Report: Wolves 4-2 Millwall

JAMIE Philpot scored with his first touch in senior football as relegated Millwall were beaten 4-2 by Wolves on the final day.

Philpot, who only signed a professional contract this week, tapped in from close range on an afternoon when another academy product, Aiden O'Brien, was also on target.

But the pace and power of Kenny Jackett's side was often too much to handle for the visitors, although Wolves' four-goal haul wasn't enough to get them into the play-offs.

They held a slender lead at half time thanks to Nouha Dicko's 20th-minute strike and he thundered in a terrific second goal after the restart.

O'Brien pulled one back from Lee Gregory's centre only for Ethan Ebanks-Landell to make it 3-1.

But Ed Upson's cross was converted by Philpot eight minutes from time to move Millwall back to within a goal of their hosts.

Bakary Sako made the game safe, however, when the Lions switched off at a free kick and his shot from a narrow angle went between David Forde's legs.

This was Neil Harris' first game since taking over permanently and, despite some chaotic defending, he'll have been pleased with much of the performance.

With one eye already on next season, Harris named a youthful squad at Molineux including no less than six recent graduates of the club's youth system.

Sid Nelson and O'Brien, who have both been regulars under Harris, were joined in the side by central midfielder Jack Powell.

Mark Beevers and Upson also returned to the line-up after illness and suspension respectively,

Ben Thompson, Alfie Pavey and Philpot were on the bench, but Jos Hooiveld, Nicky Bailey, Martyn Woolford, Ricardo Fuller and Gary Taylor-Fletcher weren't involved.

After an early Millwall corner was only-half cleared by the Wolves defence, Gregory looped a header over the bar from Nelson's cross.

In the 15th minute, Jimmy Abdou's appeals for a penalty fell on deaf ears when his header from Dan Harding's centre appeared to be blocked by an arm.

Referee Mark Haywood waved play on and, after a lightening-quick counter-attack, Rajiv van La Parra got goal-side of the Lions defence only to be denied by Forde.

But Wolves took the lead when Mark Beevers' attempted tackle on Sako diverted the ball into the path of Dicko, who scored from close range.

Lee Martin wasted a good chance to equalise almost immediately but he made a mess of his attempted lob over Tomasz Kuszczak after beating the offside trap.

Powell then drilled harmlessly wide from distance before playing an almost-perfect through ball to Gregory, who was unable to control inside the box.

Following a change of formation at half time, Millwall made a strong start to the second period and Harding fired an early chance wide.

Martin then crossed for O'Brien at the near post and after a couple of bites at the cherry, he finally got a clean strike away and his effort was cleared off the line.

But Wolves doubled their advantage on the break when Dicko rolled Nelson, cut in from the left flank and drove an unstoppable shot into the top corner.

O'Brien quickly made it 2-1 when Jack Powell's free kick was parried to Gregory, who fired the ball back across goal to leave the youngster with an easy finish.

Millwall enjoyed a spell of dominance after the goal, with Upson and Gregory shooting over from good positions on the edge of the box and Martin testing Kuszczak.

But after Harding brought down Afobe in the right channel, Sako's ferocious free kick went through a crowd of bodies before being turned in by Ebanks-Landell.

Back came the Lions, however, and Philpot, minutes after coming on for his debut, slid in at the far post to convert Upson's deep cross and make it 3-2.

The youngster had to be substituted moments later after picking up an injury – meaning he was on the field for a total of just eight minutes.

Sako put an added gloss on the scoreline with Wolves' fourth goal in stoppage time, taking advantage of some lapse defending before firing through Forde's legs.

Alex Aldridge


14 thoughts on “Report: Wolves 4-2 Millwall

  • May 2, 2015 at 14:39

    This time next year bombers boy's will be celebrating along with us as we go back to the championship! COYL!!!

    Like (31)
    Dislike (3)
  • May 2, 2015 at 14:41

    P.s. well done to jamie and aiden for scoring today!!@

    Like (29)
    Dislike (0)

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.