Millwall youngsters looking forward to life under Harris

MILLWALL’s Sid Nelson and Ben Thompson are excited about the future under new boss Neil Harris.

Nelson has played in every game since Harris took charge, while Thompson, who signed a new deal last week, was named on the bench against Wolves.

And the young duo are relishing life at Millwall under Harris next season.

“It’s exciting when you see another of the young lads playing in the first team,” Nelson said.

“When I saw Jack and Aiden coming in at the start of the season, I was buzzing for them. We’ve been playing together for the last few years, week in, week out.

“In first-team football the line-up changes all the time – the manager picks the best team he can to win a game. But in the U21s, it’s the same group every week and that becomes your group. It’s good to see everyone playing now.”

Thompson has had the least playing time – so he’s doubly determined to impress during pre-season.

“I think the manager likes me as a player and he’s tried to get me in and around the first team this year,” Thompson said.

“I’ve been looking at Nicky Bailey and thinking ‘I want to play like that’. He’s aggressive, loves a tackle and he’s got great vision as well. His positioning and talking is all second to none.

“I think I’ll have a good chance next season to show people what I can do.”

14 thoughts on “Millwall youngsters looking forward to life under Harris

• May 13, 2015 at 09:12

You guys are so lucky Ollie left. At least you will have a very bright further under Neil, he will treat you right and bring you through the ranks the right way! Good luck for next season lads I'm sure you won't need it though.

• May 13, 2015 at 10:25

@steveomfc5: Yep this could be the perfect storm with hollway going, bomber getting the job, relegation, all the out of contract players out the door giving the youngsters a chance now and a hugely reduced wage bill giving us the opportunity to bring couple of experienced players, just hope we don't get short changed with the players we bring in !

• May 13, 2015 at 14:02

@jim1222@steveomfc5: i was interested to see eddie howe talking about calum wilson, he said he has to improve to succeed in the prem but that they will improve him with coaching, almost like training a racehorse, makes me think that our situation is similar to bournemouth a couple of years ago (minus a rich russian) , will harris and co be able to improve our youngsters the same way ? A lot to hope for but it does give us hope which we will never have with a teamful of 34 year old loanees.

• May 13, 2015 at 09:17

Good luck to all the youngsters hope there up for it it's going to be a tough season, still need to spend a bit of money on some quality JB don't set these kids up, cheapest option is not best or we could well have another relegation battle.

• May 13, 2015 at 09:33

As Neil has already said, its about getting the blend right between youth and experience. So I certainly don't think we need to worry about the club trying to go "for the cheap option" on building a team just full of inexperienced youth. I think it will be more of a case in bringing the youngsters through gradually and adding experienced additions still under the age of 26-27 who can offer immediate quality to the team for the next 2/3 years on contract, by then those players breaking through the Academy will be more than ready to get involved in first team as starters on match day.

• May 13, 2015 at 12:01

@Bexley_Lion: Being a Crayford myself Bexley I have to agree with all you have stated back to basics as a club mixture of young and a little older and I am sure there would be no point in brining in a head of recruitment if the club were not planning to recruit !

• May 13, 2015 at 09:41

Make3s it sound like a school outing!
    They will be slaughtered in DIV 1 without some decent players to help their undoubted ability to develop

• May 13, 2015 at 09:50

@crow191049: why would they get done in l1..if they are good enough doesn't matter what league there in.

• May 13, 2015 at 11:05

@Jim28: hello jim .i think along your lines on the youngster's,its obvious that if chopper threw in a load of youngster's
        without any experienced player's to guide them we would have trouble,so i cannot see chopper just putting out a team of mainly youngster's at first,but i can see him bringing them in slowly and as he see's fit.
        Was it not a certain Mr Hanson that said on national TV "you cant win anything with kid's".well man unt certainly proved him wrong,and he has not lived those word's down yet.so why cant we do well with kid's as long as the overall team mix is right.

• May 13, 2015 at 09:58

So refreshing to see these (young men) pushing and i am all for adding some experienced pros to help them. Much prefer it this way around than adding one or two youngsters to a team of over paid wage thieves who are just seeing out the end of their careers,, These (kids) are our future..hoping some more make it through exciting times ahead..might not happen over night but i can deffo see it happening,

COY(YOUNG)LIONS..

• May 13, 2015 at 10:17

Glad to see the kids getting a chance. They have to start somewhere and hopefully they can add to the spirit. But we need experienced players as well. We have very few left. Look at Portsmouth if you want to see what happens if you play too many young players - admittedly, they didn't have a choice, but there are lessons there.

• May 13, 2015 at 12:04

Although he was a sicknote and a bit of a wage thief in the end, it is a shame to lose Nicky Bailey. I genuinely believe he had the right idea and abilities to be a 'Real Wall' player.Thompson did mention that he had been looking up to him as a positive influence, I wouldn't mind more players with his aggressive mentality.

Also, Jimmy/Fordey will be captain next season (most Likely Jimmy as Forde will probably go) then in a year or two, Sid WILL be Millwall Captain. You can already clearly see it in the boy!

• May 13, 2015 at 13:15

Good stuff, but where this idea that the first team should continually be changing came from, I don't know. Same 11 week in week out adjust for loss of form and injury only.

• May 13, 2015 at 19:26

whatever happens next season, give the lads a chance they are in the team because the manager picks them on merit so let's not start deriding them if they don't come good straight away. I.K.I.A.I.S.I.A. I'm Millwall til I die.