Harris and Sheringham meet as Millwall set Stevenage date

© Actionplus
© Actionplus

MILLWALL have confirmed they will play Stevenage in a friendly at the Lamex Stadium on July 25.

It is the second year in a row the sides meet in pre-season after last year’s 2-2 draw and comes a week after the trip to AFC Wimbledon.

There will be an added air of anticipation this year with former Lions striker Teddy Sheringham in the Stevenage dugout.

The former England striker took on his first managerial role when he was appointed Stevenage boss last week having been West Ham’s attacking coach under Sam Allardyce.

Sheringham, 49, held Millwall’s all-time scoring record until it was broken by Neil Harris in 2009.

Stevenage finished sixth in League Two last season but were beaten by Southend in the play-offs.

Kick-off will be at 3pm and Millwall have also confirmed that tickets will only be available on the gate.

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

64 thoughts on “Harris and Sheringham meet as Millwall set Stevenage date

• May 29, 2015 at 17:21

At least they didn't put a picture, up of that MUG in a lions shirt. make sure we don't loss this one HARRIS. Treat it like a final.

• May 29, 2015 at 19:54

@Simon Donnelly:
      Teddy done nothing wrong at our club. Came up through the ranks , was a major part of the best Millwall team ever , we got relegated 2 years after top flight football , he stuck around and scored 38 goals the next season then furthered his career.
      For me , that record and his career deserve nothing but total and utter respect.

• May 30, 2015 at 01:00

@Block 8: In the season after Teddy left for Forest I was lucky enough to be able to get to reserve games at the old Den. On several occasions Sheringham was there on the terrace watching the reserve team. Despite everything that followed, I believe he has a real affinity for Millwall. He deserves respect for what he did for Millwall

• May 30, 2015 at 15:21

@Block 8: all I'm saying block 8, there was a time teddy said if you cut him open he would have blue blood... Then when we wanted him back as a player/coach he opted for west ham, and then said how he grew up supporting them. The frazzled is full of s**t in my eyes. Trust me I loved him to bits in till that come out of his mouth.

• May 29, 2015 at 17:22

I hope Teddy gets the proper respect he deserves. Despite all the Judas nonsense from a minority, he's still the greatest player to have ever worn a Millwall shirt and did us proud through some great years.

• May 29, 2015 at 17:27

@Micky Lions: totally agree Micky , our greatest ever player but I suppose the usual idiots will crawl out of the woodwork to s*** him off .

• May 29, 2015 at 17:31

@Micky Lions: Well said Micky, loved watching Teddy play and be part of getting us to the old first division

• May 30, 2015 at 13:59

@scottwall: we wouldn't have got promo to the then top flight with out Teddy you can't expect a player to turn down the chance to climb the career ladder and he turned up for Christmas dinner with the legends. The answer to your question, Scottwall is serial dislikers ;)

• May 29, 2015 at 18:22

@Micky Lions: Well said,a Millwall Legend and went on to prove what a great player he was.

• May 30, 2015 at 12:17

@Micky Lions: incorrect statement I'm afraid, millwall's greatest
      player was Charlie Hurley voted Millwall player of the century. Nobody has ever come near him, he
      Went on to become sunderland's greatest player afterwards.

• May 30, 2015 at 14:21

Quite right Telboy! You lot on here going on bout the younger crowd not understanding because they didn't see him play, well how about you lot that are saying Teddy was our best ever? I'm guessing you never saw Hurley then, or Cripps. Both miles ahead of Teddy as players. Stepney as well! He won a European Cup did he not? Even Hurley who was in the same team was a much better footballer! Then there's Timmy Cahill as well.

You lot should think before you slate people on here. Teddy got what was coming to him because of the way he conducts himself off the pitch i.e. claiming to be a boyhood fan of every single team he's ever signed for! No one is slating him based on his Millwall career! Too many high-and-mighty's on here for my liking. We don't owe him any respect. We're the fans. We pay their wages. He did his job and he did it well while he was here, but we're still here when he's gone, and if we choose to give him stick then he can just deal with it. We can't all lick his a*** just because you lot (who's first ever games was probably when he was peaking for us) tell us to!

• May 30, 2015 at 16:01

@alpha_dogg: I dont think people are licking his a***, just saying they thought he was a great player for us. Its all about opinions, Cahill was great also but played in a different position to Sheringham so you cant say he was better and he won a European cup did he not?

