Marquis: Chopper key in decision to extend Millwall deal

JOHN Marquis says he wants to prove to Millwall fans that his experiences while out on loan have made him a better player.

The Lewishan-born striker this week signed a new one-year deal with the Lions with the possibility of a further 12-month extension.

Marquis, 23, has spent time at Portsmouth, Torquay, Northampton and Cheltenham and enjoyed the most productive spell of his career at Gillingham last season where he scored eight goals in 18 starts in League One.

“It hasn’t been just the Gillingham experience,” he said. “It’s all the loans I’ve had. I’ve learnt what I’m good at and obviously the game time has been important as well.

“I feel that I can contribute. I want to show everyone that I have improved and I can help get the goals that can get us back into the Championship.”

Marquis will go on a break from today and when he gets back is looking forward to working with manager Neil Harris, who he believes will push his development further.

He said: “Chopper was a massive influence in the decision. I feel he can get the best out of me as a player.

“I’m really excited to get the deal done and get back on the training ground with the boys to get ready for the new season.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

34 thoughts on “Marquis: Chopper key in decision to extend Millwall deal

• May 29, 2015 at 08:44

Hope he realises that it's not chopper any longer but the Boss, would be silly to allow the players talk to him like he's still one of them.

• May 29, 2015 at 08:44

Good luck John, sign some quality were getting bored with the same news written in different ways let's move on NAD

• May 29, 2015 at 09:13

Welcome back J.M . You sound like your loan period has served you well.There is encouraging confidence in your own approach to next season and personally I look forward to seeing you back and fighting to stake your claim.

• May 29, 2015 at 09:21

There seems to be a lot of doom and gloom around this signing on previous posts.
    Give the kid a chance, His been brought through our youth and played with all the youngsters that are coming through, This could actually work really well.

• May 29, 2015 at 09:28

I have never been a big fan of JM,but he has most certainly improved with his loan spell's gillingham in particular,so it's 100% behind JM so as to give him the confidence to carry on where he left off at gillingham.

• May 29, 2015 at 09:35

Good luck next season Marquis.
    I always appreciated your efforts and also thought that you have enough about you to do well with us especially as you are young and still developing.
    Harris obviously feels the same so I hope we all get behind you and don't moan at the first thing you do wrong.
    Looking forward to seeing you score at least 15 goals next season if you get enough game time.

• May 29, 2015 at 09:43

last chance saloon for marquis now! i obviously hope you can prove it this season coming.

• May 29, 2015 at 09:46

SO many fans over the last season have criticised him . I rate him if you look at the goals that he scored while he was playing for us he was always in the right place at the right time a poacher those of you old enough to remember Jimmy Greaves or Roger Hunt both goal poachers J M has that sence ,he has certainally added other diamentions to his game if you look at the goals he scored when he was on loan to other clubs paticullary at GILLINGHAM he is physical and has learnt to hold a ball he has never been given a chance or a decent run at Millwall in the past But I believe he has won his spurs at Gillingham Well done . BOMER has made a good decission in extending his contract in that we have a player who wants to play and prove himself to MILLWALL not like some of the past signings ( wage theives ) good luck John

• May 29, 2015 at 09:56

@OTIS: i agree the fans never gave the lad the support to build his confidence unlike gregs who got plenty lets hope the supporters warm to him in future.

• May 29, 2015 at 09:57

@OTIS: totally agree, what surprised me about his Gillingham goals, was that a few came from him running at the defense. That would never have happened during his previous spells in our first team and shows he is growing his confidence and all round game. I am intrigued to see what sort of player we have here, I think it's a mistake to think of him as a target man when he seems to have more to him than that.

• May 29, 2015 at 09:54

At only 23, he is still learnign his game, but I for one am glad he's back. I reckon he will score more goals for us than Fred will next season. That's not a criticism of Fred, he is young and developing, I just feel that JM is ready now for first team football.

• May 29, 2015 at 10:21

Good luck JM for next season.think youll be fine COYL!!!

