Millwall boost as trio set to commit futures to club

MILLWALL'S long-term plans are set to be boosted by the news that three of the club’s most promising players are expected to sign new deals.

Aiden O’Brien, Sid Nelson and Fred Onyedinma all look set to commit their futures to the club as Neil Harris puts his faith in youth.

O’Brien, 21, partnered Lee Gregory up front towards the end of last season and scored his first league goals for the club at Brentford and Wolves.

Eighteen-year-old Onyedinma has just returned to Millwall after a loan spell at Wycombe Wanderers, for whom he scored eight goals, and was on the bench for their League Two playoff final defeat to Southend United on Saturday.

Nelson, 19, was a fixture in manager Harris’s defence for the last 10 games of the season and has already shown signs of his uncompromising style, receiving a straight red card against Reading in January.

Harris, who formerly coached the club’s under-21 side, has previously expressed his trust in the young players and is eager to establish a healthy product line from the academy.

The news is a strong indication of the direction he wants to take the club and of the philosophy he wants to create as he shapes his squad for next season.

The Lions are also waiting to hear back from midfielder Jimmy Abdou and striker John Marquis, who have also been offered new deals.

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

52 thoughts on “Millwall boost as trio set to commit futures to club

• May 26, 2015 at 08:25

Interesting Marquis has not been named?!?!

• May 26, 2015 at 21:03

@Millwallsteve: somebody tell me if Harris is about the youth so much then why release Jake Goodman I've travelled a few times to see him play and watched him on the tele against Liverpool and he's looked very good so can any one tell me his reasoning when it's going to cost proper money to get someone in!

• May 26, 2015 at 08:27

Haha, just read the last sentence!
    Today's the day.

• May 26, 2015 at 08:31

@Millwallsteve: yeah i am very interested to see what sort of player he will be for us next season. This is last chance saloon for JM at Millwall but I do actually believe the kid is good enough and we have definitely not seen him reach anywhere near his full potential yet.

• May 26, 2015 at 08:46

The fact they have offered JM a contract secures a fee for the club should he choose to go elsewhere being as he's still under 24, it will lessen the his choice of clubs if they have to stump up a fee.

• May 26, 2015 at 09:20

great news to actually hear we're signing the youngsters on perm deals! be great to hear jimmy putting pen to paper as well. but i think marquis should just move on it's not worked for him here and just coz we're a league lower now i do't think that will make no difference tbh. some players are just not cut out to play for millwall, we're not your everyday club let's face it! i don't think marquis can handle it.

• May 26, 2015 at 10:19

Mr Kelly this is so boring - please get us some real Wall news on how we are going to bounce back straight away and get a player like Beckford to score goals - JM yep that will set Div 1 alight. Roll on
    Blackpool and Wigan away. Youngsters youngsters youngsters that's all we ever read please change the record thank you.

• May 26, 2015 at 10:23

Is it just me or doe's anyone else feel this wait for Jimmy to sign a new deal unsettling? I really hope he doe's sign a new contract, we need player's like him!

• May 26, 2015 at 11:09

@tedmillwall: I think the transfer window doesn't open till 1st July, so I am not even sure we can sign players before then. No panic, there's plenty of time and Jimmy no doubt is negotiating, as he should do.

• May 26, 2015 at 18:07

@glyngo:
          Jimmy can sign when he wants, he is our player we don't have to wait for any date. Blokes probably just on holiday.

• May 26, 2015 at 11:47

@mekongriver I guess you would rather have the 30+ rejects of the last few seasons eh buddy. Look where that made us end up. Our youngsters can't be any worse than Maierhofer etc and actually possess the desire to play for the badge (ie Nelson) instead of settling for 1 final pay day.

• May 26, 2015 at 13:51

@Millwall_Matt: I totally agree that we need to change appraoch from the last three or four season and look into the club rather than out of the club for our future. Yes of course we will need a few experienced heads to help the youth along but we should be focussing on our academy as we will not be able to a) compete finacially for the players we really want and b) get good players to drop to our level.

That all said having just got back from a two week work trip to Veinna and going to watch the Vienna derby (Rapid Vienna v RK Austrian Vienna) I was shocked at how poor they were bearing in mind Rapid are on course to be in the Champions League next year. It was like a sh&te championship game at best. I also went to so RK Vienna Austria against some unpronouncable drivvel from else where in Austria (again a top flight game in Austria) and they only had 6 thousand in the crowd and it was the WORST game I have ever watched...yep I said it worst as in even worse that the rubbish we have had to watch this year... so we should be grateful that at least with a youth policy at Millwall we will see the lads trying and we know we can will get better.... the poor buggers in Austria have our worst as their best!

