Millwall manager Harris still working on summer targets list

MILLWALL boss Neil Harris says work is continuing on drawing up a list of targets in preparation for next season’s League One campaign.

The club recently released 18 players with Harris, who took over from Ian Holloway in March, obviously determined to stamp his mark on the new squad.

The Lions struggled in front of goal last season with Wigan Athletic and Blackpool, the only sides to finish below them in the table, also the only sides to score fewer goals.

A striker would seem a priority but Harris must also address concerns at the back – only Blackpool and Fulham conceded more in the Championship last season.

“It's certainly ongoing,” Harris said. “We’ve identified a lot of players we are keen on and we would like to bring to the club.

“As I’m finding out as a new manager, it isn’t always that straightforward.

“There’s a lot of factors to take into the equation but we are certainly looking at bringing players in.”

But Harris won’t rush any potential acquisitions, highlighting the importance of assessing more than just a player’s ability.

“I think football has changed to what it used to be,” he explained. “There’s different aspects now and player management is certainly one.

“Recruitment is a big part now, in-depth recruitment. We’re going down the route of wanting to get the right character as well as the right player.

“There's a specialist in the job now, (Head of Recruitment) Andrew Mills, and him coming in is certainly part of that recruitment process.

“If that helps us get the right personnel on and off the pitch, then perfect.”

Harris also said the club are busy finalising plans for pre-season opponents.

“We’re getting there, all will be revealed soon.

“Pre-season is normally difficult for Millwall with police always overzealous, and policing costs, so we will take that into the equation.

“But it’s a work in process.”

John Kelly

(@jkelly1882)

23 thoughts on “Millwall manager Harris still working on summer targets list

• May 18, 2015 at 08:22

Unlike Ollie and Lomas I trust you completely to bring the RIGHT! Type of players into the club. There's 1000's of football players out there but only a handful that could be Millwall players! Our last two managers found that out the hard way. For the first time in 3 years I'm actually looking forward to the season ahead. COYL!!!

• May 18, 2015 at 08:36

Go for young hungry players we don't want any more journey men in Harris we trust

• May 18, 2015 at 09:02

@John: I think we've got enough youngsters at the moment. I think we need to bring in some experienced and more physical players to fill the gaps that the youngsters leave. But by experienced, I mean 27-ish. Not 37-ish, which our previous managers seemed to love. But something tells me Harris knows they're not as good as Holloway and lomas thought. Having a manager with a brain is quite exciting isn't it!

• May 18, 2015 at 08:50

Perhaps bringing in a few players to the club who are originally from London and south of the country because for too long we constantly hear about players being unhappy and wanting to go back up north etc. and that impacts on their own performance and ultimately the team suffers.

• May 18, 2015 at 10:08

@Bexley_Lion: I totally agree with you. For example Jay Emmanual-Thomas is 24, a free agent and was born in London so he ticks all the right boxes. I would like to see him as our first signing.

• May 18, 2015 at 09:19

good call Bexley_Lion remember back to when John Docherty won promotion to the old 1st Division he built the team with players that came from in and around the London area, they were settled and proved to be the right decision. You should never say never but this is a good starter for ten as far as i am concerned.

• May 18, 2015 at 09:42

• May 18, 2015 at 09:52

It's great we are moving in the right direction regarding players. I trust Harris to get the right players in . My only concern is we can attract players who want to play with youngsters. And Harris has enuff reputation as a manager to persuade good pro's to come to us I hope I'm just being paranoid. Time will tell but whatever happens I'll go home and away and support the lions and with abit of luck pride will be restored to our club with Harris and co.

• May 18, 2015 at 10:45

Must be a tough time for Neil, his first time dipping into a transfer market, also I agree he doesn't want to rush into it but he cant be too slow out the blocks either, a fine balancing act for an experienced manager let alone a new one.

Like we need to give the young players opportunity and support, we will also have to allow Harris time and the odd mistake, he will get some players wrong and make the wrong choices on occasion, its how he will learn.

• May 18, 2015 at 11:07

Just read that Forde might be joining Derby in the summer on a free.

Why on a free????
    I thought we'd just tied him into a new contract, please tell me that clown and AA didn't put a relegation clause in the contract?

• May 18, 2015 at 11:59

@brooker: guessing Forde is probably our highest earner, so another big earner off the wage bill, will be no loss IMO!

• May 18, 2015 at 12:10

@dpendet: not a problem him going, I just thought we'd get some money for him

• May 18, 2015 at 11:24

Holloway a pundit on BT sports at Wembley Lomas after Orient job wow what a job these managers have after all as all the commenters say what a great job he has done in difficult circumstances - makes me sick. Anyway Lionesses undefeated so far and won 3-2 last match now that's what you call a team. Still if Bomber and Livers read this CORR, PROSSER and BENTLEY from Southend if they don't get promoted - you know it makes sense. If Forde goes it will be the end of an era - ha ha.
    Please lots of likes for this thread - after a manager's job. thanks.

• May 18, 2015 at 11:50

@Mekongriver: Think that NH would know all about the Southend players. Agree about Bentley - also thought that Ben Coker looked useful at left back, which is a priority position for next season.

• May 18, 2015 at 12:20

That's all good super neil but don't make the same mistake as the other two muppets and wait to long and miss out on your targets

• May 18, 2015 at 12:24

That's all good super nh but don't do what the other two muppets done and wait to long and miss your targets

• May 19, 2015 at 12:59

One for the future could be Lee Angol ( Luton Town) who has been on loan at Borehamwood this season, who have just been promoted to The Conference.
    21 years old 6'2" 13 stone + and a goalscorer...

• April 6, 2016 at 19:08

This is April 6th 2016 & I'm leaving a comment:)