel yourself with this one.

• June 2, 2015 at 12:03

I read that Liverpool are interested in David Marshall of Cardiff,as it has already been rumoured that Cardiff are interested in Forde ,could it be that Cardiff will be replacing one David with another David.
    Who know's ?.

• June 2, 2015 at 12:29

I thought the club was trying to save money sounds like an excuse for a jolly up to me also most business deals these days are started via email or a telephone conversation you don't need an all expenses paid trip to talk about an average striker like Hanson , sorry but Greggs got 9 goals played half a season and jumped up a few leagues im not impressed.
    Seems to me we would be replacing the Hoff with another tall lanky average striker its actually hard to believe the man that brought us Agent Lomas and co co the clown is still at our club at all after all football is a results business and I think JB you can do a lot better than Ambler but for some strange reason your sticking by him .

• June 2, 2015 at 17:28

@mfc2u: it's not a Millwall trip but the AGM of the Football league. We have to remember what type of club we are and what our budget is. Hanson will be a different player to the other forwards, and who knows, if he gets decent service, might be top scorer in Lge 1 next year.

• June 3, 2015 at 23:15

I know its a AGM meeting my point was I hate the fact that he has wasted a shed load of money in recent times and that a club in our financial position still somehow feels the need to keep him ,im sure we could do better Steve Coppell was mentioned a while back I would prefer him . As for Hanson he doesn't do it for me im afraid you may possibly be right he is a different option to what we already have I personally would love to see Adam le fonder but I doubt he will come down a division unfortunately . @beedoscores:

• June 2, 2015 at 12:33

I have just seen the Dave Livermore interview on millwall website,came across full of commen sense and knowing where the management team are taking us.[no baking of cakes or such like].
    Also andy frampton is joining the team,which hopefully seem's to be a tight knit group that look as though they know what direction we are going.
    here is hoping we can get off to a good start and have a good season.

• June 2, 2015 at 16:00

@jim1222: well they must be doing something right.seeing s/tickets sales are up this year

• June 2, 2015 at 12:53

Amber: "We’ll put our own value on each of the players and see where we get” It doesn't work like that. The SELLING club puts the valuation on their player, and if want that player enough we pay it.

• June 2, 2015 at 14:49

If you think that Gregory is going to score 25 goals then we need to win 20 odd penalties. O'Brien great football brain and will get goals but needs a quick or big striker alongside him, Gregory is neither. Come Ambler get a young quick striker who might actually score goals and stretch defences and when he proves to good for us sell him for a few million ( a few about over the last few years Gray Wilson Gayle even bloody Grabban!!)
    I hope if we don't buy another striker then he starts Marquis and Aiden at least there is scope to improve over the next couple of years how much more improvement are we going to get out of a 27 year old Gregory? If I can just remind people that if Gregory had scored even half the absolute sitters he missed last year we would still be in the Championship!!

• June 2, 2015 at 15:14

@Kinet: their are some good points you raise but I would like to remind every millwallfc supporter that we can't judge Gregory or obrien last season it was a absolute joke under holloway never knew his best team changed every game look at Bradford away In the cup I was there a total embarasment so I would rather we all judge next season clean slate after that we cut acordenly

• June 2, 2015 at 17:21

@Kinet: @<a href="#comment@Kinet: please do not tell me Marquis is better than Gregory!!!.
      I am fully behinh Harris ,but one mistake was resigning Marquis.He just aint good enough.Gregory worked his socks off in a poor team last year and towards the end of the season he formed a good partnership with O;Brien,when has Marquis ever looked half decent,probably one game , tbh in cup v villa few years back-he is slow,and not good enough in the air as a target man.Maybe Harris can work his magic with him,but i will be shocked if he can.Just because he scored a few goals for gillingham does not make him a good player-he was here for years and had many oppurtunities.Unlike O brien who you can see has talent.
      gregory will get 20 goals this season if he stays fit,regardless of where we will end.

• June 2, 2015 at 17:33

@foresthill: I'm prepared to give marquis a chance I like you agree on gregs Harris likes jm lets see if he can get him scoring only on one year deal worth a try

• June 2, 2015 at 19:03

I don't Rate marquis but he will try harder then fuller and that overweight Taylor. I thought sadlier was a pile of s**t when he first started slow couldn't win a header but all of a sudden he came on leaps and bounds maybe he won't be that good but in a division which is weaker then last year he could do a job. Give him a chance but still need another striker

• June 2, 2015 at 17:33

@Kinet: If you cannot see the improvement gregory has made you must be blind.
      Get off the kid's back,when that pillock Holloway played him as a lone striker for most of his games,then pushed him out wide to accomadate Fuller(niether way of playing by holloway was gregorys game) what do you expect from the boy.
      When they started to play gregs and O'brien together the movement was there and gregory started to improve,also morrison and harris took a season to find their feet and they came from non-leage to a lower div not the championship,gregory has made a bigger leap than those two so instead of knocking him let's judge him on the coming season.