They can keep the Hoff though!

• May 26, 2015 at 22:21

@Millwall_Matt: that's not what he is suggesting at all. He is just stating a fact that the only news we are fed about playing staff for next season is about the youngsters we already have in our ranks as if it's something to get excited about and frankly it isn't. Our standards are so low now it's unbelievable

• May 26, 2015 at 11:15

As much as I would like to see Jimmy sign a new contract, he is not irreplaceable because ball winning grafters are more commonplace than those with other skills and it's the creative side that needs nurturing in the team.

• May 26, 2015 at 11:26

If you were Lewisham John why would you be in any hurry to make a decision. He has offers from two clubs in the same division that can't be that much different with regards to terms. If I was him I would be waiting to see who NH signs up front before deciding whether I have a good chance of getting a fair crack at starting most weeks.

• May 26, 2015 at 13:52

@Moody: A tough one to call Moody. Jimmy is one the better ball winners we have seen for a while and may be...just may be... in this league he will finally work out how to pass.

• May 26, 2015 at 18:09

@tallchap18:
        Who had the best percentage of passes completed last season from our midfield?............... JIMMY! This myth that he cannot pass is getting boring.

• May 26, 2015 at 22:02

@82wall: steady on 82 it was obviously meant tongue in cheek.

That said, I could have said passes over ten yards and then I would have had a better point. I love jimmy and think he always puts in a shift but he is not a player who starts good moves with a range of passes....ten yards, backwards and sideways is more his thing but as long as we keep the ball (your point about passes completed). I am not complaining.

• May 26, 2015 at 22:38

@tallchap18:
            Sorry if you felt I come across abit full on pal, didn't mean it to sound like that. But if I had a pound for everytime someone said Jimmy can't pass, Id have a fair few quid more. Agree with the other points.

• May 27, 2015 at 23:48

@82wall: I love Jimmy but have to admit that his ball retention has been terrible in the past, having said that he did improve this season but is that stat actually fact??? Astounding if it is.

• May 26, 2015 at 11:50

The key word in this headline is SET lets hope all three players mentioned do actually sign longer contracts as I think they all have real potential , I was pretty shocked to see Fred on the bench at Wembley I though he had scored a few important goals for Wycombe ? . As for jimmy I hope he will resign not the most gifted player but attitude and effort are spot and who knows after that header he may even turn into a goal machine .

• May 26, 2015 at 11:59

@mfc2u: Fred had been on the bench at Wycombe before the playoffs, it seems as though Ainsworth was opting for experience over youth.

• May 26, 2015 at 22:03

Thanks for that Glyngo I suppose I only saw the headlines when Fred scored lets hope he is saving it all for next season @glyngo:

• May 26, 2015 at 12:11

If july 1st is when the transfer window open's,i do not think we are going to get any cast iron decision's from club or player's.NH has said he has certain target's .so let's wait and see what July 1st bring's.
    THEN WE CAN EITHER CELEBRATE OR MOAN.
    I for one am in favour of NH way forward,if i read it right is youth,power and pace.We have the youth and pace,so let us hope NH has some power in the pipe line.
    Untill then why worry.

• May 26, 2015 at 12:49

@jim1222: totally agree with that Jim, so many variables up int he air, how can we know what is possible next season without knowing who our playing staff will be. Hopefully the club are lining up a few targets for early July signature, but I would not be surprised if some drag into August. Hogan Ephraim and Nico Yennaris are two Wycombe players I would love to see at the Den.

• May 26, 2015 at 13:54

@jim1222: Jim - you are right. However, every manager I have ever heard in this division has said, pace and power is the plan. Not sure the quality that you need with it will be so easy to find...lets hope so.

• May 26, 2015 at 14:11

Jos Hooiveld released by Southampton, got to be worthwhile offering something a decent 1 year deal free to go if we fail to go up at first attempt.
    If he says no, he says no.

• May 26, 2015 at 14:36

@brooker: Perhaps you are right but that would mean that Beevers has no place as Sid is the right footer and we would hve two left footers both of who are decent enough. I reckon Beevers is almost as good and a cheaper option.

• May 26, 2015 at 16:26

@tallchap18: I'd let Beevers go if we sign hoov permanent.

