Harris: Millwall fans should judge me as a manager now

NEIL Harris believes Millwall fans who idolised him as a player should form "separate" opinions of him as a manager.

The ex-striker achieved legendary status at The Den in 2009 when he became the Lions' all-time leading goalscorer, surpassing Teddy Sheringham's record.

In total, he racked up 138 goals in 432 appearances during two spells at the club.

But following his appointment as permanent manager this week, Harris says he does not expect to live off former glories with the supporters.

He said: "I'm well-liked by the fans for what I achieved on the pitch but it's important for me to separate the two.

"As a player, yes, I had a very successful career at the club and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I'm going to be judged as a manager and I have no qualms with that whosever.

"You always go into a new job with a nervousness about what's in front of you and this is a new position for me, but there is also huge excitement.

"I will be judged by the fans and so will the players. You should be judged every day in what you do, and you have to step up to the challenge.

"That's what I'm going to do, that's what Dave Livermore is going to do and that's what the players will do under me.

"The players will be judged every day by me and they'll have to hit standards, and I will also have to hit standards to be a successful Millwall manager."

46 thoughts on “Harris: Millwall fans should judge me as a manager now

• May 1, 2015 at 07:21

Pure class. No rhetoric, just common sense. Trouble is, every time I read a quote from Bomber I hate Holloway just a little bit more............

• May 1, 2015 at 12:43

@lion.ie: there's no problem with hating him more. He had a golden opportunity with the most loyal fans, a great chairman prepared to let him create something amazing and he blew it.

• May 1, 2015 at 07:30

the board needs to give Chopper all he wants moneywise and trust his judgement .....he has the fans on his side and knows what is best ....22 good players in the squad who can all play we have about 16 already so 6 to come in .....I cant wait to see who he wants......roll on August

• May 1, 2015 at 08:02

@SE17 Lion: dont you mean bomber? or are you chelsea lol

• May 1, 2015 at 08:44

@alpha_dogg: did i hurt your feelings..

• May 1, 2015 at 10:22

@Jim28: @Jim28: @Jim28: Neil himself says his nickname is Chopper all the club call him that too .....Bomber ,Chopper does it matter that much ? I ll call him Bomber in future for you Jim

• May 1, 2015 at 12:48

he never played for Chelsea so don't call him chopper

He also never flew a f****** plane so you shouldn't call him bomber.

Let's give him a brand spanking new nickname

• May 1, 2015 at 14:43

@brooker: i think bopper would please both camps

• May 1, 2015 at 15:21

@brooker: I suppose Rolf would be out of the question!

Comments are closed.

You must have an active subscription to view further comments and leave your own.