• June 2, 2015 at 21:31

@Kinet: to be fare to Gregs he got f***** about quite a lot under ollie. Whenever he started to show any form he got dropped and left out the side for a couple games. He came from a team that played 442 in non league into a championship team that played 1 up front, he was also the main man with a team based around him playing to his strengths.
      Can't deny his effort and improvement under harris at end of season, a couple pens or not a goal is a goal. He's come from a couple hundred worshipping the ground he walks on into a team with 8 to 10k that are doing s*** and shouting dogs abuse at him , I say fare play to him for stronging it out and coming to form. He looks like he's settled and excepted his responsibility to the team and harris obviously likes him which can only benefit us. He'll do alright mate. There was an awful lot worse in our team last season and some that really deserved the abuse fingers crossed that can be left behind with last season.

• June 2, 2015 at 17:20

"Deals for a left-back and keeper, expected to be Jordan Archer, are close"
    So who is the left back anyone ? thats the way the article reads to me !
    As for Hanson, if we get him i really don't know how he would turn out playing for us, but i would take him cos I'm struggling to think who we can afford !
    Proven strikers cost big bucks which we aint got !

• June 2, 2015 at 17:27

expect to see forde go.archer in as replacement
    And possibly webster or beevers to follow.

left back to come in,and a target man,

personally would like to see williams at the back,with 1 other centre half-probably nelson.
    cummins at rb,with edwards a possibility-if he recovers from injury.
    jimmy and upson in centre-with powell and thompson on the bench
    martin and cowan hall wide with fred in reserve
    gregory and o brien up front competing with new experienced striker
    expect top half finish,better at home,a lot of passion and togetherness and hopefuly a platform for following season

• June 2, 2015 at 19:32

@foresthill:

are you sure , Williams and Nelson at the back , both under 6 foot to deal with L1 long ball and set pieces

• June 2, 2015 at 18:41

Just a quick one - for all of you knocking Greggs - the other bit of news today can be a bit of a pointer !
    Who can ever forget Andy Frampton's first few months with us - I will remind you he was just awful.
    But he never moaned about the dogs abuse that he recieved he just took it on the chin worked hard and kept his head down and turned into a totally different and excellent defender and leader and deserved his place in the team. As Mike Galvin said in his book he became one of the most respected people in the squad ... and how we loved his committed style of no nonsense Millwall type of play. Give Greggs a chance he has earnt it full stop. I find the comparison of Hanson/Moody interesting because I for one was not impressed by the Moody signing at the time ....oh how wrong we are to judge some players after one season ... even though some are just ... well lets just say you can't polish a turd and Greggs is not one.

• June 2, 2015 at 19:01

@n3lion: brilliant n3lion i am sure gregory is going to make all his knocker's eat their word's

• June 2, 2015 at 18:45

Not a big fan of Hanson,would rather Morison back. Love him or hate him Bomber would get his attitude right and he would get 15 puls in L1.

• June 2, 2015 at 19:04

Interesting reading and some more than familiar names:

• June 2, 2015 at 20:43

Id like to see fuller and taylor- fletcher up front, with hoff and easter sitting in behind

• June 2, 2015 at 21:28

Millwall – Nicky Bailey, Matthew Briggs, Dylan Casey, Richard Chaplow, Alan Dunne, Carlos Edwards, Sofiane El-Bekri, Ricardo Fuller, Denzel Gerrar, Jake Goodman, Magaye Gueye, Justin Hoyte, Stefan Maierhofer, Angel Martinez, Danny Shittu, Josh Siafa, Callum Webb, Martyn Woolford

my top 3 wastes of money
    1. Hoyte
    2. Martinez
    3. Briggs

• June 3, 2015 at 22:20

@timchimes: I read through your list and honestly thought to myself we would not miss anyone of those players on the pitch as things stand.

Shame for dunney as he bleeds blue and for the mountain that is shittu.

The only two on that list that knew what wall were about.

• June 2, 2015 at 22:24

Horses for courses, some games and halves we may need a big lump on the pitch to make something, as long as it is a plan b option.
    We don't have one of those so we do need one when we need to mix it up, but as said if it for a plan b we really don't want to bust the budget on him

• June 2, 2015 at 22:30

F off Ambler, once & for all. You have too much to say without actually saying anything. You'd fit in well at FIFA!