He won't come but you have to sound him out. He might be sorted for life cash wise and actually want to play for us because he wants to.

• May 26, 2015 at 17:16

We have gone in for the big lump Hanson from Bradford apparently. Could be a decent addition at this level. On Fred, a Wycombe mate tells me his performances were tailing off recently. I hope Bomber gets him going or can see him out on loan again. Good luck to the lad anyway COYL NOLU

• May 26, 2015 at 17:56

@WestKentLion: fred couldnt get a game, marquis couldnt get a game, the brave new dawn shipped 9 in our last 3 games, 9-1 is possibly the worst bet ive ever seen , sorry for the gloom but i look at that squad and its poor .

• May 26, 2015 at 20:27

@thecolumbusblock: Cannot agree with you about the squad, I think we have every reason to be optimistic about next season, Super Neil & Livers look to be a good management team, O'Brien, Greg's PCH, Martin, Fred, Pavey, Phillpot & Marquis if he re-signs is a good set of forwards, Upson & Williams were god players in Div 1 add Jimmy,Powell, Thompson
        decent looking midfield, Cummings, Sid, Beevers, TC will come back as skipper, good defence, just some cover needed ,Forde will go, maybe Archer will sign, looks a decent squad to me

• May 27, 2015 at 10:01

@Weller: i really hope you're right and im wrong, but 8 of those players you named are unproven therein lies the problem, i like o'brien and i hope gregory has found his level, williams and upson can play for sure but it looks sparse to me, time will tell and i'll be delighted if you can shove this down my throat come next may .

• May 27, 2015 at 11:35

@Weller: hi weller just read your take on our players for next season why has Webster been left out ?coco tried to knock him no matter how he played Charlton Away!!!! Other than that it looks a good nought for div 1 I would lean towards Tom Pope as an extra striker would he come down south? Looking foreword to next season COYL

• May 27, 2015 at 23:50

@bhorne43: said it before and will say it again, Webster and Beevers were a very good partnership that deserves another chance

• May 26, 2015 at 17:22

Hovield is being release by Southampton get him asap great 2 hear dat are youngers are getting new contract f*** jm he s*** tbh anyway onwards and upwards COYL NOLU, WDC

• May 26, 2015 at 17:39

Don't rate Hanson he was pooh at the den he's not the quality we need not for half a mill imo.

• May 26, 2015 at 19:43

The thought of Upson and Williams in midfield alone makes me happy for next season

• May 28, 2015 at 18:56

@Dazi: bomber played Upson on the wing not in the middle m8

• May 26, 2015 at 19:54

The squad full of youngsters will need a senior backbone. Running from the goalkeeper to the centre half to a ball winning midfielder and a strong forward. If we sign players who fit that bill then I think we'll have a promotion winning season. Forde must want to go and no doubt he will bring in some dosh, so I'd have a look at getting in these new players, spend the limited money wisely and go for it. Millwall fans are no mugs-Season tickets already up based on the previous season because we can see a new direction.

• May 26, 2015 at 22:06

@NICKOLA: I must admit I got my season ticket the day they came on sale... No point mucking about I was always going to go no matter what league we ended up in. I agree though that I am looking forward to next season for the first time in years as I think we will get sorted out at last. Not sure we will get promoted next season but I reckon we will finally give it a good go.

• May 26, 2015 at 23:51

We've put a deal on the table for Hanson he's not worth half a mill 200.000 if that hope I'm wrong and he goes on to score 20 plus but just don't see it happening target man for others to feed off maybe

• May 27, 2015 at 06:00

Hanson aledgedly yep great new dawn if it happens - real Wall player there. NH states we want Wall players through and through not journeymen and money seeking footballers led by their agents.
    Jimmi won't sign after his mate Gueye got the heave ho - he'll probably go to France to be near his family and so would I. Yep bring it on new dawn I can see more money being wasted and it ain't even June yet. No Wall fans where ever you are the Den will be concreted over just like all the green belt in our country being bulldozed to line the pockets of foreign investors. Vote No to Europe.

• May 27, 2015 at 11:38

Just noticed the league table at the top of this page. How the f*** did Blackpool get relegated when they played 1 more game than everybody else.

• May 27, 2015 at 11:44

See that Jos Hooiveld has been released by Southampton or do we use Byron Webster when he gets his confidence back with Nelson or Beevers?

• May 27, 2015 at 13:40

Get jos in for a year we'll help the younger boys improve think we should have kept goodman aswell