• May 30, 2015 at 18:32

@alpha_dogg:
          Ok look - I saw Charlie Hurley and Harry. They were both excellent players in their different ways. I also saw Keith Weller and Jackie Harmer (who had more natural talent than any of the others. But the idea that they were all "miles better as players" than Teddy is obvious nonsense. There's a school of thought on here that thinks being prepared to try and run through a brick wall makes somebody a great player. It doesn't - never has done and never will.

OTOH Alex Stepney was the best goalie we have ever had and probably the second best I've ever seen down here - I remember seeing Shilton at the old Den in a Cup game and he was unbelievable, saving them single handed - the git

• May 30, 2015 at 18:45

@The Humble One: Was at that game also and Shilton was outstanding,we were jumping up to celebrate a goal and this hand would appear from no where and save it. He took some stick as well. Firstly with Shilton is a w. anker which he turned to the CBL and clapped then a chorus of Shilton f. ucks his mother, rightly so he took offence and with his hands gestured to us to leave it out but it was all done with respect just the Millwall way.

• May 30, 2015 at 19:21

@The Humble One: for anyone to say Cripps was better than Sheringham is delusional, I'm still laughing. Weller was my boyhood hero, and teddy was different class. There are many great players over the years, and all deserve our respect and support

• May 31, 2015 at 02:47

@The Humble One: Teddy was the best and first of the new breed of footballer for us.... Most of the others were excellent in their prime but let's have it right, the fitness levels, tactical and positioning of the new breed are totally different.... George Best for example would be run off the park by Ronaldo or Bale.... Quality in his era but would never make the United first team nowadays

• May 29, 2015 at 17:35

COYL let show them who we are millllllllllwallllllllll NOLU, WDC let batter them

• May 29, 2015 at 18:25

Yep lets have lots of friendlies so all our players can get long term injuries which seems to happen so often however with Bomber/Chopper/Chats/Guvnor/Boss/Shrimpie things might change he'll get the players to have no shin pads and socks at ankle height to stave off injury. Anyway not Real Madrid at the Den then like Bournemouth had - what is it no one likes us or somefink????? Mind you Napoli away would be a good friendly. Forza Napoli!!!!!!!!

• May 29, 2015 at 18:45

Teddy a lions legend, but who is his boyhood team today, WHU or Spurs?

• May 29, 2015 at 19:39

@dpendet: so what about kitch,hurlock and rhino all supported the vermin but without doubt proper wall players.
      Did you ever sing teddy's name and thought he was one of our best players before he moved to forrest? I most certainly did.
      Can't argue that the blokes a knob but for what he contributed to our club I can forgive him for the vermin half of him, especially as he played and admitted he supports em long after he left us.
      And most players came out with toot like he did when signing for new clubs back then.

• May 29, 2015 at 19:58

@dpendet: Stevenage, I'm sure he said that when he took over.
      "Been a Stevenage supporter all my life"

• May 29, 2015 at 20:50

@brooker: lol Booker!
        Lukesmith never heard them players say they supported them clubs like teddy did, and you support one club as a fan,

• May 29, 2015 at 19:43

Ooh, I look forward to the banter should be a cracking atmosphere
    Can't wait

• May 29, 2015 at 20:01

I can see why people would give him stick for the vermin part of his career, but when he wore a blue shirt he was great, and again for England he made shearer.

Personally I preferred Cascarino back in the day.

• May 29, 2015 at 22:53

I watched Teddy play before he signed for Millwall's youth team, Bob Pearson Millwall's chief scout was next to me and told me he wanted to sign him. A lot of clubs were after him including the then first division but he chose Millwall. He made himself with us and became a real professional.
    I would have liked him to join Millwall in some capacity just for his experience. All this stupid rubbish about West Ham from people who don't know Teddy is laughable. If only we had a few like him now.

• May 30, 2015 at 13:53

@Peckhamlad: Exactly. His record and and performances for Millwall don't even need defending. I was fortunate enough to see most of his games and goals for Millwall - from the third division up to the top flight. But its 24 years since he left and I guess there's a lot of younger fans who just don't know any better.

