Harris: Millwall fans should judge me as a manager now

NEIL Harris believes Millwall fans who idolised him as a player should form "separate" opinions of him as a manager.

The ex-striker achieved legendary status at The Den in 2009 when he became the Lions' all-time leading goalscorer, surpassing Teddy Sheringham's record.

In total, he racked up 138 goals in 432 appearances during two spells at the club.

But following his appointment as permanent manager this week, Harris says he does not expect to live off former glories with the supporters.

He said: "I'm well-liked by the fans for what I achieved on the pitch but it's important for me to separate the two.

"As a player, yes, I had a very successful career at the club and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now I'm going to be judged as a manager and I have no qualms with that whosever.

"You always go into a new job with a nervousness about what's in front of you and this is a new position for me, but there is also huge excitement.

"I will be judged by the fans and so will the players. You should be judged every day in what you do, and you have to step up to the challenge.

"That's what I'm going to do, that's what Dave Livermore is going to do and that's what the players will do under me.

"The players will be judged every day by me and they'll have to hit standards, and I will also have to hit standards to be a successful Millwall manager."

46 thoughts on “Harris: Millwall fans should judge me as a manager now

• May 1, 2015 at 07:21

Pure class. No rhetoric, just common sense. Trouble is, every time I read a quote from Bomber I hate Holloway just a little bit more............

• May 1, 2015 at 12:43

@lion.ie: there's no problem with hating him more. He had a golden opportunity with the most loyal fans, a great chairman prepared to let him create something amazing and he blew it.

• May 1, 2015 at 07:30

the board needs to give Chopper all he wants moneywise and trust his judgement .....he has the fans on his side and knows what is best ....22 good players in the squad who can all play we have about 16 already so 6 to come in .....I cant wait to see who he wants......roll on August

• May 1, 2015 at 10:22

@Jim28: @Jim28: @Jim28: Neil himself says his nickname is Chopper all the club call him that too .....Bomber ,Chopper does it matter that much ? I ll call him Bomber in future for you Jim

• May 1, 2015 at 12:48

he never played for Chelsea so don't call him chopper

He also never flew a f****** plane so you shouldn't call him bomber.

Let's give him a brand spanking new nickname

• May 1, 2015 at 14:43

@brooker: i think bopper would please both camps

• May 1, 2015 at 15:21

@brooker: I suppose Rolf would be out of the question!

• May 1, 2015 at 07:43

Good luck Bomber - the fans are with you regardless. Ensure all those youngsters are part of the new Millwall setup and no more journeyman pros looking for a last pay day!

• May 1, 2015 at 07:47

As long as the board and ambler let Harris do things his way and give him the same funds to work with as hollowhead I can't see a proplem and Harris will get us our millwall back ,,,,, in Harris we trust Coul

• May 1, 2015 at 08:09

Will never be able to separate the two..we know your our manager and we respect that but your also our all time scorer...

• May 1, 2015 at 09:45

@Jim28: Jim it seem's you are upsetting people in as much, do we call our new manager chopper or bomber,at the end of the day we all know who we are talking about,now i know you do not need me to defend you,but it annoy's me when people get personal when someone such as yourself make's a light hearted remark.
      You may or may not be a know all,but what i do know is you are a top Millwall fan.
      COYL

• May 1, 2015 at 10:39

@jim1222: i think it might have something to do with the emotional season we've had.that some cant take a joke.if your at wolves i'll see you there if not ..i know your be back down the den next season..

• May 1, 2015 at 09:30

It's so refreshing to see a manager being constructive in his appraisal of the situation going forward, as opposed to the waffle of previous regimes.

• May 1, 2015 at 09:59

We could always call him Harris.
    Just an idea.

• May 1, 2015 at 10:01

The thing i like about this article is that it show's Bomber/Chopper aint going to hide behind any thing or anyone,also he is not going to allow the player's to hide.
    For a man to become top goalscorer at any club,he has to show many qualities to reach such a milestone ,loyalty and inner steel and skill are just three but in my view the most important three,he had this in abundance as a player,this article show's he is going into his new job with that same attitude and qualities.
    In the interview's that he has given i do not think Bomber will have any problem's articulating his idea's across to the player's,so there should be no excuse's from said player's if they do not perform.
    Now it is up to us fan,s to give as much support as we can to the team.
    COYL

• May 1, 2015 at 10:05

If you didnt listen to JB on lions live last night, it might be worth having a listen, IMO was very honest and open, you could hear how he felt let down by some! he would be 'open' to new investment but not a buy out UNLESS it was to the benefit of the club, and his renewed enthusiasm for the new season with Harris as manager.

• May 1, 2015 at 10:25

What a guy Harrs is, absolutely love him as a person and as a player, maybe too early to judge as a manager as made a couple of strange decisions in games so far, like brining on Fuller when we was 3-1 up whereas Jackett would have brought on another defensive midfielder!

