Millwall manager under no pressure to sell retained players

MILLWALL Manager Neil Harris is under no pressure to sell any player retained for next season.

The Lions boss admits he can't help other clubs becoming interested in his players after relegation to League One, but doesn't have to offload.

And Harris has said the only way players will be leaving is if they are unhappy and wish not to play for Millwall.

“I can't guarantee that no one will bid of our players," Harris said.  "We’ve got some good players, so people are going to be interested, of course they are.

"Teams are going to be interested in good players I know, for a fact, the chairman isn't going to sell anybody so that takes it out of the equation if clubs do bid.

"I want happy players, I want players that want to play for the football club and if they don't want to play for the club then they can leave and move on, that's not a problem.

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

27 thoughts on “Millwall manager under no pressure to sell retained players

• May 15, 2015 at 09:14

I thought we had kept the 'Happy Players' and already got rid of the sulky ones. Can't think of any player that will command decent money at the moment, but I am looking forward to seeing who we bring in

• May 15, 2015 at 09:49

@beedoscores: No, we got rid of the players who were out of contract (except Lee Martin), some of whom I am sure would have been happy to stay and continue to draw fat salaries while contributing little.
      If Forde, for example, is still a Millwall player in September I will be amazed. I am sure clubs will come in for players and we will sell. What Harris is saying is he doesn't need to sell but if players want to go they can.

• May 15, 2015 at 11:01

@junkmale: Only players I expect that might attract interest are Williams/Forde/Beevers/Webster/Upson. Of those four I could see Webster and Beevers asking to leave, they seem unsettled and who can blame them after how much they have been mucked around. They should have played most of last season together as a partnership.

• May 15, 2015 at 11:44

@glyngo: Like you i totally agree about Webster and Beevers and i hope they stay.

• May 15, 2015 at 11:07

@beedoscores: Wishful thinking - I'd love to know who we have left is worth that much transfer money? We had the pre-season fire-sale before we went down in 2006 and we sold some good players in 1996, but we have no real stars of much worth this time round.

• May 15, 2015 at 09:21

You may want 'Happy Players' but we want a team that will also get us back to the Championship. So now it looks like the vultures are swooping in and want our young talent. Sounds a familiar story.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.