• May 30, 2015 at 03:06

How about a vote from the young and old, two millwall legends, which would you like to see up front? Thumb up for teddy thumb down for bomber, comment for the ideal partnership :)

• May 30, 2015 at 14:25

@DanmillwallB: Harris was brilliant but Ted was world class, I loved his header against the anoraks at selhurst,not many players do things like that,very cute and we stuffed them 3-0,mind you when dont we beat the woolwich gypos.

• May 30, 2015 at 03:34

The most successful Millwall youth product ever... Won the league, Cups and Champions League.... Fired us into the Top Flight, kept us up and stayed a season after relegation and scored another 30 + goals.

Ohhhhh teddy teddyyyyyyy teddy teddy teddy sheringhammmmmmmmmm

Deserves respect in my eyes, during the game give him stick but before and after i will clap him.

COYL

• May 30, 2015 at 09:24

What about a touch line tear up?

Who do you fancy?

• May 30, 2015 at 13:35

Don't remember Ted ever having a pop at us just because he doesn't support us who cares. He was great for us. End of.

• May 30, 2015 at 15:00

• May 30, 2015 at 15:01

Two new managers will be interesting I will be pleased to see teddy as long as in this game he is on the losing side I hope marquis gets a hat trick to silence the moaners and jimmys in a blue shirt come on you lions hurry up july

• May 30, 2015 at 16:28

Most of you lot just dont get it...no ones doubting Teddy as a player for us...but do you seriously believe Theirry Henry would come out now an profess to being a life long yid...? Would Stevie Gerrard say now thats hes always been a lifelong evertonian...? Not in a million years...but all u muggy melts on here can excuse teddy for gushing about them scum from the eastend...inexcusable...unforfgiveable.

• May 30, 2015 at 16:50

@Hurlocksgonnagetya: I dont remember him gushing about that mob from the east end,just he went there a few times when he was a kid with his brother. Spurs were his team when he had the choice. Gerrard admitted he owned a utd shirt when he was a kid but the bin dippers love him.

• May 31, 2015 at 20:12

You must have missed the Football Focus that he was on when he signed for west ham. He was wet for 'em! Going on about remembering how he used to sit in some certain area of the ground as a boy (he then randomly pointed at an area of the ground), he was almost welling up. He then got asked what his best memory was as a kid and replied when they won the cup in 1980, an event that any football fan would recall. It was all very ambiguous, with forced emotions. He's not all there in the head, the way he needs to be loved unconditionally by every fan of every club he's ever signed for. He's a bit like one of those blokes that tells every girl that's ever kissed them that they're "the one"! Great footballer but ain't got time for bellends like that.

• May 30, 2015 at 17:02

ted never had blistering pace but oh what a clever football brain an excellent free kick taker who obviously worked on beckham.ted a legend oh teddy teddy.teddy teddy teddy sheringham.going are you?

• May 30, 2015 at 18:38

@millwallbuilder: teddy was a great for us! Seems I' m in the middle loved teddy when he played for us and still looked at the score sheet for his name after he left! But got uncles and my dad telling me Cripps is the best thing to come out of the den, closely followed by kitchen! But watch nearly every game teddy, cas, hurlock, rhino played for us and loved them for their heart in a blue shirt! Watched bomber and thought he was great! Different times give rose tinted glasses! All these players gave 100% to Millwall and still think they are all great,but let's get behind this new dawn to see those glory days again! COYL, FEA, lion til I die!

• May 31, 2015 at 00:20

Every lion has his place, we all pay on the gate and that's the fans opinion. I grew up in a later age and didn't see some of the millwall legends, but to me a legend has to be a player a fan takes to heart, that's the millwall way... rhino was always class, but in my opinion due to first memories, a tackle from Ben thatcher was the millwall way, you could hear his tackles a mile away. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but to me a millwall legend..that's what makes us milllll.

• May 31, 2015 at 01:29

@berks_lion: You have hit the nail on the head,to me a legend is someone who give's 100% when he pull's the shirt on,i could name many that did this for us and i don't care where he came from or who he went to as long as he did it for us that is all that matter's.
      Cripp's,Kitch,are the two that stand out,Harry was the slowest right footed left back in the business,lurch was also lacking in pace at times but both gave far more than should have been expected of them.
      Steve Claridge was another ,here was a man of many club's a real journeyman but whatever team he played for he gave his all.
      We all have our view's on what constitutes a legend,my view is no matter what skill level a player is at,if he give's his all then he is in the running to be called a legend,and Sheringham is one of them.

