Map: Millwall face long journeys in League One next year

FOLLOWING the conclusion of the League One season on Sunday, the divisional line-up for 2015-16 is almost complete.

And Millwall fans are facing some long trips up north to see their side away from home next year, after Crawley and Leyton Orient were relegated and MK Dons won promotion.

With play-off matches both in the third tier and League Two still to take place, the final four teams are yet to be decided.

But no matter what, the Lions will be the only London club in League One.

Out of Preston, Swindon, Sheffield United and Chesterfield, only one will go up to the Championship.

In the league below, Wycombe, Southend, Stevenage and Plymouth will battle it out to join Burton and Bury as the newly-promoted sides.

33 thoughts on “Map: Millwall face long journeys in League One next year

• May 3, 2015 at 16:32

I don't want to be in league 2 but I would much rather play

AFC Wimbledon, Dagenham, Leyton Orient, Luton Town, Portsmouth, Oxford, Newport

Than
    Gillingham, Rochdale, Fleetwood, Burton. Barnsley, Oldham! ust gets better, poor old Leyton Orient have been relegated so no f****** London derbies next season!

• May 4, 2015 at 14:04

@North London Lion: I know its a slow train journey from London Bridge, but since when did Gillingham become long-distance?

• May 3, 2015 at 16:46

Preston /Swindon & Sheffield United will all be strong again next season depending on who doesn't go up in the playoffs. Hoping that Southend or Wycombe come up,knowing our luck it'll be Plymouth,another long away day albeit a bigger club.

• May 3, 2015 at 20:33

@North London Lion: I wouldn't worry about Swindon, they have made the same mistake of building a season on loan players again, they will drop down again when the players go back to their own clubs.

• May 3, 2015 at 16:52

can we please bring back the old 3rd div south just for a couple of year's.?

• May 3, 2015 at 16:59

@jim1222: not a bad idea actually. It would create more local derbies, less travelling for fans and players especially midweek trips. Also it would be financially viable especially for smaller clubs. They were on to something years ago lol

• May 3, 2015 at 17:27

Been saying that for a while some trips are ludicrous,first game I saw in the 3rd division south although would sill prefer to be in the championship being an exile from Rotherhithe,teams like Bradford,Rochdale,Bury,Oldham,Fleetwood on my doorstep Sheffield and Barnsley not that far so have to make the best of it,hopefully a short stay

• May 4, 2015 at 09:47

H Jim 1222 Sue here keep the posts coming lol missed not seeing
      you in the blue lately. Have a great summer and enjoy div 1 xx

• May 3, 2015 at 18:00

Just been looking at the table with a mate going through the away games. Some poxy midweeks coming up knowing our luck Plymouth will come up can see Plymouth away on Tuesday and Fleetwood away the Saturday. All the bank holidays baring boxing day will be away days. It ain't gonna be easy and we'll definitely get no favours in the fixture list, just the way we like it.
    Let's hope we get knocked out of the cups early doors as well especially the Johnstones paint.
    Well let's do ourselves and London proud next season and make the northerners trip to London one to forget.
    Looking forward to August already.

• May 3, 2015 at 18:01

Not that bad up here,think we will get something from the Lancashire games,Sheffield the hardest assuming they don't go up if they do got Preston down the road,be good to meet up with some of you from this site COYL

• May 3, 2015 at 18:12

@eddiebrewer: looks like a few nights in Blackpool Eddie
      With Fleetwood down the rd and providing Preston don't go up.
      And perhaps a couple in Liverpool when we go to Crewe and Wigan.
      Will be a massive test on our youngsters but one they should thrive on.