If I'm judging him on his managerial record it's 2 wins from 9, not great, less than 30% win ratio although we have played so much better and the players actually look like they give a s***

• May 1, 2015 at 10:45

@Bradders: Bradder's you have given a good over view on the situation,with a little more managerial experience that should have been four win's,brentford and derby should not have been allowed to come back for draw's,that said ,we have to cut bomber some slack for the coming season,one of the danger's i can see is,bomber being to hard on himself if thing's dont go his way at the start, if thing's dont go right immedietly, that is where we come in by giving him as much vocal support as possible.I have a feeling we will be OK and we will be able to build with our youngster's.
      Gregory's confidence has grown,O'Brien just need's a couple of goal's,with the youngster's we have we just need a couple of sensible head's to guide them on the pitch,
      I am going to have a good summer looking forward to our new Millwall for next season.
      COYL

• May 1, 2015 at 10:36

Can't really judge him yet let's start to judge bomber in league one and the players once we see him have more games then we will be able to tell

• May 1, 2015 at 10:57

People like to put people down it's human nature, not nice but we all do it. Now there's fair criticism and unfair criticism depending on your point of view and there is pure just slagging people off because they're not doing the job we want them to do, on this site we are mainly referring to players managers etc. Take the term wage thieves new to me but ask yourself this question would you turn down a job purely because you didn't think you was worth the wages?
    Chopper or Bomber, Bomber or Chopper this is the question. Well the term chopper would suggest a player rather ruthless in the tackle and belongs to a certain Ron who if my memory serves me right was a tough no nonsense tackler where as bomber refers to a certain Arthur head of bomber command. Is either of these names suit our Mr Harriis? Everyone is entitled to they're own opinion, maybe we should ask Chopper oh I mean Bomber ;) Does it really matter?

• May 1, 2015 at 11:39

Lets just call him "BOPPER" and end this madness....

• May 1, 2015 at 11:55

holding a 2 goal lead is not as easy as some think .....a dive and a great volley got Derby a draw and Brentford were a good team going for promotion.....its too easy to say its Neils fault ......don't forget he will bring in new players to replace GTF Beevers and Fuller etc even under the pratt Holloway we came back from many 2 goal deficits......our record under Neil was good with the players he had

• May 1, 2015 at 12:11

@SE17 Lion: SE17 i agree 2 goal leads can be hard to hold on to,but if we want to finish at the top we have got to hold on to these lead's.I for one dont blame any manager for a team failing to hold onto a 2-0 lead,but they have to make credible decision's .That is why i say we have to cut Bomber some slack,i just hope the fan's give Bomber time to get it right.(im sure they will)

• May 1, 2015 at 12:36

@SE17 Lion: the fact we're complaining about these two games .says a lot..actually being two up against two high flying high scoring teams .no one would believe you ..considering the position we are in the league..most on here were posting how many we were gonna let it

• May 1, 2015 at 13:58

@Jim28: Very true Jim, they are professionals after all and expect them and the manager to see out a win... I always think we should pack out the midfield and put 5 in when 2 goals to the good (rare I know) and then hit the oppo on the break with quick wingers as they are the ones who need to attack!

• May 1, 2015 at 13:05

I'm sure I readtthat Harris prefers the Chopper nickname and that's what he was called whilst playing.

• May 1, 2015 at 13:14

Sorry but im sticking with Bomber & Dave ( The Old Kent Roads new likely lads )

• May 1, 2015 at 14:02

I hope this clears things up chopper Harris played for Chelsea he wasn't hard he was just a dirty west London c***. Sir Arthur travis Harris was a raf flight commander in WW2. Known as bomber by the press & butcher by his colleagues. But to be honest I don't care wot we call him just as long as will continue to win matches Coyl.

• May 1, 2015 at 15:59

can we draw a comparison between N. Harris and S. Pearce of N.F.? He was a hero there and did well to start with as manager.

• May 1, 2015 at 16:38

@john H: Harris is not Pearce.....in fact he aint Harris ....he is now Bomber Chopper

• May 1, 2015 at 16:51

@SE17 Lion: surely you mean Chopper Bomber ;) I know he's not Pearce I was thinking more of his plight as a manager but I can see reading back on my post that wasn't clear my apologies Neil Harris is a totally different man/ player than Pearce.

• May 1, 2015 at 16:59

To aleviate all confusion.... I'm just going to refer to him as 'Neil'.

• May 1, 2015 at 17:06

I always thought he was called super Neil Harris, that's how the song goes any way ;)

• May 2, 2015 at 01:49

Good luck bomber always loved u as a player no homo this is a bigger challenge 4 u and I think u will do well as a MILLWALL manager let be champions u can do it and so can the lads COYL NOLU, WDC