Released midfielder thanks Millwall fans for their support

FORMER MILLWALL midfielder Martyn Woolford has thanked Millwall fans for their support after he was told he wouldn’t be offered a new deal.

The 29-year-old was one of eighteen players told last week they would be released at the end of their contract and said it was sad to see an end to his Millwall career.

And Woolford has been quick to thank Lions fans for their well-wishing on social media when the former Scunthorpe man tweeted a photo of himself outside the training ground after collecting his belongings.

“I just want to thank the fans,” Woolford said. “It's always nice to be supported and receive these compliments, it shows you did something right in their eyes. To see a lot of people say they're sad to see me go it's a massive compliment, it means a lot to me, it's nice to be supported.

“This is the first time I've actually run out of contract, so this is the unknown for me. It's never easy leaving a club. You're always leaving good people behind, and a good set of lads, so I'm sad to be leaving. It's sad and exciting at the same time.”

The now former Lion admits this season he was never actually offered a new contract, after his expected deal with Leeds United fell through.

“I was never actually offered a contract,” Woolford said. “So it's never been in my hands. I got told in January when it was all up in the air that because Leeds had come in for me, I was pretty close in the end to going.

“It got to the point where I spoke to the Leeds manager and he expressed interest, at the same time as I was kind of getting pushed out the door at Millwall, so it looked like it was going to happen but it fell through for whatever reason.”

Despite not being offered a new deal, Woolford isn’t one to sit back and accept being out of the team without fighting his way back in.

“I was still at it,” Woolford explained “I kept working hard and found myself back in the team straightaway, which was good. It was a case of getting my head down, seeing the season out and seeing where it takes me.

“That gets seen as having a good attitude and that's great from my point of view that people see it like that.

“If it's a case of moping about and not doing my best on the pitch that wouldn't do the team any favours. It wouldn't do the people at Millwall any favours or myself personally being out of contract in the summer with my future up in the air.”

Woolford added: “I'm never one to just not try and think they don't want me, I’ll work hard. I’ve worked hard throughout my career and that’s done me quite well, so I’m not going to stop.

“Plus it's a case of me being told that for whatever reason it's not happening for me at other clubs along the way, so it's always been a case of I'll show you and prove you wrong whether it was here or somewhere else.”

Jay Taylor

(@jay_taylor18)

20 thoughts on “Released midfielder thanks Millwall fans for their support

• May 14, 2015 at 12:05

Good luck Martyn, thanks for all your effort at the den nolu wdc

• May 14, 2015 at 13:42

Good player, never felt he was an issue in the dressing room. Good luck.

• May 14, 2015 at 13:51

Surprised to see him go as I think he'd be a decent player at Division One level, but Harris must have other plans.

• May 14, 2015 at 14:08

thanks martyn you were one of the better players of the last couple of seasons

• May 14, 2015 at 14:36

I was under the impression that he was probably one of the players who wanted to leave and find himself another club. If thats wrong im very surprised Neil let him go, certainly one of our better players.
    GOOD LUCK to you Martyn someone somewhere is going to get themselves a good player for nothing.

• May 14, 2015 at 14:42

In a previous post I suggested he was one of the players we should have retained. Not the most skillful but honest and always tried his hardest when selected. I, personally wish him the best for the future, cant say the same for the majority of the players released recently. Lets hope with a much smaller squad Bomber and his team can hit the ground running next season.

• May 14, 2015 at 14:51

I think in Woolfords case he plays in one of the positions we have a couple of younger kids knocking on the door.
    Your choice Woolford or Fred, Fred will get games next season so Woolford would be expensive back up.

• May 14, 2015 at 21:46

@mfclions: always one knobhead with a comment of a retard obviously a c""" himself

• May 14, 2015 at 16:39

Thanks wooly good luck for the future.he was voted our player of the season two seasons ago! COYL!!!

• May 14, 2015 at 19:25

always thought you put a shift in mate, good luck with the future! i just think it's maybe coz harris want's to see two young pacey wingers down the pitch now and inject some youth to our squad. personally i'd of kept him but there ya go. onwards and upwards.

• May 14, 2015 at 22:44

I always liked Woolford..... Good luck next season!!!!

• May 14, 2015 at 23:12

Morrison needs a loyalty transplant cos he ain't got none wage thief journey man not worth the money he will command knob

• May 15, 2015 at 20:46

mfclions says:

You were not at many games then to make such a comment P***k .

• May 18, 2015 at 20:04

Not a bad player, but his woeful shooting cost us dearly which also to some extent contributed to no new contract offer!