• May 31, 2015 at 02:40

@jim1222: yes your right mate.... My first games as a young lion I remember Teddy coming out of the tunnel and watching every kick as he warmed up, he always had a big smile on his face and most of all had time for the fans.... Great player for us

• June 1, 2015 at 08:42

@jim1222:
        I think Barry had a fair bit more class - when you think Larry blooming Lloyd won quite a few medals and even played for England the bloke could have gone a fair way somewhere else. Also I can't recall him ever being taken to the cleaners - not even when he was a lad making his debut up at Birmingham. OTOH I still recall Harry meeting up with the 16 year old Trevor Francis up there - for most of the game he couldn't manage to foul the wee snot let alone tackle him. But then it was only the following game that Harry was playing his heart out at QPR totally undeterred by that roasting.

• May 31, 2015 at 13:16

@jim1222: You are bang on right, I cannot understand why people drone on about where players came from or where they went or what they said - when what matters is what they did when they were here. And Teddy Sheringham did wonders when he was here. He would be one of the first names on any Millwall greatest ever team list - if made up of footballers not triers.

• May 31, 2015 at 13:36

Just thinking about putting Sheringham on a greatest ever team list - has this been discussed? I never saw Hurley play but I did see Harry Cripps put in a shift and Barry Kitchener in his prime - but when I thought about the best players I could remember almost all made their name and were sold on.
    If you wanted speed and steel this lot would do the job:
    Stepney, Cunningham, Kitchener, Neill, Thatcher, Weller, Rae, Hurlock, Cahill, Sheringham, Possee

• May 31, 2015 at 14:17

@Jzero: No Harris? Obviously Harris never played in the top tier but he would have done if not for his illness which he fort and back as our all time scorer.

I wouldn't have Cunningham, or Thatcher in a greatest team and is Neil Lunas? Because I wouldn't have him either.

It's all about opinions, Each supporter is different, on the subject of Teddy,he was a great player for us who left and went on to achieve huge things in the game that other than Cahill no Millwall player in recent years if at all has done.

It'll be good to see Harris and Teddy up against each other, I wouldn't rule out Teddy retuning to the Den possibly at some point although let's hope Harris is successful for many years to come.

• June 1, 2015 at 08:33

@Jzero: @Jzero:
      I also have doubts about the back four. For instance no Cooper or Burnett?

• May 31, 2015 at 16:06

I personally don't care who he supported as a boy one of our best young prospects and a possible future captain Sid Nelson played and I understand supported Wet Spam what matters to me is what they do or did in a millwall shirt .
    And as for all the legends names that are being mentioned what short memories you all have no mention what so ever of Danny N Guessan ...... Shame On You All

• May 31, 2015 at 18:53

. King
    Rhino. Kitchener. Lawrence Dawes.
    Hill. Hurlock. Cahill. reid.
    Sheringham. Harris.

• June 1, 2015 at 06:52

@jim1222: teddy is no legend had about 3 good seasons then jogged on..there is one millwall player who always stood out..gordon hill a brilliant shooter of a ball from any distance normally on the volley..as for his skill he made oppo players look like mugs..2nd place has to be cahill.teddy comes very low on my list

• June 1, 2015 at 08:06

The thing about Teddy is that he was a consummate professional, and his loyalty was with whichever team was paying his wages. There is nothing wrong with that, and he was the best player I ever saw in a Millwall shirt in my lifetime, no question. Do I think of him as a legendary club man, no, but was he a fantastic footballer who gave his all in a Millwall shirt, yes. People need to stop expecting professional footballers to love their club, it's very rare and how many players of Teddy's quality are born in our catchment area, answer: almost none.

• June 1, 2015 at 20:13

@The Humble One: I did have Cooper in but took him out for Neill, I thought it was a t*** up between the two. Reid or Rae in midfield is another tricky one. I thought Sheringham's brain and Possee's mobility would be a great forward combination, especially backed up by Weller (so long as he does not turn up in tights again!) and Cahill. Harris would always find the goal though and his case is undoubted, he's just not as quick as I (perhaps mistakenly?) remember Derek Possee.