• May 29, 2015 at 10:29

When he first played for us he did look like one for the future. Then he went backwards mainly due to lack of game time but he's got his confidence back after his loan with the pikeys he's South London through & through good luck mate 15 goals would do. Coyl

• May 29, 2015 at 14:39

@Omer Ronayne: Chopper was a pint-sized cheating thug that played for chelsea. Bomber Harris was a brave focused individual, reliable and loyal to his cause. Bomber not Chopper!

• May 29, 2015 at 11:03

always rated him not the most skillful player but knows where the goal is and his commitment is faultless..
    "good luck m8ty"

• May 29, 2015 at 11:30

The way I see it .. Last season Fred was scoring, JM scoring and encouraging signs towards the end of the season from O'brien, Gregory and Philpot. We also have Cowan Hall who was a highly popular player who notched a few goals himself before coming here. Add a bit of experience up there and I think our attack looks hungry, young and energetic. Looking forward to next season massively!!

• May 29, 2015 at 11:43

Best of luck john prove me wrong pls COYL NOLU, WDC

• May 29, 2015 at 12:15

Marquis has knocked villa out the f.a cup for millwall....Fred can't say he's done anything along them lines

• May 29, 2015 at 14:26

@HERMAN:
      So what ? Fred's played a handful of games for us and is nearly 6 years younger than marquis? Both are still young, with potential to improve. What's your point?

• May 29, 2015 at 18:54

@82wall: marquis has played against better opposition and marquis was young against villa also villa are in f.a cup final tomorrow lol really I ain't knocking Fred but marquis was never given a good run of games and sending him out on loan has not necessarily improved him if millwall hadn't played has beens all the time and given these lads a go and show there talents.....Fred is totally different position so can't compare really but just comparing what they have been up against and marquis has dug deep and stuck at it and still commited after so many loans...fair play to him and hope he has a blinder

• May 29, 2015 at 12:27

With enough games under his belt this boy will be our new Richard Sadlier...mark my words.

• May 29, 2015 at 12:41

Was abit disappointed he signed again BUT i really really hope he proves me wrong! Clean slate jonnyboy

• May 29, 2015 at 12:59

Can't say he's my cup of tea but NH is no fool and he will be looking for results from him in terms of goals from the off
    So let's give him a chance and let's not forget that memorable goal he scored against Aston Villa in the cup
    It won't be Roses all the way next season so let's start of on a positive note

• May 29, 2015 at 14:25

There's a old saying if you aint got any thing good to say .dont say anything..so i wont

• May 29, 2015 at 15:15

When we played southampton last year jm he caused them lots of problems hollow gave him / younster a chance yes i agree could be lets hope another Sadlier

• May 29, 2015 at 15:20

Gills fans seem fairly disappointed to lose out..

• May 29, 2015 at 16:06

He could have took the easy way out and run off to the Gills where he was given a fair chance done good and was well liked
    But chose to stay and fight for his place at the club he loves.
    I might be wrong but i was under the impression thats exactly the type of player we want here....

• May 29, 2015 at 18:56

I have to be honest I wasn't that fussed either way but I hope he can carry on what he was doing at the Gills maybe this time the difference will be a better run of games ,which to be fair he never really had in the past . He obviously loves the club so fair play for staying I just hope he can repay Bombers faith in him .

• May 29, 2015 at 23:02

I've stuck up for jm in the past and I've written him off before, however how many people have considered before his young and up and coming but playing with people just as poor and were expecting him to perform. That's like getting the dog and ducks reserve forward to play well with the leagues lowest goal scorers, his meant to be the one learning

• May 30, 2015 at 16:53

i am sure john you have a big part to play and being a LOCAL LAD who can defeme that good on you.

• May 31, 2015 at 10:10

Well it makes sense to have him back seeing as we are going the youth way.
    When he played for us in the past he was never the best striker in the world but he never gave up and kept on going something Harris use to say about himself and look what he did for us.
    I am quite excited about next season and can't wait for it to start.
    although I'm not expecting us to storm the league, I am expecting a good solid season.
    come on you lionnnnnnnns.