• May 3, 2015 at 18:45

Sounds good look forward to that especially Liverpool go there at least 3 times a month to visit my cousin another lion from Deptford know some good pubs in liverpool always good to hear London accents and a bonus can get saveloys now,agree 100% about youngster make it a short stay in league 1 and a memorable one

• May 3, 2015 at 20:01

@eddiebrewer: i suppose it will be the usaul tuesday night away to wigan and preston..and winter games on the seaside..whoever thinks these up are complete morons

• May 3, 2015 at 18:56

Fleetwood & Blackpool away Easter weekend would be good. Better not let the misses no otherwise I'll have to bring her lol

• May 4, 2015 at 09:33

@block 28: NICE TO SEE YOU JIM AND PETER AT WOLVES, ( SHAME ABOUT THE RESULT,HOPE THE TRAM RIDE CHEERED YOU UP,LOL! ),THINK ITS A GOOD IDEA TO BRING THE MISSUS,THE 400 CLUB AWAY SUPPORT WILL GO UPWARDS.NO ONE LIKES US WE DONT CARE.STORMIN' NORMAN.PS.HAVE A NICE SUMMER EVERYONE.

• May 3, 2015 at 19:37

My fellow Millwall supporters it is good to hear the optimisim in thinking the uoung players coming through will get us back into the championship at the first attempt. Unfortunately Ido not agree with this assumption. I like aiden obrien works hard up front. SID NELSON heart I the right place good in the air not so good with playing ball out from back. I only go to home games now after 40+ years of watching Millwall. I have decided to throw in the towel as league one football is crap. I will not be renewing my membership anymore and feel JB as not really spent in the transfer market when we first got promoted first season was very good then after that all down hill. KJ done very well for us but needed mobey to huy quality but we omly get loan players IH should hsve gone when Bradford beat us 4-0 but yhey stuck with him to long.

• May 3, 2015 at 21:31

@markas: 40+ Years, are you for real? This ain't as bad as it's ever been. What can we expect? We've all got what we signed up to on the first time we came to support this lot. Millwall til I die whatever division we're in and FairPlay to the other 8000 diehards

• May 3, 2015 at 22:30

@markas: 50 yrs plus watching Wall
      your spot on with your post just to enlighten all the positive posts 2/3 years trying to get out of league 1 at best once we get to year 2/3 the promising young players will be sold assets as we didn't achieve instant promotion then the rot sets in Im Wall till I die but also a realist
      Young players great but up against seasoned pros will take its toll, I hope I'm wrong but don't hold your breath

• May 3, 2015 at 22:54

@southstand: Well I ain't got your 50 or markas 40 yrs but I have got 35+ and I don't remember such positivity after a relegation. I'm as optimistic as I usually am but like you I'm a realist and like you I reckon it'll be 3-5 yrs if we don't do it in 1 or 2 all i know is ill be there as much as I can home and away cross a few more grounds off the list sing me heart out and as usual p*** and moan when it goes tits up especially against the pikeys and and Scunny

• May 3, 2015 at 20:50

Let's just hope it's just for one season eh? COYL!!!

• May 3, 2015 at 23:30

Things could have been a lot worse if coco was still in charge ..but for a football fan to say they feel positive about relagation is off there head..
    We have gone down quite a few times since i've supported wall.and everytime it feels the same..ie gutt wrenching..
    plus fans always expect to bounce back quickly then lose patience if we dont..one thing is for sure its gonna take some hard work

• May 4, 2015 at 00:08

Yeah the away games are looking pretty poxy for next season.. As long as we make the den a fortress again the northerners aren't gunna fancy coming down much south either..

• May 4, 2015 at 10:47

Palace and west ham sniffing around O'Brien. I suggest, as a matter of urgency that we decide who we're keeping, sign them up and shove out those that are 'surplus to requirements' and I suggest we do that NOW..

• May 4, 2015 at 11:42

@NICKOLA: i don't think O'Brien or any of our other youngsters will leave just yet as they have only played a few first team games in the Championship. Will they really want to go to the Premiership and just be part of a large squad without possibly even sitting on the bench?

• May 4, 2015 at 11:09

@ NICOLA : I think you'll find they are.

• May 4, 2015 at 17:54

South stand spot on. I also appreciate I am Millwall to I die. However I am so p***** off with going down it hurts. We will not go up next year and we will finish below mid table. I agree with the intro of the young blood but in this division it is kick and rush and no time on the ball the young players do not have the mental or physical strength to play 46 games. Also we have always been a selling club so I can see if no promotion within 2-3 years the good players will be sold.