Millwall manager under no pressure to sell retained players

MILLWALL Manager Neil Harris is under no pressure to sell any player retained for next season.

The Lions boss admits he can't help other clubs becoming interested in his players after relegation to League One, but doesn't have to offload.

And Harris has said the only way players will be leaving is if they are unhappy and wish not to play for Millwall.

“I can't guarantee that no one will bid of our players," Harris said.  "We’ve got some good players, so people are going to be interested, of course they are.

"Teams are going to be interested in good players I know, for a fact, the chairman isn't going to sell anybody so that takes it out of the equation if clubs do bid.

"I want happy players, I want players that want to play for the football club and if they don't want to play for the club then they can leave and move on, that's not a problem.

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

27 thoughts on “Millwall manager under no pressure to sell retained players

• May 15, 2015 at 09:14

I thought we had kept the 'Happy Players' and already got rid of the sulky ones. Can't think of any player that will command decent money at the moment, but I am looking forward to seeing who we bring in

• May 15, 2015 at 09:49

@beedoscores: No, we got rid of the players who were out of contract (except Lee Martin), some of whom I am sure would have been happy to stay and continue to draw fat salaries while contributing little.
      If Forde, for example, is still a Millwall player in September I will be amazed. I am sure clubs will come in for players and we will sell. What Harris is saying is he doesn't need to sell but if players want to go they can.

• May 15, 2015 at 11:01

@junkmale: Only players I expect that might attract interest are Williams/Forde/Beevers/Webster/Upson. Of those four I could see Webster and Beevers asking to leave, they seem unsettled and who can blame them after how much they have been mucked around. They should have played most of last season together as a partnership.

• May 15, 2015 at 11:44

@glyngo: Like you i totally agree about Webster and Beevers and i hope they stay.

• May 15, 2015 at 11:07

@beedoscores: Wishful thinking - I'd love to know who we have left is worth that much transfer money? We had the pre-season fire-sale before we went down in 2006 and we sold some good players in 1996, but we have no real stars of much worth this time round.

• May 15, 2015 at 09:21

You may want 'Happy Players' but we want a team that will also get us back to the Championship. So now it looks like the vultures are swooping in and want our young talent. Sounds a familiar story.

• May 15, 2015 at 09:22

Referring to Forde presumably, who is certain to go anyway.

• May 15, 2015 at 09:40

If you want a happy team give our young talent decent contracts and show real intent on keeping our youngsters. Or all you do is make it easy for bigger clubs to lure our young lions. Or is this just doing it on the cheap. I respect our chairman and Harris but you can't buy quality on primark money

• May 15, 2015 at 09:40

Whilst the last 3 years for Millwall have been very depressing, one of the plus points has been achieving Level 2 status for our Academy. It is clear we are now beginning to produce some excellent talent for the future. However, due to the size of our club we will always be a selling club. This is understandable as it must be extremely hard to resist some of the tempting offers that will come in for our youngsters. Nevertheless, the board must resist these if they wish to return to the Championship.
    I for one am very excited for the comming season even though I do not expect promotion. I know it is going to be tough for our young cubs but from what Bomber has been saying these past 2 weeks, he is clearly trying to install the right attitude and level of commitment from his players, along with respect to us the supporters. Installing this attitude within the Team will produce the performances that we as supporters want to see. This is what I believe is "what bringing my Millwall back" really means. Any fool can support the top Premier Leagues but supporting Millwall is about passion and the need to see commitment for the cause. If Bomber can achieve this he will always have the respect and support of true Millwall supporters,

• May 15, 2015 at 09:52

Have heard that Birmingham are after Forde,How true is this I don't know its some thing that's just going around a the moment

• May 15, 2015 at 10:26

All THAT I pray For Next Season Is That The Kid's Come On A Bundle And Don't Let Us Down Anything Else Will Be A Bonus Playoffs I Will Happy Promotion I Will Be Ecstatic

• May 15, 2015 at 10:26

All THAT I pray For Next Season Is That The Kid's Come On A Bundle And Don't Let Us Down Anything Else Will Be A Bonus Play offs I Will Happy Promotion I Will Be Ecstatic

• May 15, 2015 at 11:38

Our Aacademy is finally producing good players which must be the way forward. The problem is that not only do we have Premiership clubs sniffing around, now we've got the menace of clubs from the Championship doing it too. Going to be difficult to hang on to some of them once a carrot has been dangled before them. Our future lies with youth and under Bomber we're going to see them playing for the first team. A difficult balance though between playing them and getting results and that will be the true test next season.

• May 15, 2015 at 11:44

Some decent players being release from Champ, worth a look at Harris? I mean Matt Mills from Bolton for an experienced option at the back wouldn't be a bad shout i don't think..

• May 15, 2015 at 12:19

I hope the kids aren't given tons of abuse from certain sections that are never bloody happy.
    They need time, patience and confidence, can do without being knocked by the home support.
    If they make a mistake or 3 (which they will) we need to gee em up not put them down.

• May 15, 2015 at 13:53

Its a new Era now for Millwall, new young manager in Bomber, the youngsters that will now be given a chance to play first team football & surely we will be fielding one of the youngest teams in the division !! as we go forward in these exciting times, we all should remember that we go forward together , us the fans giving the team & management our total positive support , no negativity, the board also giving Bomber & Livers major support & not selling our best youngsters as they shine . We know from the past this is not an easy division to get out of , but let us make the rest of the division know we are here & let them fear us .

• May 15, 2015 at 13:59

Unfortunately this club has, and never has had any business sense when it comes to selling players. Most decent players who leave go for peanuts. So when any offer comes in, we will sell and that won't change now.

• May 15, 2015 at 16:15

One player i hope sticks around is upson, he was hitting some passes when he got run in team and I'm thinking did he mean that, well the conclusion was yes he did ! so give him an extension pronto !

• May 15, 2015 at 18:43

I watched Southend and Stevenage last night and that's DIV2 with our squad at the moment and all the hype about the youngsters which is so boring - our team would not be able to live with either of those teams. All this positive about relegation for Christ sake and all the positives make me physically sick - how can you be positive getting relegated. Well will see - bad leadership, bad decisions money wasted and lots of it - makes me sick WE NEED A NIGEL SPACKMAN at least he said he needed his players to gel. No way promotion next year with our 7,000 crowds if that and oh yes seeded in the Johnstone Paint Trophy wow - still we will be in the first round of the FA cup next season - yep really exciting can't wait.

• May 15, 2015 at 19:05

If millwall supporters ain't happy go and support Man U and become glory hunters like the other mugs what we are is what we are id support them whatever division a true lion as for the moaning mob place will be happier without you come on you lions